As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Code page conversion tables

NibbleNibble Registered User regular
So, I'm getting pretty tired of having to reboot my (WinXP) computer in either traditional or simplified Chinese mode depending on what program I want to use, just because a bunch of lazy programmers don't want to learn Unicode. I've noticed my regional & language options panel has a section for "code page conversion tables." I don't really know what they are, but apparently they're used to convert characters inside a program from a particular encoding into Unicode. I've also noticed that a lot of them aren't installed by default. Will installing more mean that I won't have to reboot my computer with a different "language for non-Unicode programs" as often? Will installing too many have any negative effects?

And yes, I have Microsoft AppLocale. It works for some things, but not for others, and I still have to reboot for programs that don't have a proper uninstall exe and can only be uninstalled from the add/remove programs dialogue.

|EDIT| Also, if anyone knows where I can find a set of normal Chinese-language fonts (ie, the ones that come with Chinese editions of Windows but not with the English one), that would be great. Occasionally it can't find a particular font and defaults to some ridiculous fancy font or some pixelated bitmap font... very annoying.

sig.php?id=178
Nibble on