As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mario Kart Wii: U.S. release 4/27, EU 4/11; EU reviews are glowing

LunkerLunker Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Games and Technology
Oh snap.
Joystiq wrote:
Nintendo has announced that its frantic shell-flinging racer, Mario Kart Wii, will see its long-awaited US release on April 27th. The game will include the "intuitive" Wii Wheel, otherwise described as a large hunk of plastic capable of housing your Wii remote. We envision it being less useful for the actual game and better suited to the imaginary car we'll be driving everywhere, complete with lip-powered puttering and unexpected honking to annoy the coworkers at the office.

Once you stick Mario Kart Wii into your console, you'll be able to compete with up to 11 other drivers online across 32 courses (half of them recycled from previous games). You can also expect to encounter Mii integration, 10 battle arenas, alternate controller support and a festering hatred for blue shells.

I was definitely not expecting this until May or June at the earliest. Brawl, Mario Kart, Wii Fit all in the same timeframe? Guess they're cramming them all in before E3.

EDIT: 3.18.08: Videos of the Wii Wheel and remote-only controls in action.

Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
Lunker on

• mystic_knightmystic_knight Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Jesus Christ that is soon.

mystic_knight on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Different systems, different audiences maybe, but I have to wonder how smart it is to release this two days from GTAIV.

UnbreakableVow on
  • troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    wow yeah that's unexpected.

troublebrewing on
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ahhh hell yes, I have been wanting some of this action since it got announced.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I thought that you people had already gotten your release date for this?

I feel obliged to point out that we get this game in Europe April 11, a full 16 days before you in America, because it makes me feel better about not having Brawl yet.

Peewi on
  • NegrodamusNegrodamus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Shit.
    I just assumed it wouldn't drop until late May. Unfair.

Negrodamus on
    XBL: P3rcyMiracl3s | PSN: gumby24
  • bruceskibruceski Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    have there been any demos of the game that have surfaced for review? Using the wiimote as a wheel seems really hit-or-miss to me, and in the other Wii racing games it's been largely miss.

bruceski on
    WoW - Baelgun server
    Beohrn, 70 tauren druid
    random alts.

Wii number -- 0277 0746 9561 0171
    --Metroid Prime 3
  • PicklesPickles Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Good point about E3, Lunker. I'm hoping this means Nintendo is clearing out the queue in order to make huge reveals at E3.

Pickles on
  • GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This is almost too soon... my backlog is too enormous as it is :(

I'll still buy it day one.

Geod on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Different systems, different audiences maybe, but I have to wonder how smart it is to release this two days from GTAIV.

I think it's one of the few games on the market that won't be too overly affected by GTA IV, outside of the "man I can't afford another game" factor. I'm assuming NoA had decided this before the GTA delay, but then opted not to bother changing it. Personally, I think it's going to be hurt more by its proximity to Brawl. I was expecting at least a two-month window, since a ton of Smash diehards are going to have a hard time pulling the disc out of the system at all.

I'm pleasantly surprised, though -- definite Day 1 purchase for me.
    bruceski wrote:
    have there been any demos of the game that have surfaced for review? Using the wiimote as a wheel seems really hit-or-miss to me, and in the other Wii racing games it's been largely miss.

I don't remember anything too recent, but none of the previews have really said anything bad about it. I thought Excite Truck worked really well, assuming you weren't using one of the really twitchy cars. I hope there's a sensitivity setting on MK Wii. And in a weird way, I'm actually interested in using the Wii Wheel, and if it worked out well I'd buy a second one for my wife/friends to use.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    Lunker wrote: »
    bruceski wrote:

I don't remember anything too recent, but none of the previews have really said anything bad about it. I thought Excite Truck worked really well, assuming you weren't using one of the really twitchy cars. I hope there's a sensitivity setting on MK Wii. And in a weird way, I'm actually interested in using the Wii Wheel, and if it worked out well I'd buy a second one for my wife/friends to use.

Excite Truck worked brilliantly. For me at least. Now that i think about everybody else I played it with, including my brother who is generally pretty competent at racing games being as they are the ones he only ever really plays, spent most of their time in the bushes.

But I figured their brains were just broken by my awesome Excite Trucking.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This is going to be sweet! Brawl and Mario Kart so close together?! Noice!

urahonky on
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Wow, Amazon was spot on with their estimated date of May 2.

Invisible on
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    oh shit new mariokart

somebody fill me in, what is new

Nuzak on
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm just glad the game uses the Gamecube controller.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    surely this would get more sales it they released it sometime:
    a) not the same week as GTA, and
    b) more than a month later than Brawl, a bigger & better wii party game

SaraLuna on
  • areaarea Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Peewi wrote: »

I feel obliged to point out that we get this game in Europe April 11, a full 16 days before you in America, because it makes me feel better about not having Brawl yet.

The reason that we get Mario Kart 16 days earlier is because we're getting Brawl months later.

I'm sorry, but that's not a fair trade.

area on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    area wrote: »

The reason that we get Mario Kart 16 days earlier is because we're getting Brawl months later.

Don't let NoE hear you complain or they'll also delay MKW.

Peewi on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Sweet.

Too bad the AI is still complete ass. It's like they haven't updated it since Mario Kart 64. It's the same rubber-banding-blue-shell-spamming bullshit.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited March 2008
    surely this would get more sales it they released it sometime:
    a) not the same week as GTA, and
    b) more than a month later than Brawl, a bigger & better wii party game

"Better" is debatable, but also this serves as a nice counterpoint to all the forum-trolling "lulz dust off the Wii for a Nintendo game every four months" meme. I'd love a rolling-thunder summer like the DS had in '05 (Kirby, Meteos, Nintendogs, Advance Wars DS).

Lunker on
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, it's impressive how un-fun playing MK: DD is as 1 player. And yet, how unbalanced and "weird" it is to play 2 player. My wife and I would regularly play Grand Prix, spending 45 minutes going through all the tracks, and it was essentially the same ol' -- the person who gets in the lead simply gets further ahead, as the 2nd player gets beat up by the AI racers.

I don't mind the blue shells, but rubber banding -- especially BAD rubber banding -- really bugs me. To the point that I essentially don't play racing games anymore thanks to it. And DD had really bad, obvious rubber banding. Heck, it's not even that bad if it's just straight up racing, but bad rubber banding mixed with items that knock you back to almost last place? And you certainly don't get to rubber-band your way back up.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hopefully it won't get delayed fifty times like a certain game.

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Sweet.

Too bad the AI is still complete ass. It's like they haven't updated it since Mario Kart 64. It's the same rubber-banding-blue-shell-spamming bullshit.

oh boy!

tyrannus on
  • areaarea Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    area wrote: »

Don't let NoE hear you complain or they'll also delay MKW.

I mean... uh... I'm glad that Brawl doesn't have a release date here yet. As it lets me look forward to it for longer. Yes.

area on
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This is the last of my favorite Nintendo franchises that has yet to make an appearance on the Wii. I'm excited! I'm also surprised that the April estimates were actually correct.

It had so better have Rainbow Road and the accompanying theme at the end of the game. That's about all I need to be giddy for this.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Mario Kart Wii and GTAIV on the same week? My wallet is going to kill me.

Veevee on
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    i'm a little cautious about mario kart after double dash, but GTAIV is a day one for me

tyrannus on
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm not shocked it's being announced so soon, but I will be shocked if they actually keep that date. Have any of the Wii games launched at the dates they set?

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Holy shit for a couple of reasons.

1. Much too soon after Brawl for another must play Wii game.
    2. 2 days before GTA IV is not enough time to enjoy Mario Kart.
    3. I believe Bionic Commando: Rearmed and Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix will be out around this time as well.

Looks lke GTA gets the back burner for a month or two, depending on how into Brawl I still am. The plan is to tear through Brawl and MK until everything is unlocked, and then keep them at arms reach for multiplayer while I give GTA a go.

No More Heroes will have to wait ahile longer. Balls.

Also, I wonder if this means Mario Golf/Tennis, Pikmin and Animal Crossing will be unveiled at E3. Hopefully hints about another Zelda, too.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

edited March 2008
    Oh shit.... Dodge, you bring up a good point. I couldn't think of any other "must have" Nintendo games that they could announce, but somehow I forgot Pikmin and Animal Crossing (not to mention Mario Golf!) Shit balls!

urahonky on
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Man what BS is this? Persona 3 FES on 4/22. Mario Kart Wii on 4/27. GTA IV on 4/28.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    With Brawl nodding to every game in the Nintendo universe, they could be announcing anything at E3. I'm really drooling to find out what Nintendo is bringing to the table this year.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
    edited March 2008
    Gyral wrote: »
    Man what BS is this? Persona 3 FES on 4/22. Mario Kart Wii on 4/27. GTA IV on 4/28.

Fuck, I forgot PES was coming out too!! D:

urahonky on
  • naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So snaking's gone, supposedly.
    http://gonintendo.com/?p=37964

naengwen on
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So... Fuck GTA IV. I am way too excited about this game. Especially for the girlfriend/wife factor that this will allow for.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    My excitement for this game has dwindled after playing Smash online. It's such a mess, and I can't imagine Mario Kart being better. And that was a huge selling point to me.

Kyougu on
  • vdanhalenvvdanhalenv Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Mario Kart can be released anytime and still sell as many copies, it's one of those games that for most people is a must have and even if they don't get it right on release day they will eventually pick it up.

vdanhalenv on
    edited March 2008
    naengwen wrote: »

I'll believe it when I see it. I know that rumors have been saying snaking is changed/downplayed, but I won't let myself get too excited about it being completely removed, only to be heartbroken the day of release. I hope it has been removed, though.
    jack eddy wrote:
    So... Fuck GTA IV. I am way too excited about this game. Especially for the girlfriend/wife factor that this will allow for.

Exactly. Brawl/Melee isn't the kind of party game that my wife and friends enjoy, but Mario Kart is right up our alley.

Lunker on
  • YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I wonder if the tracks will be as lame as Double Dash... This will probably be the first Mario Kart I don't buy day 1 because Double Dash left me disappointed, GTA4 comes out 2 days later and Nintendo's online system is garbage.

YodaTuna on
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Lunker wrote: »
    naengwen wrote: »

I'll believe it when I see it. I know that rumors have been saying snaking is changed/downplayed, but I won't let myself get too excited about it being completely removed, only to be heartbroken the day of release. I hope it has been removed, though.

Have you watched any of the videos, on like IGN? It looks like you have to slide for a pretty long time before you get any sort of boost, and the weak boost you get at first doesn't look to do a whole lot compared to the boost you got snaking in MKDS.

I am like 99% sure after watching those videos that snaking won't be a problem. It might be possible to do it still, but it not in every situation, and it'll be a lot harder for less gain.

mntorankusu on