As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[RP MUD] Journey Beyond the Threshold!

• Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Why can't I kill a chicken... I really don't think it gets lower then that.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I see that I am doing it wrong.. I have to do heritage training, then join a guild THEN go to the newbie areas to kill stuff..

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Try going to the newbie academy. From the Center of Town, it's W, N, W, enroll. It will teach you some of the basics of combat, and give you some equipment to use if you type "suit up". Make sure you read all the instructions - it's pretty easy to skip past some crucial text. And try the chicks, before you try the chickens. ;)

EDIT: And you're not doing it wrong, you need xp and slag to do the heritage training, which you'll get from killing the chicks/chickens/whatever else down at the farm. Just need to make sure that you have equipment, use your "newbie" spell, and run if you're close to death.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    lol I have been trying to flee...

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I have played a few other muds.. Is it normal that killing a mob be so hard? I have trained a few heritage levels and things still almost kill me.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Do you have gear from the newbie academy? Are you using your newbie spell?

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    defrag wrote: »
    Do you have gear from the newbie academy? Are you using your newbie spell?

Yeah I have gear from the newbie area and noble area.. Yes I am using my spell... I am heritage level 6 now.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I am now in the Mage Guild..

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    From here on out, things only get easier. You get a lot more powerful and combat gets a LOT easier. Keep at it down at the farm. I also really like the gingerbread cottage area north of the city, and there's plenty of easy things to fight there too. Try to solve the quests there... they don't give an actual xp reward, but they're fun as hell.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yeah it is getting much faster...

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I was just killed by a cat, and then a chicken, this shit is officially ridiculous.

Depressperado on
  • Options
    FrogdiceFrogdice ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    EliteLamer wrote: »
    awww I didn't see that this was Pay 2 Play :(

Nope. Threshold is free. You can play forever without paying.

Our business model is optional perks you can purchase, or microtransactions by purchasing "ThreshCredits." Nothing you can buy is needed to level up your character (and there are no caps to advancement that you have to pay to exceed). Also, we give away ThreshCredits as prizes in events in the game, so even if you cannot afford to buy them you can win them by participating in events.

Also: there are mages and sorcerors as classes (called guilds) you can play right off the bat. Templars and Necromancers are "advanced" spell casting classes that you can only join after level 10.

Frogdice on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I'm now in a guild and in a much better position to help any new players out if they need anything. Look for Verm around town if you do, or just stick to asking for help in heritage - the STEA people (an in-game organization whose many duties include helping newbies) are quite helpful as well.

Depressperado: Just follow all the advice I gave to Elite on the last page, and you should be fine. It might take a little while to get your skills up, but the newbie farm can breeze you through your heritage levels in no time at all. Get gear from the newbie academy, use your newbie spell as much as possible, and make sure to RUN AWAY if you're about to die. Running away is as easy as just moving in any other direction, but the monster (or cat, chicken, whatever) you're fighting will get some free shots in, so make sure you can take em. Also, the newbie farm is scattered with food, which will replenish your HP while you're fighting. Stick to the smaller, runtier animals at first. Mice, for example, are far easier than cats.

Go rest at the Green Griffon between battles. It's a great place to meet other people, probably the best place to get started on the (very important) rp aspect of the game.

Things can definitely be a bit daunting at first, but once you get the hang of it you'll breeze through it with no troubles.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    ScreamlineScreamline Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Frogdice wrote: »
    awww I didn't see that this was Pay 2 Play :(

Nope. Threshold is free. You can play forever without paying.

Our business model is optional perks you can purchase, or microtransactions by purchasing "ThreshCredits." Nothing you can buy is needed to level up your character (and there are no caps to advancement that you have to pay to exceed). Also, we give away ThreshCredits as prizes in events in the game, so even if you cannot afford to buy them you can win them by participating in events.

Also: there are mages and sorcerors as classes (called guilds) you can play right off the bat. Templars and Necromancers are "advanced" spell casting classes that you can only join after level 10.

So you don't need to register to play a bard? I think I read that in the helpfiles.

Also, Ros, I'll email you about my client woes when I get home and can give you all the details.

Screamline on
  • Options
    XzeanXzean Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm Xzeanelenan, the hopefully soon to be sorceror and from there to the necromancing. Haven't played a MUD in oh, say, 8 years, so could use any help if there is help to be had.

Xzean on
    9df14c6e1e43475d.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Xzean, you seem to have gotten the hang of it just fine.

I've been bumming around the sewers all day. Gross.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Once I finish this heritage crap and join my guild we should go do stuff together. I plan on power leveling to 10th so I can get to the sweet sweet necromancy.

Xzean on
    9df14c6e1e43475d.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I was just killed by a cat, and then a chicken, this shit is officially ridiculous.

Yeah it pissed me off for a while too and it seems to be really hard until you join a guild. Especially if you are going to be a casting class. Your stats suck for brute combat. But once you join a guild its much more fun.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think I may have finally gotten the hang of it. I realized you don't have to kill your opponent to get experience, and getting heritage got alot easier, haha.

leveling it up, hanging out in the Griffon.

One more heritage level, hell yeah.

Depressperado on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Is it against the muds rules to post our names here? Some muds don't want you to have contact with each other outside of the mud.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    So I really don't like that you drop all your stuff when you logout. Very strange.

Xzean on
    9df14c6e1e43475d.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    You do what with the huh what? that explains alot.

Depressperado on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Xzean wrote: »
    So I really don't like that you drop all your stuff when you logout. Very strange.

You have to store them.. When you join a guild they will explain how everything works to you.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So how strict are we talking here? As in "Whoops that was OOC" "BAN'T" strict or no "L2M for ____"?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Xzean wrote: »

You have to store them.. When you join a guild they will explain how everything works to you.

Yeah like I said, I don't like that at all.

Xzean on
    9df14c6e1e43475d.png
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So... I just started my guy and am currently hanging out in this little urchin den in the starting hall. Can I take the stuff that's just lying about?

Edit: Even more important question... how do I take stuff?

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Law, "get ____" and yes, you can.

Zombie: It's pretty strict. Nobody's going to crucify you for any OOC stuff right off the bat, but it's bad form.

Lots of MUDs don't have persistent gear saving. In this game you get two personal armory slots (check the adventurer's guild) and your guild armory. You'll figure it out.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Hell yeah, proud new baby Psion.

Depressperado on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    A Psion is the first character I ever played, and I still have rather fond memories of them.

Whatever their first real combat power is, I remember just loving the hell out of it. Plus they get so many neat utility abilities.

I'm going to add more to the OP and include a list of characters, so if you're playing and you haven't posted yours, do it.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    So I understand that you have to store stuff, and you can use guild stuff, but how do you keep and store your own things? I know you get two slots in the adventurer's guild, is that it forever unless you donate money? Your equipment is a big way you customize a character in a text game.

Xzean on
    9df14c6e1e43475d.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Well, a big part of Threshold is gearing yourself up. You should be prepared for it every time you log on, so keep a mental list of what monsters carry what items you need. Having a guild armory in Thrace and doing most of your adventuring in Sable is a pain, it's true, but once you get the hang of it, it shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I'm Naol the Psion.

Depressperado on
  • Options
    EllthiterenEllthiteren Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I tried this out for a bit over the past couple days. Seemed alright. Then I hit level 4 and discovered the death penalty - lose all xp toward the next level, and then one level as well. Not really my kind of game mechanic right there, since exploring at all is basically out of the question unless I decide to (a) stay level 3 or (b) hate myself. I'm aware of the risk v. reward arguments, including the RP ones, but for me they all fall into the "I'd have to hate myself to put up with that" category. But hey - for those of you staying, have fun, there are certainly some good RP opportunities available.

Ellthiteren on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yeah that is pretty damn harsh.

Also how the heck do I get the guy to let me donate 500 coin so I can get a stupid belt? I can't figure out what the game wants me to type.

Xzean on
    9df14c6e1e43475d.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Xzean, just type "y". I used to get a y/n prompt there, but a lot of the prompts that I used to get with RosMud, like that and shaking hands, no longer work.

Ell: I agree, the death penalty in this game is intense as fuck, and definitely not good for newcomers. On the other hand, it's not set in stone: Sometimes you lose a level, sometimes you don't. It's also supposed to encourage smart exploration, not just blindly throwing yourself off in some direction.

If you read help area examples, you'll get a pretty good idea of where you can head out at your level without much risk of not being able to run away.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    All the muds I have ever played have had harsh death pen..

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, it's more like D&D than it is like a MMORPG in terms of dying.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    This does get a lot easier once you join a guild.

Depressperado on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yeah. Don't forget to train your skills up, as you gain levels. It actually takes a TON of xp and coin to do, but it will make all the difference in the world.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Does it seem like muds are dying? I remember years ago I used to play muds that had 200 people in them all the time.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg