Options

I need a new gaming monitor.

12346»

• Options
    TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Okay guys, I think I've found my dream monitor. It's discontinued and I managed to buy the display model they had at Fry's for $480-ish.

It's an LG Flatron 246WP-BN. It is a P-MVA panel, but input lag appears to be nonexistent (it's at 22ms average but I haven't noticed it while actually using the monitor). The 245BP is a similar model, and that one scales everything properly except for Xbox 360 on VGA (you'll have to use the component inputs).

My monitor, though, scales everything perfectly. On PC, it had trouble running at native res (1920x1200) with NVIDIA drivers, but there's a fix for it by modifying a text file on your NVIDIA drivers, but it'll remove the 1:1 pixel mapping option when you run on PC. So what's left is only Fill mode... so just run your PC and PC games at a 16:10 ratio and it'll be fine (so of course running at 1920x1200 makes it 1:1 pixel mapped anyway).

EDIT: When running your PC at modes other than 1920x1200, it will allow 1:1 pixel mapping. So for games where I want it to run smoothly, I can set it at a lower res and play at 1:1 pixel mapping or just stretch it out so it fills the screen (might be a bit blurrier, but it still looks really good actually... for 1680x1050 at least.)

Alright... here's the specs on the monitor: http://lcd24-7.info/Monitor/LG/Flatron-L246WP/Default.aspx

Freakin' sweet.

TM2 Rampage on
  • Options
    TzenTzen Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The thought of a 250+ monitor with dim lighting at the top just doesn't sound appealing to me.

What about something like this? http://cgi.ebay.com/SHARP-19-LC-19SB14U-LC19SB14U-LCD-TV-HDTV-HDMI-HOT_W0QQitemZ140240298593QQihZ004QQcategoryZ32863QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Tzen on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Tzen wrote: »
    The thought of a 250+ monitor with dim lighting at the top just doesn't sound appealing to me.

What about something like this? http://cgi.ebay.com/SHARP-19-LC-19SB14U-LC19SB14U-LCD-TV-HDTV-HDMI-HOT_W0QQitemZ140240298593QQihZ004QQcategoryZ32863QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    Wow, I think this is one of the rare times where I see the monitor's panel type being advertised/listed instead of concealed.

" Active Matrix - TFT TN LCD"

It's a TN panel, so if the screen is raised above eye level, it will appear to darken. All TN screens that I've tried so far... even if you place it at eye level and look directly at the screen, the top part appears to be darker and the bottom part appears to be lighter. This is really only bothersome when solid colors filling the screen are involved... with games and movies it seems alright, unless you're watching a cartoon. I dunno if HDTVs with TN panels have some magical screen filter that they put over to try to make the viewing angle better...

The panel type that my monitor has, S-PVA, is still not perfect with viewing angles, but it seems much more consistent that with TN panels. But, when I'm looking at a solid color filling the whole screen, particularly a dark black-ish color, it will appear lighter out toward the edges, and darker (more true to what it's supposed to look like) in the middle of the screen. If I shift my head around, the darker part seems to be right in front of my face, and everything radiating outwards gets a bit brighter. But, this isn't too annoying for me and I can live with it... plus if you sit farther away the effect lessens... And the effect isn't so insanely drastic IMO...

I think with all types of screens, if you just have a picture or regular stuff filling the screen, any uniformity problems tend to be less noticeable. Even the IPS panels tend to have screen uniformity issues, with blacks getting a purple hue when viewed at an extreme-ish angle... and all LCD screens can suffer from backlight bleed...

TM2 Rampage on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Seriously, the more i read this thread the gladder I am that I got this monitor. I don't get any problems with viewing angles unless they're extreme. The colour is perfect. Everything is perfect. It is purest rad, and it's the cheapest 24" out there. Buy this, guys!

LaCabra on
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yall wrote: »
    I'm going to be building a new PC soon and would like a new monitor as well.

I'd like to be able to use it for PC/360/PS3/HiDef etc. (widescreen/1080p support).

In the 24 - 42 inch range, money aside, what might be the best solution given the wide variety of inputs?

Anyone?

Yall on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

I'd like to be able to use it for PC/360/PS3/HiDef etc. (widescreen/1080p support).

In the 24 - 42 inch range, money aside, what might be the best solution given the wide variety of inputs?

Anyone?
    Look at my post right after your previous one.

I guess the LG 246WP-BN would be nice, if you can find it. 3 inputs total: 1 HDMI, 1 VGA, 1 Component.

LG-245WP might work too, but I read that it doesn't show 16:9 properly for consoles connected to the VGA input.

TM2 Rampage on
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Anyone?
    Look at my post right after your previous one.

I guess the LG 246WP-BN would be nice, if you can find it. 3 inputs total: 1 HDMI, 1 VGA, 1 Component.

LG-245WP might work too, but I read that it doesn't show 16:9 properly for consoles connected to the VGA input.

Cool - I'll check them out. Thanks!

Yall on
  • Options
    rabblerouserrabblerouser Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Are there certain models or even brands to avoid? I only need a simple monitor and have about $270. I saw some around that price at stores like Staples D:

rabblerouser on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited June 2008
    dudes and damsels, is the benQ FP241VW still the bees knees that I should be buying?

Currently I have two samsung syncmaster 172x's that have lasted through thick and thin (and a basement flood) for nearly 5 years now. Unfortunately, the connection on one of them has slowly been going sour for a while now, and its pretty much at the point where I get a yellow tinted screen no matter how much I twist and turn all of the connections, so I'm looking to replace it.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    LaCabra wrote: »
    Seriously, the more i read this thread the gladder I am that I got this monitor. I don't get any problems with viewing angles unless they're extreme. The colour is perfect. Everything is perfect. It is purest rad, and it's the cheapest 24" out there. Buy this, guys!

I've been considering it for a few months now.

Any way you can try a PS3 on it, heh.

Seriously though, good feedback, it's been in and out of my cart over and over.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I haven't got, and don't know anyone with, a 360 or a PS3. Besides Squirly, and he doesn't have a car to bring it over here.

LaCabra on