As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

West Coast Train Trip 2008: Communist Edition

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So Eeletrik you gonna join us on the train ride yet?

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • AugustusAugustus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Downtown Seattle is meant to be taken in on foot anyways, but the transit system in town is pretty badass. Don't worry about departing from or getting back to the train station, however - pretty easy to manage if you're too lazy to hoof it to your hotel (Highfire was right on the mark).

I really should do some research into Seattle bus routes to and from the train station for the return trip.

Augustus on
    I belong to no organized party. I am a Democrat. - Will Rogers
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    So Eeletrik you gonna join us on the train ride yet?

I plan to, just need to acquire money first so I can get a ticket. Finding a job is easier said than done. Last year kicked so much ass, I sure as hell want to go again.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Add me on to the list for rockin' the train again this year.

Coming on from Bakersfield, CA with three or so non-forumers to raze.

to add to this, I'll be bringing Betrayal at House on the Hill (kick ass board game) n' maybe a few other things specifically cranium if I can make it fit.

@bel: you're gonna love this. there's men for miles, a sea of them.

Dee Kae on
  • BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    add me to the list for the train

Belruel +1 coming in from los angeles

t dee kae- a sea of men you say. (i am bringing my bf though, how many will molest him?) :winky:

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Alright, I plan on taking the train. From either LAX or Bakersfield, depending on where I live when the trip happens. If I buy LAX tickets, and it turns out I'm in Bakersfield, will they give me crap for boarding in Bakersfield?

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
    edited March 2008
    Adding Belruel +1 boyfriend and Transparent to the LAX list. We have now broken the 60 person confirmed mark!

Transparent, I don't forsee any shit happening, but I'll ask about it when I next speak with my contacts in Amtrak. My next call is tomorrow. I didn't even think we had a stop in Bakersfield, though.

Augustus on
  • Eco-MonoEco-Mono Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    As reported in the previous thread:

I will be on the arrival train. I will board with the 1st Brigade at Los Angeles.
    I may also be on the return train, in which case I would disembark with the 4th Brigade at San José.

I will be providing an internet access point, broadcast through the air at high gain to all our PAXTrain comrades.

Eco-Mono on
    edited March 2008
    also, i might be on the return train, i am still working out where the crap i will be when my roomies all leave in the evening of the 31st.

(anyone wanna let us bum in your room fro evening 31st till the morning and share a cab/get a ride for the train back?)

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
    edited April 2008
    Belruel wrote: »
    also, i might be on the return train, i am still working out where the crap i will be when my roomies all leave in the evening of the 31st.

(anyone wanna let us bum in your room fro evening 31st till the morning and share a cab/get a ride for the train back?)

The green tortoise hostel's pretty cheap if you get desperate. I'm sure you can find someone to bunk with, I'd offer but I'm not 100% sure about my group's plans this year.

Transparent on
    edited April 2008
    Augustus wrote: »
    Adding Belruel +1 boyfriend and Transparent to the LAX list. We have now broken the 60 person confirmed mark!

Transparent, I don't forsee any shit happening, but I'll ask about it when I next speak with my contacts in Amtrak. My next call is tomorrow. I didn't even think we had a stop in Bakersfield, though.

I forgot, you have to take the 703 to Sacramento then get on 14 starlight if you're taking Amtrak from the Bakersfield station (which would shave 10 hours off of the trip, notice the second option to take a bus to Bakersfield from LAX is faster, but that's less time to party!). I guess I'll have to start at LAX either way if I buy a ticket now.

Transparent on
    edited April 2008
    Sacramento people don't board the train till 11:59 PM. Those 12 hours of party you miss will be glorious.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • sobjwsobjw Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I am sad that I will miss out on almost a full day of WCTT by getting on in Oregon:( I almost considered Amtraks offer of an 8 hr bus ride to Sac to get on the train.

sobjw on
    I live on a farm.
    edited April 2008
    Motherfuckin' yeah. Eco-Mono added to the 1st Army roster.

Belruel, this is the thread for you - the hotel share thread. Do it, you meet lots of interesting people that way. I met some cool people that way. (I actually roomed with "do you think I'm paranoid" guy, actually, he was off his meds but was a pretty cool guy if a little weird when he was on them).

Augustus on
  • DStalefishDStalefish Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Speaking of which, and this doesn't help Bel in any way, a spot just opened in my room at the Sheraton, and I'd like to give anyone considering the WCTT priority on the spot. So if anyone on the trip needs a room, hit me up. :P

Only one spot though. Details are on the first page of the hotel share thread.

Also, are we going to have like....a central server for a wireless network to hook up laptops/computers to do pc gaming? Or is someone bringing a wireless router? Or CAN someone bring a wireless router if not? :P

DStalefish on
    [E] 09, 10E, 10P, 11E, 11P, 12E
    edited April 2008
    I still have no idea what went down with SE's hotel party deals. If they don't get something up I might not get a room.

And bel, at least five, yes five will molest him forcefully.

There's only only one smooth one around though, watchout for'm.

Dee Kae on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I might be going up early to hangout with one of my friends. Go see the sights at seattle. There are still some places I haven't seen like the science museum and the scifi museum also-- maybe a trip some place special :winky:

Viscountalpha on
    edited April 2008
    Motherfuckin' yeah. Eco-Mono added to the 1st Army roster.

Belruel, this is the thread for you - the hotel share thread. Do it, you meet lots of interesting people that way. I met some cool people that way. (I actually roomed with "do you think I'm paranoid" guy, actually, he was off his meds but was a pretty cool guy if a little weird when he was on them).

naw i have a hotel, its just my friends are leaving the evening of the 31st, and so is the guy who is picking my up from the train (probably) so i was just wondering if anyone else was in the same kinda thing, or wouldn't mind having a few people chilling with them till the train leaves

t dee kay- yesss (he is a pretty one boys :winky: )

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Dee Kae wrote: »
    I still have no idea what went down with SE's hotel party deals. If they don't get something up I might not get a room.

Wait what?? I think I'm missing something hueg and awesome here.

Viscountalpha on
    edited April 2008
    Belruel is trying to get her boyfriend raped, methinks. :P

Augustus on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Belruel is trying to get her boyfriend raped, methinks. :P

*volunteers*

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So just wanted to know what day the Portland Brigade(The Cascade 500) is leaving on. As I would like to join up but I may have schedule conflicts depending on when they leave.

manaleak34 on
    XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
    edited April 2008
    manaleak34 wrote: »
    So just wanted to know what day the Portland Brigade(The Cascade 500) is leaving on. As I would like to join up but I may have schedule conflicts depending on when they leave.

The OP says the 28th for Oregon people which is a Thursday.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2008
    yesss all hands on my boyfriend.

hahaha

i was thinking of trying to bring my beanbag, but its kinda big, and it would depend on w=how much other stuff i will be having. but then at least i would have a comfy-ish place to pass out at night

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
    edited April 2008
    The train seats themselves are pretty damn comfortable, it's those benches in the kiddy car that're a real pain in the ass.

someone bring long long long pillows to help with this.

Dee Kae on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It is confirmed! Propaganda has swayed two more into the fold, Highfire and I can confirm our two non-forum using friends will be joining us on the train at San Jose.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    edited April 2008
    Dee Kae wrote: »

Wait what?? I think I'm missing something hueg and awesome here.

Awhiel back a SE hotel party thread was started up to try and get all the rooms of a hotel floor, for seers in general and partying. Dunno what went down with it though, they said give'm time, n' such.

Dee Kae on
    edited April 2008
    m pretty sure it fell through, sadly

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
    edited April 2008
    I think we had the same idea here to create a "Party floor" but it was shot down since hotels don't let you pick a certain floor.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2008
    Isn't the bus part of the tunnel finished this year? The light rail's not done yet, but I think we should be able to take a bus from train station to the convention center for either $1.50 or free this time.

Transparent on
    edited April 2008
    Ah crap, time to ask around for space then.

Dee Kae on
  • Eco-MonoEco-Mono Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Isn't the bus part of the tunnel finished this year? The light rail's not done yet, but I think we should be able to take a bus from train station to the convention center for either $1.50 or free this time.
    Google Maps supports this; looks like bus #522 is basically a straight shot.

Eco-Mono on
  • Methos645Methos645 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ah, we have a new leader. (I'm a little behind on the news) If you need any help with security and such...let me know.

-M

Methos645 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    It is confirmed! Propaganda has swayed two more into the fold, Highfire and I can confirm our two non-forum using friends will be joining us on the train at San Jose.

Also one of them is willing to lend his Hard Drive for the Rock Band. Just let me get the list of songs he has, and I'll update that when he buys more.

Highfire on
    edited April 2008
    Highfire wrote: »
    Raiden333 wrote: »

Also one of them is willing to lend his Hard Drive for the Rock Band. Just let me get the list of songs he has, and I'll update that when he buys more.

The problem with just bringing the hard drive is that he would need to be connected to Xbox Live to use any of the downloaded stuff on it since it gets tied to your gamertag and the original console you downloaded it on. If you try to play it on a different 360, it needs to be on live to check the gamertag, so he would need to bring his 360, not just the hard drive.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
    edited April 2008
    Or just recover his gamertag on the 360 that we have.

DStalefish on
    edited April 2008
    DStalefish wrote: »
    Or just recover his gamertag on the 360 that we have.

Nope, doesn't work. Even if you recover the gamertag on a different console, its still a different console than the downloads are tied to, so it requires that you be online to make sure that you aren't signed in from somewhere else or whatever, its all a bunch of bullshit DRM nonsense.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
    edited April 2008
    It would probably be easier to recover the gamertag on the 360 we have, and then just redownload the songs there. I see what you mean about not being able to use the already downloaded songs, but that doesn't mean we can't just download them again. :)

That's what I did on my 360. My old Pro malfunctioned, I returned it, got an elite, recovered my gamertag and redownloaded everything.

DStalefish on
    edited April 2008
    Unless they changed something recently, I was under the impression that redownloading does not change the DRM in the file unless Microsoft sets it to on their end like they supposedly do when you send a console in to be repaired and they just send you a different one.

In fact, using my gamertag on my friend's 360 to play Rock Band, i downloaded all the songs I had already purchased at home, and everything worked fine until their internet went out and I couldn't play any of the songs I had purchased on my console.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • kazuokazuo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Unless they changed something recently, I was under the impression that redownloading does not change the DRM in the file unless Microsoft sets it to on their end like they supposedly do when you send a console in to be repaired and they just send you a different one.

In fact, using my gamertag on my friend's 360 to play Rock Band, i downloaded all the songs I had already purchased at home, and everything worked fine until their internet went out and I couldn't play any of the songs I had purchased on my console.

From what I've read, If you send your console to M$ and they send a new one to replace it, the DRM will be busted and you will be unable to access any marketplace content if you are offline (read: not connected to XBL).

So, if you're planning to play XBL Arcade games or access DLC, and you purchased the DLC/software previous to having your console repaired, it ain't gonna happen on the train.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I had my console replaced once already (I just sent it in again this week, ugh), and I always use my XBL gamertag to play, so I have no idea if this is accurate or not. I've seen plenty of threads bitching about it on other forums, though.

kazuo on
This discussion has been closed.