Options

The Great Indie Game Review Project: We're not dead yet!

2»

• Options
    reach42reach42 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    ROM Check Fail

3.png

Time Played: 1.2 hours. Version 1.0 was played. Rom Check Fail is a hodgepodge of classic games thrown together. The player must go through 20 levels based off of levels from all of the games. Randomly every 30 seconds or so, the game changes the tileset, the players character, and the enemies you face. Your characters include Pacman, Mario, Link, the Asteroids ship, the Space invaders sliding guy, the spy hunter car, and a jet fighter from some game I didn't recognize. Enemies include the Asteroids, the scrolling space invaders (and if they're near the bottom of the level they go faster too), ghosts who I believe are from gauntlet (though I may be wrong), Goombas, red bouncy balls, floating lines, and boxes. System requirements are very low and the game itself is 10 MB including the installer.
    7.png
    First: The bad, nothing feels worse than playing as pacman after eating a superpellet. "WAIT! Reach, what the hell are you talking about? It basically turns you into a superhero!" And to that I say, "Yes, though feasting on the blood of your defeated enemies may be exhilarating, you almost ALWAYS get turned into that useless space invaders character!" The space invader slidey guy is limited to a straight horizontal line just like in the original game, except here, it is almost always a hindrance. And, er, that's all that's really bad about this game.
    CarShooting.jpg
    The Good: The consistently changing game rules cause the player to strategize, especially when the screen starts to give notification that it's about to change. Each character moves along the same rules as the do in their original game. Link walks from a topdown perspective, mario is dragged down by gravity, and etc. Another nice touch is the music which is drawn from all of these titles and randomly thrown in irregardless of tileset/characters. Nothing feels quite as satisfying as blasting hordes of goombas with the jet. Another plus to this game is the geek cred that comes with knowing where everything is from.
    levelfinishmidgameshift.jpg
    I'm giving this a thumbs up for sure:^:

reach42 on
    reach42.png
  • Options
    Sprocket FlossSprocket Floss Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oh yeah great. Turns out everyone have played and beaten Gamma Bros before.

I guess that leaves Fuck Space. I almost beat the 4th boss recently, so I think I'm on my way.

Sprocket Floss on
  • Options
    Tonberry KingTonberry King Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oh yeah great. Turns out everyone have played and beaten Gamma Bros before.

I guess that leaves Fuck Space. I almost beat the 4th boss recently, so I think I'm on my way.
    By all means, finish GB.

Multiple reviews aren't discouraged.

Tonberry King on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Cosmic Invaders

No version number. Played for about an hour total.

A cross between Space Invaders and Turret Defence. Set up 3 different types of towers to shoot down waves of aliens before they reach the bottom of the screen. The aliens become harder to kill with each level, but the cash they give with each death can be spent on additional towers or on upgrading the ones already placed.
    Good: Nice concept.

Bad: Of the 3 types of towers, only one stays useful. There's no music, or sound of any kind. The game doesn't end, the enemies never change, and after setting up the most expensive towers there's nothing left to do but watch.

:v:

Chelsea and the 7 Devils / Bunny Must Die

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/151329.html

Revision 060725. Played for about 6 hours.

Bunny Must Die is a Japanese metroidvania with a neat time manipulation power at its heart. The main character is a bunny girl named Bunny, who, after being caught in a horrible cat explosion, sprouts cat ears. Confused over her new state, she cries out in horror. Luckily, a fat messenger of God appears and leads her to a cave deep in the woods where she can hopefully have the curse lifted. Unfortunately, the messenger is attacked and killed, leaving her stranded in the mysterious cave. That's about all there is to say about that.

Although all the dialogue is in Japanese, the menus are in English and the gameplay should be obvious to anyone who has a moderate familiarity with metroidvania-style games, or platforming games in general. Explore, fight bosses, get new abilities to enable further exploration, look for hidden powerups, repeat. The time manipulation gimmick changes the game enough to keep it interesting, and learning to use it properly can really help make up for the clunky controls.

The Good: A decent sized map with a lot of secrets to collect. The game can be run through in about an hour and a half, but typically it seems to take 3 or more, depending on the amount of time spent of hunting down secret items. Certain areas are downright hard, and the last boss has 7(!) forms. After beating the game, it's possible to unlock another full game with Chelsea (the last boss in Bunny's game) as the main character instead of Bunny. Chelsea plays completely different from Bunny, making it a fresh experience.

The Bad: The controls are stiff like 4 day old pizza after it's been in the microwave too long. This is particularly a problem considering the many difficult jumping puzzles in the game, but it's not insurmountable. There are many signs in the game that are meant to give the player information, but they're all in Japanese. Again, most of the game is obvious enough, but it can be frustrating to have no idea what to do next. The angles of diagonal attacks are very strange.

:^:
    Notes on Gameplay:

To help players who can't read Japanese and don't want to be frustrated all to Hell because they have no idea what to do next, I'll include this handy little guide. Note: You cannot move right until you get the gear powerup.

Basic Controls: There are 4 buttons. Button 1 is attack, button 2 is jump, button 3 activates the time power, button 4 opens up the map and menu.

Advanced Controls: [Back Dodge] - down+button 2 (Quickly slide backwards a few steps. Hit jump again to do a little hop.) [Dash] - forward, forward (must have the dash shoes). [Dash Attack] - forward, forward+button 1 (hold up or down to control flight). [Wall Jump] - Button 2 when up against and facing a wall (press right or left immediately after the wall jump to regain air control an allow wall climbing. Wall jumps aren't possible during a spin jump). [Block/Parry] Press the direction Bunny is facing just as she's hit by an attack to parry that attack SF3 style and take no damage. This is really useful when falling into spikes.

[Time Stop] - Button 3 (Press once to activate, once more to deactivate. No longer uses up time bar after 4 time powerups. After that, only damaging enemies will drain the bar.). [Time Reverse] Hold button 3 (Must have at least 2 time powerups. Reverses time for everything except for Bunny. Essential for most of the switch puzzles in the game.). [Slow Time] Dash + button 3 (can only be used after 5 time powerups). [Time Heal] Up + Button 3 (Can only be used after 6 time powerups. Drains time bar to refill health). [Transform] Down + Button 3 (Must have the purple bunny suit powerup. Transforms into Dynamite Body. All attacks are doubled, Bunny takes reduced damage. Jump height is much lower, though jumping twice in a row will achieve normal height. A ground pound is added to each jump. Transform again to turn back into normal Bunny).

By Page-

Tonberry King on
  • Options
    Mr.BrickMr.Brick Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    awesome thread guys. Im playing lots of stuff i never had before!

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Hey so Wiiware came out today...

Cmon, I know a lot of people are playing these games. How about some reviews for the wiki. We need to keep this thing alive.

Tonberry King on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So I recently played through Jets 'n' Guns and though I might stick a review up.

Do I need to sign up for anything, or do I just post it here?

subedii on