Options

Petition for a Tabletop Gaming Subforum.

1356711

Posts

  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2006
    thats because its hard to organize and play out a campaign in a single thread




    if you build it, they will come


    GOD

    didn't anyone watch field of dreams?


    i mean




    damn

    Jasconius on
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited February 2006
    Jasconius.

    Edit post.

    Now.

    Or what?

    Knob on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2006
    Jasconius wrote:
    thats because its hard to organize and play out a campaign in a single thread

    I thought this was about a tabletop discussion forum. We certainly don't need a RPG Play forum. What, we'll need subforums for every campaign now? No. Not only is it a black hole it drifts much to far from the core PA ideology (which, while including tabletop games, is MUCH more video game focused).

    apotheos on


    猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2006
    Hey look, someone got jailed for trolling and someone else got jailed for pretending to be a mod.

    Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2006

    Oh like he is a real mod anyhow.

    Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    The CelestialThe Celestial Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    I was attempting to warn Jasc so he didn't get jailed since someone already was jailed once in this forum for smack-talking against AC and WB. I didn't realize that was against the rules.

    The Celestial on
    celbmb8.png
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited February 2006
    Okay, to turn this boat around

    I would use a PnP and Wargaming subforum and think it is a neat idea, however we currently have approximately 15,672,012 subforums and it is getting ridiculous

    Maybe if like five or six of them were to die

    Knob on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    Just sayin'

    Anyhow, as a G&Ter who has no interest in a tabletop forum...I see no problem with having such a forum. Then again, I see no reason to make one, just yet.

    You guys ever try making the kind of threads you'd make in the new forum in an existing forum? Cause I haven't seen many of them. I mean you say they fall off the first page...is it that hard to go to the second page to make a reply? I mean, give these threads a shot in G&T or SE++, and if that's a failure, then you'll have a reason for a new forum. As it stands, it seems like the argument againt using a current forum is "it is kinda inconvienent."

    I sure would not mind an extra thread a day about tabletop gaming in G&T.

    deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    The CelestialThe Celestial Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    You mean like the WoW or CoH forums, right? Personally, I see no reason for having those forums but that's my personal opinion. This all boils down to folks' personal "vision" of the forum.

    The Celestial on
    celbmb8.png
  • Options
    ArthArth Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    Just sayin'

    Anyhow, as a G&Ter who has no interest in a tabletop forum...I see no problem with having such a forum. Then again, I see no reason to make one, just yet.

    You guys ever try making the kind of threads you'd make in the new forum in an existing forum? Cause I haven't seen many of them. I mean you say they fall off the first page...is it that hard to go to the second page to make a reply? I mean, give these threads a shot in G&T or SE++, and if that's a failure, then you'll have a reason for a new forum. As it stands, it seems like the argument againt using a current forum is "it is kinda inconvienent."

    I sure would not mine an extra thread a day about tabletop gaming in G&T.

    It's not even inconvenient. If you don't like looking on the second page, bookmark your thread. It's what I've done with threads I wanted to look at later. Frankly, I'd welcome some more TT game threads, as opposed to more "Best/Worst Boss/Game/Level/Song" threads.

    Arth on
    Artheleron.png
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2006
    You mean like the WoW or CoH forums, right? Personally, I see no reason for having those forums but that's my personal opinion. This all boils down to folks' personal "vision" of the forum.

    Actually, the reason why we have those forums is that there'd be three to six active WoW threads in G&T, D&D and SE and it'd be a huge pain in the ass and they'd actually clog up the other forums. CoH was like that for a while and now it's just sort of there and really, it sort of makes a good bookend.

    Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    Knob wrote:
    Okay, to turn this boat around

    I would use a PnP and Wargaming subforum and think it is a neat idea, however we currently have approximately 15,672,012 subforums and it is getting ridiculous

    Maybe if like five or six of them were to die

    The CoH/CoV subforum seems to have one foot in the grave.

    MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    Nfinit VylenceNfinit Vylence Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    Before trying to justify a PnP board, perhaps it'd make more sense to try and keep a regular tabletop meta-thread active on GnT. One pops up every once in a while, but stuff like Employee's Lounge threads see far more activity.

    Nfinit Vylence on
    The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides. -- Carl Sagan

    For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -- Also Carl Sagan
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2006
    I would just like to comment that, as somebody who has become more into DnD as a result of osmosis, I would not even think to look at G&T for threads on any game that is not a video game. A new subforum might be a nice place for people to congregate. If, say,it wouldn't cause an implosion.

    MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2006
    he even sent me a PM that was formatted to look like I had been jailed

    and I was like


    ok, I will leave it there for Pheezer to read it, because he really enjoys my posts



    also, I don't see the point of a TT board if it wouldnt be used for conducting campaigns. Looking at it from that angle I can see how it would be worthless.

    Jasconius on
  • Options
    The CelestialThe Celestial Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    No no, I clicked on the little "jail" button after I warned you to edit your post and you didn't. I clicked said button because you were obviously trolling and didn't read one page earlier when FyreWulff was jailed for pretty much saying the same thing you did.

    There's no "pretending" there folks.

    The Celestial on
    celbmb8.png
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2006
    No no, I clicked on the little "jail" button after I warned you to edit your post and you didn't. I clicked said button because you were obviously trolling and didn't read one page earlier when FyreWulff was jailed for pretty much saying the same thing you did.

    There's no "pretending" there folks.

    Except for the part where you were pretending to have the authority to make use of a button that was only granted to you as a side effect to your helping run a tournament in a secret forum.

    Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    No no, I clicked on the little "jail" button after I warned you to edit your post and you didn't. I clicked said button because you were obviously trolling and didn't read one page earlier when FyreWulff was jailed for pretty much saying the same thing you did.

    There's no "pretending" there folks.

    you ACTUALLY tried to jail someone?

    holy crap.

    and... and it's not even in the battle forum?

    edit: hay monkey den!

    beavotron on
  • Options
    Elbonian ManElbonian Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    I'd be down for that shit. As to the necessity, I couldn't say, but I'd certainly use it.

    Elbonian Man on
  • Options
    Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    I honestly can't see what all the commotion is about. It really baffles me that there is any opposition to this movement at all. There are enough non-digital gamers here that a subforum like that would be able to survive without a hitch. The only problem I can see would be appointing mods. Thats it.

    I am not going to play the "Hey, theres a <blank> forum so why cant we have ours?" card because I, with all honesty, beleive that this community would flourish if given the chance to voice themselves. Is there any way the mods could put a poll up in G&T to see what the masses think? I know that most people dont frequent the monkey den.

    Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2006
    because database stability is at a premium


    also, there is some sort of mantra to keep the forum as slim as possible by not creating more boards than what meet a reasonable demand

    Jasconius on
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2006
    Two things:

    I'm with Llama's position on this. I think at least a test run wouldn't be unreasonable.

    Also, this thread has been seriously derailed. :| Can we try and focus rather than take shots at eachother?

    Ein on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    Jasconius wrote:
    because database stability is at a premium


    also, there is some sort of mantra to keep the forum as slim as possible by not creating more boards than what meet a reasonable demand
    Is stability really seriously compromised by adding an additional forum?

    Salvation122 on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2006
    thats a question for alphamonkey but thats a few new rows in the table for the forum itself, the threads in the forum, the posts in the thread, ect


    I would think not, but I seem to remember hearing that cited as the reason.

    Jasconius on
  • Options
    ~Nephilim~~Nephilim~ Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    I don't see why COH/CoV would have a forum as well, I mean, why not make a big ass topic for it too in well, Games And Technology, which it is both.

    Most of the really devoted people who play CoH/CoV also post regularly in the Comic Forum, and many just post in the CoH forum exclusively.

    I think that a forum like this would be quite successful, we have Magic Tournaments in SE++ every so often but they're so hard to keep going because of everything else going on, a nice little forum to do this and other things would be stellar.

    ~Nephilim~ on
    pashazam.jpg
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2006
    Well, back when CoV came out there was a much higher demand, but the game is sinking.

    Also, I think they have their own external forum.

    Jasconius on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    "Writer's Block is more like Artist's Corner but less active, since those two are basically the same forum. And as said before, the same level of intellectual snobbery and fragile egos."

    Hey, shutup.

    Projeck on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2006
    Project37 wrote:
    "Writer's Block is more like Artist's Corner but less active, since those two are basically the same forum. And as said before, the same level of intellectual snobbery and fragile egos."

    Hey, shutup.

    What? I agree with that.

    Metalbourne on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2006
    Project37 wrote:
    "Writer's Block is more like Artist's Corner but less active, since those two are basically the same forum. And as said before, the same level of intellectual snobbery and fragile egos."

    Hey, shutup.

    What? I agree with that.
    Seriously. If you have a complaint more specific than 'snobbery and fragile egos' then PM it to me so I can fix it.

    Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    Jasconius wrote:
    thats a question for alphamonkey but thats a few new rows in the table for the forum itself, the threads in the forum, the posts in the thread, ect


    I would think not, but I seem to remember hearing that cited as the reason.
    Don't worry about technical things. The main thing is if Whippy wants to support this forum. I'm indifferent, not because I don't love you guys, but because I haven't been around as much and I trust whippy to make good descisions on things like this.

    Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    To answer those of you who question whether enough support exists for such a forum:

    I was in Ventrilo the other night with about seven other people. They spent about 45 minutes discussing one aspect of someone's PnP campaign, who was trying to tweak the rules of his particular reality just right.

    I know I spend a ridiculous amount of time learning everything I can about the rules of 3.5 edition D&D when I'm playing it, simply because whenever there's a rules question, everyone in my group turns and looks at me. I could talk about the nuances to the rules to just 3.5 edition D&D for at least fifty pages, and that's just me.

    And pheezer, just because you aren't interested in a subject enough to talk about it substantially doesn't mean that no one else is. Contrary to your belief, the universe does not revolve around you; your ego is just massive enough that it could.

    Thanatos on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2006
    i agree but thats only one threads worth of discussion at best


    also, don't underestimate pheezers gravitational pull


    I would like to have it just to see if we could really get some MTG and D&D campaigns going.

    I love MTG but only a couple of my R/L friends play it so I am limited on my competative options.

    Jasconius on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    Jasconius wrote:
    i agree but thats only one threads worth of discussion at best


    also, don't underestimate pheezers gravitational pull


    I would like to have it just to see if we could really get some MTG and D&D campaigns going.

    I love MTG but only a couple of my R/L friends play it so I am limited on my competative options.
    Yeah, but that's one person's worth of discussion, too. I'd definitely frequent threads about GURPS, AD&D 2.0, various White Wolf games, etc. Not to mention it would be a great place to get some games going.

    If nothing else, we could have a single, consolidated "game recruitment" thread, with some hard-working forumer (or one forumer and the mods of the forum) in charge of keeping the first post updated with which games are full, looking for people, and who's playing where.

    Thanatos on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    I think that a table top gaming thread would blow the writing thread out of the water in terms of support and posting.

    Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2006
    i think that isn't the point

    Jasconius on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    Okay, guys, outside of comparisons of what it's like with this discussion in G&T versus what it would be like outside of G&T, fuck the other subforums. They don't matter, we don't give a shit, stop bashing them, stop talking them up; either this idea stands on its own, or it doesn't. Bringing other subforums into it in the manner they have been isn't productive at all.

    Thanatos on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2006
    umm... we had the CYOA forum and people tried to run D&D stuff in them. It ended in tears.

    redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2006
    I think the most compelling argument for a Tabletop Gaming forum is that it has the potential to be incredibly interdisciplinary. A tabletop gaming could involve discussions of systems (G+T), critiques of new stories (WB), character art (AC), as well as a plethora of other discussions which may loosely fit in one of the other forums.

    So, I will admit that most things one could feasibly talk about tabletop gaming fit in one of the existing forums. However, I would argue that it presents a logistical nightmare which creates a significant obstacle to giving tabletop gaming the discussion it deserves.

    Imagine I'm talking about the new D&D 3.5 system in G+T, we all become good friends, decide to start a couple of D&D 3.5 games. Now, say I start a thread in G+T about some character art I'm working on. BZZZTTT. Gets moved to AC where no one gives a flying fuck. Say I start a thread about my character's backstory and ask for critiques. BZZZZTTTT. Gets moved to Writer's Block. The examples could go on and on.

    Few people on these forums frequent more than one forum and fewer still frequent more than two. If you want to talk about the many varied aspects of tabletop gaming, then you theoretically would have to visit three, four, maybe five forums. No one is going to do that.

    In addition, from my experience in D&D, I know that we every once in a while try to start up a TT game between the forumers. They inevitably die because it's hard to organise without a Game On thread, which we could only theoretically create in G+T, even if we have no interest in going to that forum.

    In conclusion, it would be superb if there was a central place where all the people interested in tabletop gaming could go to organise, discuss, and chat about these sorts of things, free from the logistical nightmare associated with visiting several different forums in order to cover all the aspects of the game.

    Premier kakos on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2006
    I think the most compelling argument for a Tabletop Gaming forum is that it has the potential to be incredibly interdisciplinary. A tabletop gaming could involve discussions of systems (G+T), critiques of new stories (WB), character art (AC), as well as a plethora of other discussions which may loosely fit in one of the other forums.

    So, I will admit that most things one could feasibly talk about tabletop gaming fit in one of the existing forums. However, I would argue that it presents a logistical nightmare which creates a significant obstacle to giving tabletop gaming the discussion it deserves.

    Imagine I'm talking about the new D&D 3.5 system in G+T, we all become good friends, decide to start a couple of D&D 3.5 games. Now, say I start a thread in G+T about some character art I'm working on. BZZZTTT. Gets moved to AC where no one gives a flying fuck. Say I start a thread about my character's backstory and ask for critiques. BZZZZTTTT. Gets moved to Writer's Block. The examples could go on and on.

    Few people on these forums frequent more than one forum and fewer still frequent more than two. If you want to talk about the many varied aspects of tabletop gaming, then you theoretically would have to visit three, four, maybe five forums. No one is going to do that.

    In addition, from my experience in D&D, I know that we every once in a while try to start up a TT game between the forumers. They inevitably die because it's hard to organise without a Game On thread, which we could only theoretically create in G+T, even if we have no interest in going to that forum.

    In conclusion, it would be superb if there was a central place where all the people interested in tabletop gaming could go to organise, discuss, and chat about these sorts of things, free from the logistical nightmare associated with visiting several different forums in order to cover all the aspects of the game.

    Okay, so this is a pretty great argument.

    But I still highly, highly doubt it'd actually work.

    Not that it's actually up to me.

    Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
This discussion has been closed.