As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Should I quit my job?

Aoi TsukiAoi Tsuki Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I've been struggling with financial difficulties since I was flat-fuck dumb enough to flunk out of college a year ago; I thought my train had finally come in when I got a nice book-proofing gig last September...and then was laid off along with every other person on second shift (and day, too, I think...fuckers) right after New Year's. Right after I moved into a new house to be closer to the place, I might add. HA. Fuckers.

Anyway, I immediately updated my resume, got ahold of the people who eventually paid me some unemployment monies, and hit the job ads, and started a new gig as a state Edicaid-may contractor (dunno who'll Google you these days at work). It's eleven bucks an hour, 40 hours a week, eight to five, and pretty close to my current digs. I am comfortable as hell in this little house, my roommate is that awesome balance of buddy and someone-you-don't-HAVE-to-hang-out-with that I've always wanted, and our pets are all comfy together. New job is paper-pushing and boring as hell, but secure, and I recently told my supervisor I'd stay on till I went back to finish school at the end of July. (I not only have little to do to get my bachelor's, but I'm reluctant to get married till that's out of the way; he's graduating this May.)

I had previously submitted an application to the IRS in a moment of bored frustration a few weeks back, before my supervisor...let's call him Carl, told me he and his own boss liked me and wanted me to stay till I had to leave, 'cause there are no part-time options there that'd let me attend class and work at the same time. Well, just a few days ago, here comes an e-mail from Ye Tax Ppls, asking me to come in for a pre-interview fingerprinting next Wednesday. I sigh, roll my eyes, and e-mail them a polite indication that I'd found other work, but please keep my info on file, etc., and actually receive a polite answer, in effect, of "Will do."

Friday, just before quittin' time, Carl calls me into his office. Red flags go up like little boners in my mind: Carl looks uncomfortable, and his backup clerk, Mark, is also there, visibly unhappy, along with a supervisor I've never met. The issues he laid out before me were thus: in the month I've been there, I've done some great stuff. Yay, me! Buuut there's a few liiiittle things: one, I play my DS instead of working, two, I dick around on the clock at the end of the day far too often, three, my Quality reports are way too low, four, my payout paperwork is almost consistently incorrectly filed, and five? Motherfucking five is BO.

Have you ever seen anyone who is actually writhing, he's so eager to be elsewhere? Mark was giving off little "HOSHIT" rays and grimacing like mad. Carl was more poised, but speaking with as much tact and regret as possible--but the other supervisor, Bitchcake, obviously expected me to go flying off the handle. I only kept from a hugely embarrassing breakdown out of rage at this woman, because her sensitivity training obviously leans heavily toward "When in doubt, treat the employee like a retarded six-year-old. Works every time!"

I'm rambling. The point is, I do piss away the last twenty minutes or so on the clock far too frequently, and I apologized, promising to correct that. I only play my DS, though, on breaks, and as for my work sucking, this is the first I've heard of it since I started there a month ago! And offensive body odor? He wouldn't tell me who had complained, how many people, how bad the smell, for how long, or any other detail of my supposed offense therein. I've never been so goddamned embarrassed and frustrated.

My feelings at this juncture are very heavily mixed. On the one hand, I've seen a lot of miscommunication, half-assed training and inconsistent grading at this place already; the work is boring as fuck, and not in an ignorable, off-goes-the-brain sort of way; the IRS pays $3 more an hour for more interesting work at the time of night I've always preferred, near my house, AND with my brother and our old roommate, who can supply me with two excellent references, 'cause we've all worked together at similar jobs before, including the book-proofing. Carl wants me to learn how to not do all the things I've apparently been fucking up for weeks now, but I'm not good at pretending to not mind working with people who might always suspect or flat-out think I smell like ass, or that I'm dragging my feet on doing our job properly.

On the other hand, I was brought up to regard my word as something that I'd better have a goddamned awesome reason to break, and "You said I was dumb and smelly, and I want someplace with more money, nyeh" just doesn't have the right ring to it. There's also the fact that Carl is one of the nicest guys ever, and not only complimented me on my consideration in telling him I wanted to leave in July - rather than up and quitting - but lent me $20 of his own money when the post office lost my check in the mail and I had no gas. What really kills me is how nice my coworkers are, too, except this one bitch who's probably the one with the delicate nose, may she go choke on rhino semen. (I know you can't smell yourself, and it's hard to tell someone they have BO, but still, in theory, wouldn't I somehow magically know I reeked if I did in fact reek? I do shower.)

Am I being too delicately butt-hurt and whiny, or should I suck it up, set about fixing all my mistakes (scrub myself with bleach before I go in every morning) keep my word and stay till the end of July, as the IRS is only a 95% certainty anyway?

Aoi Tsuki on

• DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    Do what's best for you, long term. There's a reason it's called a "business relationship" and not a "friendship," though. Your "word" was what you gave when you signed a contract that (likely) said you were an at-will employee, and could quit or be terminated at any time.

I wouldn't burn any bridges (certainly tell them you are quitting two weeks before your last day), but quitting a job because another one pays more and is more interesting is an absolutely valid thing to do.

And for the love of god don't quit until you have a confirmed start date at the other job.

Doc on
  • ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    yes

Comahawk on
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I suggest you do quit, but not until you have an actual start date from the IRS. Also, are you planning on keeping the IRS job through July, when you were going to quit this job? When you go back to school at the end of July, are you going to want a job at all?

If you are planning on not having a job at that time, then I would stick it out with these guys - and try to clean up your act. I only say this because it won't look that great and you won't get much in the way of references from the IRS people if they hire you in April and you quit in July after working there for 4 months.

Also, I don't really have a problem with most of the concerns they have. You complain about how they haven't told you that your work was bad and you've been working there for a month - well they did tell you, right now. They gave you a couple weeks to get used to the work and a couple more to try to straighten things out yourself, and it didn't happen, so they're telling you now. You need to work all the way until the end of work, and it looks like you're doing that. As for playing your DS - how many breaks do you get in a day? This may be something you just want to quit doing as obviously it is annoying someone. And the BO, I don't even know what to do about that - I think it was semi unprofessional for you to be called out on that in front of other people, your manager probably should have spoken to you about that alone. Extra-strength deodorant maybe?

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    even at the new job these problems may follow ya. I gotta say, my roommate is stinky and she doesn't know it. I have no polite way of telling her, so I haven't brought it up. Biggest problem is that she re-wears clothes that smell like stale sweat, then goes and sweats in them some more (takes regular walks) without changing into workout clothes or anything. I'm sure you shower regularly, so does my roomie... it's usually the clothes themselves that are the culprit

That said... it's only a few months more. 4 months til you're back in school, right? Are you planning on working while in school at all? I personally wouldn't really bother going through new training for a job I'm going to be quitting that soon, unless the current one was truly heinous. If you aren't planning on quitting it though, or can work part time/half time while in school, I'd definitely move over... but don't quit til you're actually offered the position by ze IRS

ihmmy on
  • PongePonge Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    If the woman was insensitive/rude then file a complaint about her. She sounds like the type of woman who would do the same to you if the shoe was on the other foot.

Ponge on
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    Ponge wrote: »
    If the woman was insensitive/rude then file a complaint about her. She sounds like the type of woman who would do the same to you if the shoe was on the other foot.

How will that help him in his situation?

Doc on
  • Sir Red of the MantiSir Red of the Manti Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Some companies pull stuff like this as a motivational strategy. These are not companies you want to work for. However, as money is a good thing, always have another job lined up before dropping your current one. Otherwise, if the IRS thing falls through and you don't have a job to fall back on, you're screwed.

Sir Red of the Manti on
  • AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I've had to give the "you smell" talk to someone before, and I have to say it is the most horrific thing to have to do. I've fired probably 50+ people in my life, but having to give that talk caused me more anxiety than any of the firings by far. Actually, I ended up passing it off to an older co-worker after obsessing about it for a week or so.

I just wanted to share that so that you know it was probably as awkward for them as it was for you. I'm not actually saying that you smell bad :)

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Sounds to me that the pros of going to the IRS outweigh the pros of staying at the current place. Also what happens when your coworkers find different jobs or if your awesome supervisor Carl leaves? Then it will be too late to go to the IRS and you will still be stuck at the boring as hell job with new people you may not like. I would go if I were in that situation.
    Also don't feel too embarrassed about the BO thing. Something similar happened to me a while back. Only it was a customer and he made fun of me mercilessly. You already shower so just double down on the deodorant or switch brands and everyone will soon forget about it.

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm not good at pretending to not mind working with people who might always suspect or flat-out think I smell like ass

If you wear deodorant/antiperspirant, wash your clothes semi frequently, and make some sort of attempt to not smell like an armpit, you shouldn't get the BO talk. Your body odor is offensive to other people, and can make others feel uncomfortable in the workplace. At my last retail job I saw about 3 or 4 guys get this talk. Its shitty, embarrassing and may seem unnecessary, but you brought it on yourself.

If you feel uncomfortable working there try to line up another job and put in your two week notice.

If not, rectify your problems. Stop bringing your DS to work. Work until the end of your shift, like you are supposed to. Learn how to correctly file the paperwork. Try to smell better.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Aoi TsukiAoi Tsuki Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Goddamn, you guys are awesome. I can't get advice this sensibly objective from my friends, thassfersure. <3 Fuckers are too busy trying to make me feel better or something.

One thing at a time:
    Doc wrote:
    There's a reason it's called a "business relationship" and not a "friendship," though. Your "word" was what you gave when you signed a contract that (likely) said you were an at-will employee, and could quit or be terminated at any time.

I wouldn't burn any bridges (certainly tell them you are quitting two weeks before your last day), but quitting a job because another one pays more and is more interesting is an absolutely valid thing to do.

And for the love of god don't quit until you have a confirmed start date at the other job.

Good point, and yes, it is at-will. I'm not scorchin' any earth when I leave this place, under whatever circumstances...and to any impressionable young passers-by who've never learned the hard way not to quit your job till Jesus Himself has assured you He's got this sweet new job for you elsewhere, take it from me: DON'T DO IT. I learned that meself last spring--can you say "selling off all your games and DVDs in exchange for $1 rice packets"?
    Comahawk wrote:
    yes

Boobies. (Which I have, by the way. That makes the BO allegation all the more embarrassing...vagina owners are not supposed to ever smell bad.)
    tsmvengy wrote:
    Also, are you planning on keeping the IRS job through July, when you were going to quit this job? When you go back to school at the end of July, are you going to want a job at all?

If you are planning on not having a job at that time, then I would stick it out with these guys - and try to clean up your act. I only say this because it won't look that great and you won't get much in the way of references from the IRS people if they hire you in April and you quit in July after working there for 4 months.

It's seasonal. I work my ass off there for a few months and accumulate at least a coupla thousand more than I would here, for a slightly shortened duration (leaving me some wiggle room to find part-time work at a few temp agencies I know in the same town as my university), and come right on back at the beginning of next year. My friend's been doing it for years, and I'm as qualified or better. (Again, waitin' on that start date first.)
    Also, I don't really have a problem with most of the concerns they have.

I do understand and even agree with most of it. We get two 15-minute breaks before and after lunch, then lunch itself, but shifts are slightly staggered, so a passing supervisor doesn't know at a glance if I'm playing games on the clock or if it's just hit my first break. (I stopped bringing the damn thing today--got a "book" instead.) And it's not that they found fault with my work, it's that I've been doing the same work since the very beginning and feel I'm being criticized for a lack of training I wasn't aware I needed: slow communication is a bad sign for all concerned, because what happens when I'm officially out of Training and I get slapped with a warning(s) for mistakes I never knew I was making? I fix it, yes, but I second-guess myself constantly, pester coworkers for help unnecessarily, etc.

And BO...well, I've stopped wearing the same sweater more than twice a week, and showering proceeds apace. (But they don't smell ahkidhalfhj ARGH)
    ihmmy wrote:
    even at the new job these problems may follow ya. I gotta say, my roommate is stinky and she doesn't know it. I have no polite way of telling her, so I haven't brought it up. Biggest problem is that she re-wears clothes that smell like stale sweat, then goes and sweats in them some more (takes regular walks) without changing into workout clothes or anything. I'm sure you shower regularly, so does my roomie... it's usually the clothes themselves that are the culprit

Yeah, the guy who figures out a polite way to tell people they stink will never have to work again. (As long as he patents it.) I'm just going to be extra scrupulous about that from now on. As for timing, it seems like a short time to change jobs, and it is; however, not only is the IRS seasonal anyway, but the extra money per hour will add up fast, AND they have better health insurance--I can use the student clinic when that ends come July. I also dig the idea of coming back next spring to do the same thing, provided I'm not viciously abused over there.
    Some companies pull stuff like this as a motivational strategy. These are not companies you want to work for. However, as money is a good thing, always have another job lined up before dropping your current one. Otherwise, if the IRS thing falls through and you don't have a job to fall back on, you're screwed.

My dad is a corporate recruiter, and says I shouldn't have negotiated a leaving date at all, just quit when I had another job lined up. :/ I'd MUCH rather have a sneaky, poopy job than none, though. I've been there before, and it was fucking Hell.
    AtomBomb wrote:
    I've had to give the "you smell" talk to someone before, and I have to say it is the most horrific thing to have to do. I've fired probably 50+ people in my life, but having to give that talk caused me more anxiety than any of the firings by far. Actually, I ended up passing it off to an older co-worker after obsessing about it for a week or so.

I just wanted to share that so that you know it was probably as awkward for them as it was for you. I'm not actually saying that you smell bad

My friends assure me I don't reek...maybe they're politely fibbing, or they're used to it, or bigger slobs, or maybe my work clothes are the culprit, as noted. I did apologize to Carl and Mark for the necessity of having to tell me I smelled--that makes things far more awkward than "Wahh, you dun like me" ever could.
    Forbe! wrote:
    If you wear deodorant/antiperspirant, wash your clothes semi frequently, and make some sort of attempt to not smell like an armpit, you shouldn't get the BO talk. Your body odor is offensive to other people, and can make others feel uncomfortable in the workplace. At my last retail job I saw about 3 or 4 guys get this talk. Its shitty, embarrassing and may seem unnecessary, but you brought it on yourself.

If you feel uncomfortable working there try to line up another job and put in your two week notice.

If not, rectify your problems. Stop bringing your DS to work. Work until the end of your shift, like you are supposed to. Learn how to correctly file the paperwork. Try to smell better.

No, I shouldn't, hence my hurt confusion. If people said I smell, I must have/do smell, and I did thus bring it on myself...but how, I'm still not sure, and that's a shitty feeling. Till I have that IRS offer in hand, I'm keeping my head down (and clean), bringing books, asking questions, and wondering if all the interviews Carl is conducting could smooth my passage out, if need be. (I was brought on to help two departments at once, hence fun times with communication.)

Aoi Tsuki on