As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer combat jacket simulates being shot

ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Games and Technology
ncombat110a.jpgt.gif
Computer combat jacket simulates being shot

A virtual reality combat jacket that allows computer game players to feel their on-screen characters being shot and punched is to be launched this week.
# Xbox 360 price cut as Microsoft chases casual gamers

The 3rd Space vest uses air pressure to deliver pneumatic jolts to players' torsos to simulate sensations experienced by game characters such as recoil from weapons, jolts from jumping and bullet impacts.

It is part of a trend for games developers to increasingly use physical touch and movement to make gaming experiences more realistic reflected in the success of the Nintendo Wii, which involves a remote control that transmits a player's movements to a screen.

Dr Mark Ombrellaro, a vascular surgeon from Bellevue, Washington, adapted the jacket from a more sophisticated medical version he created to allow doctors to carry out long distance examinations on patients in prison or in isolated rural communities via the internet.

Dr Ombrellaro said: "This is unlike anything that's been out there before. Everybody is looking for the latest immersive experience, to be really engaged with content.

"Audio and visual graphics are of course excellent mediums, but we have five senses and in computer games we are only really using two of them. Here we are making use of a third sensory dimension.

"It's a way for game designers and players to taking gaming to the next level. It provides a way for reality and virtual reality to interact.

"If you watch people playing with the vest they physically flinch to get away from enemies, and get into the game in a way they have never done before."
advertisement

The 3rd Space vest delivers up to 5lbs of force to the torso via eight pneumatic impact cells linked to tiny air pistons - four on the front of the body and four on the back - which inflate at different positions and speed according to the action being simulated in the game. It will go on sale this week for £129 bundled with two games including Call of Duty II.

The jacket is available in black, grey camouflage and pink. At present it is only compatible with certain PC games, such as Unreal Tournament, Halflife 2, Medal of Airborne, Quake 4 and Doom 3, however Dr Ombrellaro is in discussions with the makers of the major games consoles.

Dr Ombrellaro's company TouchNetworks is also planning virtual reality helmets, long-sleeved tops and trousers. He is also working on models that imitate the forces involved in driving and flight simulation games.

Guy Cocker, a journalist on the GameSpot UK website, said: "Games have become more and more realistic in terms of graphics and sound. But gamers will always want more immersive experiences.

"I haven't tried this particular product. Whether it is successful may depend on whether its creators can get the support of major developers so that new games are specifically programmed to make the experience genuinely more realistic."

This is ridiculous. We seriously are getting close to PBF territory now..

PBF134-Game_System.gif

pokes: 1505 8032 8399
Æthelred on

• Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    It will go on sale this week for £129 bundled with two games including Call of Duty II.

The jacket is available in black, grey camouflage and pink. At present it is only compatible with certain PC games, such as Unreal Tournament, Halflife 2, Medal of Airborne, Quake 4 and Doom 3, however Dr Ombrellaro is in discussions with the makers of the major games consoles.

Bolded for what the fuck lols.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This can't be real. It just can't.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    Chris WChris W Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Sounds fucking terrible.

Chris W on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    There's a whole bunch of videos on YouTube of people trying it out a CES - search for 3rd Space.

The only people that actually seem to be retailing them are TN Games themselves via their website, though. So basically it will fail at retail. If not because the idea of getting punched repeatedly in the chest is undesirable to begin with, then because their retail and marketing is weak sauce.

Also, they don't have the pink one on their website so the girls won't buy one (or me).

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    "Why am I bleeding?"

drunkenpandaren on
    Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Being a known masochist, I am interested in this product.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    SoggychickenSoggychicken Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Can't wait till they make one that can simulate burning for TF2...

Soggychicken on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

0735.png

Panels 5 and 6? :D

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    My mum bought me a rumble jacket for the PS1 once. It was terrible.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Isn't this fairly old news?

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Willeth wrote: »

I'm imagining full-body Dual shock feedback rumbling and feeling mildly sick.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Doronron on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I'm imagining full-body Dual shock feedback rumbling and feeling mildly sick.

Pretty much. Except it was extraordinarily weak.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Beaten by about 13 years. I remember wanting one of these when I was younger. :(

product1-s.jpg

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    But what if they shoot you in your head guys?

What if.

Also your crotch.

Peas on
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Do you know how many times I get shot in games like Call of Duty 2 or Doom 3?

Far, far, FAR too many to make this product even semi-viable.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Dangerous wrote: »
    Beaten by about 13 years. I remember wanting one of these when I was younger. :(

snipped img

One of my friends had this. He thought it was going to be all high tech, sort of like the OP's article.

Nope, it's just a subwoofer that straps on your back. I think we tried it once and never touched it again.

Pemulis on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008

I'm imagining full-body Dual shock feedback rumbling and feeling mildly, mildly shaken.

I picture it like being pushed around by an irate bee. Maybe he brings a friend if you happen to be stood in front of a chaingun.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Why would anyone want to buy this? If I could do so for free, I'd probably try it, but no way would I buy it.

Peewi on
  • Options
    PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Peewi wrote: »
    Why would anyone want to buy this? If I could do so for free, I'd probably try it, but no way would I buy it.

The only interesting use for something like this would be for horror genre games. Combine a physical sensation with the aural and visual scares. I know I'd shit my pants.

Pemulis on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Why did they have to make it a big, bulky, stupid looking camo-jacket? Couldn't they make it just a few straps, that's less intrusive, and you can just put it on over a t-shirt?

Dissociater on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Why did they have to make it a big, bulky, stupid looking camo-jacket? Couldn't they make it just a few straps, that's less intrusive, and you can just put it on over a t-shirt?

I don't think you understand who this is for.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Pemulis wrote: »
    Peewi wrote: »

The only interesting use for something like this would be for horror genre games. Combine a physical sensation with the aural and visual scares. I know I'd shit my pants.

Holy shit. That would be amazing!

urahonky on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Malkor wrote: »

There's a big market for gear to help you blend in the rough jungle wilds between the couch and the fridge.

I think I'd rather just buy one of those super chairs with the subwoofer and speakers built in. And a mini fridge in the armrest.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Malkor wrote: »

There's a big market for gear to help you blend in the rough jungle wilds between the couch and the fridge.

I think I'd rather just buy one of those super chairs with the subwoofer and speakers built in. And a mini fridge in the armrest.
    You can make your own rumble chair with a bass shaker and an amplifier. It can really complement your subwoofer.

There is also a rumble helmet in this video. I'm not sure that's such a good idea.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    One of the most annoying things in computer games is when you are being shot or hit and can't fight back because your character is stuck in a recoil animation. At least during that period I can drink some coffee. If I'm being slung around the living room at the same time? Not so much.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Peas wrote: »
    But what if they shoot you in your head guys?

What if.
    Also your crotch.

Head, hands, arms, legs, feet, arse... If they're going to do this, then at least do it properly.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    A better product would be a chair with a screen mounted in front of it for racing games. as you accelerate, the chair would slowly and slightly tilt backwards to give you the sensation of speed.

Of course, that's just as feasible as this thing becoming a smash hit, but at least it'd be way cooler than this.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    MOST gamers would probably not buy this, and uh, all it does is fuel anti-gamers like Mr. Thompson.

I can see it already.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The prosecution asserts that this shit is off the hook!

Anyhow, I think this would be a fantastic item for child-rearing. We could completely do away with physical beatings with belts, hangars, shoes, spoons etc. Misbehave? Get shot!

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    A better product would be a chair with a screen mounted in front of it for racing games. as you accelerate, the chair would slowly and slightly tilt backwards to give you the sensation of speed.

Of course, that's just as feasible as this thing becoming a smash hit, but at least it'd be way cooler than this.

There are a bunch of different race chairs available now, ranging from ~$1k to $50k. You can get non moving chassis for ~200$ as well.

stigweard on
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I want a jacket that says "Need a teleporter here!" nonstop 24/7. Then I can concentrate on jumping through the air while swinging a baseball bat wildly.

That PBF comic is exactly what I thought of when I read the thread title.

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I wonder how long it will take before the first lawsuit hits them, ie "This vest broke my little Rodney's ribs!", "It malfunctioned and electrocuted my baby!", etc. :D

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    If Nintendo put this out it would sell MILLIONS.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    If Nintendo put this out it would sell MILLIONS. Because they'd do it right

Fixed that for ya.

Veevee on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    But... dude. Imagine how crazy the hardcore FPS community would be like! You can FEEL stuff! And it kills your aim! Talk about some mad skilz!

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Pemulis wrote: »

I'd shit my pants with you. That would be pant-shitacular. Pant-shitastic.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I agree with the horror fans.

Now if only we had smell-o-vision.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    bobbiepeepbobbiepeep Registered User new member
    edited November 2008
    Has anyone seen something called Headplay? They are VR Goggles - could be cool with a combat jacket.

bobbiepeep on
  • Options
    RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I demo'd this at QuakeCon. It's an interesting concept in that you can feel the direction you're being shot from and it helps pinpoint enemies.

The problem?

The one I demo'd had a huge air compressor hooked up to it sitting on the floor which was then plugged into a wall. It wasnt loud, but you could hear it and I had air tubes running to my body...

Remington on
This discussion has been closed.