As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Installing old XP on new laptop

chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Due to various annoyances (mostly older games not working) I am wanting to get rid of Vista and put XP on my (Toshiba Satellite) laptob. I have a few worries though.

First of all, will XP know it's on a laptop and have all of the power management and wireless network stuff that is in my system tray? Or is there free software I can download that will take care of this stuff? Will the lack of any of the built in Toshiba software mess anything up?

Second of all, I have XP installed on my old computer at the moment. If I format that computer I am legally able to install on another computer right? Or will I run into any problems on this front?

chuck steak on

• Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    As long as you format the old computer you're fine as far as the legalities go. When you set up windows xp it will ask you what kind of network you're on, as well as picking up what kind of network adapter you have. As long as you install the drivers for it (which it might do automatically) you'll be fine. And no, feel free to whack all that built in toshiba stuff. Unless it's super special software for a specific task and you use it frequently, you don't need it.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    One problem you may run into, is that your Toshiba laptop may have parts that are not supported under XP. The reason is, if it was built in the interim time when manufacturers were ONLY shipping Vista systems, you can end up with parts that have no XP drivers. Just something to be aware of. Other than that, it's fairly simple. If you do run into that, try the Toshiba site for new drivers. Usually, XP doesn't natively support all the soundcards, videocards etc that are on a laptop, so you need to get them separately from the mfgr.

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Mmm, good point about the vista only stuff. I would imagine that by now the manufacturers would have xp drivers out for that stuff since vista hasn't exactly taken off like they wanted or thought it would.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hmm. Maybe I should try a duel boot and if I get XP working well enough then nuke the Vista Partition.

What about the power management stuff though? Does xp have that or is there software that will take care of that?

chuck steak on
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    XP has all that. If not, your mfg should have drivers.

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The only thing you might need from your current install that might not work on Vista is the (if this model has them) touchpad-mouse quicklaunch buttons. Everything else will be fine, including the webcam (again, if this model has it).

If you don't need the quicklaunch buttons (and again, I don't know if they for sure won't work, I imagine they will because they were on Toshiba Satellites before Vista came out) then go nuts.

Topia on