As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

1 wireless keyboard 2 receivers?

midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
I have an HTPC and a PS3 and I'd like to hook up a wireless keyboard to each of them. It makes no sense to have 2 keyboards in my living room, though, if I could just have a single keyboard and switch which receiver it's interacting with. Is this possible? Can anybody point me towards a keyboard that has this functionality?

midgetspy on

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    midgetspy wrote: »
    I have an HTPC and a PS3 and I'd like to hook up a wireless keyboard to each of them. It makes no sense to have 2 keyboards in my living room, though, if I could just have a single keyboard and switch which receiver it's interacting with. Is this possible? Can anybody point me towards a keyboard that has this functionality?

Your best bet is to get a USB KVM switch.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hm. Maybe I can find a KVM that I can switch with an IR remote, heh. Thanks.

midgetspy on
  • thej3wthej3w Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    A lot of KVM's will switch by pressing the scroll lock button twice. I've never tested this on a wireless keyboard, but I don't see it being a problem.

thej3w on
    J4ku.png
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    could you get a bluetooth one you could re-sync more easily than rf?

Deusfaux on
  • The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm not sure how bluetooth pairing works when you try to pair one peripheral to two hosts, but it's definitely something to look into.

Ideally, you could simply have both the PC and the PS3 paired to the keyboard, and whichever one was on would do the handshake.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • thej3wthej3w Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I had 2 wireless keyboards before, and was bored one day so I pluged both receivers into their own computer. I then hit the sync on them at the same time, and then on the keyboard. I was able to get them to all sync so that when I pressed something on the keyboard it happened on both. Perhaps you could find an extra receiver for your wireless keyboard?

thej3w on
    J4ku.png
  • grambogrambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    thej3w wrote: »
    A lot of KVM's will switch by pressing the scroll lock button twice. I've never tested this on a wireless keyboard, but I don't see it being a problem.

This is the best way to do it, plug the receivers into the KVM switch and toggle with the KB.

grambo on
    grambo..png