As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Guitar Hero DS

LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Games and Technology
So, Guitar Hero DS is probably coming out at some point soon.

Evidence -
GUITAR HERO ON TOUR Game (Nintendo DS)

Also, either Simon Byron or Ste Curran (I can't remember which) mentioned having played 'Guitar Hero DS' in the live stream section of the 'One Life Left' podcast (that is not on the downloadable recording)

It, apparently uses a guitar peripheral like the console version, so I guess it's using the DS's wireless.

...and discuss

LewieP on

• DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm now imagining a full-sized guitar peripheral plugging into Slot-2.

That would be the most ridiculous thing ever.

edit: I don't think the DS can easily use wireless peripherals. The wireless chip inside it only does Wi-Fi, not Bluetooth or WUSB like the Wii or 360, respectively.

Daedalus on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    That.... what?

A guitar peripheral for the DS?

So you're strumming the full-sized thing while bending down awkwardly and squinting at a DS?

I wouldn't be shocked at a Guitar Hero DS, but one using a guitar peripheral just sounds unwieldy.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • RuinsRuins Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Why the hell would you want to carry around a DS AND a Guitar peripheral? I think Activision and Red Octane are missing the point of handhelds.

Ruins on
    ach.png
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    How are you supposed to rock out while peering at a teeny DS screen? Unless the DS is incorporated into the guitar itself, which would be insanely tricky from a logistical standpoint.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    I'm now imagining a full-sized guitar peripheral plugging into Slot-2.

That would be the most ridiculous thing ever.

Yeah, attached to the body, and then you'd half close it so you could see the notes. This would be amazing!

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    For sound you could always hook it up to a stereo.

LewieP on
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    They should pass on the guitar controller, display strings on the touch screen, pack it with a custom stylus and call it:

Guitar Pick Hero
    and then make it star Tenacious D.

chamberlain on
    edited March 2008
    LewieP wrote: »

And for a non-squinty picture, you could always hook it up to a TV.

And for a more detailed background scene, you could always hook it up to an Xbox 360.

No, I don't think this is going to have a peripheral. It'll probably be like that Guitar Hero cellphone game.

Daedalus on
  • emericanaemericana Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think that the concept of portable gaming is lost on this thread.

emericana on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

And for a more detailed background scene, you could always hook it up to an Xbox 360.

And for custom songs you could hook it up to a real guitar.

LewieP on
    edited March 2008

Oh, man, now I want to use some kind of adapter to hook an electric guitar up to the DS's microphone jack.

Daedalus on
    edited March 2008
    They should pass on the guitar controller, display strings on the touch screen, pack it with a custom stylus and call it:

Guitar Pick Hero

51ClpNQ-hRL._AA280_.jpg

What you described, except with less Jack Black.

Daedalus on
  • Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Guitar Pick Hero

51ClpNQ-hRL._AA280_.jpg

What you described, except with EPIC FAIL.

I want a Tenacious D game :(

Mace1370 on
  • My Name Is LukeMy Name Is Luke Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Guitar Pick Hero

51ClpNQ-hRL._AA280_.jpg

What you described, except with less Jack Black.

That's how I would imagine it, I don't think they would make a guitar just for the DS. It ruins the portability and would be a pain to look at.

My Name Is Luke on
  • MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008

And to learn to play real guitar you could jack it into a sweaty old roadie.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • ZyidZyid Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    What the heck? Wouldn't that defeat the entire purpose of a portable???

Zyid on
  • KrentzKrentz Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    What about a small, hand-sized piece of a guitar neck with the 5 note buttons that you hold with your left hand? It would be small enough to fit in one hand and hold wherever you want, and then strum the strings with the stylus.

Sliding between notes would be a pain though.

Krentz on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So...you'd basically HAVE to have a table in front of you to play the thing, otherwise how else would you hold the guitar with both hands and still see the screen...

Seems really odd. A touch screen version - while less true to the console versions - would make more sense in terms of playability and just being much less awkward.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Krentz wrote: »
    What about a small, hand-sized piece of a guitar neck with the 5 note buttons that you hold with your left hand? It would be small enough to fit in one hand and hold wherever you want, and then strum the strings with the stylus.

Sliding between notes would be a pain though.

Or they could just make it 4 buttons. Sure it wouldn't be the "full 5 button GH experience," but they've already cut down the Mobile gh game to 3 note charts rather than 5.

A hand held 'neck portion' that could easily fit in your pocket, for one single hand use, with 4 buttons is completely feasible, inexpensive, and portable.

slash000 on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Who cares if it makes sense, we are talking about Activision and Neversoft. They'll make money off of this whether it uses a giant guitar peripheral or just digital strumming.

So is this the 3rd GH game coming out this year? We've got Aerosmith, Van Halen, and this now, with GH4 expected as well.

Clint Eastwood on
  • AlpineAlpine Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Still has more potential than the other licenced crap Activision is putting out. Air Guitar Hero? With 30 second clips of songs attached to a shitty belt buckle? Harmonix4lyfe

Alpine on
    edited March 2008
    Cloudman wrote: »
    Who cares if it makes sense, we are talking about Activision and Neversoft. They'll make money off of this whether it uses a giant guitar peripheral or just digital strumming.

So is this the 3rd GH game coming out this year? We've got Aerosmith, Van Halen, and this now, with GH4 expected as well.

Wait, what? A Van Halen version? Has this been confirmed? Last I heard the next one-artist GH would be a U2 disk.

cloudeagle on
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Infinite Free Money for Activision Hero

forty on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Wait, what? A Van Halen version? Has this been confirmed? Last I heard the next one-artist GH would be a U2 disk.
    I was under the impression that some Activision whackoff executive accidentally namedropped it a few days back. Let me look around.

http://kotaku.com/363852/is-guitar-hero-van-halen-next-for-activision

Clint Eastwood on
  • OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm imagining somebody playing a full-sized guitar controller while bent over squinting at a tiny handheld.

Now I'm imagining the person rocking out so much that he pulls the guitar so hard that the DS yoinks off the desk and crashes into a nearby wall.

And now I'm laughing a little bit.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • MashalotMashalot Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yeah I thought there was talk of a guitar peripheral you snapped the DS into. Thought info had popped up a few weeks ago, maybe even screens?

edit: n/m, lies and conjecture. There's a patent filing for a peripheral, sort of, though.

Mashalot on
    edited March 2008

I was under the impression that some Activision whackoff executive accidentally namedropped it a few days back. Let me look around.

http://kotaku.com/363852/is-guitar-hero-van-halen-next-for-activision

Reading that made me think his comment COULD be a random unrelated thing, but considering Activision has apparently become the new EA, I expect them to ramrod Guitar Hero into the fucking ground.

Wake me up for Tuba Hero featuring They Might Be Giants.

cloudeagle on
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Wake me up for Tuba Hero featuring They Might Be Giants.

What was:

Activision-Reports.jpg

not enough for you?

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    That exec was just talking about artists from that era, or at least that's how I read it. That quote hardly amounts to a rumor, let alone a confirmation of any kind.. I don't expect a Van Halen GH any time soon..

Which leaves us to expect nothing but the Aerosmith as being the only next console guitar hero officially announced so far, and this being the second portable GH after the mobile version.

And no there hasn't been any images or prototypes or anything related to the peripheral as of yet. Not official ones. Shitty mock-ups by fans with terrible photoshop skills, yes, but that's about it.

slash000 on
  • BantryBantry Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    If the peripheral is a tiny guitar, with just enough room on the neck for the 5 frets and the strum bar like an inch away, I will so buy it.
    Mace1370 wrote: »
    I want a Tenacious D game :(
    Brutal Legend is the closest we're likely to get.

Bantry on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Bantry wrote: »
    If the peripheral is a tiny guitar, with just enough room on the neck for the 5 frets and the strum bar like an inch away, I will so buy it.

If they actually made that, I would make it my personal mission to laugh at anyone I saw playing it.

UnbreakableVow on