As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Repair v. Replace (and sell repair)...the X360 debate

Nitsuj82Nitsuj82 Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Games and Technology
Note to mods: If this should go into H/A, I apologize. Just move it and I'll take the comments there.

Okay, PA, here's the dilemma. My 360 RROD'd yesterday afternoon. It's a Premium with a manufacture date of July 14, 2006. The cardboard coffin for my baby is on its way, but I'm kind of worried now.

From everything I've read, the refurb process is mediocre at best, and I may just end up getting a launch box with what amounts to an extra fan and a heatsink for good measure. My line of thinking is, why deal with another possible failure when I can just go buy an Arcade package (with an HDMI port), throw my HDD on it, and get back into the game? Am I way off-base here? Should I just wait and see what happens, or should I go get a new one with a guaranteed recent manufacture date and sell the refurb when it comes back?

Help!

Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
Nitsuj82.png
Nitsuj82 on

• Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I don't own a Xbox 360 but if you replace your console I pretty sure you won't be able to use your DLC unless you log onto Live with the account that bought it.

EDIT:
    Unless MS will transfer the serial for you. (I know they will if they give you a new console via warranty but I'm not sure they will do this if you just decide to buy a new xbox)

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I think it's all tied to my Gamertag, actually. Plus, my HDD would be from my old console, and the refurb would have a new serial number anyhow.

Nitsuj82 on
    Nitsuj82.png
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Nitsuj82 wrote: »
    I think it's all tied to my Gamertag, actually. Plus, my HDD would be from my old console, and the refurb would have a new serial number anyhow.

It's tied to your box.

Djiem on
  • Options
    StasisStasis Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    and the refurb would have a new serial number anyhow.
    No it won't. I just had my 360 repaired after an RROD and it has the exact same serial number.

Stasis on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Interesting. So even though I'd carry over the hard drive, it wouldn't matter? What if I transferred the gamertag too?

This info might make me re-think my strategy.

Nitsuj82 on
    Nitsuj82.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Interesting. So even though I'd carry over the hard drive, it wouldn't matter? What if I transferred the gamertag too?

This info might make me re-think my strategy.

Even if you transfer the gamertag, it won't change the fact that the liscences are tied to your system. Microsoft can transfer these liscences if you call them but I'm not sure they'll do it if you didn't send your box to them for a repair/replacement. I know they did it for me because I used their warranty, so they have my old box and can remove its rights to my content.

Djiem on
  • Options
    AshendarkAshendark Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Depends on how badly you want to get back in the game. It's going to be two weeks before you get your box back.

As far as the games go. They are tied to both your box and your tag. You can play the full version of any game you own on any box if you're logged in to xbox live. However you wont be able to if you're offline unless the game is loaded on the box it was originally downloaded to. Also they can just register your new box which should allow you to run said games offline.

I've sent my box in twice. First time was for RROD and I got a different box back. They switched registration automatically when they sent the new box so my games still worked. I had to re-download them to get them to work offline though. Second time was for E74 error (some video error or something) and I got the same box back.

Ashendark on
    Ashendark.gif
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    If you can get MS to transfer over your XBLA/DLC stuff to your new 360, I'd go ahead and get a new one just because they're more reliable (and have HDMI), so you're less likely to suffer RROD again.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Just so I'm clear, my game saves would be unavailable offline as well as my DLC? I don't have any Arcade games on the current system, so I'm not concerned about that, but if my saves would be boned...I don't know if I'd want to deal with it.

To Djiem: I'm still gonna send my current unit in, but I'd likely sell it when I got it back with the stuff the Arcade bundle comes with.

Nitsuj82 on
    Nitsuj82.png
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Just so I'm clear, my game saves would be unavailable offline as well as my DLC? I don't have any Arcade games on the current system, so I'm not concerned about that, but if my saves would be boned...I don't know if I'd want to deal with it.

To Djiem: I'm still gonna send my current unit in, but I'd likely sell it when I got it back with the stuff the Arcade bundle comes with.

Your saves will be fine. It's just Marketplace content that won't work properly unless you get MS to fiddle with it.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    IcewingIcewing Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Well, if you have a saved game, where your character's location is INSIDE something that was DLC (like in some DLCs for the game Oblivion, for example), then you might have a problem.

Icewing on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    After everything you guys have told me, I'm just gonna send it in and wait. I'm not too keen on waiting a month for something that shouldn't have happened in the first place, but what you gonna do?

If it fails a second time though, I'm definitely getting a new box and then I'll call them and have them transfer my data licenses. So ridiculous.

Nitsuj82 on
    Nitsuj82.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    After everything you guys have told me, I'm just gonna send it in and wait. I'm not too keen on waiting a month for something that shouldn't have happened in the first place, but what you gonna do?

If it fails a second time though, I'm definitely getting a new box and then I'll call them and have them transfer my data licenses. So ridiculous.

A month? Last time I sent mine in, I was without my 360 for 2 days. 2 days!

Djiem on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I doubt it'll be a month, but I doubt it'll be two days either :P

Mine took somewhere around two or three weeks all told.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I got a different console back after my RROD. All my saves work offline. As for marketplace stuff I redownloaded the files (download history is quite useful for this) and I tested offline and everything worked. I'm hearing stories of people who redownloaded with no luck and stories like mine.

Try it on the new console.

Handkor on