As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wires and the taming of them.

noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So this weekend I'm going to rearrange my room to try to give me more space. The main reason I been avoiding doing this is because I have a variety of wires. What do you guys find is the easiest way to get them in some order? Just some twisty ties?

Also, Right now my television is on the corner because that's where the cable outlet is. I'm wanting to move the television to the opposite corner, but I think I need some sort of extender for the cable..umm cable. And I need to figure a way so that I don't trip over the cable.

noir_blood on

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    noir_blood wrote: »
    So this weekend I'm going to rearrange my room to try to give me more space. The main reason I been avoiding doing this is because I have a variety of wires. What do you guys find is the easiest way to get them in some order? Just some twisty ties?

Pretty much.
    Also, Right now my television is on the corner because that's where the cable outlet is. I'm wanting to move the television to the opposite corner, but I think I need some sort of extender for the cable..umm cable. And I need to figure a way so that I don't trip over the cable.

Run it along the baseboard. They make little sticky clips you can get to hold it there, if you can't actually just push it under the baseboard to accomplish this. As for the extender, you can just go to Wal-Mart or wherever and get a double-male (or is it double-female...not sure which is called which on those) little adapter then buy a cable of the desired length.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You need a longer coax cable.

For management, an easy solution is flexible conduit.
    1721-12.jpg

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    mcdermott wrote: »

Run it along the baseboard. They make little sticky clips you can get to hold it there, if you can't actually just push it under the baseboard to accomplish this. As for the extender, you can just go to Wal-Mart or wherever and get a double-male (or is it double-female...not sure which is called which on those) little adapter then buy a cable of the desired length.

I have wood floors, so that's not an option.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yes it is.
    Get a white coax cable and run it along the outside, it will blend in fairly well.
    Serisouly, it's that or run it in the wall which is much more work.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yes it is.
    Get a white coax cable and run it along the outside, it will blend in fairly well.
    Serisouly, it's that or run it in the wall which is much more work.

I think he just meant the "tuck under" tactic won't work. But yes, at that point clips on the wall to hold it or running it inside the wall are your two primary options.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Well then he can rip the floorboards off and take a router to them to make a channel to lay the wire in, or replace the floorboards with some nifty hollow ones meant for running wire.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Never, ever use zip ties. As soon as you do, you'll need to get at the bundles, and have to cut the ties. Get velcro ties, they rule.

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • Options
    ZonkytonkmanZonkytonkman Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    there's frequently space between the floor and the gyproc. That's what floor boards are meant to cover. You can usually get a few cables in that space if you remove the floor boards, then replace them.

Zonkytonkman on
  • Options
    ZonkytonkmanZonkytonkman Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    embrik wrote: »
    Never, ever use zip ties. As soon as you do, you'll need to get at the bundles, and have to cut the ties. Get velcro ties, they rule.

twist ties are just a usefull and also much cheaper. Not as pretty though

Zonkytonkman on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited March 2008
    Velcro is great and easily reusable. Much nicer than twist ties. I just stick pieces back on the roll when I'm done.

They pick up cat hair like crazy though.

bombardier on