As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Life is some amazing shit

123457»

• Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    I saw a whole school of cuttlefish when I went snorkeling. They are the cutest things :D

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The Cat wrote: »
    I saw a whole school of cuttlefish when I went snorkeling. They are the cutest things :D

Cuttling about.

Now I think of it, given where you are in Australia you could go and find some blue ringed octopuses if you felt like it. This would seem to be somewhat detrimental to ones health though.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    They're not real aggro unless you poke them. They pretty much just sit there and pulse resentfully.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Aegeri wrote: »

Cuttling about.

Now I think of it, given where you are in Australia you could go and find some blue ringed octopuses if you felt like it. This would seem to be somewhat detrimental to ones health though.
    You basically stop breathing for 10 minutes and have to be given mouth to mouth for that long.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    They're not real aggro unless you poke them. They pretty much just sit there and pulse resentfully.

I've heard that poisonous animals in Australia attack on the drop of a hat!

I've been lied to.
    You basically stop breathing for 10 minutes and have to be given mouth to mouth for that long

Sounds erotic.

Edit: Oh man, I'm totally going to go on a poisonous invertebrate tangent about the wonders of Australian spiders, scorpions and all the other wonders.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    when cuttlefish attack!

actually it's just going after the shiny flashlight. They're pretty cute critters.

Veegeezee on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Veegeezee wrote: »
    when cuttlefish attack!

actually it's just going after the shiny flashlight. They're pretty cute critters.

awww, it just wanted a hug!

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I've actually not heard of many attacks from cephalopods that have resulted in deaths. I do know that one of the worst things that can happen to a diver is a giant octopus becoming too frisky with your facemask. It can be very difficult to get those tentacles off (they are insanely powerful) and they'll easily rip off a rebreather and face mask.

I'm not sure about punching it in the face as a strategy.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Cuttlefish are awesome. I got to do a 10 minute presentation on them for my Oceanography class, once. The prof said it was the best she'd seen all year. Irrefutable proof that cuttlefish = the best.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Cuttlefish was always the best choice in Odell Down Under.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Oceans are the most terrifying thing on this world. There are things there that make the most badass land animal look like a fucking carebear. I'm deathly afraid of all of them.

And you know what is the worst thing about oceans?

world

We are completely surrounded by them. There is no escape. Eventually the oceans will get you.

whimper

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2008
    Qingu wrote: »
    I fucking hate octopi. As a vertebrate, I hate all invertebrates and I see the octopus as the elite of the invertebrate clan, and thus a worthy but abominable arch-enemy.

There is always that case of the Giant Pacific Octopus, which got out of its tank

Given the context I read that as "giant pacifist octopus" and was all "man, an octopus in a tank doesn't sound like a pacifist.

Echo on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I've actually not heard of many attacks from cephalopods that have resulted in deaths. I do know that one of the worst things that can happen to a diver is a giant octopus becoming too frisky with your facemask. It can be very difficult to get those tentacles off (they are insanely powerful) and they'll easily rip off a rebreather and face mask.

Poke it in the eye. That'll get it off you real fast, believe you me.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I also fear large bodies of water.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    I remember back when Discovery (or Animal Planet) did that series where they presented what they thought Earth might look like in a few million years if we just up and disappeared. They decided that cephalopods would inherit the Earth as the dominant clade. They had giant land octopuses and small, ape-like, tool using tree-squids. I figure they didn't follow it to it's logical, Lovecraftian conclusion because it would be too frightening.

I could totally see them succeeding us, though.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I remember back when Discovery (or Animal Planet) did that series where they presented what they thought Earth might look like in a few million years if we just up and disappeared. They decided that cephalopods would inherit the Earth as the dominant clade. They had giant land octopuses and small, ape-like, tool using tree-squids. I figure they didn't follow it to it's logical, Lovecraftian conclusion because it would be too frightening.

Although Lovecraft predicted that the earth would be dominated by giant furry roaches during the second Ice age.

Which is a bit less likely since Roaches are tropical creatures and don't easily adapt to the cold.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Oh man. I'm very uncomfortable when in water where I can't see the bottom. That's what you get for watching all the goddamn documentaries about sharks and all the creepy shit in the bottom of the ocean before you even started school.

I do have to say that octopuses are pretty great design-wise, with the tentacles and all the crazy stunts they're capable of.

Also, Sperm whales eat giant squid. It's pretty interesting.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    Oh man. I'm very uncomfortable when in water where I can't see the bottom. That's what you get for watching all the goddamn documentaries about sharks and all the creepy shit in the bottom of the ocean before you even started school.

I do have to say that octopuses are pretty great design-wise, with the tentacles and all the crazy stunts they're capable of.

Also, Sperm whales eat giant squid. It's pretty interesting.

The bolded part. When I'm out in deep water I tend not to want to let my feet hang down for exactly this reason.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Holy Crap. Cephalopods terrify me. These just beat out millipedes as my most feared creature.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008

umm... not what you're thinking of, but I was under the impression blue ring(or something like that) octopus are one of the many things that can kill you down under, and fit firmly into the category of cephalopods.

little fuckers, but they carry some sort of nasty pathogen. Not sure how much it counts as an 'attack'.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    redx wrote: »

umm... not what you're thinking of, but I was under the impression blue ring(or something like that) octopus are one of the many things that can kill you down under, and fit firmly into the category of cephalopods.

little fuckers, but they carry some sort of nasty pathogen. Not sure how much it counts as an 'attack'.

They carry deadly venom (roughly the same strength as the awesomely named Pfeffer's Flamboyant Cuttlefish, according to wikipedia), but don't generally attack humans unless provoked.

Tarantio on
  • Options
    whitey9whitey9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    If another species is to ever overtake our own, it will be from the cephalopod family. Welcome our new wiggly overlords.

whitey9 on
    llcoolwhitey.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    redx wrote: »

Their bite has extremely dangerous venom (it's a neurotoxin, fun eh?) and generally live in things like cans and shells. People get bitten by pure accident or from stupidity more than anything else.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    whitey9 wrote: »
    If another species is to ever overtake our own, it will be from the cephalopod family. Welcome our new wiggly overlords.

Japan is way ahead of you. :winky:

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Buddy LeeBuddy Lee Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You know, I'm really glad that there are no predators that find humans extremely tasty. It seems like humans just taste really really bad.

Unless I'm mistaken. I've never tasted a human before.

Buddy Lee on
    Join Penny-Arcaders in EPL Fantasy Futbol! Click to see details.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/my-leagues/

The join code for the CLASSIC league: 214755-65927

The join code for the HEAD-TO-HEAD league: 5294-3346
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Buddy Lee wrote: »
    You know, I'm really glad that there are no predators that find humans extremely tasty. It seems like humans just taste really really bad.

We taste like a sweet pork.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    How would we get to hear about cephalopod-induced deaths? They'd eat all the witnesses.

I could totally see them succeeding us, though.

There's a good Stephan Baxter novel (might be short story in fact) that looks at this. One of his novels has a space mission where NASA uses a squid (cleverer than a monkey at certain things, plus tentacles!) on a suicide mission to investigate Cruithne; when the mission is completed, the squid uses the leftover parts to build itself a habitat there. 'Tis good.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008

I'm surprised that African big-game hunters like lions and cheetahs aren't more keen on human meat, as we would've been available to them for a long time. Then again, I guess there has been a few reports of man-eating lions, but not nearly as many as you'd think. Maybe we just killed off all the ones that had any interest in eating us.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • Options
    BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

This has been my exper-
    ...is what I've heard as well.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    If you really want to try something absolutely terrifying. Walk through the ocean at night. Alone. Submerge yourself about to your waist or so and walk along the shoreline. . .then think about what could be out there.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FarseerBaradasFarseerBaradas Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I'm surprised that African big-game hunters like lions and cheetahs aren't more keen on human meat, as we would've been available to them for a long time. Then again, I guess there has been a few reports of man-eating lions, but not nearly as many as you'd think. Maybe we just killed off all the ones that had any interest in eating us.

Pretty much.

They have a lot of experience learning to not hunt humans, as we will stab them. We're crazy like that, we like to stab things.

FarseerBaradas on
    sigeb2.png
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I think I remember hearing (maybe in a movie?) that once a lion eats a human, it'll often acquire a taste for them, and come back for more.

It kinda makes sense, from the animal's perspective. Humans don't generally interact too much with wild animals, we stay in our towns and homes, with all our noisy and scary machinery... so your average animal on the serengeti isn't going to know what to make of a human, and will run away. But if one happens to catch one of us, the myth is gone. As the crocodiles said, "no fur, claws, horns, antlers or nothin'. Just soft and pink."

And no, we generally don't take too kindly to animals that hunt us. Just the fact that we don't usually try to hide/run away is probably freaky enough to them, and we're pretty effective predators when we put our minds to it, as well. Oh, and we have control of fire.

Tarantio on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Animals like lions and cheetahs have co-evolved with humans over the years. Humans do things like gather in large social groups and have large, pointed objects like sticks and have access to fire. This means that if you're the average lion, attacking people is going to actually be pretty dangerous and you soon learn to avoid attacking groups of humans. Especially as humans have a habit of holding grudges.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Animals like lions and cheetahs have co-evolved with humans over the years. Humans do things like gather in large social groups and have large, pointed objects like sticks and have access to fire. This means that if you're the average lion, attacking people is going to actually be pretty dangerous and you soon learn to avoid attacking groups of humans. Especially as humans have a habit of holding grudges.
    Tigers hold grudges. In Russia a guy shot a Tiger, didn't kill it, and so the Tiger waited around for 4 days then killed him.

That's a pretty bad ass Tiger.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Tarantio wrote: »
    Just the fact that we don't usually try to hide/run away is probably freaky enough to them-

I wonder if the lion's thought process goes "Huh, it's not even running away from my mighty strength and speed. ..He must be bad-ass" and then they trundle away.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Humanity is leadership 10 with unbreakable.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Tigers hold grudges. In Russia a guy shot a Tiger, didn't kill it, and so the Tiger waited around for 4 days then killed him.

Human grudges sometimes end up just short of genocide. "A wolf attacked a child you say? Well, we shall kill all the wolves in a hundred mile radius then."

Besides, any animals that are in contact with humans learn very quickly to avoid us, because we usually end up killing them even when it's not intentional (roadkill lololol). Woe to that animal that actually gets people riled up enough to start hunting it.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    whitey9 wrote: »

Japan is way ahead of you. :winky:

I'm just going to pretend that that's a joke about their cuisine.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Not so much bad-ass as Russian.

Everything in Russia will hold a grudge if you give it cause, even the goddamn trees.
    Apparently it's something in the water.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    On the off-chance someone is as constantly amazed by this as I am:

n0009nf4.jpg

That is a motherfucking whale leg. A whale. Leg.

I've known about atavism for a while - those genetic throwbacks where some part of an animal's evolutionary history will pop back up, like humans growing tails and shit, but to actually see something like this just astonishes me. It's a fucking whale leg for Christ's sake.
    The full bone is 31 inches long and this dude was found in 1921.

SpongeCake on