As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Brawlening

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I actually really like the Delfino stage. It moves but not in an obnoxious Ice Climbers from Melee way.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DefenestratorDefenestrator Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ubik wrote: »
    Ok so I was playing against my friend's Kirby as Captain Falcon.

I don't understand why anytime I did a Falcon Punch, Falcon Kick he could just hit me out of it
    Like I'd be flying downwards from the air Falcon Kick and he'd just jump and punch me.
    How come the move doesn't connect?

That extends to all the characters, though on Falcon it's kinda emphasized. He is a little flamboyant with his attacks and kinda telegraphs every one of them. It's just easier to time those counters, I guess.

Defenestrator on
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So... lots of posting going on, anyone want to play?

I'll get online in a bit. I'm eating right now cause my blood sugar is dropping and us biadetics feel rather shitty when that happens which makes for me play not good until I've got food in me.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ubik wrote: »
    Ok so I was playing against my friend's Kirby as Captain Falcon.

I don't understand why anytime I did a Falcon Punch, Falcon Kick he could just hit me out of it
    Like I'd be flying downwards from the air Falcon Kick and he'd just jump and punch me.
    How come the move doesn't connect?

That extends to all the characters, though on Falcon it's kinda emphasized. He is a little flamboyant with his attacks and kinda telegraphs every one of them. It's just easier to time those counters, I guess.

So like if Pikachu or Luigi is flying at me with that side-B they do where they launch like a rocket, I can just punch and they won't connect?
    Or when Diddy, Fox etc uses they're up-B?

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

edited March 2008
    You've got me there. It happens all the time with smashes but it didn't really occur to me that it doesn't extend to others' special moves. I know for a fact that Luigi and Pikachu's attacks can't be canceled out like that since we've pit them head to head (har har) against each other.

Maybe it's because Falcon loves dudes. Those gays have fragile bones and weak wrists, I hear.

Defenestrator on
    edited March 2008
    I am also getting on right now and am down for a match or two.

Defenestrator on
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Koshian wrote: »
    So... lots of posting going on, anyone want to play?

I'll play
    Added you and created a room.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • ThySilentFoolThySilentFool Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm up for some games. Code's in my sig.

ThySilentFool on
    edited March 2008
    Shim, rejoin

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Shim, rejoin
    Thanks, I was thinking, "Oh.. I guess they don't like me anymore."

I actually just assumed it was more a private match and I was going to go play some events, but I'm rejoining.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    As7 wrote: »
    The Geek wrote: »
    I need to work on timing, though. It seems like if I'm about to hit someone and they're about to hit me, I'm always the one that gets smacked first.

It's really important with each character to compare all the moves you can do both in the air and on the ground for:

Speed of attack.

Strength of attack.

Area of attack.

Ability to recover.

It's easy to do this, really, just try out every attack variation on the sand bag before the match or in training. Oh, and use the c-stick to get some quick, good attacks in now and then.

After seeing what each move does you'll quickly learn to use each one in different situations. For example, sometimes the best attack to use in the air against someone your jumping forward to is not actually the forward A attack but maybe the up A attack or the neutral A attack and you have to learn to deliberately do these moves instead of the more intuitive version.

And then theres lag and how you handle that...

c-stick what?

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I've got a room going, but I only see Bel online.

How can this be?!

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    As7 wrote: »
    I need to work on timing, though. It seems like if I'm about to hit someone and they're about to hit me, I'm always the one that gets smacked first.

It's really important with each character to compare all the moves you can do both in the air and on the ground for:

Speed of attack.

Strength of attack.

Area of attack.

Ability to recover.

It's easy to do this, really, just try out every attack variation on the sand bag before the match or in training. Oh, and use the c-stick to get some quick, good attacks in now and then.

After seeing what each move does you'll quickly learn to use each one in different situations. For example, sometimes the best attack to use in the air against someone your jumping forward to is not actually the forward A attack but maybe the up A attack or the neutral A attack and you have to learn to deliberately do these moves instead of the more intuitive version.

And then theres lag and how you handle that...

c-stick what?

The c-stick on the gamecube controller.

Lardalish on
  • ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Snake's damn homing missile that locks you into place.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    Lardalish wrote: »

Oh yeah, that thing. I haven't looked at a GameCube controller in quite a while.

I use the mote-chuck to play Brawl.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Lardalish wrote: »

Oh yeah, that thing. I haven't looked at a GameCube controller in quite a while.

I use the mote-chuck to play Brawl.

I'd recommend mapping some buttons or motion controls to smash attacks then. Basically what the c-stick on the GC or classic controller does is it performs the quicks possible version of a smash attack in the direct you press it...so it doesn't have any charge and comes out as quick as possible. It's great for a couple reason.

1. Uncharged smash attacks are only slightly slower than regular attacks, usually, and have better knockback.

2. Smash attacks have different properties that normal attacks don't...for example Wario's down smash spins around and hits everyone around him and goes on for a while. It has a long recovery, though.

3. It allows you to perform attacks without change direction or accidentally doing something you didn't want to do. This is especially great for rushing or jumping...you can do a downwards attack with the c-stick without changing momentum much, for example, which is hard to do without it.

4. It's just quicker to press one button then two, in my opinion.

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
    edited March 2008
    God damnit lemming, stop finding ways to not die, and then kill me.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yeah classic controller for smash bros is going to take some getting used to. Of course the game in general will.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Kekeke

I liked the matches that weren't decided by items and Smash Balls better, though :V

Also, fuck Pit. Every time I play against him as Samus, I lose. I have to switch to ZSS to have any hope of winning, and I suck with her D:

Lemming on
    edited March 2008
    Lemming wrote: »

Kekeke

I liked the matches that weren't decided by items and Smash Balls better, though :V

Also, fuck Pit. Every time I play against him as Samus, I lose. I have to switch to ZSS to have any hope of winning, and I suck with her D:
    Yeah, I kinda died, then killed myself with about 10% samage, and then three stocked your Samus.

Go Pit!

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
    edited March 2008
    Lemming wrote: »

Kekeke

Yeah, I kinda died, then killed myself with about 10% samage, and then three stocked your Samus.

Go Pit!

The same thing happened when I played against Munkus. I could hold my own against his Metaknight and Ike, then he switches to Pit, and FUCKBLAMMO I GET ASSRAPED

Lemming on
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I added a whole bunch of you.

So if you are reading this add me back.

Otherwise I will bother you all via PMs.

Bedlam on
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    man i gotta use bowser's neutral ground a attack more often, those things are decently fast and have some nice range to'em

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited March 2008
    That fucking game, Ike v Samus on Eldin.

I wanted to leap through my screen when my one smash didn't kill you, and then you managed to kill me when I did my parry.

Like some kind of uber smash that defied the laws of time and space, breaking through the parry barrier and hitting my heart.

It hurt.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Surely somone here has beaten event 28, the one where you're Peach vs. Olimar and have to "make all the leaves on the right tree red."

What exactly am I supposed to do? I can get all the leaves sorta reddish but they turn back to orange mighty quick and Olimar is an asshole.

Marshmallow on
  • ThySilentFoolThySilentFool Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I just ignored Olimar completely and smashed all the leaves.

ThySilentFool on
    edited March 2008
    Surely somone here has beaten event 28, the one where you're Peach vs. Olimar and have to "make all the leaves on the right tree red."

What exactly am I supposed to do? I can get all the leaves sorta reddish but they turn back to orange mighty quick and Olimar is an asshole.
    They gotta be really red and all on the right hand tree.

Just keep hitting them until they turn and when you think you have it move to a different one. Eventually you will get it.

Bedlam on
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008

just beat them until they turn all the way red, they should stop at some point i think. you know how the leaves tilt upwards and then eventually down when you hit them enough? when they get all the way level again they should be good

I think

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited March 2008
    Is it all right to kill Olimar off? It would make things easier I think.

Marshmallow on
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008

You have to damage them as they get progressively red. They'll slowly start turning back to green, so you have to go back to ones that have turned orange.

You can kill Olimar first and then just focus on the leaves.

Jimothy on
  • Filler Inc.Filler Inc. Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Wouldn't killing him just end the round without you accomplishing your mission?

Filler Inc. on
    edited March 2008
    Man Ive added everyone on this page fyi

Bedlam on
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Wouldn't killing him just end the round without you accomplishing your mission?

You'd think so, but no.

Jimothy on
    edited March 2008
    That fucking game, Ike v Samus on Eldin.

I wanted to leap through my screen when my one smash didn't kill you, and then you managed to kill me when I did my parry.

Like some kind of uber smash that defied the laws of time and space, breaking through the parry barrier and hitting my heart.

It hurt.

Actually, that was my charge beam, so it went through you when you parried, but it was still touching you by the time you came out of your invulnerability frames. I think.

pew pew pew!

Lemming on
    edited March 2008
    Excellent, I got it, thank you very much everyone.

Marshmallow on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Who wants to Brawl?

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2008
    i'll play, blank

Garlic Bread on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Woo! I'll make a room.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2008
    hold up i gotta pee

Garlic Bread on
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    javen if you are getting a shit-ton of kills but still losing you should seriously consider switching from stock to time

TheySlashThem on
This discussion has been closed.