As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hard Drive Enclosures

KobuksonKobukson Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I got this 3.5'' SATA internal hard drive I got off a friend and am trying to convert it into an external hard drive I can use with my Macbook by use of an external enclosure. I've heard that Firewire gets better rates of transfer and have been scouring the internet for a 3.5'' SATA to Firewire 400 enclosure for around $50, but I keep getting either USB 2.0 only devices or Firewire enclosures priced at $150 when I search newegg.com and Google Shopping. If anyone could point me in a direction as to where to go to find this thing, I'd be very appreciative!

Kobukson on

• FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Firewire is largely becoming phased out, even with Apple, and if you use USB 2.0 it would be much easier to share files amongst multiple computers, which is probably going to outweigh the marginal gains Firewire affords in transfer speed.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Kobukson wrote: »
    So, I got this 3.5'' SATA internal hard drive I got off a friend and am trying to convert it into an external hard drive I can use with my Macbook by use of an external enclosure. I've heard that Firewire gets better rates of transfer and have been scouring the internet for a 3.5'' SATA to Firewire 400 enclosure for around $50, but I keep getting either USB 2.0 only devices or Firewire enclosures priced at $150 when I search newegg.com and Google Shopping. If anyone could point me in a direction as to where to go to find this thing, I'd be very appreciative!
    I’ve bought two of these and love ‘em.

Firewire, USB 2, SATA, comes with cables for all. $46 + shipping.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • TrentusTrentus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    A quick search on Scorptec found this. USB2, Firewire, eSATA, COOL BLUE LUMINOUS FRONT PANEL!!! Oh my god I want one now.

Note that it's an australian store, so if you're from somewhere else, you might want to find somewhere more local to get it from. Save on shipping and what not.
    Firewire is largely becoming phased out, even with Apple

Really? The only recent apple machine I can think of without firewire is the Air. And with target disk mode being such an awesomely helpful tool, I don't think they're getting rid of it any time soon. And I keep seeing more and more machines with firewire. Mum's looking for a new laptop, and every spec sheet I've gone over has included firewire.

Trentus on