As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On] Planetside!

TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Games and Technology
ps1.jpg
UPDATE! - The list of people who are playing has been updated for all that play on VANU EMERALD

What is Planetside?
Planetside is an mmofps set in the future where you wage war as one of three factions.

Why should I care?
Because Planetside is cool god damnit! Here, look at this screenshot!
planetside1.jpg

Okay, that looks pretty cool, who are those guys?
Those are the Terran Republic's MAX suits. They are pimps among men.

So, What are the three factions you can play as?
Glad you asked! Each spoiler here contains an Empire's Info
PlanetSide_TR_800.jpg
Loyalty until Death! Strength in Unity! Order requires law. Law is enforced through deterrence. Deterrence is based on the fear of consequences, and fear is the most powerful motivating force. The separatist groups, the Vanu Sovereignty and the New Conglomerate, will be dismantled through the exercise of forceful deterrence. Dissidents will fear the consequences of their disloyalty. Unity and order will be restored.

Though usually not as powerful as NC equipment in a shot-for-shot basis, the Terran Republic's equipment exemplifies the "more is better" attitude especially when the - more' is lead. Therefore their weapons generally fire faster which is exemplified in both their Medium Assault weapon, the Cycler, and their Heavy Assault Weapon, the Chaingun. Furthermore their vehicles such as the Marauder (Heavy Assault Buggy) and the Prowler (Heavy Assault Tank) can carry two independent gunners vs. the equivalent Vanu Sovereignty or New Conglomerate vehicles that only have one gunner.
PlanetSide_VS_800.jpg
The destiny of the human species tilts toward ruin. Thousands of years of shortsightedness and provincial thinking have hampered its proper evolution. We plunge toward oblivion. Those able to comprehend the promise and potential of humanity will advance. They will usher the less gifted through the gateway of understanding and cleanse the taint of blindness, ignorance and mulishness from the species. We are the shepherds of evolution, the harbingers of progress. We lead toward the light.

Flexibility and mobility are what the Vanu Sovereignty are about. Their equipment may lack the sheer power or rate of fire that their enemies enjoy but their built-in Armor Piercing mode for their weapons gives them the flexibility in combat that can't be matched. Likewise, though their vehicles may not have quite the top speed of other vehicles, the ability to move across water allows them to strike from unexpected angles and thus shift the tide of battle easier than a conventional attack upon an entrenched opponent.
PlanetSide_NC_800.jpg
Tear down the Threat that is Tyranny! Burn it all down and Start Again! We call all able-bodied soldiers to The Frontlines to take up arms against those who would deprive us of our basic freedoms. Do not forgive! Do not forget the History of Oppression that we have endured at the hands of the Terran brutes and the Vanu maniacs! Volunteer Now!

The New Conglomerate's equipment generally can deliver the most punch up in a single but slower firing shot. This is typified by the NC's Assault Tank, the Vanguard that packs the largest cannon available but with the slowest rate of fire. Further illustrating the NC's love for pure punch is their Jackhammer, a Tri-Barreled Auto shotgun that can tear up enemy soldiers and vehicles at short range but quickly loses effectiveness as distance to the target increases.

Spiffy, but I already know what Planetside is and I quit a long time ago.
Okay, you got me there, after the BFR's(read:giant ass mechs) came out the game kind of went down hill. But I bet you haven't been checking back to see some new cool things they've added! New skills have been added, as well as a few new weapons and vehicles. Its worth coming back for at least 14 days to try out some of the new stuff!

Okay, so where can I download the game to give it a shot?
Sweet! Alright, just click http://www.gamershell.com/pc/planetside/
You also need to go to http://launcher.station.sony.com/ and get SOE's launcher thing thats in beta to get access to the planetside trial

I read at the top that it said this was a 12 month trial! Is that true?!
Sadly it is not. Fileplanet never took the reserves deal out of the name, you will only get 14 days for the trial.

Damn, that sucks. so what faction are people playing?
Currently I am playing Vanu on the Emerald server, if a lot of people join up and would rather play NC or TR that can be arranged.

Okay, so where can I read more about the weapons and things in Planetside?
You can just click here and you have a whole bunch of links on the left to check out!

Okay, so who is playing?
The current list of people:
Forum Name - PS Name
VANU EMERALD
TheKoolEagle - KoolEagle
Typhaeon - CaoCow
<insert forum name here> - Reily
Axen - Axen32
Demitri Omni - Deetur
Yoshua - Hallee
Kerdos - Kerdosi
AJAlkaline40 - AJAlkaline40
Garthor - Katzenbach
Bamelin - Bamelin
FightTest - DLoc24
BlueDestiny - BlueDestiny
Captain Cactus And The Water Preservation Squad - TheMarshall
Glocjt - Gloc

Hopefully my OP was helpful and understandable, its been a couple of years since I wrote one D:

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
TheKoolEagle on

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I remember the one time I was going to try this out (when I could, meaning when I had broadband) my download borked up and the installer crashed. But I've always wanted to play Planetside. MMOFPS is just about one of the best concepts ever.

I'll look into this (again) after doing my latest round of research on broadband options out here.

Henroid on
  • Options
    AshendarkAshendark Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I was just thinking the other day how cool a Planetside 2 or something similar would totally rock my face off.

Sadly however I don't think I have the heart to re-subscribe to SoE's service.

I had a ton of fun with this game back when it first came out though. I remember playing Vanu, I think I made it up to BR 18, maybe higher.

Do a lot of people still play? I remember the map being lit up with huge battles going on all over the place..

Ashendark on
    Ashendark.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Its died down a bit from its glory days but you can always find at least 1 good battle raging across a continent(although they are planets now or something crazy, i don't know, core combat did horrible things)

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I am in the queue.

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I played back when they did the free thing, and I'll admit that when you got a good, coordinated battle going it was pretty awesome. But the fact that the game's pretty much dead outside a few hardcore players, practically non-existent dev support, and the fact that the free trial thing pretty much gave you access to everything you could do in the game means that I can't justify paying for it now.

One thing I never fully got was the hate against the BFRs. Sure there are people still pissed about the poorly-handled rollout, but balance issues have been fixed by now. Also, I can't understand why people wouldn't want Giant Fucking Robots in an MMO. There are precious few multiplayer games with mechs, and even fewer that let you get out, so ostricizing them in the one game that actually has them seems like people are wasting a rare thing.

Dartboy on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    actually now they suck pretty hard, 2 tanks can take one down without too much trouble

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Tied for first along with AC: DT as the greatest MMO experiences ever.

Unfortunately both were back in the glory days of high populations before the devs fucked things up.

PS was awesome back when there were 2.5 poplocks to go to at any given time, but the last time I played it was just a single 3-way all the time. Which is actually still fun for a little while, but it doesn't take long to feel incredibly pointless.

Devs should have nerfed reaver spam vs infantry and never put in BFRs. Had they done that I, and probably a lot of other folks, would probably still be playing.

Worth checking out if you've never played it, but as someone who loved the game back in the day I'm stuck comparing it to the best of times so it's pretty meh.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2008
    This was way fun when I played the free stuff. I might be up for a trial again.

Echo on
  • Options
    PejPej Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I absolutely loved Planetside when it first came out and still have a soft spot for it. I've resubbed quite a few times but it never holds my interest for very long these days, mostly because the things that irk me about it are glaring to me again after only a few days and I know they'll never be resolved. I can't wait for a sequel or some other, new MMOFPS though... Still, I don't think Planetside gets as much credit as it deserves. A lot of the really negative criticisms I've read about it in the past (I'm not talking about anything in this thread) make me wonder if the poster really gave it half a chance to begin with.

Pej on
    This cave leads to the inhospitable surface of the planet. There is nothing for you to see there.
  • Options
    steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Planetside had this icky situation of being holy-hell-this-is-fun awesome for the first week of a two week trial, then by the end of the second week you get tired of it not seemingly going anywhere and don't bother subbing.

Then a few months later you do another trial and feel the same exact thing.

I played the Beta a lot and it definitely had a lot of potential. If it ever had a way to discourage zerging bases, I never played it after it had it. They used to not have the control lattice which made the game certainly different in a few ways: lots of ninja assaults, fewer all out base zergs. The lattice added more of a 'front line' but might have costed it more than it gained.

steejee on
    The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    steejee wrote: »
    Planetside had this icky situation of being holy-hell-this-is-fun awesome for the first week of a two week trial, then by the end of the second week you get tired of it not seemingly going anywhere and don't bother subbing.

I played the Beta a lot and it definitely had a lot of potential. If it ever had a way to discourage zerging bases, I never played it after it had it. They used to not have the control lattice which made the game certainly different in a few ways: lots of ninja assaults, fewer all out base zergs. The lattice added more of a 'front line' but might have costed it more than it gained.

That and there was 0 reason to fight outside of the bases.

They had all those huge open areas for grandiose battles...and nothing ever happened with them since there was no reward in fighting there. They could have cut down on the maps, and just made the bases w/small area around them, and nothing would have changed.
    They should have added resources points or something similar, out in the wild that you would have to protect. IE thermal generators on the lava "planet", that would increase the energy storage amount/gradually increase a bases energy for whoever controlled it.

From my experience anyway.

Morkath on
  • Options
    falsedeffalsedef Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'd play if they devs would focus on bugs, optimizing their engine, and balancing gameplay, rather than adding useless new content. What's frustrating is that the devs know that most players want the same thing. Yet, they're trying to appease some new phantom player base, in the 12 year old demographic, by adding gimmicks.

It's unfortunate that no new MMOFPS will supplant PS anytime soon. I'm surprised that Huxley didn't try to rip off Planetside, instead of ripping off quake/unreal.

Like others here have said: it's recommended for new players. Play now, before it dies off completely. I have the feeling there won't be another experience like it for quite awhile.

falsedef on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Morkath wrote: »
    steejee wrote: »

That and there was 0 reason to fight outside of the bases.

They had all those huge open areas for grandiose battles...and nothing ever happened with them since there was no reward in fighting there. They could have cut down on the maps, and just made the bases w/small area around them, and nothing would have changed.
    They should have added resources points or something similar, out in the wild that you would have to protect. IE thermal generators on the lava "planet", that would increase the energy storage amount/gradually increase a bases energy for whoever controlled it.

From my experience anyway.

Most of the fighting I did was outside, which was also the best experiences in the game. I think the infantry combat is mediocre, along the lines of BF 1942, but I did play in an outfit that specialized in special ops.

I heard outdoor combat is limited now due to gunships owning up everything, but I'm not up to date on that. There's some poor design decisions going on.

falsedef on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Despite all the problems Planetside had; duo controlling a tank with a friend was one of the more fun experiences I've had in an online game.

Epic tank battles.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Planetside was great until the devs drove it into the ground.

It always irked me that there were no cities though. The same couple of bases got old fast, despite being in different environments.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    One of my most memorable gaming experiences was air-dropping out of a troop transport with a company of dudes I'd teamed up with. We all fell through the sky in drop pods and landed on the roof of the new area. It was badass.

Renzo on
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ah yes, I have many a fond memory of getting 4 people together in one of the bombers and just rocking.

More games need to have co-op vehicles. It can be bad if you have crappy players, but with good players it is just so awesome.

Last Son on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Renzo wrote: »
    One of my most memorable gaming experiences was air-dropping out of a troop transport with a company of dudes I'd teamed up with. We all fell through the sky in drop pods and landed on the roof of the new area. It was badass.
    There is nothing more badass than a pod drop into a battlezone. Nothing.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I think he meant dropping out of a Galaxy using a grav-chute, not coming down in a pod from orbit.

Although yes, walking out of a drop pod guns blazing was an amazing experience.

Last Son on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Last Son wrote: »

I think he meant dropping out of a Galaxy using a grav-chute, not coming down in a pod from orbit.

That's what I meant. It's been so long that I forgot the correct terminology.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Last Son wrote: »

That's what I meant. It's been so long that I forgot the correct terminology.

Yeah I forgot the terms too. Some guy would fly a transport from building to building, and we'd pile in and then drop out when we got where we were going. Of course we'd go, "3...2...1...GO" and all try to drop at the same time. You could pan the camera around and see your buddies dropping right next to you, if I remember correctly.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I'm unzipping the package now . . . I will probably try it out in the afternoon. I just got out of work and I am dead tired!

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I had fun with this during the Reserves days, but it just will not run on my new PC.

I've tried a few different times, but it just locks up hard and I have to hit the power button to recover.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    We need a Planetside II

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Neli wrote: »
    We need a Planetside II

pretty much, with an overhaul on their graphics engine and knowing what killed the first one, planetside could be epic

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Neli wrote: »
    We need a Planetside II

pretty much, with an overhaul on their graphics engine and knowing what killed the first one, planetside could be epic

I was going to reply with pretty much the same message here.

Planetside was awesome ages ago, when the massive battles were the norm; even just getting from a newly captured base to the next one in the lattice often required a drawn-out fight on open ground (bridge battles, anyone?)

Even though it didn't really have any tangible meaning until the either attackers or defenders were pushed back, it was still loads of fun.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, it didn't really matter that, say, a long bridge battle didn't actually mean something, like a fight for an installation. It was just damn fun.

An indoor battle could be fun too, but not at all like a massive outdoors affair.

I kinda liked cave battles too. I might have been the only one, though.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ah, bridge battles. I remember sniping people with my lancer, as I was huddled in with my squad behind cover at the end of our side of the bridge, so enemy snipers wouldn't take us out. Tanks would try to break the deadlock, but the battle just kept going, since there were too many people on both sides for any direct assault to work for very long. It was beautiful. Usually a good team of people managed to circumvent the enemy force and infiltrate the enemy base/tower behind enemy lines, forcing the enemy army to withdraw, but that usually took a lot of time, and in the meantime there were bridge battles <3

A new planetside with new visceral graphics, new vehicles/weapons and a revamped idea for territorial control would sell me instantly on the game. And we really need to see the MMOFPS idea worked on further, because it is such a good concept

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    ArcoslippyArcoslippy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Planetside was excellent during it's time. I was part of a special forces unit and we would make these stupidly suicidal galaxy drops into the only enemy tech plant on the continent and blow the generator. Then we would hold the generator for as long as possible while we scavanged supplies between counter-attacks on the generator. Man those were the best games ever, nothing nowadays comes close. If they were to bring out Planetside 2 I'd need to change my pants immediately.

Arcoslippy on
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but two crazy people can fix anything.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    citizen059 wrote: »
    I had fun with this during the Reserves days, but it just will not run on my new PC.

I've tried a few different times, but it just locks up hard and I have to hit the power button to recover.

If you're using ATI, you might need MOM and CCC (they come with the catalyst drivers) running. PS is weird like that.

Sony doesn't know what they're missing out in terms of subscribers if they'd just get a less buggy and updated engine. PS with a programmable interface like WoW would be really sweet too.

falsedef on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    After like 2 and a half hours of downloading, installing and updating . . . it is fun loading up the game to see a cracked out main menu. There is no text, it is all covered up by something . . .

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    CyrixdCyrixd Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I am totally downloading the free trial after Monday, so count me in.

Cyrixd on
    Nintendo ID/PSN: CyrixD
    SteamID: FronWewq
    Battle.net: Orange#1845
    3DS Friend Code: 1289-9498-5797
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Okay, so where can I download the game to give it a shot?
    Sweet! Alright, just click here to download the client!

I read at the top that it said this was a 12 month trial! Is that true?!
    Sadly it is not. Fileplanet never took the reserves deal out of the name, you will only get 14 days for the trial.
    They should really fix that. Also, I like cake. It is at least the 4th most delicious food group.

I too enjoy cake.

Learn something new every day.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    TheMorningStarTheMorningStar Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I was in the planetside beta years ago. I can still remember a battle at a bridge with what must have been about 200 people. It was amazing. I've played it since it's release, but when ever I shoot stuff I never feel like I'm doing any damage. I haven't tried it in about two years though.

TheMorningStar on
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I was in the planetside beta years ago. I can still remember a battle at a bridge with what must have been about 200 people. It was amazing. I've played it since it's release, but when ever I shoot stuff I never feel like I'm doing any damage. I haven't tried it in about two years though.

I don't know if the trial has limitations in terms of BR you can achieve anymore, but one of the implant type things you can get at BR6/12/18 (if I remember the numbers correctly) was advanced targeting which lets you see the health of your target.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I loved Planetside for the first free month when it came out and so I paid for a second month. That second month sucked because without a large amount of people playing the game's very dull, so I stopped subscribing.

I heartily agree in a Planetside 2 with smaller continents designed around forcing conflict as well as having some sort of NPC race (aliens I'd say) that increases in count inversely to how many people are on currently so there's always a threat of some sort. That'd probably solve my problems with the game from release, I don't know anything about the problems that have appeared since then (underground stuff and giant mech stuff).

Opty on
  • Options
    malkothmalkoth Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I wish the reserves was still going on, my good friend and I had a blast playing last year. We were a menace with the magrider, even though we'd still get stomped on by the giant mechs. : P And even if holding various land marks didnt really mean anything it was always a thrill to be in the thick of it, inching forth, dodging behind cover etc...

i had a dream about this game a few nights ago, left me kind of nostalgic...

malkoth on
    "Be who you are, and say what you feel because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind." - Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Arcoslippy wrote: »
    Planetside was excellent during it's time. I was part of a special forces unit and we would make these stupidly suicidal galaxy drops into the only enemy tech plant on the continent and blow the generator. Then we would hold the generator for as long as possible while we scavanged supplies between counter-attacks on the generator. Man those were the best games ever, nothing nowadays comes close. If they were to bring out Planetside 2 I'd need to change my pants immediately.

Yeah, I was with a similar group that did stuff like this. We played as VS on Markov.

Working with those guys was one of the best gaming experiences of my entire life, even if I was a clueless newbie following the pack and desperately scrambling to follow orders as best I could.

Three of the officers in our outfit were ex-military who'd all done similar work in the real world, and when they were online and in command via teamspeak, it was...well, it's difficult to describe. Have you ever been in a situation where you're going up against hopeless odds, but you're laughing to yourself because you know you're going to succeed anyway? That's what rolling with this crew was like. Guaranteed success, every time, even though we were usually outnumbered three or four to one and there was no way in hell we should've beaten the odds.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    citizen059 wrote: »
    Yeah, I was with a similar group that did stuff like this. We played as VS on Markov.

Vanu's Knights?

falsedef on
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Back during the fodder thing, I mainly played as a stealth demolitions guy. Cloaking, the engineering kits, a pistol, and one of those cloaking bikes. I mainly either took over towers when no one was looking, or snuck behind enemies when fights were going on and planted mines and stuff.

One time, I was cloaked on my bike driving to an unguarded enemy base (while their forces were kept busy at a different base). There I was, driving down a dirt road, not an enemy in sight, when I SLAM into something, causing my bike to jump like 10 feet into the air. Confused as to why I just violently stopped in the middle of an empty road, I get off and activate my thermal sensor (or whatever the vision implant is). There, just as confused as I am, is an enemy on a bike. I had driven head first into another cloaked guy hoping to sneak into our base. Well it seemed like he was slightly more confused than I was, because I was able to quickly get my pistol out and shoot him. I then took his bike and continued on my way.

Dartboy on