As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sony: Microsoft in talks for a 360 Blu-ray drive

cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Games and Technology
And so it begins. From Engadget:
About 48 milliseconds after the format war was officially over, rumors started running rampant (again) about Blu-ray making its way over to Microsoft's latest console. Now, however, those rumors actually have some legs -- well, at least a leg. According to Stan Glasgow, Sony Electronics US president, "Sony is in talks with console rival Microsoft about offering a Blu-ray drive for the Xbox 360." For whatever it's worth, the exec also noted that it was having similar discussions with Apple, which has yet to even offer a Blu-ray option on any of its machines. Unfortunately, not a peep was uttered about potential launch dates and the like, but you can rest assured that we'll be keeping an ear dangerously close to the ground.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/06/sony-in-talks-with-microsoft-about-a-xbox-360-blu-ray-d/

Nothing's official, but yeah, discussions have begun. One of HD-DVD's biggest boosters tucking its tail between its legs and going to Sony... wow.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
cloudeagle on

• DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    I don;t see why they'd give them one. I guess on one hand you have the glory of your rival having to cave and use your technology but on the other you can cripple them as a HD format player.

DarkWarrior on
  • SakeidoSakeido Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I don't think Microsoft ever seriously cared about HD-DVD aside from using it to compete with the PS3 on a feature basis, while still being able to offer the console for less money. They had deep enough pockets to buy as many studios as they wanted and bringing them into the HD-DVD camp, but elected not to. Now that opposing BluRay has failed, they lose absolutely nothing by going over to BluRay themselves so they can continue to oppose the PS3 on a features basis, while still keeping their cost down by not making it a part of the console.

Sakeido on
    edited March 2008
    I don;t see why they'd give them one. I guess on one hand you have the glory of your rival having to cave and use your technology but on the other you can cripple them as a HD format player.

It's not Sony's call to make.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc_Association

Sakeido on
  • MegaManMegaMan The Blue Shooty Guy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I don't see how MS is "tucking tail" when they've said all along that they're not committing fully to a format and might do Blu-ray in the future if it won the format war.

MegaMan on
    "Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This is terrible! If a Blu-Ray add-on comes to the 360, then I'll lose any bargaining power I'll have with my wife to pick up a PS3 in a few years under the guise of "This is the cheapest way we can do the high-defs, honey, and I'll just buy a few games while I'm at it."

Don't fuck this up for me, Microsoft!

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Why cripple them? Sony makes money from every BR player and disc out there. It would be, essentially, Microsoft giving Sony a gentle but effective tug job.

Torso Boy on
    edited March 2008
    Sakeido wrote: »
    I don't think Microsoft ever seriously cared about HD-DVD aside from using it to compete with the PS3 on a feature basis, while still being able to offer the console for less money. They had deep enough pockets to buy as many studios as they wanted and bringing them into the HD-DVD camp, but elected not to. Now that opposing BluRay has failed, they lose absolutely nothing by going over to BluRay themselves so they can continue to oppose the PS3 on a features basis, while still keeping their cost down by not making it a part of the console.

I'd imagine most people who were going to buy a HDDVD addon did and now will feel burned at having done so and would be unlikely to purchase a blu-ray add-on. So MS does lose potentially.
    Torso Boy wrote: »
    Why cripple them? Sony makes money from every BR player and disc out there. It would be, essentially, Microsoft giving Sony a gentle but effective tug job.

Yeah but it basically leaves only Sony as the company with a console capable of playing Hi-Definition movies at all. Means if someone wants a games system and a hi-def player, they only have one place to go.

DarkWarrior on
    edited March 2008

I'd imagine most people who were going to buy a HDDVD addon did and now will feel burned at having done so and would be unlikely to purchase a blu-ray add-on. So MS does lose potentially.
    Torso Boy wrote: »

Yeah but it basically leaves only Sony as the company with a console capable of playing Hi-Definition movies at all. Means if someone wants a games system and a hi-def player, they only have one place to go.

I bought the HD-DVD add on and would be really happy if they came out with a Blu Ray add on as well. I would buy both so then I can get all the HD-DVDs cheap on clearance, and then watch them, and then still grab new Blu Ray movies as well. The Lord of the Rings HD version apparently isn't that far off, especially now that the format war is settled. There is much speculation it will be out for this Christmas season - which makes sense, because it is one of those "killer" productions that could move hardware by the truckload.
    And as I said before, Sony doesn't get to make that call. They would probably receive pressure from everyone - everyone wants adoption numbers to go up and more people to buy Blu Ray movies so they can move more dedicated players (as people are sold on the technology) and movies. If even 5% of the 360's install base buys the Blu Ray add-on, that is another significant boost to the format.

Sakeido on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

MS is probably going to buy their way into the BRD association the same way they did for the DVD group.

Daedalus on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008

This is probably the one time that sony will push its say in that consortium. Being a game system and an inexpensive blu-ray player is part of what is driving the ps3.

Viscountalpha on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Because Sony's Blu-Ray division most likely has "Sony's" final say over this, rather than Sony's console division. This sort of thing isn't unheard of... You can buy Microsoft Word for the mac, after all.

Undead Scottsman on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'd buy a blu ray add on as long as it stacked neatly ontop of my HD DVD add on.
    Otherwise I'd rather buy a PS3...or so that will be my excuse. >.>

Accualt on
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The PS3 is a *really good* BluRay player, though, because its incorporated into the system. Knowing there's a hard drive in there really boosts the ease of installing firmware upgrades that specifically address BD movies.

Heck, look for reviews of the PS3 upscaling DVDs -- they all claim it *really sucks*. But they're all from early 2007, shortly after the system was released and generally available. In November they released a firmware upgrade that addresses DVD upscaling and suddenly it's one of the best upscalers on the market.

They've also increased the number of audio codecs that the PS3 can decode and stream, and it has HDMI out of the box. AND it doesn't require an extra peripheral for it. Those are all factors that would still make a PS3 the "better blu-ray player" than an add-on for the 360.

But that's beside the point, because the *most important thing* is that they're just starting to talk about it now. That means that if they were to license the format, draft specs for an external blu-ray drive, manufacture some test drives and bugfix, then mass produce them and market it, it's still at *least* a year away, probably more.

And then it'd have to be sold at a price that people would actually buy them, instead of stand-alone blu-ray players. If it's over $100 and isn't out until 2009, that's not going to woo many people.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I'm sure they can have a multi-million dollar influence on the decision.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    I'd buy a blu ray add on as long as it stacked neatly ontop of my HD DVD add on.
    Otherwise I'd rather buy a PS3...or so that will be my excuse. >.>

I'm still waiting for a proper excuse for the ps3.

*edit*

because I want one now.

Viscountalpha on
    edited March 2008
    Well, Eggy, the idea isn't to compete with the PS3 or other Blu-Ray players directly, it's to go to people who already have 360's and give them the choice between shelling 400 or more for a player, or buying a 100+ dollar addon for an existing device that does the same thing.

Undead Scottsman on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    But if Sony were to lock Microsoft out of the format for whatever reason, why would the company be in direct talks with Microsoft, and talk about it publicly? Why wouldn't they just tell them to fuck off?

It's likely Sony sees this as a source of additional revenue.

cloudeagle on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This seems like a great way for Microsoft to not let the HD format war screw it's customers by making them pay for non essential hardware regardless of whether they want to support an HD video format or not, but still giving them the option of doing so should they so wish.

LewieP on
    edited March 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    This seems like a great way for Microsoft to not let the HD format war screw it's customers by making them pay for non essential hardware regardless of whether they want to support an HD video format or not, but still giving them the option of doing so should they so wish.

That's exactly it. A lot of people fault the 360 for not including the HD player built in, but now, what would have happened if a HD-DVD player was built in? Consumers didn't settle the format war - studios did - and even though HD and Blu Ray players and movies sold relatively evenly, HD got the axe because the movie studios went to whoever paid them the most.
    Leaving the option of buying a HD player up to the customer was the best way to alleviate the uncertainty involved in a format war. As well, since the solution is not built in, they left themselves the flexibility to change their mind whenever they wanted - and I think you would be hard pressed to say that was not a good idea.

Sakeido on
  • El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Even though I bought the HD-DVD player for my 360, I will probably buy the Blu-ray addon if available. Why would I pay hundreds for a stand-alone player when I can get an add-on for cheaper, that also integrates into my home network via the 360 and Home Media Center?

El Guaco on
  • ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    A blu-ray drive for the 360 will do a great job in driving home the value of the PS3.

$399 buys you a PS3, with free Blu-ray, Wifi and Online Play.

$300 buys you a 360. Want the above? Fork out another $350 - just for the first year.

Apples to apples comparisons are going to hurt if it happens.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
    edited March 2008
    LewieP wrote: »

That's exactly it. A lot of people fault the 360 for not including the HD player built in, but now, what would have happened if a HD-DVD player was built in? Consumers didn't settle the format war - studios did - and even though HD and Blu Ray players and movies sold relatively evenly, HD got the axe because the movie studios went to whoever paid them the most.
    Leaving the option of buying a HD player up to the customer was the best way to alleviate the uncertainty involved in a format war. As well, since the solution is not built in, they left themselves the flexibility to change their mind whenever they wanted - and I think you would be hard pressed to say that was not a good idea.

They didn't put a HDDVD in there because they wanted to beat the competition to market and putting one in at the time mwould have resulted in them not only raising the costs A LOT but also having a lot of busted HDDVD drives in the first batch of dud systems. It would've taken a huuuuuuuuuge financial cut out of them. SO they decided to beat the competition to product first instead.

EDIT: Obviously the cost of losing the drives wasn't something MS would have taken into consideration.

DarkWarrior on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I was hoping you would turn up to provide a rational counter argument Threepio.
    Threepio wrote: »
    A blu-ray drive for the 360 will do a great job in driving home the value of the PS3.

$300 buys you a 360. Want the above? Fork out another $350 - just for the first year.

This is probably true for a certain number of people, possibly even the majority of people on these boards, but I think entry price, and then games library is way more important to the majority of consumers than the features you have mentioned. Certainly for me (My consoles are next to my router, I don't really like online play on consoles, and I don't want a blu-ray player) and I honestly don't think that the 360 missing those features is harming it.

That's all from a business standpoint anyway, I think the 360 is more successful than the PS3 partly because it doesn't charge for want are non-essential features.

Although it is obviously entirely subjective which is a better buy, from a feature standpoint, for any given individual.

LewieP on
    edited March 2008
    EggyToast wrote: »
    The PS3 is a *really good* BluRay player, though, because its incorporated into the system. Knowing there's a hard drive in there really boosts the ease of installing firmware upgrades that specifically address BD movies.

Heck, look for reviews of the PS3 upscaling DVDs -- they all claim it *really sucks*. But they're all from early 2007, shortly after the system was released and generally available. In November they released a firmware upgrade that addresses DVD upscaling and suddenly it's one of the best upscalers on the market.

They've also increased the number of audio codecs that the PS3 can decode and stream, and it has HDMI out of the box. AND it doesn't require an extra peripheral for it. Those are all factors that would still make a PS3 the "better blu-ray player" than an add-on for the 360.

But that's beside the point, because the *most important thing* is that they're just starting to talk about it now. That means that if they were to license the format, draft specs for an external blu-ray drive, manufacture some test drives and bugfix, then mass produce them and market it, it's still at *least* a year away, probably more.

And then it'd have to be sold at a price that people would actually buy them, instead of stand-alone blu-ray players. If it's over $100 and isn't out until 2009, that's not going to woo many people.

The drives already exist. Its basicaly just a computer disc drive - and those certainly do exist - that has been repackaged to "belong" with the Xbox 360. Roll out time on something like this could probably be incredibly quick. All those selling points the PS3 has are things the 360 can do as well.. it is not like Sony is the only company adding functionality to their console through software updates. Also, 360s have been coming with HDMI output for quite some time now, and anyway, there is a neglible difference in image & sound quality between component&optical vs. HDMI

Sakeido on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Free Blu-ray? I think we can all agree that if the PS3 didn't use a Blu-ray drive, the console would be cheaper (perhaps considerably). I don't really think you can call it "free."

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • MegaManMegaMan The Blue Shooty Guy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I'm pretty sure MS won't do it if the economics don't work out for the consumer somehow. I could actually see them packing it in with the console in a package that matches the price of the PS3.

MegaMan on
    "Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
    - Albert Einstein
    edited March 2008

Let's address some of these points here

Free Blu Ray? Hardly. The console costs $100 more.

Wifi - worthless. Wireless just does not do well for gaming or streaming lots of data (for instance, streaming a movie off your PC - something I am not even sure the PS3 can do). If you want a decent wireless connection, you need wireless N, and then in the case of both the PS3 and 360 you will need a new router, adding cost.

Online play - Xbox Live works out to about $6 a month and more people play it, period.

Sakeido on
    edited March 2008

Wifi - worthless. Wireless just does not do well for gaming or streaming lots of data (for instance, streaming a movie off your PC - something I am not even sure the PS3 can do). If you want a decent wireless connection, you need wireless N, and then in the case of both the PS3 and 360 you will need a new router, adding cost.

Online play - Xbox Live works out to about $6 a month and more people play it, period.

Basic, free router that came with internet service + PS3 = very adequate streaming thankyou. Also = excellent quality online play with no drops. Something I couldn't get with a wired 360 connection and a months free Gold service.

DarkWarrior on
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well, Eggy, the idea isn't to compete with the PS3 or other Blu-Ray players directly, it's to go to people who already have 360's and give them the choice between shelling 400 or more for a player, or buying a 100+ dollar addon for an existing device that does the same thing.

Those are today's prices, though. If the low-end PS3 drops to $300 and the (currently fictitious) Xbox Blu-ray drive costs $150, that's a harder pill to swallow -- considering that you'd also have to have the HDMI breakout for the 360.

It will probably be picked up by some 360 owners, but it's really a race at this point -- people who are seriously interested are going to pick up the first thing that looks like a good value. If that's a $150 stand-alone BD player, or a set of "must have" games on the PS3, the market for an external drive is seriously diminished. If the prices for a BD player are still $300+, then it has a chance.
    Threepio wrote:

I've generally not cared much about the current gen of consoles, mostly because it's still pretty new, but I bought a PS3 because it had blu-ray, wifi, standard USB ports, built in HDMI, a hard drive... Essentially, you can buy the thing for $400 and be done with it -- no need to pick up additional accessories or parts in order to use it as a media-hub in the living room. I openly admit that I bought it for movies instead of games, but I did buy it and I have bought 1 game so far (and also flOw) and will likely snag more in the near future. But it was really nice that I can just plug in any ol' USB keyboard and it works, any ol' Bluetooth headset and, well, most any bluetooth thing is happy to work with the PS3.

I was honestly pretty surprised when I started to look into it a month ago. I figured "bah, PS3 is shit, no games, just a blu-ray player slapped in." I figured everything would be proprietary. I took a more serious look and discovered they used standard ports for basically everything.

The PS3 may not have a lot of games, but the hardware seems very solid. And Sony's been supporting it with regular firmware upgrades that add features for free. It kind of blindsided me -- it wasn't what I expected from Sony.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So this thread is already regurgitating ye olde "Oh yeah? Well, the real price goes up when you're to buy online and Blu-ray and three prostitutes and a backhoe and a diamond-crusted controller!" chestnut?

Let's just say that people want different things out of consoles and just leave it at that.

cloudeagle on
  • devolvedevolve Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    What's funny is that people are forgetting that microsoft is already winning the HD format war:

It's called xbox live marketplace.

Blu-ray 'winning' was a skunk prize; in the end it's going to lose. And sony's focus on a physical format was a stale move.

I'm of the opinion that the only reason MS even supported HD-DVD was simply use it to stall sales and acceptance of blu-ray until the point where digital downloads started becoming the norm. And they're doing a pretty damn good job of it. Xbox live marketplace had more HD movies from all of the studios long before blu-ray was considered a 'winner', and if I remember the amount of movies downloaded from the marketplace was something staggering.

And if netflix does in fact integrate into xbox live (which appears to be the case when an ms rep says "stay tuned"), you're going to watch digital download acceptance go through the roof.

devolve on
    detriot.png
    edited March 2008

Basic, free router that came with internet service + PS3 = very adequate streaming thankyou. Also = excellent quality online play with no drops. Something I couldn't get with a wired 360 connection and a months free Gold service.

I'm just going to go ahead and call bullshit on that. Wired connection > wireless, always WITHOUT exception.

Sakeido on
    edited March 2008

How could not get that with a wired 360 connection? Do you mean if you turned your router off?

devolve on
    detriot.png
    edited March 2008
    devolve wrote: »

How could not get that with a wired 360 connection? Do you mean if you turned your router off?

No, I mean the service from Xbox Live was shit and kept dropping.

And yes, the net was working.

It was nothing to do with the type of connection and everything to do with the quality of service. I'm simply stating on top that PS3 wireless is fucking amazing and I've never had any issues with it, EVER. Though if I did, I could quite easily take out the ethernet cable and hook it up that way instead.

DarkWarrior on
  • Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Let's remember that, in this theoretical matchup, we're talking about a 360 with no hard drive and wired controllers. Apples to apples it ain't.

I hate the phrase "with free Blu-Ray." The games are printed on BRD, whose storage capacity is one of the main draws of the PS3. It's not like it's thrown in, it's what the console was built around- and yeah, you're paying for it when you buy the system. It was a gamble Sony made that turned out in their favour after many doubts; a gamble MS chose not to make at all.

Torso Boy on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Oh man, I wish I hadn't bought a PS3 for blu-ray now. God knows it hasn't done anything else for me. Except warhawk, which was really fun for the week before Halo 3 came out.

rts on
    edited March 2008

It was nothing to do with the type of connection and everything to do with the quality of service. I'm simply stating on top that PS3 wireless is fucking amazing and I've never had any issues with it, EVER. Though if I did, I could quite easily take out the ethernet cable and hook it up that way instead.

Kinda missed the plane swooshing over your head didn't you?

devolve on
    detriot.png
  • fearsomepiratefearsomepirate I ate a pickle once. Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    What's funny is that people are forgetting that microsoft is already winning the HD format war:

It's called xbox live marketplace.

Yearly DVD player sales are in the tens of millions in the United States alone. Americans bought almost three times as many DVD players in one year as Xbox 360 has sold worldwide since launch. Your gamer goggles have caused you to think that the Xbox 360 is far, far more significant to the average American consumer than it is. For Live Marketplace to matter more than physical media, MS has a lot of catching up to do.

fearsomepirate on
    Nobody makes me bleed my own blood...nobody.
    PSN ID: fearsomepirate
    edited March 2008

Kinda missed the plane swooshing over your head didn't you?

I like planes. Swoosh.

DarkWarrior on
    edited March 2008
    EggyToast wrote: »

Those are today's prices, though. If the low-end PS3 drops to $300 and the (currently fictitious) Xbox Blu-ray drive costs $150, that's a harder pill to swallow -- considering that you'd also have to have the HDMI breakout for the 360.

True, but at this point were just making up numbers.. We'd have to see actual figures before we can say whether or not the idea is viable.

Undead Scottsman on
This discussion has been closed.