As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Illegible highlighted text in Firefox

GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
When I highlight text in Firefox, it usually becomes illegible due to the color the highlight. Pics can explain better than words. This is on a Mac btw.

In Firefox:
20080311-xse74pcjpite57rw813bckkqii.jpg

In Safari:
20080311-xxgxk1b1ma5d4kpmcahit83s1t.jpg

Is there some way to change the highlight color in Firefox? In XP, Firefox uses the system highlight color, but on the mac it seems to use its own.

PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
Gihgehls on

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Have you tried:

Tools -> Options, then click on the Content Tab, and about half way down there's some options for fonts and colors? I'd try playing around with those.

urahonky on
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Firefox does use the system highlight color on macs, but for some dumb reason it uses the highlight color that was selected when firefox booted rather than the current one. I wonder if anyone's filed that as a bug.

I'd suggest setting the color to black (best contrast on the forums), starting firefox, then once firefox finishes launching changing it back to whatever color you had before.

ura: mac and windows apps tend to have different menu layouts. On macs the options are almost always found under [App Name]->Preferences.

Smasher on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Smasher wrote: »
    Firefox does use the system highlight color on macs, but for some dumb reason it uses the highlight color that was selected when firefox booted rather than the current one. I wonder if anyone's filed that as a bug.

I'm not sure if a Carbon app would even be able to find out that the highlight colour had changed. It would be pretty expensive to query what colour it is every time.

Cocoa apps get to find out for free, as they're using native widgets.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I'd suggest setting the color to black (best contrast on the forums), starting firefox, then once firefox finishes launching changing it back to whatever color you had before.

This worked. Thanks a lot! I was hoping for some special about:config item to override it, but this will work for now.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Lewisham wrote: »

I'm not sure if a Carbon app would even be able to find out that the highlight colour had changed. It would be pretty expensive to query what colour it is every time.

Cocoa apps get to find out for free, as they're using native widgets.

Eh, the most someone could reasonably do a highlight is several times a second, and I can't imagine a simple query for what the highlight color is whenever firefox receives a drag event would be an expensive operation.

Not that it matters unless you happen to be a firefox dev.

Smasher on