Options

I need a new gaming monitor.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I don't live amongst the penguins. Do they ship to the US?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    They only ship to the US

and penguins live in the south pole

polar bears live in the north pole, where I assume you refer to (Canada)

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    They only ship to the US

and penguins live in the south pole

polar bears live in the north pole, where I assume you refer to (Canada)

I know not the details of your icy nether regions.

But seriously, thanks for all the help Mr. Faux. I'll probably order it two weeks from today and will let you all know what I think.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Thanks also to taliosfalcon, bombardier, and everyone else that weighed in.

Drez on
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Let's say, for the sake of argument, that I'm cheap. I can get this monitor for a reasonable price. Will this work with the PS3? I already know about the HDCP thing, I just wanna make sure it's not going to have a distorted aspect ratio or anything when I hook it up.

Kreutz on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    there's no way to tell without asking someone with experience with it.

it can't display 1080p without significant downscaling, for starters

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    Down, Set, GoDown, Set, Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    How is going from 1920x1080 to 1680x1050 "significant" downscaling? Seems fine though, on paper. At least for a budget.

Down, Set, Go on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    ummm, because its a 15% reduction in resolution?

also statistically significant

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Figured I'd jump on this thread rather than making another. Does anyone have any experience with Samsung 2232BW's? They seem like a great deal, but I'm hearing reviews varying from "I have a C panel and can't tell the difference with the colors tweaked" to "It was so blue that I had to take it back". I'm having it shipped quite a way so I'd prefer not to have to go through returning it due to bad colors.

edit: Unless I find myself convinced otherwise in the next few days, I think I'll be going with a LG L226WTP. Same price as the 2232, without so much to worry about. And one's available locally, so if I do have trouble I don't need to worry about shipping.

exis on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    So after much internal debate, saving money, and tarot reading, I have purchased the FP241W.

I wanted the FP241VW, but it's sold out everywhere except NCIX and I'm not sure I want to trust their European manufacturing dates (I wanted the latest US manufacturing date/firmware revision - NCIX sends European models, apparently).

The FP241 line (W, VW, and WZ) are discontinued now, too.

Anyway, here's hoping it works well. Should come Thursday.

Someone here said they use the Wii with theirs? I'm guessing it works well? I never understood how the Wii works. There's no option for Widescreen versus Fullscreen anywhere...does it just detect the capability of your display device?

Drez on
  • Options
    gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    exis wrote: »

edit: Unless I find myself convinced otherwise in the next few days, I think I'll be going with a LG L226WTP. Same price as the 2232, without so much to worry about. And one's available locally, so if I do have trouble I don't need to worry about shipping.

Also check for the availability of the LG L227WT, it's supposed to be even better and seems to be one of the first LCD monitors with an actual ms of Zero. As fast as a CRT.

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm looking for a 22" wide LCD (for my PS3, probably gonna pick up before GTAIV ships), and I've narrowed it down to a few models put out by LG and Samsung. Still a couple things I need reassuring on:

- Not easy to find monitors with HDMI in my price range, so will there be any loss of quality if I use an adapter? I know HDMI is "fully compatible" with DVI-D, but the whole point of getting the monitor is to get the best picture possible (720p being damn well good enough for me, especially on a 22" screen).

- Someone explain this contrast ratio thing to me. I know 1000:1 is "good," but I gather that many quoted ratios are artificial, using DFC or whatever which I've heard is best turned off. So waht should I look for?

- Are most monitors 16:9 or :10? Cause I'll be damned if I buy a widescreen monitor just to get slightly less letterboxing.

- Gloss: yay or nay?

- What other brands should I look out for? I've heard BenQ and Westinghouse, but LG and Samsung are the ones I hear the most about and the ones I actually have owned (and been thoroughly pleased by). I know the other brands can be cheaper (especially at local shops or on tigerdirect/ncix). A 2ms response time is essential.

I'm heavily eyeing this deal at Futureshop, plus the LGs are all pretty appealing. Thoughts, advice?

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Torso Boy wrote: »
    - Not easy to find monitors with HDMI in my price range, so will there be any loss of quality if I use an adapter? I know HDMI is "fully compatible" with DVI-D, but the whole point of getting the monitor is to get the best picture possible (720p being damn well good enough for me, especially on a 22" screen).
    No loss of quality unless the adapter is outright defective. HDMI/DVI (well, TMDS, if you want to be all technical) is a digital signal, if you don't have full quality, something is broken. But HDMI handles audio and video, while DVI handles only video, so you'll need some other adapter to do sound.
    - Are most monitors 16:9 or :10? Cause I'll be damned if I buy a widescreen monitor just to get slightly less letterboxing.
    Virtually every widescreen computer monitor is 16:10. Yes, having two different "standard" widescreen aspect ratios sucks, we know.

Oh, but don't worry about the letterboxing: most computer monitors don't support letterboxing from 16:10 to 16:9, so you'll likely get aspect stretching instead, yay!

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Well that blows. Do we know of any that definitely support letterboxing?

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well that blows. Do we know of any that definitely support letterboxing?

I'm completely sure the samsung 2253BW supports 1:1 pixel mapping, and fairly positive it also supports correct aspect ratio stretching, which would be the letterboxing you're referring to. It's the only 22" i know of that does though

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    So pretty much my best choice is the one I can get for $270? :D

You are awesome, thank you.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    One more question:

How much should I expect to pay for an HDMI > DVI-D adapter, and what is the latest/best HDMI version to look for?

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    One more question:

How much should I expect to pay for an HDMI > DVI-D adapter, and what is the latest/best HDMI version to look for?

The latest HDMI version is 1.3, but there's little difference between it and 1.2a if you don't have some crazy equipment. And besides, it's just devices and monitors you really need to worry about; cables and adapters should carry either just fine.

As for price:
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?spcDB=10419&spcWord=+DVI%2FHDMI+Adapter&keyword=hdmi%20dvi%20converter

don't pay more than a couple bucks for an adapter.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Shit. Going out and picking up my stuff today, but I might get gouged on the adapter cause I'm shopping in-town. Gonna check a couple of the smaller stores...

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Well...

I got the monitor. March 2007. No Overscan option in the menu.

Sigh.

Drez on
  • Options
    TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    Someone here said they use the Wii with theirs? I'm guessing it works well? I never understood how the Wii works. There's no option for Widescreen versus Fullscreen anywhere...does it just detect the capability of your display device?
    The Wii gets you to set up your widescreen/fullscreen thing when you turn it on for the very first time. After that, you can go into the Wii settings and adjust it there.

Drez wrote: »
    Well...

I got the monitor. March 2007. No Overscan option in the menu.

Sigh.
    TV manufacturers love to screw you like that. Luckily, you can probably access overscan options by entering a code that will let you access a "service mode" menu. Try googling for the model number of your tv with "service manual" added. Sometimes you just won't find it, though... It really sucks but I guess they just assume that TV buyers are idiots, and most are. :|

EDIT: Oh, it's a computer monitor? Weird... Also, after googling it, it says that monitor has 16 ms response time. Isn't that kinda high?

TM2 Rampage on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    So I got a Samsung 2253BW, great little monitor, only one issue:

Letterboxing, the option I bought it for, is nowhere to be seen. Am I missing something?

Edit: From what I can tell, it's running everything at the proper resolution but it's just cutting off a bit of the left and right sides. Outputting HDMI @ 1080p from a PS3 using a DVI adaptor. No options to change this in the monitor. Ah well.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

Letterboxing, the option I bought it for, is nowhere to be seen. Am I missing something?

Edit: From what I can tell, it's running everything at the proper resolution but it's just cutting off a bit of the left and right sides. Outputting HDMI @ 1080p from a PS3 using a DVI adaptor. No options to change this ithe monitor. Ah well.

I don't think that monitor can do 1080p. I thought it was 24"s and up?

Esh on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    It can, although I'm sticking to 720p because it lambastes me about 1080p not being "optimal."

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    GophermasterGophermaster Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Esh wrote: »

Edit: From what I can tell, it's running everything at the proper resolution but it's just cutting off a bit of the left and right sides. Outputting HDMI @ 1080p from a PS3 using a DVI adaptor. No options to change this ithe monitor. Ah well.

I don't think that monitor can do 1080p. I thought it was 24"s and up?

It can't. 22inch monitors output a max rez of 1680 x 1050 and 1080p is 1920×1080. The monitor should accept a 1080p signal, but it will downscale it too 720p.

Gophermaster on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It can, although I'm sticking to 720p because it lambastes me about 1080p not being "optimal."

Ditto, got a Samsung 2232BW here and so help it if it sees you're trying to use 1080p. It once threatened me with a knife.

So, I run my PS3 at 720p.

Not that it matters that much, some time this year (maybe next) i'll be getting a 1080p hdtv anyway.

Also, I was going to mention about how the op should make sure the monitor should have HDCP but he's bought one already. So I guess it doesn't matter now.
    It can't. 22inch monitors output a max rez of 1680 x 1050 and 1080p is 1920×1080. The monitor should accept a 1080p signal, but it will downscale it too 720p.

No it won't, 720p is 1280x720. The monitor is 1680x1050, it will downscale it. But not to 720p.. it downscales it to some bastard half-way point between 720p and 1080p.. in otherwords it will downscale 1920x1080 to 1680x1050 and maybe crop if it isn't the exact correct aspect ratio which I can't be bothered figuring out.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    1920x1080 is 16:9 whilst 1680x1050 is 16:10, so you'll end up with it stretched, bits cut off the side, or black bars at the bottom.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    GophermasterGophermaster Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    GrimReaper wrote: »

No it won't, 720p is 1280x720. The monitor is 1680x1050, it will downscale it. But not to 720p.. it downscales it to some bastard half-way point between 720p and 1080p.. in otherwords it will downscale 1920x1080 to 1680x1050 and maybe crop if it isn't the exact correct aspect ratio which I can't be bothered figuring out.

Well that was kind of what I meant, but I didn't have all my facts straight. Either way the point remains that you can't use a higher rez (1080p) than your monitor supports.

Gophermaster on
  • Options
    xYUUBINKYOKUxxYUUBINKYOKUx Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Stay the hell away from the 2408WFP, i'm also in the market for a 24" LCD and it looked interesting so I did some research..it basically has every problem imaginable, color banding, left half of the screen is brighter than the right (on every one) extreme input lag, they're saying it has the highest input lag of pretty much any LCD ever which makes it useless for games.

I have a 2408WFP and it has none of these problems maybe it was just the first batch that was bad or something.

xYUUBINKYOKUx on
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm not seeing that either with my 2407WFP-HC, and no lag even with 480i content.

480i on this screen looks like ass, sure, but no lag.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    but he didn't say anything about the 2407.

YOUR problem would be inverse ghosting on that monitor - because of the overdrive

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I know that, it isn't as bad when you don't look for it.

The only reason I brought the 2407 up was because usually the previous model has the most problems. Just throwing it out there that the 2407 doesn't have the stated problems.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I think I am going for this one as soon as I can afford it. I think I've sticked with CRT long enough...

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=143&bid=2&sid=29058
    So guys is this sweet

I want to crank some mad PC gaming and also 360 gaming probably

LaCabra on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    That does look awesome, LaCabra.

I was contemplating an Acer. Although their computers are complete balls, the specs on their higher end monitors look damn good, and the price is right. Plus they're easy to source in Australia.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I just want to know if the one I linked is going to let me down for gaming, particularly when hooking it up to a 360, and if there's something similar I could get that'd go up to 1920.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    24" ones are probably better because they'll generally have a high enough resolution to support 1080p, unlike the 22" ones which will need to upscale 720p a bit.

You'll also want to make sure that the monitor copes ok with the slightly different screen size ratio without distorting everything. TVs use 16:9, monitors tend to use 16:10 for some reason.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    The colors on the screen look sort of blown out from my camera which sucks but the monitor is pure win

007.JPG

xYUUBINKYOKUx on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Which monitor's that?

LaCabra on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    LaCabra wrote: »
    Which monitor's that?