As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recipes, my droogs!

13»

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2008
    Editor's note: Neville is not rad.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Man, I was raised broke as all hell. My pallette aint refined like y'alls.

My mom makes these awesome twice-baked potatoes... probably a common recipe, but they are delicious. Little time-consuming to make though.

broke?

I wasn't raised with no fancy kitchen or good food.

Govt Cheese and powdered milk.

Yes, I've lived off that.

Rice and pork scraps? 3 nights a week.

I swore I'd never live like that again. And I haven't.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2008
    i can't wait to find out that stale's a method actor

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Keith wrote: »

do you realize that would make me some kind of acting prodigy?

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Stale wrote: »

do you realize that would make me some kind of acting prodigy?

gotta go for the gold, kid

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    mind over matter

I'm so in character.... I can stop my own heart

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited March 2008
    man i just ate a whole bowl of spaghetti hoops and nothing else

i am already regretting it

bongi on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    If you have cucumbers or jicama or whatever fruit laying around jazz it up with:

ground red chili pepper flakes (to taste)
    salt (to taste)
    lemon half (to taste)

Sprinkle the salt and pepper over slices of ____ and drizzle with lemon juice. Drink the salty/spicy/yummy juice afterwards.

Its no real recipe, it's just a method of preparing fruits. All hispanics know how to 'make it' but we have been unable to come up with a name. It works best on cucumbers, jicama, tuna (as in cactus-fruit, look it up), and oranges (just forego the lemon).

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I wonder how good onion becomes if you grate it.

Things to try next week.

Blake T on
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Editor's note: Neville is not rad.

Editor's Editor's Note: Keith is homeless.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    PkmoutlPkmoutl Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Okay, here's a nice and simple one, even though it may sound a little odd.

Turkey Schnitzel
    You will need:
    2-4 turkey thighs or boneless turkey breast strips. I prefer the thighs, they hold up better.
    1 cup flour
    2 eggs
    1/4 cup milk
    salt
    pepper
    Lemon juice. Probably no more than 1 lemon, but I cheated and used the stuff in the squirt bottle.
    1/4 cup oil. I prefer a mix of olive and either safflower or vegetable oil.

First, start off by prepping your turkey. If you use the thighs like I do, get rid of the skin and the bones, and cut them into nice, even(ish) portions. Since we're making a Schnitzel, they need to be thin cutlets, so get out your meat tenderizing hammer (that's that weird mallet with the square spikey things on it) and flatten out your cutlets. Get them all to about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick at most. Nice and thin. You may have to go back after a while and give them all a good whack again, but I think you'll agree that it's a great stress reliever.

Next, break up the flour into two pans. I usually use pie pans or two loaf pans, but you do what you want. Put about 1/2 cup in each, and keep some nearby in case you need to replace it. In the second pan, put some salt and pepper into the mixture. In a third pan, put the eggs and the milk and mix together thoroughly. You can even whisk it if you want, but I just use a fork. Now lay out the three pans in the following order: Flour A, egg/milk, Flour B. The one with the salt and pepper is B. Give your cutlets a quick smack again, then one at a time drop them into the pans. Flour A, egg, Flour B. Set aside for about 10 minutes to let the flour really set. Don't over-handle it, or you'll end up with big hunks of flour and egg, and that doesn't taste quite as good as it may sound.

Once the cutlets are coated and setting for about 10 minutes, put the oil in the pan and heat it up. The original recipe I adapted this from called for a mixture of 1/4 cup of schmaltz and 2 tbsp of butter. I figure no one wants a heart attack at this age, so I stick with oil. If you have schmaltz around, have at. Once the oil is hot, put in the cutlets, maybe two or three at a time at most. You want them to cook nice and evenly, so lower the heat to about medium. They won't take very long to cook, maybe two minutes per side. Once the outside is nice and brown, you should be fine as long as you kept the cutlets nice and thin. Once they're browned on both sides, remove from the oil and let drain. While they are still hot, sprinkle lemon juice over the cooked cutlet.

This goes well with a side of buttered noodles, or maybe even buttered gnocchi, although I generally serve it with spetzel, which is a real pain in the ass to make.

This recipe was adapted from a Jewish recipe book that I have. I made it a little less complex and got rid of the heart-stopping schmaltz (which is a rendered chicken fat used for cooking and sometimes as a condiment).

I also put just a touch of garlic powder in my Flour B mix, but that's just me. In my house, garlic goes in just about everything.

Pkmoutl on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Pkmoutl wrote: »
    In my house, garlic goes in just about everything.

h5

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    here's a really simple smoothie recipe i remember from my days at the smoothie bar. the chai can be replaced with cocoa for a chocolate smoothie, or coffee powder, obviously for a coffee flavored smoothie. adjust this to your specific taste/ingredients, some ice does not grind as well, i actually prefer to use only a little bit of ice, its more a spacer than anything. start with less, you can always add more as you blend.

Vanilla Chai Tea Smoothie
    makes 24 ounces (if i am remembering it all right)

8 ounces soy milk (or normal milk)
    2 tablespoons Vanilla Chai Powder
    2 scoops vanilla frozen yogurt/ice cream
    3/4 cup crushed ice (leave out and add more ice cream/frozen yogurt for a creamier smoothie)

Blend all in one blender till smooth.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    For breakfast the other day I made an Italian breakfast quesadilla.

I scrambled some eggs, seasoned them with a bit of red pepper and rosemary, and put them between 2 tortillas with marinara sauce and various cheeses, and then fried the whole thing in butter.

It was amazing.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    435435 [E] Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    First one, a recipe for a much-despised Pennsylvania Dutch foodstuff. Usually made with icky bits, this one's made with awesome.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you my grandfather's...
    Scrapple

1 cup cornmeal
    1 cup milk
    1 tsp sugar
    1 tsp salt
    2 1/2 cups water
    1 package hot sausage

Combine cornmeal, milk, sugar and salt. Bring the water to a boil and then add the combined ingredients. Return to a boil, cover, and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes. Pack mixture into a loaf pan and cool.

After cooling, cut into slices and fry until golden.

Trust me, this shit's DELICIOUS.

Next, a nice, basic, elegant bisque.
    Chicken Bisque Soup

1 whole chicken (stewing hen preferred)
    1 carrot
    1 stalk of celery
    1 small onion
    3 T. salt
    1/2 c. butter
    1 c. flour
    1/2 c. chopped pimento
    1/2 tsp. white pepper
    2 cubes or 1 T. condensed chicken boullion

Place chicken in stock pot, fill pot with water enough to fully cover chicken. Add salt, carrot, celery and onion (chopped roughly or broken). Boil until chicken is tender.

Carefully remove chicken from stock. Strain stock and reserve. Discard or recycle vegetation (Alton feeds it to his dog, just sayin'). In the same pot, melt butter. Add flour to melted butter and stir to make a light roux. Add stock, and simmer on medium heat for 15 minutes. Shred 2 cups of cooked chicken and add to mixture, reserving the rest for another use. I suggest chicken salad. :9

Add remaining ingredients and stir. Taste for seasoning, adjust as needed, and serve.
    OR.
    Hit that thing with an immersion blender until smooth. Then taste again, adjust as needed, and serve.

435 on
    catsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    that's not scrapple

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    cadmunkycadmunky One hand on the bottle, The other a shaking fist.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    scrapple....ugh

skull scrapin's

once you get past that, it's probably good stuff. i just haven't gotten that far.

cadmunky on
    5955603848_aed2690084.jpg
    "Think of it as Evolution in Action"
  • Options
    TheidarTheidar Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Scrapple is very good, as long as you don't think about what it is.

I only eat it about twice a year.

I have no idea what 435 posted, but those indegredents are to appetizing to be scrapple

Theidar on
    Gamertag: Theidar
    Wii Friend Code: 0072 4984 2399 2126
    PSN ID : Theidar
    Facebook
    Behold the annhilation of the extraterrestrial and the rise of the machines.
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    That is not scrapple

Scrapple is pork leavings and trimmings and waste.

There is no sausage, it's quite literally what is left over after the edible bits are done. Like... even after sausage.... it's what is left.

Scrapple is po' folk food. It's fucking horrible on it's own. We used to mix it with rice.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    another po' folk food is ramen.

and kraft mac and cheese.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

No.

No it isn't. That's normal person food.

Po folk food is shit you get for free.

Where I grew up, you got your food stamps and they gave you powdered milk, bricks of this horrible waxy cheese, Bags of rice, and bricks of scrapple every week.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Where I grew up, you got your food stamps and they gave you powdered milk, bricks of this horrible waxy cheese, Bags of rice, and bricks of scrapple every week.

Did you eat coal as a child Stale?

And live in a box?

In the street?

With 18 brothers and sisters?

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    the scrapple we get is real pennsylvania dutch scrapple

it's gross so I don't eat it

also i guess because i'm a vegetarian i guess

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Silmaril wrote: »

Did you eat coal as a child Stale?

And live in a box?

In the street?

With 18 brothers and sisters?

In the middle of Illinois.

no coal.

and I was an only child.

If I wasn't in the hospital, I was in a run-down house out in the middle of nowhere, poor as shit.

Then my parents got jobs for Mitsubishi and it was all good.

But seriously.... dirt fucking poor.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited March 2008
    oh man coal is so tasty num num num

bongi on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

No.

My dad says government cheese melts really nicely.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

No.

They just aren't legally allowed to call it cheese anymore.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Also, as long as we're talking about dirt poor, my Gramma Betty was one of 21 other children. She is the daughter of sharecroppers, basically white slaves. Poor families always have the most interesting family history. My family all lived in Oklahoma for the longest time, and until the 1930's or 40's still travelled via covered wagon. We just got all these rad old pictures and a journal from some of my dad's cousins via email. One of the pictures is, apparently, so old that it's printed on tin, and was taken while the family was in town to pick up someone's Civil War pension check.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

No.

It depended on which supplier you got it from.

If it was the tan wax paper, it was cheese-like in taste and did ok.

If it was the dark brown paper, it tasted like motor oil and melted into half-oil half-chalk.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2008
    oh man, I haven't had Government Cheese in ages.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    TheidarTheidar Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    See Stale knows his Scrapple.

And as Keith pointed out around here it is considered "Pennsylvania Dutch" food not poor folk food.

Its very salty,I usually mix mine with eggs(over easy).

Theidar on
    Gamertag: Theidar
    Wii Friend Code: 0072 4984 2399 2126
    PSN ID : Theidar
    Facebook
    Behold the annhilation of the extraterrestrial and the rise of the machines.
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST