As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

West Coast Train Trip 2008: Communist Edition

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    For the record, Plutonium, who is also on the train, is also an Omeganaut.

Unfortunately, he doesn't have as awesome a posse as your friend clearly does, so there are no shirts or anything like that. That being said, perhaps a couple friendly games between the two of them on the trip up are in order?

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • waffleboi9waffleboi9 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's probably too late for a booze list, so people know what to bring.

To reiterate, though, I'm bringing Gin and Vodka, plus something else. Jack Daniels or tequila, not sure which.

gotcha, jack or tequila

I'm pretty set for booze (see previous posts) but I forgot to get lemons for the Cowboy Killers =D. I'll probably pick a couple up today, but we can never have too many lemons...

waffleboi9 on
  • Da JackalDa Jackal Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    For the record, Plutonium, who is also on the train, is also an Omeganaut.

Unfortunately, he doesn't have as awesome a posse as your friend clearly does, so there are no shirts or anything like that. That being said, perhaps a couple friendly games between the two of them on the trip up are in order?

Oh definitely, we'll have to set up a few preliminary sparring matches on the train. However, if Plutonium loses, he has to wear a NinjaPikachu shirt during the Omegathon... :P

Da Jackal on
    r92c8gd6zf71.png
  • Turtles or PenguinsTurtles or Penguins Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    waffleboi9 wrote: »
    It's probably too late for a booze list, so people know what to bring.

To reiterate, though, I'm bringing Gin and Vodka, plus something else. Jack Daniels or tequila, not sure which.

gotcha, jack or tequila

I'm pretty set for booze (see previous posts) but I forgot to get lemons for the Cowboy Killers =D. I'll probably pick a couple up today, but we can never have too many lemons...

Got both and some kahlua because I've never tried it.

Turtles or Penguins on
  • CanticleCanticle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    i will be drinking "apple juice" out of "sippy boxes"
    Fixed.

Canticle on
  • Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    What has you feeling nervous and anxious? =D

It's a number of things, really:
    • Going to Seattle. I've never been before. I've seldom left LA since I moved from England, really - I've been to San Diego a few times and Houston once but that's pretty much it.
    • Meeting a lot of you guys. Most of you are pretty awesome, which is great. Many of you seem to think I'm also awesome, which is great in principle provided I live up to expectations.
    • First gaming event I've been to outside of the 2006 London Game Career Fair.
    It's irrational, really. The excitement outweighs the nervousness, natch.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    ando wrote: »
    Hello fellow West Coast Train Trippers,

My good friend Brian Jo (nonjapikachu on these forums) is an Omeganaut, and he will be on the train along with an entourage of 6 or so (including dajackal, gidgets, and myself from the forums). We'll be boarding in Emeryville (near SF).

To help curry favor with the masses, we have created for him a design and had it printed on several shirts of many varieties, tote-bags, hooded sweatshirts, and even THONGS.

These are professional quality prints on high quality shirts and they look awesome.
    ninjapikachu_omega_thumb.jpg
    ninjapikachu_omega_shirt.jpg
    ninjapikachu_omega_thong.jpg
    Brian is NinjaPikachu because of his years as a Smash Bros player.

These will be FREE, and will be given away as part of mini-tournaments, challenges, or to interested parties for nothing at all. What do we ask in return? Only that these shirts are worn some at PAX and that some of you drop by the Omegathon contest to root for Brian, preferably in shirt (or THONG).

If you challenge Brian to any game from the Omegathon, you can win a shirt (assuming he's up to play). The games are: Peggle, Boom-Blox (Warlords), Geometry Wars (Vs. King), Rock Band (bring a full band), and Jenga (Trainga?).

Challenges and tournaments will be adhoc, and some of the nicer prizes (e.g. hooded sweatshirts) will be given away there. If you have any ideas drop me a message or talk to me on the train. My group will be wearing these shirts, so we shouldn't be hard to find.

We only have so many shirts, so this is "while supplies last" only.

Andy

ZOMFG! Those are SO cute!!!
    Plutonium better come up with something pretty darn snorglable to try to get favor back from the squee-set...

And,
    30 hours to EMY boarding of the PAXtrain!!!!eleventyone!!!!

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • nonjapikachunonjapikachu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

My good friend Brian Jo (nonjapikachu on these forums) is an Omeganaut, and he will be on the train along with an entourage of 6 or so (including dajackal, gidgets, and myself from the forums). We'll be boarding in Emeryville (near SF).

To help curry favor with the masses, we have created for him a design and had it printed on several shirts of many varieties, tote-bags, hooded sweatshirts, and even THONGS.

These are professional quality prints on high quality shirts and they look awesome.

These will be FREE, and will be given away as part of mini-tournaments, challenges, or to interested parties for nothing at all. What do we ask in return? Only that these shirts are worn some at PAX and that some of you drop by the Omegathon contest to root for Brian, preferably in shirt (or THONG).

If you challenge Brian to any game from the Omegathon, you can win a shirt (assuming he's up to play). The games are: Peggle, Boom-Blox (Warlords), Geometry Wars (Vs. King), Rock Band (bring a full band), and Jenga (Trainga?).

Challenges and tournaments will be adhoc, and some of the nicer prizes (e.g. hooded sweatshirts) will be given away there. If you have any ideas drop me a message or talk to me on the train. My group will be wearing these shirts, so we shouldn't be hard to find.

Andy

I am Brian Jo, and I approve this message.

nonjapikachu on
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Andy

I'm always surprised at the quality merchandise that regular people come up with, but I suppose I shouldn't be. A lot of under-appreciated, undiscovered, untapped talent will be congregating in Seattle in a few days.

I'm definitely interested in a t-shirt. Do you have XXLs? I'd be more than happy to toss a few dollars your way if I get my ass kicked and don't win one. lol.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    yeah, i want one of those shirts.

bad.

The_Reflection on
  • YasutakaYasutaka Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I depart Santa Barbara for Van Nuys in two hours. Then, from there to Union Station in the morning. The drums of war are calling us to march, comrades!

Yasutaka on
    "Sir, I got lost on the way to college, sir!"
  • PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    So hey, copyright infringement.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
    edited August 2008
    ATTN: Train-riding, PAX-going, D&D-playing Comrades!

The adventures are printed, the character sheets are stapled and the dice are ready to roll.

Preliminarily, the first D&D adventure on the WCTT will begin at (roughly) 1 PM, Wednesday. This will be followed by a second adventure later that night (some time after we finish the first one), and a third at 1 PM Thursday afternoon. I will try to make sure everyone gets to play as many of the adventures as they would like.

Everyone playing will need to fill out an RPGA membership form and make an effort to mail it in when they get home. Don't worry, you won't receive spam, just delicious rewards. If you have dice, bring them. If you have 4th Edition books, bring them. If you have a 1st-level character, bring it. If you have none of these things, don't worry. I have all of them for you.

We will be nationalizing a table of some sort, and I'll try to get an announcement out to the party at large before the game starts.

I have, currently signed up:

Mr. Snuffle
    Alex B.
    Sean H. + 1
    Jeff C.
    Jace
    John H.
    waffleboi9

If you already mentioned that you want to play and don't see yourself there, let me know. And if you haven't signed up, don't worry, there's still space.

Canticle on
    edited August 2008
    PotU wrote: »

PAX does not recognize the DMCA

The_Reflection on
    edited August 2008
    Canticle wrote: »

The adventures are printed, the character sheets are stapled and the dice are ready to roll.

Preliminarily, the first D&D adventure on the WCTT will begin at (roughly) 1 PM, Wednesday. This will be followed by a second adventure later that night (some time after we finish the first one), and a third at 1 PM Thursday afternoon. I will try to make sure everyone gets to play as many of the adventures as they would like.

Everyone playing will need to fill out an RPGA membership form and make an effort to mail it in when they get home. Don't worry, you won't receive spam, just delicious rewards. If you have dice, bring them. If you have 4th Edition books, bring them. If you have a 1st-level character, bring it. If you have none of these things, don't worry. I have all of them for you.

We will be nationalizing a table of some sort, and I'll try to get an announcement out to the party at large before the game starts. Hope to see everyone there!

Mr. Snuffle
    Alex B.
    Sean H. + 1
    Jeff C.
    Jace
    John H.
    waffleboi9

If you already mentioned that you want to play and don't see yourself there, let me know. And if you haven't signed up, don't worry, there's still space.

id like to get in on the thursday game, plz.

The_Reflection on
  • PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008

Pikachu

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • andoando Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    No XXL shirts are available, sorry. They would have cost extra.

There are XLs of different fittings however, and some may fit pretty loose. There are some tote-bags available for those who can't use the apparel. They will be a little harder to come by simply because there are less of them and we are using them to hold the shirts.

ando on
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Pikachu

Have you seen the button trading thread? Copyright concerns don't seem to be limiting anyone 'round these parts.

SlickShughes on
  • andoando Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Relevant article:
    http://www.gamerevolution.com/manifesto/view.php?id=561

You can see the back here.

Oh, and by "a few hundred", he means around 50. =)

ando on
  • contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So what is the temperature like on the train? is it cold? should I wear pants instead of shorts? Would a sweatshirt or jacket be advised?

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    BTW, request... Once operations are up and running from the people getting on in LA, could someone make a post here regarding what car the HQ is in? Last year my buddy and I only met up with the group because people walked by and saw our PAX shirts. I assume there's going to be enough of us that it won't be a major issue, but better to be prepared with information.

'Course, if it's anything like last year, there will be quite a fair bit of posting in this thread throughout the trip. :P

edit:
    contrefait wrote: »
    So what is the temperature like on the train? is it cold? should I wear pants instead of shorts? Would a sweatshirt or jacket be advised?

Extremely comfortable at night, pretty damn hot during the day when we're all crammed into that small room. I'd suggest bringing a pair of shorts.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    BTW, request... Once operations are up and running from the people getting on in LA, could someone make a post here regarding what car the HQ is in? Last year my buddy and I only met up with the group because people walked by and saw our PAX shirts. I assume there's going to be enough of us that it won't be a major issue, but better to be prepared with information.

'Course, if it's anything like last year, there will be quite a fair bit of posting in this thread throughout the trip. :P

edit:
    contrefait wrote: »

Extremely comfortable at night, pretty damn hot during the day when we're all crammed into that small room. I'd suggest bringing a pair of shorts.

I'm bringing a little 8" fan that will help a tiny little bit in circulating the stale, geek-smelling air.

I'm also bringing LIQUIDS FOR EVERYONE (sort of)! Just got back from Costco with a 36-pack of Mt. Dew and a 12-pack of Stella Artois.

I also got Clif bars, dried fruit/nut mix, and beef jerky to fill my backpack. Snacky foods will keep me going during the train ride.

I board the train at midnight tomorrow in Sacramento. There better be action going on at midnight - if I get on and everyone is sleeping, I'm going to be sad.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
    edited August 2008
    I can guarantee action will still be going on at midnight... At least half the people last year were awake all night, it seemed, myself included.

Raiden333 on
    edited August 2008
    Arco wrote: »
    I board the train at midnight tomorrow in Sacramento. There better be action going on at midnight - if I get on and everyone is sleeping, I'm going to be sad.

Oh you better believe it. It'll be a rare opportunity to drink after 2AM =D.

waffleboi9 on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It'll be a rare opportunity to drink before 2PM =D.

>.>

<.<

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited August 2008
    so, when I get on the train thursday morning, will i be greeted by hungover train buddies?

The_Reflection on
  • Andrew RyanAndrew Ryan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I can't recall sleeping on the trip last year.. only.. wanting to..

Andrew Ryan on
    Mbt2W.gifbLHcF.gifMbt2W.gifbLHcF.gif
    naknaknaknaknak
    edited August 2008
    so, when I get on the train thursday morning, will i be greeted by hungover train buddies?

You only get a hangover if you stop drinking. <_<

Raiden333 on
  • Turtles or PenguinsTurtles or Penguins Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

We will be nationalizing a table of some sort, and I'll try to get an announcement out to the party at large before the game starts.

Mr. Snuffle
    Alex B.
    Sean H. + 1
    Jeff C.
    Jace
    John H.
    waffleboi9

I'll join. Im just really new, so I hope its ok if ask questions, but i'll try to bone up on it before we start.

Turtles or Penguins on
  • PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    ATTENTION NONJAPIKACHU

I suggest some form of Soviet Non-Agression Pact, whereby we hone our skills together on the ride up, so that we may cut a swath through the other Omega-nots.

I also am bringing 50 limited-edition Plutonium buttons, which may or may not all be given out in the first two hours.

While your posse may have the advantage in size, mine will have the advantage in boozed-up spreadsheet statisticians.

Plutonium on
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Plutonium wrote: »
    While your posse may have the advantage in size, mine will have the advantage in boozed-up spreadsheet statisticians.

Represent!

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited August 2008
    Plutonium wrote: »
    boozed-up spreadsheet statisticians.

I like you already.

Raiden333 on
    edited August 2008
    visiblehowl! With the power of booze!

MrBlarney! With the power of math and statistics!

Plutonium! With the power of youth, vigor, and occasionally-being-a-crankypants!

Infidel! With the power of Canada! (He'll meet us at PAX)

Together, we are...uh...some guys supporting Plutonium in the Omegathon....

I need a better finishing line. Also, I should be known for something besides just booze. :P

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited August 2008

Mr. Snuffle
    Alex B.
    Sean H. + 1
    Jeff C.
    Jace
    John H.
    waffleboi9

I'll join. Im just really new, so I hope its ok if ask questions, but i'll try to bone up on it before we start.
    That's cool. I'll put you down.

Canticle on
    edited August 2008
    I'd like to join in on the D&D thing too. I was under the impression that it was more serious than it actually is, for some reason.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Checklist...
    • Clothes
    • Booze
    • Non-booze liquids
    • Snacks
    • Pillow
    • Electronics
    • Games/Magic cards
    • Phone
    • Hotel info
    • Bath supplies
    • Ticket info
    • Maps
    • PAX Schedule printout
    • Cash money
    • Tied up loose ends
    Just going over stuff for another 30 minutes then going to sleep. Tomorrow, I shall meet the rest of the LA contingency and I am excited that IT'S FINALLY HERE CHOO CHOOOO!

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • DStalefishDStalefish Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'll see you LA fuckers tomorrow at 8am :P

DStalefish on
    [E] 09, 10E, 10P, 11E, 11P, 12E
    edited August 2008
    Packing! So since I'm bringing my backpack and my poker chips, I can only bring one carry-on. This caused an interesting conundrum. How do I get all this shit into my duffle bag? I documented my process:

First, a comparison:
    Packing001.jpg

The duffle bag is behind all my stuff. The "stuff" includes:

4 2-liter bottles of soda
    1 750 ml bottle of Bombay Sapphire (gin)
    1 750 ml bottle of Milagro Silver (tequila)
    1 750 ml bottle of Finlandia (vodka)
    1 bag of chips
    1 bag of beef jerky
    1 chess/backgammon/checkers/chinese-checkers/cribbage set
    1 Zombie Fluxx set

First things first; in goes the chess set and the gin.
    Packing002.jpg

Then, a 2-liter bottle of soda in each of the side pockets.
    Packing003.jpg

Then the vodka, tequila, and one of the 2-liters go on top of the chess set and gin.
    Packing004.jpg

Then the chips, jerky, and last 2-liter go on top of those.
    Packing005.jpg

Lastly, Zombie Fluxx goes on top of the jerky.
    Packing006.jpg

Voila! All done! 34+ pounds, and we're all set for the trip!
    Packing007.jpg

This has been an Entirely Uninteresting production.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited August 2008
    DStalefish wrote: »
    I'll see you LA fuckers tomorrow at 8am :P

RAGGRGRG, you guys reminded me of stuff I still have to do!!

Tonight: finish packing, look for surge protector, make 4e character sheet

Tomorrow morning, gotta get cash, sandwiches

WOO!

waffleboi9 on
  • TorgenTorgen Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Liquid-wise, I have 4 each of Calpico (a.k.a. Calpis Water), Strawberry Calpico, and Birch Beer (a.k.a. wintergreen soda) in a Safeway tote bag.

Torgen on
This discussion has been closed.