As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GRID: I came. [NSF56k] **IT'S OUT!**

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Holy shit, is this out, and for what system that I am about to go out and buy immediately.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    June 3, 360 and PS3

Karrmer on
  • Options
    TeevirusTeevirus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'll grab the demo when I get home from work tonight, as everyone seems to be enjoying it.

Makes me wish I didn't trade in Forza 2 :(

Teevirus on
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Karrmer wrote: »
    June 3, 360 and PS3

And PC.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Like some other posters in this thread I gave the demo a go and found the handling to be a bit difficult to get the hang of. It seems to be the same problem I had with DIRT, you have to do about half of your steering with the accelerator. Anyways, after reading this thread I gave it another go and I'm completely turned around. I think what helped the most was turning of the braking and traction assistance. The cars are a lot more 'controlable' once you've done that. I will definately be buying this when I comes out.

Is that to say that you can't steer and accelerate at the same time? I like where this game is going :D

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Zenitram wrote: »
    I'm tempted to get either this or Forza 2. I'm interested in the in the intense realism of Forza, but I know absolutely nothing about it or whether I would actually like it or not :S

Demos were pretty cool for both

I think if you are not SURE Forza 2 is a game for you, don't bother, it's probably not. This is coming from someone who wanted to like that game soooo badly, even though driving games don't usually "do it" for me. It's a game for people who give a fuck about cars, that's not me. =D

Nalouto on
    :winky:
  • Options
    squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I wish the wheel for the 360 wasn't so damn expensive.
    Polago wrote: »
    squirly wrote: »
    From the IGN review..
    So they dusted off the DiRT's groundbreaking engine, renamed it Ego and used it as the framework for an entirely new project: Grid, ..
    Yup, same engine but I have no idea about it being open source.

It was talked about quite openly at GDC. The engine is called the Phyre Engine and has been used for flow on PS3 and...something else I can't remember. It can compile to PC and PS3, and is very easy to use with 360, and to say it again, it's free. The problem is the process for obtaining the license, which if you've ever tried to do before you know what hell it can be.

Insomniac also released a set of game libraries for free as well (the nocturnal library?), though those are similar to the MS games assets being released for public use in that it's for non commercial (education/recreational) uses only.

Hopefully I didn't screw any of that up. If you want to look for yourself give it a search on google and you'll find the official sites.
    Oh, hah, I wasn't trying to say it wasn't open source just that what I provided was the limit of my knowledge about the engine and simply to say that 'Yes, you're right, it is based off the engine using in DiRT.' ;)

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Nalouto wrote: »
    Zenitram wrote: »
    I'm tempted to get either this or Forza 2. I'm interested in the in the intense realism of Forza, but I know absolutely nothing about it or whether I would actually like it or not :S

Demos were pretty cool for both

I think if you are not SURE Forza 2 is a game for you, don't bother, it's probably not. This is coming from someone who wanted to like that game soooo badly, even though driving games don't usually "do it" for me. It's a game for people who give a fuck about cars, that's not me. =D

I think you are right. Though I just remembered my cousin has Forza 2, so maybe I'll borrow it and see what it's like. If I like it I may just borrow it indefinitely :)

I really REALLY liked PGR3, especially the dashcam. Which makes me think I'd like GRID better than Forza.

Zenitram on
  • Options
    cordlessmodemcordlessmodem Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I just revisited this demo (Had for a while, decided I didn't like it) after this thread and I've come to a few conclusions.

Firstly, this game is not very realistic at all - I'm judging that on the fact that I just won two races with the sloppiest driving on earth.

Secondly, this game is amazingly fun and if you can find no pleasure in it you may be missing a soul.

Just added to my Amazon wish list (along with Dirt, Richard Burns Rally, and the cheaper (~$70?) Logitech wheel).

Now for that damn credit card to be reactivated :\

cordlessmodem on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Like some other posters in this thread I gave the demo a go and found the handling to be a bit difficult to get the hang of. It seems to be the same problem I had with DIRT, you have to do about half of your steering with the accelerator. Anyways, after reading this thread I gave it another go and I'm completely turned around. I think what helped the most was turning of the braking and traction assistance. The cars are a lot more 'controlable' once you've done that. I will definately be buying this when I comes out.

Is that to say that you can't steer and accelerate at the same time? I like where this game is going :D

Drifting through a hairpin is all about entering at the right speed, braking at the right time, using the right amount of steering input and throttle input to enter a slide, and then modulating the throttle so you drift through the corner.

Basically it's the same shit you've done before if you've ever played any kind of rally racer, but it's still a total blast.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Captain K wrote: »

Drifting through a hairpin is all about entering at the right speed, braking at the right time, using the right amount of steering input and throttle input to enter a slide, and then modulating the throttle so you drift through the corner.

Basically it's the same shit you've done before if you've ever played any kind of rally racer, but it's still a total blast.

Does the actual racing dynamics part of the game have more of a Gran Turismo feel or more of a PGR feel, in respects to the car? I've played and enjoyed both, but I'd just like an idea going in what to expect. I'm not a big fan of drifing games (unless its trying to drift in a simulation, then its damn hard/awesome :D ).

I've got a wheel setup, if that helps.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Does the actual racing dynamics part of the game have more of a Gran Turismo feel or more of a PGR feel, in respects to the car? I've played and enjoyed both, but I'd just like an idea going in what to expect. I'm not a big fan of drifing games (unless its trying to drift in a simulation, then its damn hard/awesome :D ).

It's kinda hard to explain but i'm finding the controls to be more arcade-y than PGR, yet almost as hard to do as GT's. You can take sharper turns, at higher speeds than you can in PGR, but doing them right can be very difficult. I'd definitely try the demo, it cemented it in as a must buy for me. The overall feel likewise is much like a mashup of the two, spinning out and straightaway handling strikes me as much more GTish, but turn handling is kinda PGR-ish

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    How many tracks will the full game have? Not even the wiki article has it.

The lack of interesting tracks was the sole reason I stopped playing Forza 2, so I'm hoping for plenty of varied tracks.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I only did two of the three (?) tracks in the GRID demo, and they both had a lot of personality. I've got high hopes for the full game.

I think one of the achievements is "race on every track" and it said I was at 2/15 after racing on two tracks, so maybe there's 15.

Captain K on
  • Options
    SkullOmaniaSkullOmania Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

It's kinda hard to explain but i'm finding the controls to be more arcade-y than PGR, yet almost as hard to do as GT's. You can take sharper turns, at higher speeds than you can in PGR, but doing them right can be very difficult. I'd definitely try the demo, it cemented it in as a must buy for me. The overall feel likewise is much like a mashup of the two, spinning out and straightaway handling strikes me as much more GTish, but turn handling is kinda PGR-ish

What I meant (wrt DiRT) was that the thumbstick felt like it was almost an on/off button for the steering. As soon as you moved the stick left or right you seemed to go to full lock in that direction, and you really had to use the accelerator and brake to tweak your steering. GRID seems to suffer from the same problem, but not quite as bad, and turning off some of the driver assists has made it easier for me. Or maybe I just suck.

SkullOmania on
  • Options
    squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I played in a bunch of online matches [in the demo] and it's so fun, I think I might actually buy this. What's the cheapest way to get a wheel for the 360? :(

This looks like a fun game to add to our list of games to play at X360 LANs.

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    squirly wrote: »
    I played in a bunch of online matches [in the demo] and it's so fun, I think I might actually buy this. What's the cheapest way to get a wheel for the 360? :(

This looks like a fun game to add to our list of games to play at X360 LANs.

Wouldn't recommend buying a used off ebay. I was burnt when the damn thing nearly never could sync with the console. No easy fixes for it either, or warranty. Its quite a good wheel for its price, so I recommend a sale purchase. Wheel feels a little small for my hands though.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

What I meant (wrt DiRT) was that the thumbstick felt like it was almost an on/off button for the steering. As soon as you moved the stick left or right you seemed to go to full lock in that direction, and you really had to use the accelerator and brake to tweak your steering. GRID seems to suffer from the same problem, but not quite as bad, and turning off some of the driver assists has made it easier for me. Or maybe I just suck.

There's a bunch of options to modify the deadzones and the extremes of steering, you should definitely play with them.

Rook on
  • Options
    MarkyXMarkyX Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm having mixed feelings about this game.

I love the graphics and handling, but online play is one of the reasons why I want to buy and...it's messed up.

You can't play Pro Muscle because no one lives past the first turn. There is no punishment for driving backwards and reckless driving seems to be rewarded instead of a hinderence. The worst part is almost driving game is like this, such as PGR and Forza.

I have yet to find a racing game with a good online experience. I might have to sell my wheel :x

MarkyX on
  • Options
    ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Well after watching the trailer I need to go and play SSX3.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I installed the demo.

Ran the game. Beautiful game. Started playing. Arcade. Arcade that's trying to be about controlling your car. I crash. I try again. I get first place. I crash. I try again. I finish with first place. I win the Ford race.

I uninstall the demo. I don't want to play the game again.

Weird.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    MarkyX wrote: »
    I have yet to find a racing game with a good online experience. I might have to sell my wheel :x

burnout paradise is awesome online. you might be looking for a more "serious" kind of thing though.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    BlackDove wrote: »
    I installed the demo.

Ran the game. Beautiful game. Started playing. Arcade. Arcade that's trying to be about controlling your car. I crash. I try again. I get first place. I crash. I try again. I finish with first place. I win the Ford race.

I uninstall the demo. I don't want to play the game again.

Weird.

Assists on or off?

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This looks really cool, I might give it a try as a rental, but I've tried forza2 for a while. Maybe it's just me, but it doesn't feel like how those cars should handle. I mean, I've done 180kph on the local highways here in my cheap little sports car, and those 1/4 million dollar cars couldn't even handle 70kph through a fucking corner without sliding into the rail.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    driving straight on a highway is a lot different than taking turns at speed

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    So what I'm saying is I like arcade over sims, which does this one seem to be leaning towards?

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    driving straight on a highway is a lot different than taking turns at speed

You don't live in the interior of BC do you? The highways here are not like an american interstate.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    MarkyXMarkyX Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    MarkyX wrote: »

burnout paradise is awesome online. you might be looking for a more "serious" kind of thing though.

No, it isn't. I got rid of it in a month and this is coming from a guy who played Burnout Revenge for over a hundred hours (most of it online)

I hated the checkpoint system, there was hardly any takedowns, and the entire game felt like a giant shortcut instead of a racing game. It's impossible to start an online race since everyone wants to play challenges.

The only game that has managed to pull this off properly is Mario Kart Wii. I simply choose if I want to play region or worldwide and I begin to play in less than a minute. No first turn major crashes or anything.

MarkyX on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Rook wrote: »

There's a bunch of options to modify the deadzones and the extremes of steering, you should definitely play with them.

Maybe I'm just not seeing it but I've been through the control options (in both DiRT and GRID) and can't seem to find any of these settings, just a bunch of different preset controller configs and the option to remap the buttons to a custom layout (but nothing about dead zones or sensitivity, etc). Am I missing something?

SkullOmania on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Rook wrote: »

Maybe I'm just not seeing it but I've been through the control options (in both DiRT and GRID) and can't seem to find any of these settings, just a bunch of different preset controller configs and the option to remap the buttons to a custom layout (but nothing about dead zones or sensitivity, etc). Am I missing something?

I did play on the PC so if you're using 360 version you might be SoL. But I felt exactly the same as you did until I changed the settings.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Well, despite some reservations I picked up the full version of GRID today.
    Initial impressions:
    If you didn't like the handling in the demo you aren't going to like this - it's exactly the same in the retail release. I've managed to get the hang of it but it would still be nice if there was a bit more feedback about what the car was doing. Building up your team, choosing team colours, placing sponsor's logos, etc is good fun.
    The best thing so far has been the demolition derby races - the crash simulations are top notch and the game rocks along at a solid 30fps no matter how much metallic carnage is taking place. I've also found the drifting events to be more entertaining then I thought they would be.

Any other UK PAers picked this up and want to share some thoughts?

SkullOmania on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ugh, ok, I was trying the demo and while I love the sense of speed and impact it has, it just isn't really happening for me.

I may be Forza-spoiled though.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I must be the only one, but the demo had pretty much my favorite handling in a racing game ever. Less simmy than GT, but more than PGR <3<3<3

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    LingxorLingxor Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Probably a dumb question...

Does the 360 racing wheel work on the ps3?

Lingxor on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Lingxor wrote: »
    Probably a dumb question...

Does the 360 racing wheel work on the ps3?

I don't believe so.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    Nitsuj82Nitsuj82 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I didn't think this came out until tomorrow here in the States. I still haven't decided if I will pick it up or not. I'm a big fan or car customization, and I don't just mean stickers. Plus, I'm still so meh on the drifting aspect.

Nitsuj82 on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    Nitsuj82.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    It's hard not to recommend it because there's so much in the game, you don't ever have to play the drift stuff. That said, I don't think there's any car customisation. And I still think it's missing something.

Rook on
  • Options
    StupornautStupornaut Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So is every race in this game like the ones in the demo, where there's only two or three different car models in an entire 20-driver field?

Stupornaut on

Stupornaut.jpg
  • Options
    Nitsuj82Nitsuj82 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Bump for answers.

Nitsuj82 on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    Nitsuj82.png
  • Options
    homargoodnesshomargoodness Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Stupornaut wrote: »
    So is every race in this game like the ones in the demo, where there's only two or three different car models in an entire 20-driver field?

Pretty much! I don't think it spoils the experience at all to be honest. Like Codemasters have said, 'it's all about the race', not the wide selection of cars or customisation.

Bottom line: If you like sims, you probably won't like this too much, it's very unrealistic and slidey. If you like racing sideways for most of the time (think Ridge Racer but less slidey) then you're going to dig this.

I've not had this much fun with a game for a long time. Any UK PAers want to race? My gamertag is just below add me!

homargoodness on
    homarg00dness.png