As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Accessing files, also internet connection problems

JimothyJimothy Not in front of the foxhe's with the owlRegistered User regular
edited March 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I need someone who knows computers better than me.

I had a reinstall of Windows recently and the guy who did it for me made a temporary admin account and loaded all of my music, pictures, and documents into it. I have since set up my real account, and the admin disappeared, like it's supposed to (though I know I'm supposed to be able to access it from Safety Mode).

Problem is, this new account has none of my old files, it loads iTunes like I'm a new user. How can I get my files to show up in this account?

Jimothy on

• Options
    CausticCaustic Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    What Operating System do you have? If it is a flavor of XP check under c:\Documents and Settings\

You should see a folder under there that isn't yours, the easiest way to find it is by creating a document or folder on your desktop and drilling down through c:\Documents and Settings\%your username%\desktop\
    to see if your newly created document is there. Once you have found your profile (the folder under documents and settings) go to the other one i.e. (c:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\) and check the directories there (typically stuff like My Documents, Favorites, Desktop.

Caustic on
    COMPLETELY TRUE FACT ABOUT THE MOVIE "POCKET NINJAS" #2: Director Dave Eddy was once arrested for illegally propositioning the Baby Jesus Christmas figurine outside the Our Lady of the Monotonous Peace church in downtown Burbank.
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Thanks, I'll try that in a little bit.

But first I have a new problem. I went home today for the first time since the reinstall, and I'm having the hardest time getting on my parents' Wi Fi. I think we finally got the connection down (my bars are now green), but it still won't let me online, despite having an excellent connection.

I try to repair the connection, and the part it messes up is "renewing IP address." This isn't a problem I've ever had before. Any ideas?

Jimothy on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The thing is, you'll never see things in Administrator from a local admin account. Administrator on Windows is like root on a *nix. So you'll have log into Administrator in Safe Mode, then move the files to your My Documents folder.

For the connection part, you may need to force a flush. Go to Start > Run, then type "cmd". This gets you the command shell. In the shell, type "ipconfig /release", then "ipconfig /renew". This forces the address in memory to be flushed, and for you to get a new lease from the router.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    "ipconfig /release" gets me a message saying that it can't perform the operation because my "media is disconnected."

Then after "ipconfig /renew," it tells me the same thing and adds that it is "unable to contact [my] DHCP server."

Jimothy on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I feel silly bumping this, but if anyone else can help, that would be great.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Sounds like your router might be acting up. Are other computers able to get online? Can you try hooking your computer up to the router with an ethernet cable and see if that works? I'm not familiar with the nuances of wireless, so it could be an issue there, but I've got minimal experience with it, so I can't really help you there.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, my dad's laptop and the family computer can get online no problem. I think the issue is connected with my reinstall, but I don't know how.

Jimothy on