As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DS Wifi question

GunstarGunstar Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Games and Technology
Can you use the DS wifi in places like starbucks and panera that offer free wifi? I want to play against my friends but my internet here is way too unreliable (thanks comcast). I get DCd after a few minutes and I want to make my purchase of Pokemon DS and AW: DOR worth it.

greencall.gifredfist.gif
Xbox : gunst4r
Gunstar on

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Gunstar wrote: »
    Can you use the DS wifi in places like starbucks and panera that offer free wifi? I want to play against my friends but my internet here is way too unreliable (thanks comcast). I get DCd after a few minutes and I want to make my purchase of Pokemon DS and AW: DOR worth it.

It depends on the type of encryption they use, but generally, yes, you can.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Gunstar wrote: »

It depends on the type of encryption they use, but generally, yes, you can.

yeah, i know i can't use it at my university.

Gunstar on
    greencall.gifredfist.gif
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The problem with the free Wifi in a place like Panera is that you have to go through a splash screen before you can get online. Since you can't get to that splash screen from within a game, I don't think it would work.

Same goes for a T-mobile Hotspot within Starbucks, even if you're a paying member.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    BTP wrote: »

this helped, there's 2 places i frequent on that list so i'll try when i'm there

Gunstar on
    greencall.gifredfist.gif