As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Max Payne movie: New Trailer PG 6

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So rather than spend the $7.50 for a ticket I should dig out Max Payne and just play it instead?

I've got to be the only person on the boards with the Mac version. :P

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    tofu wrote: »
    Crank is fucking awful.

Fixed that for ya. I don't know if Shoot Em Up is any good or not, but I do know that Crank sucks shit.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Darmak wrote: »
    Fixed that for ya. I don't know if Shoot Em Up is any good or not, but I do know that Crank sucks shit.

You're only saying that because you're wrong. Crank is the goods.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Darmak wrote: »

You're only saying that because you're right. Crank is bad.

I have selective hearing. :P

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Just got back from seeing this... absolutely awful. The only even remotely good things about the movie are in the trailer.

I mean I can't even explain how bad this was. Jesus christ. How could they fuck that up? Everything about it sucked, especially the gunfights which weren't even gunfights but more like scenes of people getting shot. Only ONE slo-mo dodge action sequence, two jumpdives in total, it was just lacking so much on so many levels. Ughhhh. It could have been so fucking good, too...

Urian on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You guys didn't seriously expect it to be any good, did you? I mean, come on. The movie has Mila Kunis in it. She's terrible, and everything she's in is terrible.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    She was actually the best thing about the movie. And everything she's ever been in has been good... 70's show, Family Guy.. can't think of anything else.

She was what stood out in Max Payne mostly because she's so hot and everyone else acted just as badly.

edit: Now that I think about it, the one thing the movie got right was the atmosphere. The visuals were pretty special most of the time, but that's really it.

Urian on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Shoot 'Em Up was pretty fucking good, I must say.

I expected an action movie with a dumb plot and lots of dead guys. I got exactly what I expected.
    Yes exactly! I'm glad there is someone who thinks like I do.

It's a movie called Shoot Em Up. You should be expecting exactly what you got.

I loved Shoot Em Up.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I expected an action movie with a dumb plot and lots of dead guys. I got exactly what I expected.

I loved Shoot Em Up.

Shoot 'em Up and Crank.

Both awesome films and didn't pretend to be anything they weren't.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You folks do know that Crank: High Voltage is coming out in April, right?

Not to mention Tekken & Clock Tower come out next year, as well.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Shoot em' Up and Crank both ruled.

Urian on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

I loved Shoot Em Up.

Shoot 'em Up and Crank.

Both awesome films and didn't pretend to be anything they weren't.
    I liked the premise of Shoot 'em Up, in that it was clever and cartoonish but the action sequences didn't really do it for me. Body count alone doesn't get me excited. I'm more of a fan of John Woo's bullet ballets, which must have inspired the phenomenal shoot-outs in Desperado, The Matrix, and Equilibrium. And I know I'm the only one that thinks this, but I thought The Last Action Hero was a better send up of action movies.

Maybe IMDB got flooded with shills, but Max Payne is currently the highest ranking video game movie ever made.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Urian wrote: »
    She was actually the best thing about the movie. And everything she's ever been in has been good... 70's show, Family Guy.. can't think of anything else.

She was what stood out in Max Payne mostly because she's so hot and everyone else acted just as badly.

edit: Now that I think about it, the one thing the movie got right was the atmosphere. The visuals were pretty special most of the time, but that's really it.

Do not put Family Guy on a list of good things, it is terrible.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall on the other hand, was delightful.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It did do a couple of things right, but it did alot of things wrong for sure, and it could of been a great stand alone movie if it had done just a few more things right, I think it requires knowledge of the game, and that it is based on the game as is for sure.

Kunis seems like she drops in and out of character when she speaks, it could be from her speaking in the other languages (were there multiple, it moved to fast to tell). Her normal voice sounded just so wrong at parts, like she was being jackie from that 70's show or voice acting or something.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Does Marky Mark need a good director to act well?
    Because I really like him in a lot of movies but he is flat-out terrible in others. This and The Happening are the ones I'm thinking of most recently.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Bloods End wrote: »

I don't think you read the part about "has" been good.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    You folks do know that Crank: High Voltage is coming out in April, right?

Not to mention Tekken & Clock Tower come out next year, as well.

I am excited for the Crank sequel

Not so much for those other movies

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wait.

There's a Tekken movie?

Oh god I hope it's just the endings condensed into one movie.

It'll be the best damn movie ever.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Who even cares about Tekken anymore

I mean honestly

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

Family Guy has never been good.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Except when it wasn't so popular of course.

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Here we go again... I didn't like Crank either.

I'm beginning to think there's a sub-genre of action movies that just isn't for me.

Oh, and I saw Max Payne. It was okay, I guess, but I kinda wish I'd just played the games over again instead.

btw, someone spoiler the after credits stinger.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So I just beat Max Payne 2 last night.

I'm guessing the games will be more cinematic than the movies could ever hope to be?

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    BaratusBaratus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Who even cares about Tekken anymore

I mean honestly

People? Do they count?

http://sdtekken.com/2008/10/08/tekken-6-on-xbox-360/

http://tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=140

On topic, I'm terribly afraid to see the movie and knock down my Max Payne love to some degree...

Baratus on
    PSN: Baratus_JT
  • Options
    SkexisSkexis Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So I just beat Max Payne 2 last night.

I'm guessing the games will be more cinematic than the movies could ever hope to be?

In a word, yes.

The movie loses a lot just by virtue of trying to be a traditional movie, and following different character perspectives. If there had been a way to follow Max closely throughout the film instead of breaking up his thought process, I think it might have come closer to the game.

As it is, people's motivations never seem to ring true (Max included) because you only catch brief glimpses of them as Max rampages on through. The worst disservice they did was making Max seem like he didn't do any thinking for himself, and just thugged his way through the movie, stepping on toes to get what he wanted.

But the visuals really are nice, and the drug trip stuff towards the end was pretty cool as an addition to the MP universe.

Skexis on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    TVs_Frank wrote: »

Family Guy has always been awesome! It's the best kind of humour on tv.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Honk wrote: »

unfunny humor?

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Honk wrote: »

unfunny humor?

Like the time I was an intern for Bill Clinton!

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    tofu wrote: »
    Crank is way better than Shoot Em Up.

listen to this man

he has important things to tell us

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Crank was awesome.

Shoot Em Up felt empty and without soul.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I must say, I liked how whenever the drug was around they'd use green lighting, just like the game.

I also liked all the little shoutouts to characters from the game that didn't make it into the movie, like
    the Gognitti Storage place.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    gvandalegvandale Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Crank was awesome.
    Shoot Em Up failed (except Monica Belucci)

I ALMOST went and saw this last night with my fiance, but we chose Sex Drive instead. I feel vindicated. Believe it or not, she wanted to see this. She loves video games movies...but doesn't really like video games. Go figure huh?

gvandale on
    Current Game(s) List: Disgaea 4 (PS3) & Dead Island (XBox 360)
    PSN Id: gvandale
    Xbox Live: Darth Vandale
  • Options
    Masked_MulletMasked_Mullet Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Can I ask why does shoot em up fail? it was a pretty badass movie just like Crank.

Masked_Mullet on
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Man what is wrong with you guys? Shoot 'Em Up and Crank are both awesome.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    LamoidLamoid Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh man, I just installed that max payne kung fu mod for the first time.
    So hard.
    There's always that one time where you slow-mo flying kick a guy, and that makes all the quick loading worthwhile.

Lamoid on
    Laymoid.gif
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    you should all stop lying to yourselves and admit that bulletproof monk is the best movie ever

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    For the record, Shoot Em Up is full of man made win.

I saw Max Payne last night. I don't know how it would have been to someone who hadn't played the games, but I kept getting frustrated at the story.

Personally, I believe that everyone involved in the movie, from the director to Wahlberg to the cinematographer did their job really well and honestly wanted to make the movie in some way faithful to the game. The only guy who didn't was the one who wrote the bloody script. It's as though he missed the point of Max Payne completely.

During one of the first scenes:
    Where we flash to the Subway station, my gamer friend and I just looked at each other and whispered "YES!" from excitement. I totally thought they were going to do the whole partner is dead/ subway bank robbery scene from the game. But no, it was some lame jewelry thief. There were actually quite a few points where I thought "Hey! They're about to get back on track to the actual plot now! But they never did.
    The ending, for example. When that helicopter got called to the roof, I thought "There's only one way they can do this." Then they didn't.

Also, what was up with the Aesir corp. owner woman? (I forget her name.) There was really no reason for her to be in the movie, as they never once made the direct connection that she was involved in the plot.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    you should all stop lying to yourselves and admit that bulletproof monk is the best movie ever

Fuck

You

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Supposedly I missed something after the credits, did anyone catch it?

Sceptre on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    here, although I need help on what the headline reads:
    Max walks into that cop bar that his old partner wanted him to go into before. its empty except the bartender.He asks for a beer, and the bartender gives him two, and nods over to a girl, who is mona. When he walks over to mona, she hands him a newspaper, which has that woman president of the company on the front page. they kind of look at it in turn. I cant tell what the front page said, but it was basicly showing that a drug was sucessful. But given the effects we have seen and only 1 in 100 are successful on V, it dosent make sense that they went ahead with sales of V. They kind of nod that it is now a target for them or something to that extent.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png