As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DS roguelike] You have failed me PA. (SHIREN THE WANDERER)

• Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Szechuan wrote: »
    Hey guys. I'm late to the party but I just picked this up a few days ago. Haven't had any gear worth rescuing yet, but I've got a question about the couriers. I had a bad feeling about my most recent run, so I gave the courier a holding jar with my +10 mastersword and some other gear I wanted saved. He took it, but then when I died, none of my gear was in the 1st town! Does the courier only take items to town 2's storehouse?

The courier says where he's taking something before he does so.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Can someone rescue me? It's super early in the game, the first screen past Mountaintop Town, but as soon as I went in I was swarmed by monsters. I did however have a +4 Katana and +2 shield that seemed good....

Anyway, password is :

2H1BG N8HG 888QD
    WVFFD 2NRH LQYR5
    R4146 GC80 R042B
    XM4Y4 KH!4 C1C10

Edit: Assuming I am rescued, does it just plop me right back down surrounded by monsters, or put me in the village?

Done. You should be where you were, but with everything dead.
    Next time, though, mentioning the Monster House might be helpful :P

04P3W CDYM LJ6JV
    92!0P 2D!3 !LQQR
    9GGRP FC7L 2QNBT
    GLJYR X5Y0 VWS90

Xagarath on
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Funny story. I just finished rescuing 3 chumps at random spots in the game. Last one was pretty funny, a tiger uhoho threw me across the last level into the monster room where this guy died. I was transformed into a steel armour at the time. Despite it being full of the red hell reapoers, red skull mages and dragons, and despite a gaze forcing my maxed armour ward into a storehouse jar a few levels before, I had time to revert and consume an air devil meat. Fine, rescued, but back in canyon hamlet my fucking shield was nowhere to be seen. I don't even care, I have another +55 with all the good mods sitting in mountaintop town. I re-equip some gear, get another armband of sight which was changed into weeds (LAME) and finish cleaning up my inventory. I have a schubell meat, which I consume to get rid of, forgetting about the whole use-ability-on-consumption thing. Summoned a hell reaper, raped in 1 hit in canyon hamlet warehouse.

I lost my revival herb, firebrand+96, armband of happy, sight, about 10 uses of storehouse jars, 10 air devil meats, melding jar and a few more awesome things.

In fucking canyon hamlet warehouse.

I'm not gonna play for a little while. I guess it doesn't matter, the only dungeons left are the traps one and final dungeon, which I can't really be bothered with. It's still a funny and stupid way to die.

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SzechuanSzechuan Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So I thought I had this game beat. It was a sure thing. Except for some reason I thought that throwing my Staff of Paralysis [0] would let me use one last charge. The Tainted Insect raped me for my insolence. Serves me right for not using a healing item instead.

Lost a rustproof +15 masterword, and a +10 armor ward [w/ 1 hide shield meld]. Can't even get a rescue. D:

Szechuan on
  • Options
    InsanityInsanity Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So I thought I had this game beat. It was a sure thing. Except for some reason I thought that throwing my Staff of Paralysis [0] would let me use one last charge. The Tainted Insect raped me for my insolence. Serves me right for not using a healing item instead.

Lost a rustproof +15 masterword, and a +10 armor ward [w/ 1 hide shield meld]. Can't even get a rescue. D:

Throwing staves does work. Looks like you missed =/

Insanity on
    gBpkw.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Insanity wrote: »

Throwing staves does work. Looks like you missed =/

I didn't know they could. I thought it cast it one last time, a sort of THOU SHALL NOT PASS thing. Oh well. Now I know what to expect. :)

Szechuan on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    To be honest, the way this game screws you over in such unexpected ways is the entire reason we keep coming back to it, and you all know that.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    In other slightly less hard eastern themed roguelike news

Izuna 2 preorder bonus contest.

http://www.atlus.com/izuna2postervote.php

Choose which poster ends up in the Amazon.com edition of the game.

Not Safe for Work!

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Disco BanditDisco Bandit Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Can someone rescue me? It's super early in the game, the first screen past Mountaintop Town, but as soon as I went in I was swarmed by monsters. I did however have a +4 Katana and +2 shield that seemed good....

Anyway, password is :

2H1BG N8HG 888QD
    WVFFD 2NRH LQYR5
    R4146 GC80 R042B
    XM4Y4 KH!4 C1C10

Edit: Assuming I am rescued, does it just plop me right back down surrounded by monsters, or put me in the village?

04P3W CDYM LJ6JV
    92!0P 2D!3 !LQQR
    9GGRP FC7L 2QNBT
    GLJYR X5Y0 VWS90

Sorry. I assumed t was something special, but I didn't know it was called a monster house.

Disco Bandit on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5412 9146 7564
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Poor me needs a rescue. Don't want to spend even more time preparing for my next run at the Bug.
    ZQ0TF-XQ2W-882MR
    GJ2KD-HJFF-1WDXG
    P68NQ-HV2V-!NH56
    RQDX3-JC4Q-4J!00

Edit: It's not far in, mountaintop forest, I think level 6.

Szechuan on
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Piss easy rescue if anyone can be bothered, Ravine of the Dead level 5. I had a Mastersword+60, armour ward+55, 5 storehouse jar, 10 air devil meats, herb of revival, armband of sight etc.

I died to a tank in a monster house cause I ate a hell reaper meat instead of a freaking air devil meat by accident. FOOLISH! It seems the more invincible I am, the more likely I am to die all the time.

I can give you gifts of armband of sight, happiness, storehouse jars, blank scrolls, bufu knives, or an armour ward+55 with thieving, half hunger and rustless as gifts, since I'm going to Germany for 3 weeks soon.

It's on Wifi Connection, name is Dave under ravine of the dead.

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Anyway, password is :

2H1BG N8HG 888QD
    WVFFD 2NRH LQYR5
    R4146 GC80 R042B
    XM4Y4 KH!4 C1C10

04P3W CDYM LJ6JV
    92!0P 2D!3 !LQQR
    9GGRP FC7L 2QNBT
    GLJYR X5Y0 VWS90

Sorry. I assumed t was something special, but I didn't know it was called a monster house.
    Don't worry about it ^^
    It warns you when you first enter it, but it doesn't exactly show for long

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Poor me needs a rescue. Don't want to spend even more time preparing for my next run at the Bug.
    ZQ0TF-XQ2W-882MR
    GJ2KD-HJFF-1WDXG
    P68NQ-HV2V-!NH56
    RQDX3-JC4Q-4J!00

VWQ8C B79Z JJBDQ
    M9X6W LB9T 8BQXQ
    4KZVN 0DR7 VWQD3
    8!X14 6Q!F VQMC0

What killed you, incidentally? Firepuff? There seemed to be a lot of them about

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    ZQ0TF-XQ2W-882MR
    GJ2KD-HJFF-1WDXG
    P68NQ-HV2V-!NH56
    RQDX3-JC4Q-4J!00

VWQ8C B79Z JJBDQ
    M9X6W LB9T 8BQXQ
    4KZVN 0DR7 VWQD3
    8!X14 6Q!F VQMC0

Thanks for the rescue! Sorry I can't send anything right now - no Wifi access. A mage got promoted and one shot me. Didn't have a chance to see him coming.

Szechuan on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    ZQ0TF-XQ2W-882MR
    GJ2KD-HJFF-1WDXG
    P68NQ-HV2V-!NH56
    RQDX3-JC4Q-4J!00

VWQ8C B79Z JJBDQ
    M9X6W LB9T 8BQXQ
    4KZVN 0DR7 VWQD3
    8!X14 6Q!F VQMC0

Thanks for the rescue! Sorry I can't send anything right now - no Wifi access. A mage got promoted and one shot me. Didn't have a chance to see him coming.
    Don't worry about it- I don't have access myself, come to that :P

Xagarath on
  • Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Mugenmidget, your favorite Penny Arcade poster (HEH), needs a Shiren-sized rescue!

Here's a Wi-Fi code: 0000-0000-7068

I really have to convince some of my goddamned friends to get this game.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    ChalkbotChalkbot Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh, man, really? I need this game! First I need a DS....

Chalkbot on
  • Options
    ScrabbleDudeScrabbleDude Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Just picked this up since I had some EB credit kicking around. (I didn't really need another game that will take me 100 hours though.)

I was thinking this game was pretty easy and you guys must be a bunch of pussies.

Then some dude in a village took the jar of holding I had just put my Medicinal Herbs in and smashed it against a wall. Of course there isn't a store in this town. What an asshole. Oh well, I figure I'll continue on my merry way. Then I run into an enemy called a spike bomb. Whatever, I've got a Katana+2. This guy's ass is mine. I hit him a couple times and he turns red. I figure I better kill him before he blows up. Looks like I didn't kill him fast enough and he knocks me to 1 hp. I use the only Restorative Herb I've got, I'm now out of healing items. I run into another spike bomb. He turns red again, so I figure this time I'll kill him. NOPE. Down to 1 hp again. Then a skeleton dude hit me and I died.

Bastard. I've got a rescue up now if anyone can help me out. I'm on the second floor of this dungeon and there's two skeleton dudes near me. Wi-Fi code is 0000-0000-7173.

ScrabbleDude on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Spike bombs are tricky. If they turn red, then they're going to explode when they die, and the only thing you can do is walk away (which, to be fair, isn't hard)
    The only way to kill them is to do enough damage that they don't turn red in the first place.

The jar-smashing, however, you will find to be helpful in the long run. I'd recommend going to talk to the guy again each time you pass through.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    ScrabbleDudeScrabbleDude Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    And the grammar kinda bugs me. The guy said, "Do you mind if I call you brother?" I said no. As in, "No, I don't mind." And it took it to mean I didn't want him calling me his brother.

ScrabbleDude on
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Spike bombs are tricky. If they turn red, then they're going to explode when they die, and the only thing you can do is walk away (which, to be fair, isn't hard)
    The only way to kill them is to do enough damage that they don't turn red in the first place.

Deal enough damage to a red spike bomb at it'll fade away like normal monster.

In other news. Finally beat that damn kitchen god dungeon, now I just need to meld my Bufu knife into my main gear and I can attempt the ravine of the dead, or possibly the tainted path.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I don't see a thread about it, so I figured I'd mention it in the most closely relevant thread, but it looks like 1up liked the Wii Chocobo Dungeon.
    http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3168523&p=44

Anyone planning on getting it, or already have a copy? I'm kind of confused on how the job setup works.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    METAzraeL wrote: »
    I don't see a thread about it, so I figured I'd mention it in the most closely relevant thread, but it looks like 1up liked the Wii Chocobo Dungeon.
    http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3168523&p=44

Anyone planning on getting it, or already have a copy? I'm kind of confused on how the job setup works.

Nice, definitely gonna have to keep an eye out for that.

edit: IGN has a review of it as well, they seemed to enjoy it too and gave it an 8.4

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

The jar-smashing, however, you will find to be helpful in the long run. I'd recommend going to talk to the guy again each time you pass through.

When they turn red, you can walk a few steps away and then shoot an arrow at them to blow them up. It'll kill any other monsters that are close, too.

elevature on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Idiotsville, Population: Me

So I thougt I'd have a crack at the tainted path. I got all my good shit together, great staffs, great meat, great scrolls, loads of chiro jars, my good gear. I set some ground rules, so real conservative play choices.

I get to the phantom trials and suddenly I disregard all my own advice. I transform into a metal armour come up against a skull wraith who fucks with me, instead of reverting back and using any of my 50 billion kill skull wraith instantly items I decided to just wail on him normally, then a piggy turns up and by the time I deal with the skull wraith I'm a slowed, confused, sealed riceball.

I feel so totally stupid, all my good gear is there, I desperately need a rescue otherwise I think I might cry :x
    YMJCV 3H8V F8QV8
    8X0R4 VSKT 6Q00B
    M7DD5 1RWW 6K6HS
    2J5ZZ 4P!V KT!30

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

• Options
    edited July 2008
    I assume everyone is on their summer holidays then?

Alistair Hutton on

• Options
    edited July 2008
    I would give it a try, but I'm not able to do Tainted Path rescues yet.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    AoeberskullAoeberskull Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ill make an attempt to rescue you Allistair, just hang in there. Finally an excuse to try out my + 55 mastersword of the rapist.

Aoeberskull on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

I'm not actually at the tainted path yet, I died on my way there! Floor 27 I think.

EDIT: Uberskull, if you need any Elite Beat Agent style cheer-leading then I'm just a hotline emergency call away.

Alistair Hutton on

• Options
    edited July 2008

I'm not actually at the tainted path yet, I died on my way there! Floor 27 I think.

EDIT: Uberskull, if you need any Elite Beat Agent style cheer-leading then I'm just a hotline emergency call away.

All done. Its amazing how air devil meat can get you out of almost anything, it really feels like cheating of sorts. Here is your revival spell:
    2ZLPT 318C MJ0L9
    599SM N936 8LLY0
    ZV3RJ HC9X WYG!Z
    YM1CM CTVG 463C0

Good luck with the rest, youll need it in the tainted path 8-)

Aoeberskull on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Überskull wrote: »

All done. Its amazing how air devil meat can get you out of almost anything, it really feels like cheating of sorts. Here is your revival spell:
    2ZLPT 318C MJ0L9
    599SM N936 8LLY0
    ZV3RJ HC9X WYG!Z
    YM1CM CTVG 463C0

Good luck with the rest, youll need it in the tainted path 8-)

I am weeping tears of joy just now
    Thank you note
    QB7QH VTCM Z0FHW
    KMNT2 9M12 PJYWC
    SCMYM J7NQ C4701
    500YJ 1BTH NZ600

EDIT: 9999 Experience per tainted soldier killed - Sweeeeeeeeet!

Alistair Hutton on

• Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So I've just been playing this and Nethack alot. Hell of alot of fun.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I was tearing through the tainted path up until the point I accidentally put by +50 Firebrand into a frikin Jar of Change. I am so screwed!

EDIT: Yup, screwed, going from a +50 Firebrand to a -4 Mastersword is a bit of a jump. Had to start burning items and altough I made it another 20 or so floors down eventually I was ambushed by a trio of Demon Wraiths and was thoroughly sleep+riceballed+level-downed to death.

Alistair Hutton on

• Options
    Great Uncle BaalGreat Uncle Baal Registered User new member
    edited July 2008
    Just a quick heads up for UK gamers - GAME are selling this in-store and online for £4.99 - saw it in a store today and at that price I couldn't resist. I'm enjoying the game so far, and I seem to have a good knack for dying already...

Great Uncle Baal on
  • Options
    samwysesamwyse Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Rescue request, anyone?

Wi-Fi code 0000-0000-7554

Cave Mtn. Spirits 14F. I've got a Master Sword+24 (plated, extra damage against drain monster, something else, not razor wind), Armor Ward+14 (plated, walrus, slow hunger), a Happy Armband, and some other stuff.

A couple of levels up, I descended into one of those big monster rooms that occupy the entire floor. One blastwave killed just about everything, but I couldn't carry all of the gear I found. So to free up slots, I ate all of my medicinal herbs, restorative herbs, and herbs of life, then put everything in my jars of holding on the floor and set out to grab the loot. And I stupidly fell into pit trap. Goodbye, everything that wasn't equipped. And a couple of floor later, I ran into another monster room without a blastwave scroll, and I got killed by an oldster tank and a few infernos. I hate losing both the sword and the shield, so I'll give either to anyone who rescues me. Thanks.

samwyse on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Alright, here is a mighty rescue attempt for you guys, Fays final puzzle on floor 23. I was doing quite awesome, as I found quite an early armband of happiness along with a bufu staff and a strengthening jar coupled with a couple of extraction scroll, good times.

Of course the game decided to punish me for my cockiness : (

Got teleported via a trap into a wide monster room, filled with gazers chainheads and curse sis. Should be relatively easy with my +12 mastersword of cyclops killing right?

Nope, off the screen I hear one of them tanks firing at me and starts to vaporize every enemy in sight. Damn I hate those. Before I could do pretty much anything he evolves into a cranky tank and blows me to bits.

This is quite a lucrative rescue methinks. A relatively early drain room (around level 4 I think, located in the middle right on the floor) nets quite good lewt, including the aformentioned bufu staff. A lot of jars can also be found on the earlier levels so ID them at your leisure, one of them should be a strengthening jar. Use the shops to aid you with that. Early strengthening jar + bufu staff = awesomeness = )

Here is the rescue code:
    L!W2Z H8DR B8J70
    GKQ8Q 2LQ! ZWSPS
    80!FS 7MD8 WB3!M
    9M29Y 0DB1 KQQ30

Good luck!

Aoeberskull on
  • Options
    A BearA Bear Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I have got to get back into this game.

Or rather, I have to stop sucking horribly at it. I should be back in shape shortly, you all will be hearing me beg for rescues in no time.

A Bear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    samwysesamwyse Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Despite years of experience with Nethack, I sucked horribly for months. Then I decided to stop being noble and read the Shiren wiki at Wet Paint. There I found out a crucial detail of game play that I'd somehow missed (no, I won't say what, it's too embarrassing) and a few days later I've got a horribly overpowered sword and shield and am melding staves to prepare for my big assault.

samwyse on
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    samwyse wrote: »
    There I found out a crucial detail of game play that I'd somehow missed (no, I won't say what, it's too embarrassing) and a few days later I've got a horribly overpowered sword and shield and am melding staves to prepare for my big assault.

Oh, you will feel so good and so boastful as you slay down the mighty opponents .... that is, until you make one simple mistake that will ruin all your precious equipments.

HAhaHAHAhaHaahAHAhaHAHA!

I did that twice and now I got so pissed off I stopped playing Shiren. :cry:

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    rhainingrhaining Registered User new member
    edited July 2008
    I'm looking for a champion, a real expert, someone who can do the impossible. Have I come to the right place?

Who can rescue me from the south pole?

Long story short, I've died intentionally on 99F of Final Puzzle, sacrificing my game for the greater good of future generations. I took precautions, of course, sending the most important items back to my warehouse. Still, I'd hate to sacrifice all the other great gear I've acquired. Plus, I'm really curious if anyone is capable of doing a rescue on 99F and what rewards the game would give them for succeeding. :^)

My Nintendo WFC rescue request number is:
    0000-0000-7601

My rescue request password is:
    XX4BH L2!2 98XMG
    DGNBH 49WQ H0K!P
    !ZP3D HZ06 ZWZ!9
    WPT1L YPXY P4Z10

Details about why I did this (SPOILERS):
    http://shiren.wetpaint.com/page/Get+an+Herb+of+Invisibility
    http://shiren.wetpaint.com/page/Rescue+Passwords+for+Items

Amusing anecdotes of this particular descent (SPOILERS):
    http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=925583&topic=44289105