As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I've got $5 off used games coupons to Gamestop...

ThrustinJThrustinJ Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Games and Technology
...so what would you consider a must-have game in the $15-$30 range? (360/Wii/DS)

I'm looking at these games so far:
  • Lost Planet (I thought the demo was interesting)
  • Cooking Mama (is this good for my parents and nieces who love Wii bowling?)
  • Viva Piñata (less weed picking than Animal Crossing)
  • Rainbow 6: Vegas (or should I reset my lvl. 55 CoD 4 instead)
  • Burnout Revenge (oh sweet, sweet takedown!)

You all have any other opinions on good, mid-range used gems?

PS. I hate sports games and menu-based RPG games.

ThrustinJ on

• acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    R6V is good, but I'd pass on that since vegas 2 is out very soon so there probably won't be much of a community for V1. Also, V1 will be cheaper once V2 is out.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • wakeboarderbluntwakeboarderblunt Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    crackdown

wakeboarderblunt on
    stripessig.jpg
    WBblunt.gif
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    WARNING!!!! THE FOLLOWING ARE MY OPINIONS OF THE GAMES LISTED!!!:

Lost Planet was terrible.
    Cooking Mama is funny, but not worth the $$
    Viva Pinata is awesome! Like Animal Crossing and Harvest Moon mixed together!
    Never played R6:V or Burnout

=====

Crackdown is amazing, and should add that to the list (play the demo!). Dead Rising is also a must (demo out for that too!)

urahonky on
  • NicholasNicholas Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Burnout for sure, I wouldn't get Rainbow Six unless you plan on doing the campaign via online coop.

Nicholas on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Burnout Revenge is amazing. I like its focused approach far more than Paradise's open-world angle, and as an arcade racer it's amazingly tough to beat, especially given the price.

If you're in the mood for a brainless but awesome B-movie action game, go with Earth Defense Force 2017, which I've seen for $15 to $25 used. You won't be disappointed. (Music is overdubbed, disregard.)

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Mr PeepersMr Peepers Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Buy 12 Copies of Madden 01.

Cooking Mama is great. But buying I'm not sure if there's a way to reset the saved data, and half of the fun would be getting your own high scores and unlocking things on your own.

I found Viva Pinata a little disappointing, but I think I'm the minority there.

Mr Peepers on
  • ThrustinJThrustinJ Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I have crackdown. EDF looks interesting. I'll check out the reviews.

ThrustinJ on
    edited March 2008
    ThrustinJ wrote: »
    I have crackdown. EDF looks interesting. I'll check out the reviews.

I think the reviews for EDF were generally along the lines of "a game this technically bad has no right being so awesome." It's got all the trappings of a budget game (terrible voice acting, repetitive missions, shitty animations, massive clipping), but it's really fun. And not just in a "so bad it's good" way, in a "I'm mowing down thousands of giant ants and spiders and robots and spaceships and I'm laughing the whole time" way. There are a ton of collectible weapons to pick from, and you can get more health and armor pickups to gradually make your character stronger. It's got local co-op which is even more amazing, but no Live co-op, sadly.

I rented it from GameFly based off of forum buzz and decided to keep it the morning after I got it because it was so much fun.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Ramen NoodleRamen Noodle whoa, god has a picture of me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Oblivion.

Ramen Noodle on
    edited March 2008
    Mr Peepers wrote: »
    Buy 12 Copies of Madden 01.

Cooking Mama is great. But buying I'm not sure if there's a way to reset the saved data, and half of the fun would be getting your own high scores and unlocking things on your own.

I found Viva Pinata a little disappointing, but I think I'm the minority there.

"Saved data"? It's a cd man. There's no saved data on used games today, except maybe DS games.

ThrustinJ on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Second the Burnout Revenge suggestions. The load times in between races/events are a bit annoying, but other than that, it's a fantastic arcade racer.

RainbowDespair on
    edited March 2008
    After watching some reviews online and reading IGN, I'm going to get Earth Defence Force for $17 (before the $5 coupon) no doubt.

I'm glad I brought up this mid-range game question. I never would have considered this game before.

Let's keep this going.

ThrustinJ on
  • MisterGrokMisterGrok Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I would suggest Viva Pinata or EDF, they're great games, but I noticed something missing from your collection... DEAD RISING.

BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT

MisterGrok on
    GamerTag: aintnodancer
    edited March 2008
    Man. Do we have a release date for Dead Rising 2? IT BETTER HAVE CO-OP!!!!oneoneone!!

But seriously Dead Rising is the reason I own a 360, and I go back to it from time to time to restart my game.

urahonky on
    edited March 2008
    A friend has it. I just borrowed Ace Combat 6. When I finish that, I may ask him for Dead Rising.

But by that time Mario Kart will probably be out as well as GTA. :)

ThrustinJ on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    Man. Do we have a release date for Dead Rising 2? IT BETTER HAVE CO-OP!!!!oneoneone!

I don't remember where I read it, but I remember hearing a Capcom representative say that they were working on Dead Rising 2, but it's going to be on the backburner until RE5 is out. So maybe DR2 out for Christmas 2009?

RainbowDespair on
    edited March 2008
    D:D: That makes me sad. Although I can't complain if RE5 comes out... But DR2 makes my pants wet.

urahonky on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I've heard nothing good about Cooking Mama and there's lots of good (but some annoying bug) in Viva Pinata. I'd go with that next.

Magic Pink on
  • GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Viva Pinata was much more fun than I expected... I got every Achievement and still wanted to play more. I'm not even normally a fan of sandbox/sims style games either. Plus my wife loves just watching it, so that's always a plus. You can pick it up new for $20 pretty much anywhere, or like $12 with your coupon used.

Ganluan on
  • l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    After watching some reviews online and reading IGN, I'm going to get Earth Defence Force for $17 (before the $5 coupon) no doubt.

EDF! EDF!

I still don't see how people of reason can say that the voice acting in EDF is terrible. I just can't.
    But this was the best choice.

EDF! EDF!

My local EB is selling copies of Forza 2 for 19.99, but I think that almost everyone has a copy of that now since it's been bundled with the Premium model for awhile.

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
    edited March 2008
    Wow. EDF. On so many levels: Wow.

What a horrible game. I can't believe anyone let that thing out of the door. Did all the developers get sick and push the game out on their death beds?

That being said, I'm on level 10 and absolutely love the grenade launcher.

ThrustinJ on
  • OhioOhio Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    God, DO NOT GET EDF. That game is terrible. Don't believe the hype.

Ohio on
    edited March 2008
    Ohio wrote: »

Magenta'd for stupid. It's one of the best games on the 360.

Magic Pink on
    edited March 2008
    You're wrong. It's junk.

I had a friend come over who knew nothing about the game, had never heard of it. I'd already decided the single-player aspect of it was complete shit but I thought I'd try some co-op with him just to see if that would help.

We made it about 15 minutes, playing, without really saying much. I myself was having the time of my life. :|

Finally I said, "We can stop whenever you want." And he said, "Ok, now."

Worst 17.99 I've ever spent. Ever.

Ohio on
    edited March 2008
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Magenta'd for stupid. It's one of the best games on the 360.

I wouldn't say it's one of the best games on the system but it's great, mindless fun and well worth a budget price. If you can't take any ounce of pleasure out of dodge-rolling while blasting with a shotgun to take down dozens of flying spaceships, or shit your pants when 400 new ants come steamrolling over the hills and swarm straight for you, then your heart may be made of wood.

EDIT: I guess this makes me a member of the Earth Defense Force Defense Force?

Lunker on
    edited March 2008
    You're wrong. It's junk.

I had a friend come over who knew nothing about the game, had never heard of it. I'd already decided the single-player aspect of it was complete shit but I thought I'd try some co-op with him just to see if that would help.

We made it about 15 minutes, playing, without really saying much. I myself was having the time of my life. :|

Yeah, me and the 26 pages of people raving about the game in this thread:http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=17377 are "wrong". Not you and your friend. Everyone else.

You don't have to like the game. But it's still a great game.

Magic Pink on
  • CrazybearCrazybear Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You're wrong. It's junk.

Yeah, me and the 26 pages of people raving about the game in this thread:http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=17377 are "wrong". Not you and your friend. Everyone else.

You know, I haven’t played EDF so I can't comment on that. However, 26 pages of a thread on a forum does not a consensus make.

I am sure if I looked I could find a 26 page thread on some other forum saying this game is crap.

Crazybear on
    sig.gif
    edited March 2008
    Crazybear wrote: »
    You're wrong. It's junk.

You know, I haven’t played EDF so I can't comment on that. However, 26 pages of a thread on a forum does not a consensus make.

I am sure if I looked I could find a 26 page thread on some other forum saying this game is crap.

I'm not sure you could. The game is just so bland and forgettable that I don't think 26 pages' worth of people are going to bother voicing their complaints about it. Which is the reason I don't go into the thread here anymore and try to argue with the people that have, for some reason, convinced themselves that the game is good.

EDF isn't something like say Gears of War 2. That's a high profile game that if it turned out poorly, people would be up in arms.

Actually I did at one point post in that thread about how the game sucked and then didn't read too much more. No idea what page that was on.

To the people who like EDF, I'm glad for you. But calling it one of the best games on the system makes me wonder what other games you're playing (and what other games you're missing).

Ohio on
    edited March 2008
    Well, let's all get this straight...the game is utter crap. Graphics, controls, no auto-save, stupid voice acting, repetitive (the exact same) maps.

But understand that this game is fun on a fundamental level. Killing things and blowing up things. People who play this game aren't denying it's crapiness, they're just forced to enjoy the core value of the game. People might take all the crap as some sort of quirky cuteness, but it's the gameplay they are falling for. I paid $13 for it with one of my coupons. Sure there are better $13 games out there, but I like to sample the fruits, even if the have an unripened taste.

I've got three coupons left. I'm not going to get any more titles like this. Now I want to find some mid quality titles.

I have a year to use these, so it's not like I'm in any hurry.

ThrustinJ on
  • CrazybearCrazybear Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well, let's all get this straight...the game is utter crap. Graphics, controls, no auto-save, stupid voice acting, repetitive (the exact same) maps.

But understand that this game is fun on a fundamental level. Killing things and blowing up things. People who play this game aren't denying it's crapiness, they're just forced to enjoy the core value of the game. People might take all the crap as some sort of quirky cuteness, but it's the gameplay they are falling for. I paid $13 for it with one of my coupons. Sure there are better $13 games out there, but I like to sample the fruits, even if the have an unripened taste.

I've got three coupons left. I'm not going to get any more titles like this. Now I want to find some mid quality titles.

I have a year to use these, so it's not like I'm in any hurry.

But, but, but, if you didn't like it you must be stoooopid!

Anyway, I would check out Chromehounds, Saints Row, Prey, and Fight Night.

I still believe there is an online community for Chromehounds, I cashed in 200+ hours to that game and loved every second of it.

Crazybear on
    sig.gif
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    EDIT: Fuck me, I didn't notice it was a necro-bump by a spammer.

DarkPrimus on