As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Half-Life 2: Episode Two and Portal now run like old man with bad legs

doublehawk00doublehawk00 Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
For some reason, from the moment Portal and HL2: Episode 2 start their title screens, the games stutter a few times every second, resulting in choppy image and sound. I have not altered the settings at which the games ran before this problem, and this problem does NOT extend to Team Fortress 2. I have already updated my video card drivers and tried to free up ram for the games. Neither has worked. The games are both practically unplayable now. Suggestions?

doublehawk00 on

• Options
    wabbitehwabbiteh Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Are you running vista? Also, check if your hard drive is thrashing. I seem to recall hearing (though don't have any personal experience with this, so take it with a grain of salt) that vista occasionally does some strange things with precaching that can cause problems similar to this.

Try running the game in a window, with task manager running to the side, see if anything is stealing processor time.

wabbiteh on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I'm running XP. And I already ran checks with task manager, and anything that would have stolen time away from those games would have done it to TF2 as well.

doublehawk00 on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Here's one that solved it for me: what Antivirus program are you running?

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Here's one that solved it for me: what Antivirus program are you running?

Avira AntiVir, personal version.

doublehawk00 on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well, that's a dud, the documented problem is with AVG. You might want to try reinstalling video/sound drivers...

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Is it possible that you have them installed twice? Steam doesn't like that.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!