As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Another Way Schools Are Failing Our Kids

1234568»

• Options
    Not SarastroNot Sarastro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    This was the rule at my school too. "Zero-tolerance" they called it. Yet I bet if I'd punched the principal I'd have been the only one in trouble.

There's an interesting social experiment right there.

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    This was the rule at my school too. "Zero-tolerance" they called it. Yet I bet if I'd punched the principal I'd have been the only one in trouble.

There's an interesting social experiment right there.

It wasn't actually just fighting back that was against the rules. Zero-tolerance means "you better not even have it coming or we're filing a police report and suspending you". i.e: if someone sucker-punches you and you just lay down and take the beating you are still suspended and the school is still going to try to press charges.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    See, at my school they just said you should run away. I considered asking how they felt about containment, shoulder locks and such (the sort of thing that will only hurt if one tries to get out), but probably would have been told to shut up. Luckily, there were barely any fights in my high school.

And when a friend of mine did get ambushed in the hallway by some upperclassman with a rage issue, he didn't get in trouble for falling down and bleeding all over the place. So I guess that's good.

Tarantio on
  • Options
    Not SarastroNot Sarastro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Tarantio wrote: »
    And when a friend of mine did get ambushed in the hallway by some upperclassman with a rage issue, he didn't get in trouble for falling down and bleeding all over the place. So I guess that's good.

Unprovoked bleeding is one of the worst problems facing today's youth, and must be uncompromisingly dealt with. As for falling down, just think of the repair bills to buildings if everyone just gratuitously collapsed all the time!

Your school sounds like a lax liberal free-for-all.

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    So, did anybody hear about those third graders (two girls, one boy) who planned to abduct and murder their teacher?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Scalfin wrote: »
    So, did anybody hear about those third graders (two girls, one boy) who planned to abduct and murder their teacher?

yeah, thats kinda messed up. But really, could third graders actually do this? Seriously?

They should give those kids some counseling.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Scalfin wrote: »

yeah, thats kinda messed up. But really, could third graders actually do this? Seriously?

They should give those kids some counseling.

They should send those kids to find Osama.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.