As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Air Purifiers

AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
Between my Siberian Husky and three chinchillas the pet fur, dander, and other small particles are starting to annoy the hell out of me. Do these air purifiers, ionic or otherwise, actually work? I trust the PA community to be honest and correct, unlike the drivel you see across the internet.

I'd love some recommendations, especially if you know of some good deals. I'd prefer ones without filters you have to buy every time you change them but them actually working is even better.

In a related note I saw an Ionic Light Bulb the other day at Walgreens. I can't possibly imagine that being very effective but then I don't know dick about this technology.

Accualt on

Posts

  • corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Vacuum clean regularly. Best way. Also I've found shifting animals from saw dust to old newspaper and cat litter works quite well, although they tend to eat it.

    I imagine that ionic bulb is going to do absolutely nothing a regular bulb isn't already doing. How's it going to emit ions? Where do they come from? Plus you'd gradually build up a huge charge on it. It could just be a UV emitter and create free radicals from stuff in the air, but then it'd probably damage your eyesight (or at best) give you a mild tan.

    corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    From the looks of the bulb it has a little spout where the ions come out. The bulb itself doesn't create them, its just built into it.

    I do vacuum regularly but the entire house is hardwood floor so the carpet isn't there to help trap this stuff. It all just floats around. I was hoping these air purifiers would help with that, at least in the smaller rooms.

    Accualt on
  • Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    From the looks of the bulb it has a little spout where the ions come out. The bulb itself doesn't create them, its just built into it.

    I do vacuum regularly but the entire house is hardwood floor so the carpet isn't there to help trap this stuff. It all just floats around. I was hoping these air purifiers would help with that, at least in the smaller rooms.
    Ex-girlfriend's mother ran one of these, she had cats. I cleaned it out once and noticed it was dusty... no animal hair in it.

    Anecdotal, but it's something.

    Satan. on
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Satan. wrote: »
    Accualt wrote: »
    From the looks of the bulb it has a little spout where the ions come out. The bulb itself doesn't create them, its just built into it.

    I do vacuum regularly but the entire house is hardwood floor so the carpet isn't there to help trap this stuff. It all just floats around. I was hoping these air purifiers would help with that, at least in the smaller rooms.
    Ex-girlfriend's mother ran one of these, she had cats. I cleaned it out once and noticed it was dusty... no animal hair in it.

    Anecdotal, but it's something.

    My understanding is that ionizers are only going to work on small particulate matter, and only in a small radius around the device. And by small, I mean a few feet.

    Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You should also know that Ionizers produce Ozone, which appears to be part of the process for removing particles, because the 3rd Oxygen atom can detach and reattach to other particles.

    This EPA page is pretty ruthless towards them.

    http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/ozonegen.html

    Dark_Side on
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    You should also know that Ionizers produce Ozone, which appears to be part of the process for removing particles, because the 3rd Oxygen atom can detach and reattach to other particles.

    This EPA page is pretty ruthless towards them.

    http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/ozonegen.html
    Available scientific evidence shows that at concentrations that do not exceed public health standards, ozone has little potential to remove indoor air contaminants.

    Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I have an ozone generating purifier that also has a large fan for moving air through it. I used it during fire season and it trapped tons of ash. It also has knobs for adjusting the ozone generation and it is possible to create toxic levels of the stuff (you're suppose to tune it to the size of the room.) I love my air purifier.

    Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Consumer reports tells me that the Whirlpool Whispure AP45030S is a good HEPA-filter based room-sized purifier.

    RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    We got rid of our ionizer the same day we moved all the chemicals out from under the sink and into the garage and gave away all our scented candles. Which was when we found out my wife was pregnant.

    I know people talk about unsafe "levels" etc... but if you look at the science of what these things can do to your air quality it's pretty scary.

    FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The irony that Air Purifiers actually ad toxic pollutants to the air is lovely.

    Accualt on
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I got one of these (http://www.blueair.com/products/501.php) and it seems to work. Costs like $100 a pop to change out the filters, uses activated charcoal (my understanding is growers of things that get smelly during the flowering stage use activated charcoal to kill the odor). And initial investment was $400-500.

    The animal hair stays on the floor (I have similar setup with multiple hairy 4-leggers and wood floors). I don't know from the ionic ones.

    Honestly, I don't think it's worth it unless you have respiratory problems. Though it makes the air taste cleaner, and seems to help my allergies (this could be psycho-somatic).

    Djeet on
  • corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    The irony that Air Purifiers actually ad toxic pollutants to the air is lovely.

    It's like having a big smog-generator in your living room! Awesome.

    So yeah, I guess they must use UV light to create ozone from atmospheric oxygen. Great.

    Vacuuming sounds the way forward to me. ;-)

    corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
Sign In or Register to comment.