As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

End War, it's like WiC but rubbish

RookRook Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Games and Technology
common_ew_logo_0.jpg

Coming to 360 & PC 2008 trailer screens

So Ubi is branching out into the ever growing RTS on a console category (C&C3, Red Alert 3, Supreme Commander, BFMEI+II, UaW, WiC, HaloWars etc). As is typical to the Tom Clancy franchise there's some techno babble nuclear bullshit getting in the way of a decent story (it involves space marines and I'm not making that up). But if there's one saving grace that might make this game work where others have floundered it's the control scheme. Hoping to eliminate the problems with the interface, End War is adding a voice recognition element (BLUE - BLUEEEEE - BLUUUUU - BLU) to the mix.

Graphics wise it seems that the game suffers from the dual problems of overly optimistic bullshots, combined with the Unreal 3 engine that is ultimately proving to be both lacklustre compared to the competition, and producing a lot of games that look the same, but still, they're going for an increased level of detail than most other RTS games will ever dream off with their lofty godlike views.

tom-clancys-endwar-20070509060033101_640w.jpg

As is becoming typical, the Frag Dolls show off the game in a style that's bordering above creepy game designers but still a long way below glossy haired dreamboats. You can view the video courtesy of game trailers
here.

tom-clancys-endwar-20070820040405937_640w.jpg

Overall, it looks like a very similar game to world in conflict, except a bit rubbish when you see it in action. The one area that End War could really shine in though is in the multiplayer. WiC managed to pull off the counterstrike style drop-in drop-out rounds very well, but always felt very inconsequential with little to draw you back, if End War can marry that accesibility to a dynamically shifting global scale territorial struggle where each player has their own character and is responsible for shifts in frontlines then it could prove to be a great community game.

endwar-real-time-armageddon-20070522062856726_640w.jpg

So, feel free to talk about end-war, rts, or just bitch about the frag dolls :)

Rook on

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I guess...it could be okay. If the voice recognition works out well it could be neat.
    RTS's on the consoles scare me however, well except for that little gem called Starcraft 64 that shit was awesome!

Dixon on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It's kinda hard to see how a game plays out from this video, but since they said the game can be entirely played with voice commands I assume this game will focus much more on the macro aspect of RTS than micro. Being a console RTS it's probably better that way.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Eurogamer seemed to enjoy their time with it a month or two back.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    PredatorPredator __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    too many RTS' are coming to console, which in effect dumbs them down.
    please think of the children.

Predator on
    1330my4.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I kinda prefer it if franchises have their time to pasture on the console for a bit, it at least forces people to think in a new way about things rather than rehashing the same old.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I'll throw this one in here as it's pretty related
    http://kotaku.com/370355/ubisoft-acquires-tom-clancy-name

Ubisoft buys the name "Tom Clancy" for keeps, which seems a bit retarded to me, I was kinda hoping they'd bury it as I think it limits them a lot.

Rook on
  • Options
    UnKnown SoldierUnKnown Soldier Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think this game could be pretty cool if they can get the voice recognition right.

UnKnown Soldier on
  • Options
    GenericFanGenericFan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Rook wrote: »
    I'll throw this one in here as it's pretty related
    http://kotaku.com/370355/ubisoft-acquires-tom-clancy-name

Ubisoft buys the name "Tom Clancy" for keeps, which seems a bit retarded to me, I was kinda hoping they'd bury it as I think it limits them a lot.

Wait, does that mean that Tom Clancy just sold the rights to his name to a video game company?

Man, what? He must be getting paid a fuckton.

GenericFan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Novelization

Main article: Tom Clancy's EndWar (novel)

Endwar was published as a novel,[8] on the 5th of February 2008 in paperback form. The back cover says "Based on Ubisoft's bestselling game, Tom Clancy's EndWar", despite the game not yet having been released.

hehe

The Black Hunter on