As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DS roguelike] You have failed me PA. (SHIREN THE WANDERER)

• Options
    VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Here's my friend code 2105 - 8467 - 8717

Varega on
    League of Legends:Varega
  • Options
    OctobotOctobot Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well consider me sold on the game, i am going to pick it up tommorow. Hope to be aiding in/requesting rescues soon!

Octobot on
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Is there a warehouse or courier or something in the second town? I found an awesome sword, and had it upgraded at the blacksmith, and I want to warehouse it for my next run so I can upgrade it again. Do I have to walk back to the first town?

elevature on
  • Options
    PjstelfordPjstelford Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    A Bear wrote: »
    I just killed the dog :(

With a riceball :(:(:(

I did that too just now. Mutt wanted a riceball, mutt got a riceball.

Pjstelford on
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    elevature wrote: »
    Is there a warehouse or courier or something in the second town? I found an awesome sword, and had it upgraded at the blacksmith, and I want to warehouse it for my next run so I can upgrade it again. Do I have to walk back to the first town?

No, dont do that.. instead go to the next town. there is a warehouse there.
    If you return to the 1st town, you lose your level.

edit - just level

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    DeswaDeswa Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    There is a warehouse in the 2nd town, but the warehouses are not linked together. You can take anything back to the starting town. Only your stats reset and party.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
    "It ain't rape, it's surprise sex!"
    wii : 3788 3264 2419 8070
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Pjstelford wrote: »

Theres a little girl that complains she's blind... throw a sight herb at her.

Dont use a scroll of light
    Dont use a herb of restore
    Dont use a herb of medical
    and you probably shoudnt use a dragon herb.

Mighty on
  • Options
    A BearA Bear Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Mighty wrote: »

Theres a little girl that complains she's blind... throw a sight herb at her.

Dont use a scroll of light
    Dont use a herb of restore
    Dont use a herb of medical
    and you probably shoudnt use a dragon herb.

Scroll of Genocide.

A Bear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I'm not really sure if this game is for me. It sounded pretty awesome, but restarting all the time is feeling like a chore and not a game. I've never played a roguelike before, maybe they're not my thing. I'll try it for another day or two and if it's not getting any better I think I'm trading it in.

With that said, anyone up for a rescue so I can keep that sword I found?

Password:
    3X4Z6 FW77 98XLQ
    3N!SK !T2! NK8V3
    XQDZR K6Z4 C0786
    QZKM9 24JR 37520

FC:
    2793 0416 2398

I died on floor 8 to one of those exploding spike things. There was another monster beside me but I didn't see what it was before I got blown up.
    Thanks in advance.

elevature on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I'm not really sure if this game is for me. It sounded pretty awesome, but restarting all the time is feeling like a chore and not a game. I've never played a roguelike before, maybe they're not my thing. I'll try it for another day or two and if it's not getting any better I think I'm trading it in.

With that said, anyone up for a rescue so I can keep that sword I found?

Password:
    3X4Z6 FW77 98XLQ
    3N!SK !T2! NK8V3
    XQDZR K6Z4 C0786
    QZKM9 24JR 37520

FC:
    2793 0416 2398

I died on floor 8 to one of those exploding spike things. There was another monster beside me but I didn't see what it was before I got blown up.
    Thanks in advance.
    i'll break the vase!
    1711C 0XHY RJNRY
    QLD49 R2K5 PL4XF
    JRW0L 27YK P56LY
    0VLXF 1LZM HHJB0

there was SO much crap laying about.. i could not carry it all.. made me very sad..
    Also.. i didnt know saving you made me leave the area asap. i wanted to try to stuff more crap in my bags.

Ps. When i got there... your "monster house" was FULL of the spike bombs.. i bet i lost 1/2 of the items in there to the resulting chain reaction.
    but it saved my sorry ass. :^:

Mighty on
  • Options
    PjstelfordPjstelford Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    How does this game compare with the pokemon mystery dungeon games? I'm really enjoying it, and seeing as how a new batch of poke mystery dungeon games are coming out, I might be persuaded to give them a go.

Pjstelford on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ouch, I just attempted to randomly rescue someone online, after 2 failed attempts starting with no weapon and starting floor 1 with 4 enemies nearby, I ran Fay's Puzzles a few times to get some starting items and setoff on the way to Floor 8, not too bad I think, until I get to the 6th floor and run into two evil soldiers, whose spirits proceed to get a Rice Master on my ass... Tried my scroll of sleep and hitting it but I was only doing 1 damage a hit on that thing and proceeded to get turned into a riceball and then stepped on.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Wow, this topic is starting to pick up. Excellent.
    Deswa wrote: »
    I had a Armor ward + 9 before I died...

It was rough, but Mr Blarney is saved.

Oh, thanks! You're a lifesaver! :P

But you didn't need to leave an item... now I have two pots full of riceballs. I feel kind of bad since I don't have anything else in the warehouse as nice to give back to you.

EDIT: And so did my journey end on floor 27, when Shiren entered the first of the Three Trials to end up in a sealed status condition and unable to read any emergency scrolls, while surrounded by many enemies.

:( I think the dog only tells you about riceballs and weeds to let you know that consuming them heals a very small amount of your hunger: riceballs aren't the only way to get sustenance.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    DAMNIT! I need a rescue.
    20th floor. I have a Armor Ward + 6, a Katana+7, I'm level 22, and I'm wrecking everything. I'm hunting down monsters Moms to tell them they need a rescue. I have 6 jars of holding. 3 Chiropractic jars. There's no way I can lose, right?

Fucking 3 Chainheads. I read a sleep scroll, they all go to sleep. I attack the first one, miss. Attack again, hit. I finish him off, and the other two wake up. With increased speed. Not a big deal, I read another sleep scroll. Apparently, if you do this, they must only sleep for half as long, because my guy missed AGAIN, hit once, MISSED, and they woke up. EXTREMELY pissed off. I attack, and kill one, and the other decides to hit me for around 34 damage 3 times in a row.

Code is 0000-0000-1668

Varega on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I'll try and get you after my first class varega. Kinda funny that you died with 3 Chiropractic jars though.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
  • Options
    dopplexdopplex Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This game is addictive...

Getting partners helps a LOT though.

Just hit Mountain Top, have the masseuse with me, and a +1 Armor Ward. Unfortunately, I haven't seen a single weapon yet (I need to remember to stick excess weapons in the warehouse the next time I have a weapon-flush run. Of course, I've run into a wandering blacksmith... without a single weapon in my pack)

Best weapon I've had so far was a +3 Katana, but it ended badly. I was in the area just past the mines, and the first room had 3 tanks in it. I had both the Masseuse and the blinding girl with me, so I wasn't directly worried... Until one of the tanks finished off one of the others with its splash damage, leveling up. And then took out the other tank, leveling up again. So down I went to (what I think) was a grandpappy tank by that point (it shot twice per turn...) I had a chiropractic jar too - but the tank did so much damage that it wiped me out in its double move right after I used the jar.

Thought about asking for a rescue to save that Katana, but ended up just restarting.

I have a nice stock of Air Bless scrolls in the starter town waiting for the proper weapon to show up, too.

EDIT: And like that, found myself a +1 Katana, blacksmithed it twice, used my Air Bless scrolls and now have a +7 Katana waiting in the first town warehouse for a future run. Question: Once I get a melding pot, will melding my Armor Guard with a Hide Shield cancel out the hunger increasing effect on the Armor Guard?

Having a blast. I think my girlfriend is feeling abandoned because I've been playing this instead of helping her with Crystal Chronicles the past day or so :-P

dopplex on
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I just bought this and I discover gamestop has put the pricetag under the plastic sleeve of the game, on the actual insert. Terrific.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    LordGekLordGek Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    How does this game compare with the pokemon mystery dungeon games? I'm really enjoying it, and seeing as how a new batch of poke mystery dungeon games are coming out, I might be persuaded to give them a go.

I give big props to the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (PMD) games for being clever hybrids of seemingly incompatible genres of RPGs. They keep most of the items and mechanics of the Mystery Dungeon games while at the same time having all of the 425+ pokemon complete with all of their special attacks and what not.

BUT...as technically clever as this hybrid is, I have to say it doesn't do a lot for me for a few reasons.
    -No item buildup:
    Actually in PMD2 that isn't completely true, you can fuse very specific items together to make some bigger badder gear, but its nowhere near as open ended as the other Mystery Dungeon games' merging systems.
    -No unidentified/identified mechanic:
    Every item you find in the PMD games is nice and clearly IDed from the get go and there aren't really any bad/cursed items to therefore worry about.
    -Persistent character levels:
    While there are some special "reset your pokemon to level 1" dungeons at the end, for the most part there is no level reseting which I, in my sick mind, love in the other Mystery Dungeon games as it keeps trudging through old dungeons again fresh. Sure in PMD it will be randomly generated each go but being some 30th level pokemon going through a dungeon suited for 5th level creatures just to capture some specific guy for your menagerie is pretty sad. Also the few dungeons that DO reset your level to 1 don't work well in the pokemon world where many of the pokemon don't get their cooler powers until they hit their 30-50th level and you'd be lucky to level up a pokemon past the high 20's in even a 99 level dungeon of this sort.
    -Boring battles:
    In other MD games like Shiren or Torneko most battles were fairly quick, but in PMD you'll almost never get to do any 1 hit kills unless you really out level your opponent.
    -It often got tedious:
    Maybe the most subjective aspect that the designers may have somehow addressed in this sequel but I often found the dungeon runs very tedious and not that challenging other than maybe the boss fights. There was little incentive to explore the levels as your best bet was usually to save up your limited attacks for the big boss guy at the bottom and otherwise just dive through the levels (that rarely seem to get that much more significantly difficult for your party).

LordGek on
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    marking this tread for when i get home.

im not going to remember this if i dont. =/

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Varega wrote: »
    DAMNIT! I need a rescue.
    20th floor. I have a Armor Ward + 6, a Katana+7, I'm level 22, and I'm wrecking everything. I'm hunting down monsters Moms to tell them they need a rescue. I have 6 jars of holding. 3 Chiropractic jars. There's no way I can lose, right?

Fucking 3 Chainheads. I read a sleep scroll, they all go to sleep. I attack the first one, miss. Attack again, hit. I finish him off, and the other two wake up. With increased speed. Not a big deal, I read another sleep scroll. Apparently, if you do this, they must only sleep for half as long, because my guy missed AGAIN, hit once, MISSED, and they woke up. EXTREMELY pissed off. I attack, and kill one, and the other decides to hit me for around 34 damage 3 times in a row.

Code is 0000-0000-1668
    Sleep scrolls are the first thing i put into a change jar. confusion scroll, blastwave, paralyze, need. ANY of these scrolls are FAR batter.

Tl:dR

Fuck sleep scrolls.

Mighty on
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Great game, not as hard as nethack but a great balance of Graphics, fun and difficulty. Got to roughly 20ish on my second play. Some special plated great katana, lots of healing items, scrolls, good xp for my level (thanks to a stupid tank leveling up off of my masseuse). Then... I take one step into my second monster house... which sets off a sleep trap. I spend the next 3 rounds getting pummeled and die. Pretty sure I had two blastwave scrolls too.

I think my favorite encounter so far was using knockback on a monster that sent him flying down the corridor. Thinking myself really clever, I used a switchstaff... and ended up near 3 chain guys. Ended up using my dragon herbs to clear that.

solsovly on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Slight set back, forgot my school doesnt have wifi that my DS can pick up on. Wont be able to help you out Varega.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Ok, password
    8DF3G 3CMS G8J8!
    655N5 84Q6 !WC6M
    XHLHV ZQ5S 5JXV8
    ZFMST !S!X 62P30

Varega on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Okay, I'll try and save you. Small downside, I just lost my Mastersword + 9 to "cleverness". I thought a pickaxe + my sword in a melding jar would be awesome, do not do this. Two wacks into a wall and I lost my sword...

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Okay, I'll try and save you. Small downside, I just lost my Mastersword + 9 to "cleverness". I thought a pickaxe + my sword in a melding jar would be awesome, do not do this. Two wacks into a wall and I lost my sword...
    you seem to have forgotten the downside of pickaxes.... they break.

Right now i have an air cleaver
    Cudgel +2
    Katana +3

Gold shield
    Hide shield
    Walrus shield
    Bronzeward +1 X2

I'm going to make the ultimate sword.. Does extra damage to air, will swipe 3 diffrent ways, kills ghosts, exploders, ect... i just need more of those specialty weapons. i already got a master sword +11

As for the shield... its gonna be immune to everything.

Mighty on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I was hoping that wouldnt carry over because swords do not break.

On my way Varega.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    password for saved Varega:
    TH9WQ 277Y KJ26M
    9W29G 5090 3TDQ0
    03Q0J 1L69 ZQFG8
    BV2GH PJMX FMH80

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Hey i figure i'd let you guys know, that if you swing your sword where you plan to go, it reveals the trap on that tile...

so if you are in a monster house... swing away!

Ugh! i got a great hall monster house my last floor!

I hit a freaking rust trap+ poison trap. i HATE rust traps.

Mighty on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Thanks Des. I ended up getting raped early on, after some bad luck ( 2 rust traps and a leech monster). Made it to level 26 though.

Varega on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Just use a plating scroll, they are permenantly applied. You have to get lucky and find a antidrain armband. I use that and an exp band.

Do I hold the record for farthest in? 27

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
  • Options
    inthegrayinthegray Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Just use a plating scroll, they are permenantly applied. You have to get lucky and find a antidrain armband. I use that and an exp band.

Do I hold the record for farthest in? 27

i've been up to 30. died at the hands of the boss, though. D:

inthegray on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    So - is there a way to sell my extra items or am I better off just using them as projectiles?

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    MusanMusan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    In the store, drop items and talk to the shopkeeper.

Farthest I got in is around 24 or thereabouts.

Musan on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    So - is there a way to sell my extra items or am I better off just using them as projectiles?

It really depends on the item. If you have a staff with 0 charge... throw it. the staff itself is a charge.

Shields and Weapons with Neat effects (like gold shields non rusting or the Ghost killer scythe) Should NOT be sold. keep them in a storehouse. there's a jar that will combine them.

Extra jars bring good money if you don't want them, but i haven't yet encountered a jar i didn't like.

Items like scrolls are pretty darn useful... except the sleep scroll. screw them getting up 2x faster.

Mighty on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Woo, first death. A dead soldier leveled up another one and turned a rice guy into a rice boss - I opted to flee instead of fight, but stepped on a slow trap, then it turned me into a riceball and then killed me.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    God dammit, I must have saved wrong, I lost all my inventory...

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    What happens if you turn the game off without saving? Does it revert to your previous save or do you just start over with a completely new game? I know it autosaves if you die, but if you can turn it off when you know you're about to die and revert to your last save you can cheat the system.

Which is no fun, but I'm curious.

elevature on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    If you dont save it "corrupts" your save file and you lose your inventory and wind up in an inn.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    So much for that idea.

elevature on
  • Options
    Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So much for that idea.

You can't really cheat the system as far as I know but if you do "accidentally" turn of your game without saving, your wanderer will start back at the Canyon Hamlet just like a result from a death. You'll still retain your storage items and all the quest/npc progress you've made.

Question on the "Melding Jar"

since the one you can get from the master potter is a (5)

Does that mean the 1st base item will be able to absorb the stats of 4 other items?

Example:

plated Arm Ward (3) shield as base
    + Hide Shield + Bronzeward shield (3) + Wood Shield (1) + Iron Shield (1) = Arm Ward (9) w/ hunger modifier and rust resistant plating

Also, is there any point to meld something with a gold item instead of using the plating scroll unless the gold item had a stat buff already (to achieve rust resistance)?

Thanks!

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png