As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New York City, 14th-18th

NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap.Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So I am going to the Big Apple for Spring break with my girlfriend. Her brother is NYPD and we are gonna be staying at his apartment while we are there. But I need to think of some fun and inexpensive things to do. I've never been to New York, so I'm not sure what there is to do.

Or rather, I feel kinda overwhelmed at all the possibilities and only have a few days. Right now I just know that I want to go to Times Square, Central park, China Town, and Little Italy. But exactly WHAT to do once we get to those places, I have no idea.

Anyone here been to New York that might know some good little gems in NYC?

rotate.jpg
PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
Nogs on

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So what do you want to do? Walking around any of those places could take days.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Malkor wrote: »

I know, that is the problem! I need to come up with some good specific things to do, but I'm just not sure what. We are college students, so we don't have much money, so no living the high life or anything like that. I think it would be cool to find some neat little hole-in-the-wall food places or whatever, that are actually really awesome, or staples of certain parts of NYC.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Nogs wrote: »
    Malkor wrote: »

I know, that is the problem! I need to come up with some good specific things to do, but I'm just not sure what. We are college students, so we don't have much money, so no living the high life or anything like that. I think it would be cool to find some neat little hole-in-the-wall food places or whatever, that are actually really awesome, or staples of certain parts of NYC.

Don't be afraid of food carts, especially the ones that serve exotic food.

I used to know some cool bars that weren't trendy and more importantly inexpensive. I think they're all gone now :(

I think the best thing you can do is just walk around and go into places that look interesting. Ask people walking in the street and pick up flyers and such to see what's up. Ask her brother which places are the rowdiest or safest, I'm sure he knows some good spots.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm shocked that there have been so few responses to this, as NYC is a poor college student's playground. Just some quick ones off the top of my head:

Museums. The Met, the American Museum of Natural History, and The Cloisters (the last being my personal favorite) all have intimidating admission prices, but all are "Recommended Donation’s. You can pay a buck, or a nickel, and they have to let you in. You might get glared at, but if you can live with that some of the best and most varied art, culture, and knowledge are yours for the admiring. The Met and Natural History are also in or near Central Park, so you could split time there, but really you could spend days in either. The Cloisters is a bit further out (the northern tip of Manhattan), but I've always felt it was worth the trip. It's rebuilt from assorted monastery gardens and chapels, and has the best medieval art collection in the city, including the Unicorn Tapestries. It's actually an extension of The Met, so it's one glare to get both of them in one day. The Metropolitan Museum of Modern Art, MoMA, hosts another impressive collection, however they DO make you pay, and quite a hefty tariff as well - $20 a head since the recent renovation was completed. But if you're willing to hit it up on the day you get into town, it's free after 4pm on Fridays. I'm sure there is a student discount as well, but I've no clue what it is.

Shows. If you're willing to let your evening entertainment up to chance, risk a few hours in Times Square and try to get rush tickets. A tradition started by Rent (which is sadly closing in a few months), rush tickets are "obstructed view" seats that are sold on the cheap an hour or so before the show. Some have a lottery, some are first come first served, so check out ahead of time if they're available for the show you're interested in and what the rules are. I've seen Rent, Avenue Q, and The Wedding Singer (on it's closing night!) for about $20 a seat. Mind you, in most cases, "Obstructed View" in this case means "Front Row" - seriously - so the people one or two rows behind you are paying $150 or more in some cases and all it means is you might be seeing the back of someone's head if they're far stage right. If you want a bit more stability in your evenings, check out the TKTS booth - that's pronounced as the letters, not "tickets" - can get you seats to most of the longer running shows for up to 50% off - depending on the show and selection of seats they have, this could be around $20 as well, but in this case you'd be looking at balcony or back orchestra.

Music. Get a copy of the Village Voice - it's free, and a good read - and flip to the middle or so - ignore the call girl ads in the back. There are pages of venues with concerts listed, often in the $10 - $20 range. As the choices here obviously change week to week I can't give any specific selections, but I'd look at the Knitting Factory, I've been to a few good shows there.

Pizza. My favorite in Manhattan is in a place on 8th street just west of Broadway, right next to the Games Workshop store, and as such frequented by geeks. It's out of the way unless you want to just wander the Village, which used to be a favorite hobby of mine. Pretty much any place you find will have the best pizza you've ever had, if you're a non New Yorker, and feed you and girlfriend both for 6 bucks or so.

Hope this helps, and no matter what you do, enjoy the city.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    reddogreddog The Mountain Brooklyn, NYRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Definitely agree with the above thread (and that pizza place next to the GameWorkshop is good but the one on the corner of 8th and Bway is pretty good too).

Here's my 2 cents from an older NYC thread with regards to food and such:

-Pizza: Lombardi's and Grimaldi's are good but in my opinion they are gourmet pizza from restaurants. Growing up in Brooklyn, NYC pizza is from a pizzeria that you can just order a slice and eat it while watching the Yankee game. If you see any small divey pizzeria places, go in, get a slice, put some garlic and red pepper flakes and your golden. My personal favs are J&V Pizza in Brooklyn on 18th avenue and 64th street. Take the N to Brooklyn, get off at 18th avenue...its right there.

-General Italian food: I'm not big on Italian food but i've never gone wrong by going to Little Italy and just picking a spot.

-Bagels/Pastrys: Go to Ess-a-Bagels on 51st and 3rd.

-Coffee: Best coffee is from the venders on the street in the morning rush. $1.35 you get a large coffee and a donut.

-Japanese: I really love Jeollado on 4th street between 1st and 2nd avenue. Cheap, fresh, nice atmosphere.

-Greek: Only place I know of is in Brooklyn on 4th avenue & 86th. Great small greek place...best gyros.

-Chinese: Ruby Foo's in Times Square isn't bad but insanely touristy. Tao is, in my opinion, overrated and overpriced...you're paying for the atmosphere rather than the food. Just go to Chinatown and go to a place with a duck in the window. You'll be happy.

-Street vendors: There are hot dog carts which are good but they can charge you whatever they want. Plus there's a reason why they're called dirty water dogs ;). If you want hot dogs, head to either Nathans in Coney Island or Grey's Papaya on W8th. Definitely, definitely do the halal chicken & rice carts. $4 will get you salad, rice, and chicken with veggies...put some of the yogurt sauce and some hot sauce you're golden.

All in all for things to do...grab your coat and go walking around. I live here and I still find new things about this city I never knew before. Upper West Side is fun to walk around and check out the stores. Definitely pick up the Village Voice and see what's going on in the city for that week. You can't go wrong.

reddog on
    reddog.png
  • Options
    TheungryTheungry Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Best resource for finding food and activities I have ever found in New York: http://notfortourists.com/newyork.aspx

Theungry on
    Unfortunately, western cultures frown upon arranged marriages, so the vast majority of people have to take risks in order to get into relationships.
  • Options
    locomotivemanlocomotiveman Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You will be in New York City for St. Patrick's day. I seem to recall reading somewhere they have a small intimate parade, 100k people like that.

locomotiveman on
    aquabat wrote:
    I actually worked at work on Saturday. Also I went out on a date with a real life girl.

Can you like, permanently break the forums?
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    You will be in New York City for St. Patrick's day. I seem to recall reading somewhere they have a small intimate parade, 100k people like that.

I somehow forgot about the most important day of the year. Yes. By all means, Parade it up. Unless you hate pipes and drums, in which case lock your self in a room and don't come out. It's hard NOT to celebrate St Paddy's day in New York. He's the patron saint of the city, you know. See, for reference, the eponymous cathedral.

One of the things I miss the most about living in NYC is people painting shamrocks on the road in intersections. They'd be there for weeks, too.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    Wyvern998Wyvern998 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Best coffee: Cafe Reggio in Greenwich Village. Seriously, go here.

Best Traditional Pizza: Someone else probably got this

Best Nontraditional Pizza: Pie By the Pound. Don't let the awful interior/gimmick fool you, this place has, hands down, some of the best pizza I've ever had. Everything is ultra-fresh; you can taste the cilantro, goddammit.

Fish & Chips: Definitely not a New York staple, however, Assault & Battery in Greenwich Village is absolutely spectacular, if not a bit expensive.

Beer: Brooklyn Brewery in Williamsburg. Don't ask, just go.

I live in Brooklyn, but my favorite hangout spots are Union Square and Washington Square Park. Times Square gets really abrasive after a while, as does Broadway. As Slick said, pick up the Voice or The Onion (for AV Club) to find out what shows are playing where.

If you're into that whole hipster schtick, Williamsburg is where you want to be. You're sure to find something of interest just strolling along Bedford Ave.

Wyvern998 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Wyvern998 wrote: »
    you can taste the cilantro

Non traditional, indeed. Cilantro? I expect that out here on the west coast, but I wouldn't stand for it back home.
    Wyvern998 wrote: »
    Beer: Brooklyn Brewery in Williamsburg.

Word. They're well known all over New York state at the very least. I've never been to the brewery though, I'll check it out when I visit home this summer.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    Wyvern998Wyvern998 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It's late, I may or may not be thinking of another herb. It's green though!

Wyvern998 on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    oh hell yes, i thought this thread was doomed. thanks for the ideas guys! I leave on Friday! so excited

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg