As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Side dish advice

mtsmts Dr. Robot KingRegistered User regular
edited March 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok, my wife is out of town all week and i need to feed myself. It isn't a big deal since i am a pretty good cook.

my weakness right now is thinking up some good side dishes. I am perfectly content with just eating a big hunk of meat with potatos or something but figure i should try and mix it up

am planning on roasting a tri-tip we have but am stuck what to eat with it.

normally would make it with roast potatos but want some variety and don't feel like roasting potatos for just myself.

"menu for the week"

a steak i bought don't remember the cut but it looked good
salad
rice of some sort

hotdogs
potato sald or chips

kebobs
more rice
?

meat sauce with ravioli

tri-tip
?
?

grilled sausage with onions and peppers /pita
rice
pasta salad

any suggestions to round thngs out would be welcomed

camo_sig.png
mts on

• burntheladleburntheladle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Roast some other vegetables? Pumpkin and sweet potato are both lovely when roasted - I'm not sure what a tri-tip is, but when I roast lamb, I like to throw some onion quarters in as well.

You could stir fry some greens to eat with your kebabs and rice, a little bit of capsicum and celery with something leafy is pretty simple and yummy. When you're making rice you could chuck a few spices in to make it a little different (I like tumric, it doesn't taste that different but it goes yellow).

burntheladle on
    What would Zombie Pirate LeChuck Do?
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    What kind of kabobs are you making? I would suggest maybe some spinach, maybe add a little garlic if you like. Mint is a possible choice as well. This would especially go well with lamb kabobs, I think.

I also agree with the pumpkin and sweet potato idea, that is always good. I usually add a touch of cinnamon to my roasted sweet potatoes, but it's entirely up to you.

Thetheroo on
  • ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    do veg kabobs with the meat, ie put chunks of sweet pepper, onion, mushrooms and grill em too

other easy veggies.. grill some zucchini with olive oil, sprinkel with salt, pepper and some parmesan when it's done
    could make up a bean and veg salad and just use that as a general size. My fav recipe has 1 can black beans, 1 can corn, 1c grape tomatoes halved, 1c diced sweet bell pepper, 1c diced mango, 1c diced cucumber, 4tbsp fresh cilantro, 1 tbsp lime juice, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/8 tsp chili powder, 1c diced avocado. I often skip the mango because it's expensive when it's not in season, but this makes a nice big batch (and you can just eat some for lunch too)

ihmmy on
  • enderwiggin13enderwiggin13 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm a big fan of couscous or bulgur wheat side dishes. You can usually find some easy to make packages in your mid-to-upper level grocery stores...I wanna say near the rice, maybe the foreign food sections. Couscous is like a type of tiny pasta that takes about 5 minutes to cook and then it either comes with flavor packs or you can add olive oil, vinegar, diced fresh vegetables (tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, celery) spices, lemon juice, etc.

Bulgur wheat is like a dried, de-branned grain that you prepare very similar to couscous.

Both are excellent in the summer time with steaks.

enderwiggin13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    ah forgot about coucous. that might go good in there. plus i have some on my cupboard so extra bonus points go to ender

i would much prefere summer squash to zucchini but it isn't quite in season yet out here. veg salad looks pretty good might have to try it

mts on
    camo_sig.png