As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Three wishes

• Options
    Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    That's why you use all your time to design and build a veritable army of LoveBots.

Grid System on
  • Options
    Vrtra TheoryVrtra Theory Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    PS To all the people wishing for Immortality, I think the phrase you want is Eternal Youth...otherwise you're going to be regretting it for [sideways 8] years in the nursing home.

Honestly, you people just don't plan ahead at all! You should be prepared for shit like this!

Well, I think if most of us actually ended up making any of these wishes, it would look like a page of Nomic before you were done thinking about it. But Immortality seems like an acceptable shorthand.

Vrtra Theory on
    Are you a Software Engineer living in Seattle? HBO is hiring, message me.
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Can I just wish to be Q and give the last two away?

chamberlain on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

But then someone could wish you to not be Q but that species that talks in stories.

"Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra!"

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Kagera wrote: »

But then someone could wish you to not be Q but that species that talks in stories.

"Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra!"

Damnit!

I just want to stand on a star and watch sun spots form, coast across the event horizon of a super massive black hole, torment lesser species.

You know, fun stuff.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2008
    I'd wish for a modest amount of money, first. Like a million bucks, or so. Not enough to be Hilton-rich, but enough to pay off a decent house outright, put a wad in savings for retirement and my children's future education, and buy a few toys.

Then some amalgam of awesome super-powers. Invisibility, flight, telekinesis. Fun shit like that.

I'd hold on to the third wish for safe keeping, in case I needed to undo something, or if something came up.

I like the idea of wishing to make the world better, but I recognize that all manner of nasty side-effects could come from even the most well-phrased large-scale wish. Nobody dies except for natural causes? Well, we wind up with global over-population and everyone contracts ebola, or something. An end to starvation? All those previously hungry nations suddenly get power-hungry and start blowing each other up. Any such wish would just as likely make things worse as make them better. If I was going to wish along these lines, I would probably try to game it, like so:

"I wish for whatever would make me most likely to say, if were to look back on this moment from a thousand years in the future, 'Wow, I'm so glad I made that wish.'" Basically wish for whatever I would wish for were I able to pre-emptively judge the short- and long-term ramifications of every possible altruistic wish. If that wasn't possible, I would leave well-enough alone.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Just as a heads up, pretty much everyone in this thread would have their wishes undone and then be torn asunder by their genie. I mean, I personally wouldn't take any chances and I'd spend my third wish sealing the genie back in the bottle. Assuming I found a genie, and the first two wishes actually happened, I'm not going to flip the genie myths the bird and hope that all that stuff about them being malicious beings of pure evil that will turn on their masters in a moment's notice was just made up or something.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Fuck you, my genie is Robin Williams.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Space CoyoteSpace Coyote Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    My first wish would be for wisdom. I'd decide the other two once that had been settled.

Space Coyote on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »

I'm just saying I aint taking any chances.

Space Coyote: Clever, clever.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

My genie is Jeannie

"Yes master" indeed!

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Space Coyote :^:
    2. My own guaranteed financial stability for the rest of my life. (purely selfish, but think of all the worries that immediately gets rid of).
    Not at all, being free from worry is a huge advantage. I like to think I'd be an awesome millionaire. No blowing it on flashy crap or using to leverage (too much :P ) political power. I'd likely still live as modestly as ever. Hell, I'd still finish school, and probably do better without having to constantly worry.
    ElJeffe wrote:
    I like the idea of wishing to make the world better, but I recognize that all manner of nasty side-effects could come from even the most well-phrased large-scale wish.
    I'd wish for the power to intimidate and brow-beat world leaders into doing the right thing, rather than any single catch-all solution. I'd be like a motivational speaker, but not so much motivational as abusive and hurtful.

Of course, unlike "world peace!", it all relies on me not being a jerk. I know I'm not, but maybe as a show of good faith I'll let someone else do it instead.

Huh, I also seem to have completely contradicted my objectives for my first wish.

Third wish? Reverse entropy and the Second Law of Thermodynamics or some such. I have a feeling I'm really pushing the "nasty side-effects" envelope here.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Man, everybody keeps ignoring the fucking OP where he said the genie had no malicious intent.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    1) The ability to walk through walls

2) Peaceful and meaningful first contact with extraterrestrial life forms (I'm ready for the future, and this seems to be the best way to usher it in. It could also lead to world peace, longer lifespans, etc.)

3) The Genie's freedom, so we could be BFF's and have our own sitcom on ABC

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Man, everybody keeps ignoring the fucking OP where he said the genie had no malicious intent.
    Ah, no malicious intent, yet . . .
    Goethe wrote:
    Misunderstandings and neglect occasion more mischief in the world than even malice and wickedness. At all events, the two latter are of less frequent occurrence.
    It never hurts to be safe.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    SolandraSolandra Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm just going to be selfish all the way around.

1) My dog will live in good health and without ill effects of aging until I myself die. Even if he does hog the bed.
    2) A child who does good for the world.
    3) Slightly more than modest wealth that scales up over time with the cost of living and inflation.

Solandra on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    Ah, no malicious intent, yet . . .
    Goethe wrote:
    Misunderstandings and neglect occasion more mischief in the world than even malice and wickedness. At all events, the two latter are of less frequent occurrence.
    It never hurts to be safe.

I'll grant you the whole malice vs. stupidity thing, but what I'm talking about are posts like
    Just as a heads up, pretty much everyone in this thread would have their wishes undone and then be torn asunder by their genie. I mean, I personally wouldn't take any chances and I'd spend my third wish sealing the genie back in the bottle. Assuming I found a genie, and the first two wishes actually happened, I'm not going to flip the genie myths the bird and hope that all that stuff about them being malicious beings of pure evil that will turn on their masters in a moment's notice was just made up or something.

There were a few others that could have been read either as malicious genie loopholing, or accidental "you made a dumb, really poorly worded wish" type stuff. But this one was just egregious OP ignoring.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'd also want a Holodeck from Star Trek. Those things are awesome.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    1) The ability to learn anything just from observation. This'd be great for learning languages, instruments, computer skill, bow-staff skills, and other skills. Plus if you fuckers get your teleportation and flying skills on I can copy 'em.

2) Wisdom/Knowledge/Intelligence. I'm taking a page from Solomon, but think of the possibilities. You could stop wars and famines from your wisdom alone, as well as use it for more selfish reasons. :)

3) I'd sit on and see what I could do after a year or two of learning all those skills. If forced, I'd probably go with teleportation. :)

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    1. Perfect knowledge of the workings of the universe, both general laws and specific instances (ie universal physical laws and medical understanding.)

After that, it's tough to say what will be necessary, but if I had to guess...

2. A safe, reliable, manageable source of unlimited energy. Required to be able to be carried on my person and provide all of the power needs of all intelligent life at the same time.

3. Eternal physical youth and health, including invulnerability.

Tarantio on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I think an intelligent human race can solve any other problems on it's own.

Ha!

Have you ever been near academia?

See my first wish. I'm sure mental perfection would allow us to put aside petty politicking and personal rivalries.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    real_pochaccoreal_pochacco Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    1) The ability to look at the world from another person's perspective. Basically, you see what they see, feel what they feel, think what they think. Also, I would want to someone else to be able to do the same to me.

2) An machine that would create unlimited supplies of energy using just hydrogen fuel (go fusion!) and all the necessary infrastructure to get this energy to everywhere where it would need to go. Part of this my wish would also be that no company would have a patent on the machine or anything related to it.

3) Living as long as I wanted to, being whatever age I wanted to

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I wouldn't want to wish for anything that would remove the challenge from life. Half the reward of, say, learning a language is the payoff from all the work you put into it. That's why I wouldn't wish to be super-rich - I'd just want enough money to remove most of the financial stress from my life. If I want to be super-rich, I still have to earn it.

I suppose one thing on my short list desires would be the capital to start up a game-development company with a good staff of competent employees. The industry really isn't designed such that simply having good ideas and the talent to convert them into a game will result in anything. Maybe I would wish for a group of venture capitalists who would continue to fund my endeavor as long as I produced games that were critically acclaimed, regardless of the profit they generated. I could then just make awesome games all day long without having to worry about whether they appealed to the Madden/Halo crowd.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I wouldn't want to wish for anything that would remove the challenge from life. Half the reward of, say, learning a language is the payoff from all the work you put into it. That's why I wouldn't wish to be super-rich - I'd just want enough money to remove most of the financial stress from my life. If I want to be super-rich, I still have to earn it.

PBF210-Wishing_Well.gif

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    DickerdoodleDickerdoodle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think if I could immediately speak and understand all the languages in the world or how to read, write and play music on any instrument I'd be pretty happy. That's just taking into account how short life is and using those things as tools to enhance my journey through life. Or to enhance getting laid. By pretty girls. Lots.

Dickerdoodle on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'll start with #3: The genie gets his/her freedom or some other pre-approved wish. This wish is contingent upon the satisfied results of wishes 1 and 2, and thus the genie has incentive to tell me exactly what would happen with my wording of the wishes. Yeah, yeah, "no malicious intent," but this way I have a good safeguard for stupidly worded wishes overall.

After that, wish 1 is my ideal body. This could change over time, but it would be my ideal at that point, with safeguards to block subconscious mental ponderings. My default ideal would be a shapeshifting nanomechanical body with the usual superpowers and my understanding of its own construction, thus letting me self-replicate. A selfish wish? Sure, but I'd soon have an army of invincible robots at my command, the ability to create implanted AAA video games via sheer force of will, cures for ever major disease, and the technology to undo environmental damage. I'm sure I can finagle a reasonable facsimile of world peace out of that.

Wish 2 is simpler; a portal between me and my ideal lover/lovers that can be created by either side. It's basically a "find my true love" wish, plus a superpower. Plus, if the wish's power was ever taken away, I would still have her; I just wouldn't have such a convenient way to get in touch. It's finding said true love(s) the first time that's the problem.

And, if I really trusted the genie and was given suggestions from the start and the genie wanted for nothing, I'd forget my original wish 3 and make my new wish 3 immunity to the wishes of others. Or, more accurately, when such a wish affecting me is made, I would be made aware of it first and will have the option of accepting or rejecting it after learning its consequences.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    If I've learned anything from cartoons it's that you keep a low profile and save the wishes until you really need them, but I'd probably go the imortallity route as well for the first wish and I'd keep another one on hand just incase I ever wanted to kill myself.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Fellhand wrote: »
    If I've learned anything from cartoons it's that you keep a low profile and save the wishes until you really need them, but I'd probably go the imortallity route as well for the first wish and I'd keep another one on hand just incase I ever wanted to kill myself.

yeah, everyone that keeps wishing for immortality is going to hate it when the world explodes or you lose an arm or something, and didn't wish for regeneration or a way to kill yourself.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    DickerdoodleDickerdoodle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Just wish to live as long as you desire. With no loss of mental or physical ability thrown in maybe.
    ---
    For Tach over in the Democratic primaries forum:

"Wish for a way to end Hilary Clinton's pathetic attempt to fuck over reality in an attempt to secure some sort tainted victory."

Dickerdoodle on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Naturally, first would be an amalgam of superpowers. Teleportation ala Jumper, Wolverine's regeneration abilities, complete comprehension through observation(like saint's first wish), Dr. Manhattan's matter control, shape shifting, etc. (no telepathy though, that's just creepy)

Second wish would be the elimination of HIV/AIDS and malaria(but not their hosts).

Third would be kept in reserve in case something went wrong-- if everything was ok I'd set the genie free.

Sami on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yeah I wouldn't want to live forever. I'm pretty sure I'd get bored and miss people like crazy.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Dr. Manhattan could pretty much do everything. You wouldn't need to bother with any of the other powers. You'd effectively become a god.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    When it comes to wishing for super powers, I would wish for Green Lantern's ring.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Dr. Manhattan could pretty much do everything. You wouldn't need to bother with any of the other powers. You'd effectively become a god.

True, but I'd have to throw in the rider that his ability to see all moments in time would be nixed from the package. What's the fun in life if you know everything?

Sami on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'd go the altruistic route. It's the right thing to do. Maybe:

1) That the standard of living available to upper class Americans be universally available
    2) That animals be emancipated, and their food role be replaced with similarly tasty pseudo-meats
    3) That humanity persists indefinitely (or as long as the laws of physics allow)

MrMister on
  • Options
    TurnpikeLadTurnpikeLad Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I really, really think it would be cool if I could understand and speak any language. Also I believe that a person with enough intellectual and emotional intelligence, and enough good will for the world, can make immense sweeping changes. I would also want to achieve and remain in peak physical condition for the forseeable future - not immortal, just my body remaining in top condition and not aging, perhaps with accelerated healing and impervious immune system. I could still be killed by a bullet to the head.

So those are the three wishes I would probably make. But here are the three wishes I agonized over and fine-tooled in my head all through my teenage years.

1.The power to create visual, auditory and olfactory illusions, perceptible only to those whom I wish to see them - perhaps everybody, perhaps only one person.

2.The power to leave my body and exist as a floating, perceiving mote of consciousness. I could fashion illusions around this mote and control these illusions as though they were my own body and voice.

3.The ability to metamorphose small bits of matter (air molecules, pieces of dust) into energy and manifest that energy in the world as static forcefields - basically invisible objects with whatever qualities I want them to have - fuzzy, soft, hard, slimy, whatever. This would be available to me whether I was in my body or projected somewhere else.

The idea is that I'm then able to manifest ersatz physical objects by creating forcefields and clothing them with illusion. I could project an image of my body 100 miles away, create a forcefield that matched its contours and texture, and inhabit that body with full sensory participation.

Other ideas involved being able to create an exact illusory copy of any given object (so I don't have to rely on my faulty memory;) being able to set static enchantments that kept existing whether or not I was thinking specifically about them at the time; being able to retreat into a timeless space inside my own head where I could spend as much time as I wanted working on fine-tuning how a particular illusion would work without time passing in the outside word; being able to grant any of these powers to whomever I chose.

Lastly, perhaps I would want to be able to create autonomous copies of people's minds, including my own, that functioned like the mote in wish 2, able to clothe themselves in whatever illusionary-forcefield forms they wished. I would only be able to make a free-roaming copy of a person's mind, not change it in any way. They would be able to interact with anyone in the world including their original selves.

I couldn't find a way to condense these further powers down into three wishes, though, aside from "whatever is written right now on this paper will become true," which is a loophole, so I guess I would have had to stick with the three wishes I listed.

TurnpikeLad on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'd love to be able to fly, just like superman or the dudes in DBZ.
    Actually, maybe just wish to have all of superman's powers.

So,
    1) Superman's powers: MAKE THEM MINE.
    2) Time CONTROL (different than time travel, I can travel backwards and change any moment. I could undo alot of my life's embarrassments this way. THIS TIME I SHALL PASS 6th GRADE.)
    3) That Dane Cook experiences a horrible, long, and blindingly painful death. Involving a steam roller and ONE THOUSAND DILDOS.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    EddieDeanEddieDean Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    1) Everyone has much more empathy and tolerance.
    2) More integration with and respect for nature in everyone's lives
    3) 12" penis

EddieDean on
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'd love to be able to fly, just like superman or the dudes in DBZ.
    Actually, maybe just wish to have all of superman's powers.

So,
    1) Superman's powers: MAKE THEM MINE.
    2) Time CONTROL (different than time travel, I can travel backwards and change any moment. I could undo alot of my life's embarrassments this way. THIS TIME I SHALL PASS 6th GRADE.)
    3) That Dane Cook experiences a horrible, long, and blindingly painful death. Involving a steam roller and ONE THOUSAND DILDOS.

Yeah, I've been considering control over time, as well. It can be much more interesting that just "go back and change stuff."

Fr'instance:
    Un-age your body, while keeping your current mind.
    Stop time to sleep.
    Stop time to do anything else.
    Stop time, and move the rest of the world and your body and hour back, if you ever lose consciousness while time is in motion.
    Keep whoever/whatever you wish young with you.
    Easily deal with any problem.
    Supply as much energy as you'd ever need (set up a solar cell and battery, and then bring it back from the future).
    Zomg Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

Tarantio on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    1. Domino's ability from X-Men but more powerful. Basically my body would have the ability to alter the probability of occurrences around me in my favor making the improbable probable. Furthermore, the way it works for her is that it's hardwired into her brain and spine so the ability tells her what to do instinctively. So let's say someone was shooting a lot of bullets at me, I would move in just the right fashion to dodge each one or alternatively their weapon would jam or misfire and handle the situation for me. With that, I'd go out and play the lottery and request a random ticket. Bam instant riches. I'd probably do that in a few other places or hit up a casino or two. Invest and i'm rich and relatively invulnerable since i'm always going to be in the right place at the right time and get lucky in the event of some catastrophe.

2. Immortality which would mean constant perfect health at my current age (or a few years down the line, i'm undecided)

3. I'd save this bad boy for some unforeseen event.

---

With this set up I could manually perform any deed of philanthropy I wanted done. I would easily have the resources to become a charismatic and entertaining millionaire and as long as people gamble i'll have liquid assets. Eventually, once I tired of Earth I made take the third wish and become some sort of cosmic entity and explore all of space for the rest of time. I doubt i'd ever get bored. Perhaps lonely but with constant health i'm sure i'd eventually find another world where I could be worshiped etc.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png