As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

West Coast Train Trip 2008: Communist Edition

• kazuokazuo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Btw, as a first time train-er... should I bring money to get a cab or something else, or will the hotels (Sharaton in my case) be within' good walking condition?

Like someone else mentioned, it's not too far, but you don't have to worry since you can just slam a taxi with a bunch of other folks at the train station. A bunch of us did that last year and it was fine, aside from one guy who's laptop got left in the taxi :(

But, yeah. Don't sweat it :)

Also, I know this isn't the hotel sharing thread, but any WCTT'ers got hotel space to spare? My usual roomie dropped off the face of the earth so I've decided to just make other arrangements... PM me so as to not derail (lol pun) the thread.

kazuo on
  • BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    i am totally bringing 2 small cloth bladed fans to help cool down the train party goers

2 of these

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Fan Fights?

The_Reflection on
  • strongesthylianstrongesthylian Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I hope everyone's purchased their train tickets.
    They've gone up a whopping $44 since I've purchased my tickets at the end of May.

strongesthylian on
    Now known as Rondhi. Too lazy to make a new user account.
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hello, I have a ticket for this so I suppose I'd like to join the festivities if possible?

I can bring a Wii with Smash Brothers, No More Heroes, and a couple multiplayer downloaded games if you still need one more. I may pick up Mario Kart Wii sometime as well.

Unfortunately I only have one remote w/ nunchuck, and one classic controller.

Marshmallow on
  • Eco-MonoEco-Mono Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Please remove me from the list. My friend down in Los Angeles wants to do this by road trip, so as to visit other friends along the way.

My apologies.

Eco-Mono on
  • CanticleCanticle Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Myself and a friend will be joining this glorious undertaking in Los Angeles.

I want to get a feel for interest in running some official RPGA D&D 4th Edition games on the train on the way to and from PAX. There are a number of adventures running at the actual convention, but there are still more that could be played on the train.

Anyone interested in playing D&D on a train?

Canticle on
  • The Angry CeltThe Angry Celt Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Canticle wrote: »
    Myself and a friend will be joining this glorious undertaking in Los Angeles.

I want to get a feel for interest in running some official RPGA D&D 4th Edition games on the train on the way to and from PAX. There are a number of adventures running at the actual convention, but there are still more that could be played on the train.

Right here. I am down with playing the D&/orD, as long as I am not the DM.

The Angry Celt on
    edited July 2008
    I have never played D&D before, but I really really want to. I would love to play (p.s. I get on in oregon)

The_Reflection on
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I would be interested in some 4th ed DnD. I haven't played since ADnD 2nd edition. I get on in LA and am also doing the return trip.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I will not be going up on the same train heading up to pax. However I will be heading back on the starlight #11 back down from pax. Circumstances dictate I go early and enjoy seattle before hand.

Viscountalpha on
    edited July 2008
    Alright. As soon as the PAX adventures are posted on Warhorn (the site says they should be listed today, but so far nothing) I'll order a few adventures that aren't being run at PAX itself. For those of you who would like to play and have not played D&D before (and presumably do not own the Player's Handbook), would you be interested in me bringing a few 1st-level pre-generated characters to speed things along? If not, you can always create your character on the train.

EDIT: As an added bonus, August 27th is the day that the Pacific U.S. region's first regional adventure goes live (we correspond to the area known as the East Rift in 4e Forgotten Realms). If that adventure is not being run at PAX, it'll be run on the train.

Canticle on
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I have no idea what the second half of your post means but should we be coordinating what characters we create to avoid having like all casters?

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
    edited July 2008
    Arikado wrote: »
    I have no idea what the second half of your post means but should we be coordinating what characters we create to avoid having like all casters?
    The second half is totally unimportant unless you actually follow this RPGA nonsense actively. :P

You can coordinate with your comrades if you feel like it, though if there are a lot of players new to D&D you probably will not be able to create characters before you get on the train anyway (unless you get ahold of a Player's Handbook).

I'll bring a set of pre-gen characters with me, as well as some extra character sheets and all the RPGA stuff. If you've never played in the RPGA before, don't worry, you don't need to do anything ahead of time. I'll have membership cards for you to fill out at the game, and those same cards (and characters!) can be used at any of the RPGA events being run at PAX itself.

If you want to read up on things ahead of time (for those studious of you):
    Welcome to LFR
    Character Creation
    Regions

Canticle on
    edited July 2008
    Alright, I'll be able to run three different adventures on the train. We'll figure out how to split them up time-wise. Each will take about 5 hours total, so if you want to play make sure you can commit to that kind of block of time.

CORE1-1 Inheritance

When the Netherese conquered Sembia those who objected were either killed or forced to flee. Decades later a young man inherits a key to the family vault abandoned seventy years earlier. Desperate for money he hires you to retrieve it contents in a gamble that something worthwhile is still there. A Living Forgotten Realms adventure set in Sembia for characters levels 1-4.

CORE1-2 The Radiant Vessel of Thesk

Rumors of a great item, touched by divinity, have traveled across Faerûn. Those with an interest in possessing the item and benefiting from its power have sent agents to find it, but no one seems to know what or where it is. A Living Forgotten Realms adventure set in Thesk for characters levels 1-4.

CORE1-3 Sense of Wonder

You are summoned to help a cleric of Gond Wonderbringer, who seeks the location of a lost temple to the Lord of All Smiths. Think of all the marvelous inventions, lost since the Spellplague came crashing down on the nation of Lantan, that might lie waiting to be rediscovered and brought back to the lands of Faerûn! A Living Forgotten Realms adventure set in the Nelanther Isles for characters level 1-4.

Canticle on
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hello, I have a ticket for this so I suppose I'd like to join the festivities if possible?

I can bring a Wii with Smash Brothers, No More Heroes, and a couple multiplayer downloaded games if you still need one more. I may pick up Mario Kart Wii sometime as well.

Unfortunately I only have one remote w/ nunchuck, and one classic controller.

We have someone bringing a Wii and given the current number of TVs we got the console room probably be able to spare a second TV for Wii gaming. The lack of extra controllers is another problem but please do clarify on what you mean by "multiplayer downloaded games"

On D&D our leader Augusts had some type of 4th edition planned but I don't think anyone is going to be complaining about more games being ran. I would suggest trying to get something coordinated with him if you want to help run D&D games but he pretty busy so you might not be able to do much till it is closer to PAX.

Also anyone interested in buying a cheap but decent surge protector(about $7) or power squid(about $10) send me a PM.

Also I got some space in a hotel room anyone looking to get upgraded from "homeless" to "roof over your head" should PM or hope it won't rain this year.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Fuck yes. But I've only played 3.5 a handful of times. Time to research!

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
    edited July 2008
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    On D&D our leader Augusts had some type of 4th edition planned but I don't think anyone is going to be complaining about more games being ran. I would suggest trying to get something coordinated with him if you want to help run D&D games but he pretty busy so you might not be able to do much till it is closer to PAX.
    Do you know if his games are going to be RPGA-sanctioned? If not, there's not a lot of point in coordinating them. I was just planning on bringing my own stuff.

Canticle on
    edited July 2008
    Do you know if his games are going to be RPGA-sanctioned? If not, there's not a lot of point in coordinating them. I was just planning on bringing my own stuff.

I have no idea the only thing I know is he wanted the campaign to be newbie friendly.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    For those of you who would like to play and have not played D&D before (and presumably do not own the Player's Handbook), would you be interested in me bringing a few 1st-level pre-generated characters to speed things along? If not, you can always create your character on the train.

Oooh, D&D with no homework. That sounds awesome. If I can remember how to play, I think I'd be down for that.

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
    edited July 2008
    nemaihne wrote: »
    For those of you who would like to play and have not played D&D before (and presumably do not own the Player's Handbook), would you be interested in me bringing a few 1st-level pre-generated characters to speed things along? If not, you can always create your character on the train.

Oooh, D&D with no homework. That sounds awesome. If I can remember how to play, I think I'd be down for that.
    If you haven't played for a while, don't expect to remember much. We'll be using the new 4th Edition rules set, so a lot of what you know will have changed. It's easier than ever to pick up and play, though.

Canticle on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    TRAIN TICKET GET!

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    edited July 2008
    http://www.pathguy.com/cg4.htm

Java based character generator for 4th edition characters. Make sure you got a character sheet ready to copy all the stuff over when you are done.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2008
    http://www.pathguy.com/cg4.htm

Java based character generator for 4th edition characters. Make sure you got a character sheet ready to copy all the stuff over when you are done.
    Note that unless you have the Player's Handbook and are familiar with how the game works, the character generator will not help. You won't have any idea what you need to select or what any of the classes, races or abilities do. If you're new to D&D either go out and get a Player's Handbook or simply wait to create a character until you are on the train.

That said, that's a pretty sweet generator.

Canticle on
  • HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hey guy. By time PAX rolls around I'll have all the 3rd season of The Venture Bros. on my HD. And I want to know if poeple would be down to watch the whole thing, on the way up or back down. Anyone down for some Team Venture?

Highfire on
  • LordKawaiiLordKawaii Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Highfire wrote: »
    Hey guy. By time PAX rolls around I'll have all the 3rd season of The Venture Bros. on my HD. And I want to know if poeple would be down to watch the whole thing, on the way up or back down. Anyone down for some Team Venture?

not sure if I want to watch it all at once, but Im always down for some Team Venture!

LordKawaii on
    edited July 2008
    IGNORE ME!!!!!!!

The_Reflection on
  • kazuokazuo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Finally got train tickets. @ $135 they cost more than the plane ticket I just got ($106)

Myself +2 friends confirmed.

Might not bring the Dreamcast since I'm BYOC'ing. I really won't know for sure until I pack.

See y'all there

PS: In case you didn't notice, I'm taking the plane back so maybe add that into the main post thing.

kazuo on
  • RCars2RCars2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Highfire wrote: »

....YES!!! Chastise me now but I've wanted to keep up on the series but due to lazy, poor memory, and other misc committments I've only caught episodes here and there.....and yes i have a DVR and no i never remember to record it anyway.

Speaking of full series, I'm getting every episode of Top Gear (including the new season) and bringing that along for the trip. Some of you know this series and the rest of you are scouring wikipedia to get informed (poor bastards). Imagine this if you will, awesome car reviews, slick brits, and slapstick comedy (usually in the form of car challenges with no budget and even less common sence).....its FTW!

RCars2 on
    carlinsig.png
  • The Angry CeltThe Angry Celt Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Alright, I'll be able to run three different adventures on the train. We'll figure out how to split them up time-wise. Each will take about 5 hours total, so if you want to play make sure you can commit to that kind of block of time.

CORE1-1 Inheritance

When the Netherese conquered Sembia those who objected were either killed or forced to flee. Decades later a young man inherits a key to the family vault abandoned seventy years earlier. Desperate for money he hires you to retrieve it contents in a gamble that something worthwhile is still there. A Living Forgotten Realms adventure set in Sembia for characters levels 1-4.

Rumors of a great item, touched by divinity, have traveled across Faerûn. Those with an interest in possessing the item and benefiting from its power have sent agents to find it, but no one seems to know what or where it is. A Living Forgotten Realms adventure set in Thesk for characters levels 1-4.

CORE1-3 Sense of Wonder

You are summoned to help a cleric of Gond Wonderbringer, who seeks the location of a lost temple to the Lord of All Smiths. Think of all the marvelous inventions, lost since the Spellplague came crashing down on the nation of Lantan, that might lie waiting to be rediscovered and brought back to the lands of Faerûn! A Living Forgotten Realms adventure set in the Nelanther Isles for characters level 1-4.
    How do you want stat generation done? 3 Dice, 4 dice drop... point buy, pool? Also, I have a players handbook and dig on some FogRealms.

The Angry Celt on
    edited July 2008

CORE1-1 Inheritance

CORE1-3 Sense of Wonder

How do you want stat generation done? 3 Dice, 4 dice drop... point buy, pool? Also, I have a players handbook and dig on some FogRealms.
    If you are planning on creating a character ahead of time, please read the links in the post just above the one you quoted, especially the character creation information. I don't set the rules for RPGA games, they are standardized for all RPGA play so that characters can be used anywhere. As far as stats go, point-buy is the way it's done in the RPGA. Use the standard point system outlined in the 4th Edition Player's Handbook.

Canticle on
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Woah, I just realized that I predated the whole communist train trip thing.
    Ok guys, remember how a number of us walked to the sheraton this year? I was the one pushing for this. I'm sorry, I should have been smarter. Well, next year, I won't make that mistake. I have our trip from station to hotels all planned out. Spoilered, though, incase anyone steals my ideas.
    Alright, so we arrive at king station. What, why are we carrying RPG's and wearing uniforms? Because we're boss, thats why.

screen0000.jpg
    Alright guys, lets take a picture like last year.

screen0001.jpg
    Alright guys, here we go. How'd I get helicopters? Don't worry about that, I have connections.

screen0002.jpg
    Haha, don't worry, they aren't pointing those guns at you, they're pointing them with you... wait, what? Err... they're friendly, just get in!

screen0003.jpg
    Alright guys, we're off to PAX 08! Everyone's going to be envious, I just know it!

screen0004.jpg
    Well, now that we have the helicopters, why do we need the train? We can just get helicopter rides back! Screw the train!

screen0005.jpg
    Guys, I think this plan is going to go smooth.

screen0007.jpg

I'm optimistic :)

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
    edited July 2008
    My friend and I are still looking for people to round out our hotel room. We're staying at the Hilton Homewood Suites (very close to the convention center) and would like one or two more people in our room. Since we're taking the train, we have the room booked from Thursday night through Monday morning. If anyone is still in need of a place to stay, this is a golden opportunity. If you're interested, send me a PM.

Canticle on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited July 2008
    If you haven't already, you should also try the Hotel Room-Share Thread

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited July 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    If you haven't already, you should also try the Hotel Room-Share Thread
    Did that, no responses there so far. I figured I'd try it out here since everyone reading this thread will be spending the same number of days in Seattle, whereas most others will only be there Friday-Sunday.

Canticle on
  • IamSamIamSam Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So, me and my friend were going to jump on the train on the 28th and catch you guys with the rest of the Portland Brigade, but we're not sure how this is going to work. Things like, how are we going to meet up with you guys, and how will the planning work? Do we just board the train and find you guys?

IamSam on
  • TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    IamSam wrote: »
    Do we just board the train and find you guys?
    pretty much . . . it's not like we're hard to spot . . .

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! My first year at PAX!

Just bought my train tickets. #14 Coast Starlight, getting on in Sacramento. I'm looking forward to meeting all you guys!

I'm beyond excited right now.

Question - is it worth the extra money and time to ride the train back, or is the big party and such on the way there? It's cheaper and much less time to fly, so if I'm not missing much on the train back Californey-way, I might just hop an aeroplane.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
    edited July 2008

Look for the awesomeness. Ohhh wait Portland Brigade are you boarding the #14 Coast Starlight? Cause Amtrak added that stop back again.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • IamSamIamSam Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Awesome, we'll see you guys there, me and her will probably have a Guitar Hero and a Rock Band guitar strapped across our backs. Anything specific you guys need us to bring? Like, booze maybe?

IamSam on
This discussion has been closed.