As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Has your opinion changed about Nintendo's online plan?

KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Games and Technology
I didn't want to derail the Mario Kart thread further, so I'm throwing this topic, which I think is relevant as Brawl just came out, and it's the first taste of online on the Wii for many of us.

I for one have been completely turned off Nintendo's online, and rethinking any purchases that may have online based on my experience with Brawl. And I was one of the people always willing to give it a chance.
It's not even the lag that bothers me, since that's a technical issue I think any system would encounter. My problem is just how unwieldy everything is. Adding friends is a pain in the ass since you don't get one notification of someone adding you, so you have to coordinate things here in the forum, or real life.
Random play is even worse. It's so limited, and so inpersonal, that I may as well be playing the computer. And that's when it works. I think I connected like 4 times in all the times I tried.
Finally, there's the fact I been spoiled by live and even ps2 online. Voice chat, inviting friends, looking through lobbies, they're things I taken for granted in my online experience, and realize that I can't really do without.

So yeah, I think I'm going to be holding off Mario Kart (The next big online game) and will be waiting for reviews on any game that may have online before purchasing. How bout you guys?

Kyougu on
«134567

Posts

  • Options
    DysonDyson Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Wasn't surprised by Brawl, having played Strikers Charged. I knew it was awful, and it still is, awful. It needs a complete revamp. However it seems like that wont happen for the Wii-generation hopefully they copy at least Sony for their next console. (Name Tags, Voice, Lobbies, Matchmaking, etc)

    Dyson on
    GSP+11.png
  • Options
    SpikedFreakSpikedFreak Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Dyson wrote: »
    Wasn't surprised by Brawl, having played Strikers Charged. I knew it was awful, and it still is, awful. It needs a complete revamp. However it seems like that wont happen for the Wii-generation hopefully they copy at least Sony for their next console. (Name Tags, Voice, Lobbies, Matchmaking, etc)

    I don't think you can say they would be copying Sony if they used a universal name, voice chat, and lobbies. It's really the bare minimum now. Anything less would be stupid.

    SpikedFreak on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I didn't want to derail the Mario Kart thread further, so I'm throwing this topic, which I think is relevant as Brawl just came out, and it's the first taste of online on the Wii for many of us.

    I for one have been completely turned off Nintendo's online, and rethinking any purchases that may have online based on my experience with Brawl. And I was one of the people always willing to give it a chance.
    It's not even the lag that bothers me, since that's a technical issue I think any system would encounter. My problem is just how unwieldy everything is. Adding friends is a pain in the ass since you don't get one notification of someone adding you, so you have to coordinate things here in the forum, or real life.
    Random play is even worse. It's so limited, and so inpersonal, that I may as well be playing the computer. And that's when it works. I think I connected like 4 times in all the times I tried.
    Finally, there's the fact I been spoiled by live and even ps2 online. Voice chat, inviting friends, looking through lobbies, they're things I taken for granted in my online experience, and realize that I can't really do without.

    So yeah, I think I'm going to be holding off Mario Kart (The next big online game) and will be waiting for reviews on any game that may have online before purchasing. How bout you guys?

    The lag is annoying for smash, but the gameplay is there. That's what decides a purchase.

    TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    paco_pepepaco_pepe Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It baffles me how hard nintendo keeps failing on all things online, their system is completely contrary to their simplicity and ease of use philosopy.

    paco_pepe on
    Paco+Pepper.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I never even bothered trying to get Brawl online because I don't want to deal with Nintendo's brand of online bullshit to play with the PA crew. It breaks my heart really, seeing such an amazing game hobbled with a such a shitty multiplayer system. Le sigh.

    Zxerol on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Zxerol wrote: »
    I never even bothered trying to get Brawl online because I don't want to deal with Nintendo's brand of online bullshit to play with the PA crew. It breaks my heart really, seeing such an amazing game hobbled with a such a shitty multiplayer system. Le sigh.

    interesting you should be used to this on PCs. Incorrect patches of servers, custom content on servers that need to be downloaded often with broken auto-downloading (or none!), some admins are downright horrible. Granted some games have begun to address this stuff (auto-patching).

    I play PC games a lot, I have been through it.

    TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Friend codes, I can deal with. Having to coordinate the exchange "offline" (which is to say, elsewhere, forcing me to know them from somewhere else even if it's just a forum) I can deal with. Poor matchmacking/game setup? I'll put up with it. No voice? I'll manage. Having per-game friend codes, so that every time I buy a new online game I have to go through the same fucking rigmarole I already dealt with on the last game, just to deal with what was already a substandard experience?

    Fuck that noise.

    There's only so hard I'm willing to work to let somebody punch me in the nuts.

    mcdermott on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Dammit, Nintendo needs Steam.

    Brolo on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2008
    It's not terrible when playing with friends. Friend Codes is akin to everyone having a long, crappy Gamertag and weird things like forbidding custom stages suck, but the setup is otherwise workable. Their random play sucks a whole bag of poisonous dongs.

    Their pay-to-play plan is going to be interesting to hear about. This is an opportunity to turn things around or crash and burn. People will NOT tolerate paying for Friend Codes and such shit.

    Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2008
    Zxerol wrote: »
    It breaks my heart really, seeing such an amazing game hobbled with a such a shitty multiplayer system. Le sigh.
    The game actually has one of the best offline setups I've seen in recent time. A rotation system for large groups, profiles for custom controls and a decent tournament mode.

    Once you hit the internet, it's all downhil.

    Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I don't see any point in playing online games were I have no keyboard or mic.

    When I think about Nintendo's online service this image always comes to mind.

    tincanstringdy6.jpg

    But then, really, they fail at even that basic level of communication.

    Accualt on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    I don't see any point in playing online games were I have no keyboard or mic.

    When I think about Nintendo's online service this image always comes to mind.

    tincanstringdy6.jpg

    But then, really, they fail at even that basic level of communication.

    so you are more about talking then gameplay? seems a bit strange.

    TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    When I think of Nintendo WFC... really all that comes to mind is Smash Bros online is better than no online at all. Also the phrase "you get what you pay for." It is free, after all.

    The most irritating thing is the friend codes. Outside of that, I don't really think the Nintendo WFC really needs all the bells and whistles like voice chat and whatnot. It just needs to be not a pain in the ass.

    AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Zxerol wrote: »
    It breaks my heart really, seeing such an amazing game hobbled with a such a shitty multiplayer system. Le sigh.
    The game actually has one of the best offline setups I've seen in recent time. A rotation system for large groups, profiles for custom controls and a decent tournament mode.

    Once you hit the internet, it's all downhil.

    Yeah? Then maybe I'll go through and mangle with some Friends Codes (egh) and see how it is. Hopefully, I won't have to destroy my ISA server to get the Wii's internets working right.

    Zxerol on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    1) Stop buying games for online modes because it's a stupid idea. What are you going to do when they shut it off? Now you have a worthless game.

    2) Realize that Nintendo's service is a) FREE and in Smash it's like 1% of the time you'll actually be in online mode. If you want more, pay for Live.

    3) Realize that pretty much only Halo 2 and Halo 3 have usable online interfaces and every game fails in comparison to their implementation so you should pretty much deal with it until developers start using the party system and not failing at it.

    4) After playing on Xbox Live for about 4 years, no voice in Smash is a damn godsend. All anyone uses it for is trashtalking.

    FyreWulff on
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Nearly all the problems stem from Nintendo's overly paranoid Safety-Oriented philosophy. No voice chat, because Little Jimmy might hear a swear word! (never mind the fact that I've played on XBox Live. 99% of the time, the swears are coming from Little Jimmy.) Friend Codes too that need to be traded outside the game, because otherwise cyber-stalking child rapists will get him! Random matching, again the best way to keep Jimmy safe is to remove almost all interaction with other people.

    It's like they listened to Jack Thompson.

    I don't think Nintendo's not aware of the other (read: good) ways of handling online, they just really believe that what they're doing is the best option for maintaining the family-friendly atmosphere they've got going, and that the functionality sacrifices are worth the trade off.

    Dartboy on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Dartboy wrote: »
    Nearly all the problems stem from Nintendo's overly paranoid Safety-Oriented philosophy. No voice chat, because Little Jimmy might hear a swear word! (never mind the fact that I've played on XBox Live. 99% of the time, the swears are coming from Little Jimmy.) Friend Codes too that need to be traded outside the game, because otherwise cyber-stalking child rapists will get him! Random matching, again the best way to keep Jimmy safe is to remove almost all interaction with other people.

    It's like they listened to Jack Thompson.

    I don't think Nintendo's not aware of the other (read: good) ways of handling online, they just really believe that what they're doing is the best option for maintaining the family-friendly atmosphere they've got going, and that the functionality sacrifices are worth the trade off.

    I think people overlook one thing. Why is Nintendo the only company that has that stupid warning message before all their games now? Because some moron sued them about their child getting seizures (even though it is all over the box and in the manuals). From what I have seen over the years, they have gotten a lot of these lawsuits thrown at them and have had to make so many adjustments to accommodate these people. I think the same applies here. Although, that still doesn't explain why wii system code isn't just used as a universal code (it only applies to messages and wiiconnect24 utilizations).

    TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2008
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Zxerol wrote: »
    It breaks my heart really, seeing such an amazing game hobbled with a such a shitty multiplayer system. Le sigh.
    The game actually has one of the best offline setups I've seen in recent time. A rotation system for large groups, profiles for custom controls and a decent tournament mode.

    Once you hit the internet, it's all downhil.

    Yeah? Then maybe I'll go through and mangle with some Friends Codes (egh) and see how it is. Hopefully, I won't have to destroy my ISA server to get the Wii's internets working right.
    I said "Offline". The online is fine once you get around the Friend Code Crap.

    Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    1) Stop buying games for online modes because it's a stupid idea. What are you going to do when they shut it off? Now you have a worthless game.

    2) Realize that Nintendo's service is a) FREE and in Smash it's like 1% of the time you'll actually be in online mode. If you want more, pay for Live.

    3) Realize that pretty much only Halo 2 and Halo 3 have usable online interfaces and every game fails in comparison to their implementation so you should pretty much deal with it until developers start using the party system and not failing at it.

    Ugh.

    Brolo on
  • Options
    JedimastaJedimasta Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Thanks for the new topic. I felt bad about bringin this up in the MK thread, but it really does affect my buying decision. It's a great dream and all that Nintendo wants to bring the masses together physically side by side, but as a video game company there are certain expectations to be met when foraying into online gameplay, and this just don't cut it.

    I'm not about to give up my Wii. I'm still playing bowling after all this time, I'm workin on the last 15 stars of Mario Galaxy and doin all I can to unlock friggin Wolf in Smash Bros. The sad fact though is my experience with Brawl's online play leaves me with such low expectations for future titles that I'm more akin to thinking twice before buying a game whose primary draw would be the online play. In the case of a new Mario Kart, adding new characters and a few maps really doesn't pull me in. Online playability normally would.

    I'm a seasoned gamer, turned amateur reviewer, so I think I can tell when an element has been slapped onto a title and that's exactly what net play in Brawl feels like. As was said before, I can live without voice and I can understand *some* connectivity issues at launch, but to require yet ANOTHER multi-digit nonsensical number in order to add a friend is just lazy. You've already implemented a friend system, make use of it!

    Furthermore, if you're going to announce some kind of pay-per-play tier system with regard to online multiplayer, you better damn well make sure you've actually got a quality product people are willing to pay for. If tomorrow Reggie came out and said they would charge for the ability to play online, even if it were 2 bucks a month, I wouldn't bother. There's zero incentive.

    Then again, I always end up writing that stuff off as a business expense...but still, my point is valid.

    Jedimasta on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    1) Stop buying games for online modes because it's a stupid idea. What are you going to do when they shut it off? Now you have a worthless game.

    2) Realize that Nintendo's service is a) FREE and in Smash it's like 1% of the time you'll actually be in online mode. If you want more, pay for Live.

    3) Realize that pretty much only Halo 2 and Halo 3 have usable online interfaces and every game fails in comparison to their implementation so you should pretty much deal with it until developers start using the party system and not failing at it.

    4) After playing on Xbox Live for about 4 years, no voice in Smash is a damn godsend. All anyone uses it for is trashtalking.

    1) I bought tons of games due to their online modes, and have gotten tons of enjoyment out of them. I love playing online with my friends, it's the closestI can get to reliving old time with all of us in the couch.

    2) PS2 and PS3's services are free too, and are still better than this.

    3) No. Halo 2 and 3 have exemplary online interfaces. I'm not wanting that. I'm just desiring serviceble ones.

    4) I enjoy voice chat. I would at least like to have the option.

    Kyougu on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    You have to remember that since Nintendo = Videogames, people like to sue them. A lot. Even when they've already covered their ass in places. For example, ever since the NES they had the seizure warnings in the manuals. But some dick lawyer sued them over not warning that seizures could occur, hence the warnings when you start up the DS and the Wii (and later GC games).

    There's also the fact that not having accounts saves them a lot of money as they don't have to pay techs or a call center to handle account problems. Friend Codes allow them to not run an authenication server, saving even more money. Hey, it's free.

    It's honestly not a safety issue - the safety side is just a nice bonus. It's really "hey, people wanted free, they're going to get free. kthnxbye".

    There's also the issue that VOIP is not cheap bandwidth wise. Hell, even in Halo 3 they disable being able to hear/talk to the other team via proxy voice in ranked games to reduce lag, and in ranked Free For All voice is completely disabled.

    FyreWulff on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    1) Stop buying games for online modes because it's a stupid idea. What are you going to do when they shut it off? Now you have a worthless game.
    Online in most games outlast the players' interest. And with programs like Hamachi, you can never "shut it off".
    2) Realize that Nintendo's service is a) FREE and in Smash it's like 1% of the time you'll actually be in online mode. If you want more, pay for Live.
    Starcraft, a game that is nearly a decade old, has vastly superior and FREE online. So do countless other games I own. This is part of competition. Nintendo isn't even delivering service on par with what others give away. Why the hell we would pay them more?
    3) Realize that pretty much only Halo 2 and Halo 3 have usable online interfaces and every game fails in comparison to their implementation so you should pretty much deal with it until developers start using the party system and not failing at it.
    Define "usable online interface".
    4) After playing on Xbox Live for about 4 years, no voice in Smash is a damn godsend. All anyone uses it for is trashtalking.
    I'd rather have to deal with the terrible burden of muting people so I could communicate with my friends and strangers that aren't cocks.

    Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    Starcraft's online is free. It's also infested with cheaters and all they're pretty much running is an IRC server, since you host the games and private chat rooms off your own connection. Also, if you don't log in enough, they delete your account.

    Live actually lets you report people for cheating and they actually get banned and don't come back

    FyreWulff on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Starcraft's online is free. It's also infested with cheaters and all they're pretty much running is an IRC server, since you host the games and private chat rooms off your own connection. Also, if you don't log in enough, they delete your account.

    Live actually lets you report people for cheating and they actually get banned and don't come back

    What about PS2 and PS3 online? They're free, and perfectly serviceable.

    Kyougu on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    They really need to work on detecting cheaters in Starcraft II.

    DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    LukinLukin Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I spent a couple hours playing online the other day, and it was fine. It wasn't as buttery smooth as say, COD4, but it's not like it caused me physical pain to add a few friend codes and check my friend roster ocasionally to see if anybody's looking for a match.

    Lukin on
    cancer.jpg
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Starcraft's online is free. It's also infested with cheaters and all they're pretty much running is an IRC server, since you host the games and private chat rooms off your own connection. Also, if you don't log in enough, they delete your account.

    Live actually lets you report people for cheating and they actually get banned and don't come back
    And there's no cheaters when playing Nintendo online? Let me answer that for you: yes, there are cheaters and exploiters.

    And you can report cheating that occurs in Starcraft. Took me hardly any time to find this.

    Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    JedimastaJedimasta Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    1) Stop buying games for online modes because it's a stupid idea. What are you going to do when they shut it off? Now you have a worthless game.

    2) Realize that Nintendo's service is a) FREE and in Smash it's like 1% of the time you'll actually be in online mode. If you want more, pay for Live.

    3) Realize that pretty much only Halo 2 and Halo 3 have usable online interfaces and every game fails in comparison to their implementation so you should pretty much deal with it until developers start using the party system and not failing at it.

    4) After playing on Xbox Live for about 4 years, no voice in Smash is a damn godsend. All anyone uses it for is trashtalking.

    You're kidding right? Surely. At the risk of feeding the troll, dude, you're living in a hole.

    1) Online playability is a major factor in any game marketed as multiplayer. For my money, a title has to have one hell of an outstanding story, graphics and gameplay for me to consider its purchase if it lacks multiplayer, on or offline. Online has been important since Quake. (God, did I just date myself?).

    2) Realize that Smash Bros is unique. A 'casual' style fighter that's never had an online equal. It screams online capabilities and I'd likely wager that without the online promise, it wouldn't have sold 1.4 million copies.

    3) Get over Halo. I loves me my Master Chief as much as the next gamer, but dozens of other highly successful online games have implemented excellent matchmaking and 'party' style online matches. Xbox live games are shining examples, as are COD, Burnout, any given Tom Clancy game, hell even Lego Star Wars. Try stepping away from Bungie for two minutes to see just how sheltered you are.

    4) See point 3. Granted, voice communication can suck. Theres a black sheep in every crowd, either in the form of an 8 year old that talks like a 95 year old drunken New York cabbie or the stoner who uses chat as his own personal American Idol. Still, there would be no team games without voice comm. No coordination, no strategy. You might as well be playing free for all. Voice comm is integral and it's only a matter of time before Nintendo really sees through their self imposed shelter and reels backwards to get it working on their system.

    Jedimasta on
  • Options
    manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Sometimes I wonder if this stems simply from Japanese culture, for some reason I keep thinking the Japan is really just not into online play and Nintendo of America hasn't bothered to make changes. Can anyone confirm this or am I spouting Bullshit like I think I am.

    Of course it's also to cover their asses and keep their 'family-friendly' persona. People can get up in arms over the smallest thing(Pictochat lols, obviously an extreme example but yeah.)

    manaleak34 on
    XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The way it's designed is pretty much exactly how I deal with online interactions for the most part. With Live for instance, every single person on my friends list is someone that I intimately know in some form or another, be it physical friend, online friend, WoW guildie, and so on. I have zero interest in being friends with H@L0R0xx5 or any other random person I meet online or even communicate to them (depending on the type of game being played though). This is the same stance I use with friend codes. I exchange them with my group of friends that also have the game.

    Basically, Nintendo's system is set up with the assumption that you only want to play intimately with your friends online, instead of making connections with strangers online like via Xbox Live. This is how I use it, and as such, it really does not bother me. It seems most people prefer the latter though, and in that case, it does fall completely flat.

    The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    When I think of Nintendo WFC... really all that comes to mind is Smash Bros online is better than no online at all. Also the phrase "you get what you pay for." It is free, after all.

    I don't really think that's fair. Even a slight amount of lag makes Smash Bros somewhat unplayable online in any serious sense, and thus it's an experience that simply isn't up to the level of quality that Nintendo pretty much guarantees with a big release like Brawl. You can't really justify it with "it's free so it's okay if it's kind of shitty;" with a game like SSBB, I would gladly consider a small fee to get a really solid, feature-rich online experience. As it stands, I'm not really provided a viable online multiplayer option, which is becoming unacceptable in the world of Halo 3 and what not. Hell, Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence had a much better online system on the PS2 when it came out two years ago. The fact of the matter is, people want online play, and Nintendo should not be gimping it in the name of a "family-friendly" experience or simply because they think that it's not important. And it's not just about Smash Bros, either; DS wi-fi play is just as much of a pain in the ass. It's disorganized, and there's hardly any incentive to do it when it means punching in friend codes that may not even matter to you in a month or so. The one exception I can think of is Pokemon Diamond and Pearl, which managed voice chat and some really solid multiplayer options, and not all of them required friend codes.

    I mean, it's nice that, even if shitty, the option is there and it's free, but in the end, it's not really enough with the 360, PS3, and PSP providing the competition.

    Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    JedimastaJedimasta Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    manaleak34 wrote: »
    Sometimes I wonder if this stems simply from Japanese culture, for some reason I keep thinking the Japan is really just not into online play and Nintendo of America hasn't bothered to make changes. Can anyone confirm this or am I spouting Bullshit like I think I am.

    Of course it's also to cover their asses and keep their 'family-friendly' persona. People can get up in arms over the smallest thing(Pictochat lols, obviously an extreme example but yeah.)

    To a degree, you're right. As compared to the U.S. the percentage of owners to internet players (console-wise) in Japan is pretty low. Still, the study I read showed that about 55% of Wii owners connect online to purchase games and browse the net for their freaky porn. About 49% of Japanese 360 owners connect to the net to play online.

    Like I said, nothing compared to the U.S., at least I'm assuming. That said though, those are still some healthy percentages, certainly nothing for the Big N to balk at.

    Jedimasta on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    People are always going to compare Microsoft's heavy funded infrastructure they could only make because they're motherfucking Microsoft and had a headstart to Nintendo's relatively cheaply funded infrastructure and complain. Nevermind that Nintendo, when they were setting up Nintendo WFC, were at the bottom of the totem pole hoping they'd maybe possibly get second place this time. Nevermind that Microsoft and Sony have other arms to help float any losses and that they're willing to have advertisements from not only their other arms but other companies as well to make even more money. Nevermind that PC-bases infrastructures can't fairly be compared to console ones due to the openness of PCs.

    Nintendo's service is for playing with friends. Not for finding friends, playing with them. Nothing's going to change within this span of consoles either, for better (stop wishing for download content or patching godammit) or for worse (stop fucking thinking the pay-to-play's going to apply to friend codes). WFC is a bare bones, cheap as possible system that Nintendo put together when the outlook on their business was grim and so they didn't dare waste money on something at most 25% (that's being generous) of the user base would use.

    Also, as others have mentioned, Nintendo gets fucking reamed whenever anything bad happens anywhere close to them. Seizure lawsuit, Pictochat will molest your children scare, Wiimote-through-TV bullshit, you name it. Microsoft and Sony get away scott free compared to Nintendo. For example, imagine if that Xbox Live stalker was using a Nintendo service (assuming said service was Live quality) instead? Nintendo would have been roasted by the media with cries of "think of our children" and other bullshittery. This is because they're a "family" company whereas Microsoft's a faceless monolith and Live's portrayed as college kids' domain and if they do things that are bad people shrug it off because, hey, it's just Microsoft being evil again.

    Opty on
  • Options
    UltrachristUltrachrist Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    My opinion has not changed because before brawl came out or MK's release date was announced, I already knew the online for both of them was going to be terrible due to previous titles and reading about SSB on the dojo.

    I did read an interview on IGN with Sakurai saying he envisioned SSB online to have voice chat (the lacking feature that bothers me most) between friends but found that it wouldn't work with Nintendo policies. If some devs want it, I hope that could influence Nintendo later on.

    Ultrachrist on
    ultrachrist2.png
  • Options
    JedimastaJedimasta Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Opty, I think part of the reason Nintendo is the industry's scape-goat is because over the years their name has become synonymous with video gaming. Like Kleenex is to facial tissue and Coke is to the cola-flavored soft drink, so many of the non-gamer generation ignorant of the brands and what they bring to the table instantly refer to all video games as being 'Nintendo'.

    How many times have you heard a parent say that their children are playing Nintendo, when in actuality they're on an xbox or other console? I hear it a lot.

    Even so, to compete for the same market share, family friendly outlook or not, they've got to offer comparable products. A lot of what you're saying makes sense, but Nintendo has money to burn too. The DS is a perfect example of risk taken by the company. There was a time when Nintendo was THE benchmark to which all gaming consoles and titles were raised up to. They didn't get that way by being scared to spend gobs of money on new technology (coughVirtualBoycough). And we're not even talking about new tech. I doubt there's a significant risk. The success has been proven dozens of times over, online play is where it's at. Voice chat is where it's at. Gamers want to connect online and in the same living room.

    Jedimasta on
  • Options
    bloodwingsbloodwings Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Opty wrote: »
    People are always going to compare Microsoft's heavy funded infrastructure they could only make because they're motherfucking Microsoft and had a headstart to Nintendo's relatively cheaply funded infrastructure and complain. Nevermind that Nintendo, when they were setting up Nintendo WFC, were at the bottom of the totem pole hoping they'd maybe possibly get second place this time. Nevermind that Microsoft and Sony have other arms to help float any losses and that they're willing to have advertisements from not only their other arms but other companies as well to make even more money. Nevermind that PC-bases infrastructures can't fairly be compared to console ones due to the openness of PCs.

    Nintendo's service is for playing with friends. Not for finding friends, playing with them. Nothing's going to change within this span of consoles either, for better (stop wishing for download content or patching godammit) or for worse (stop fucking thinking the pay-to-play's going to apply to friend codes). WFC is a bare bones, cheap as possible system that Nintendo put together when the outlook on their business was grim and so they didn't dare waste money on something at most 25% (that's being generous) of the user base would use.

    Also, as others have mentioned, Nintendo gets fucking reamed whenever anything bad happens anywhere close to them. Seizure lawsuit, Pictochat will molest your children scare, Wiimote-through-TV bullshit, you name it. Microsoft and Sony get away scott free compared to Nintendo. For example, imagine if that Xbox Live stalker was using a Nintendo service (assuming said service was Live quality) instead? Nintendo would have been roasted by the media with cries of "think of our children" and other bullshittery. This is because they're a "family" company whereas Microsoft's a faceless monolith and Live's portrayed as college kids' domain and if they do things that are bad people shrug it off because, hey, it's just Microsoft being evil again.

    win.

    bloodwings on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    They really need to work on detecting cheaters in Starcraft II.

    Something tells me their experience with WoW will have a huge impact on SCII's online play. I expect nothing but good things.

    Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Since the title asked for my opinion I'll say I'm completely satisfied with it. Then again I don't want to play with strangers or people I know from MMOs or even this forum. I just play with friends which makes it relatively painless.

    I can complete see why other people who don't fit into this very specific category are upset.

    Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I've not encountered online for the Wii yet, but it wouldn't ever stop me buying any of the games because none of them are 100% online play, they are meant to played alone, with friends on same console, or online.

    Snare on
Sign In or Register to comment.