As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

West Coast Train Trip 2008: Communist Edition

• elilasolelilasol Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The day is almost here! I will be boarding in salem, OR, and have one day left to pack and plan all my shit. Looking forward to meeting everyone, and I really wanna play some rockband on the ride up.

elilasol on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2008
    Plutonium, my brother, save me a button!

See you bitches tomorrow.

Unknown User on
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Plutonium wrote: »
    boozed-up spreadsheet statisticians.

I like you already.

Sounds like my kind of support staff.

SlickShughes on
  • HaikufrenzyHaikufrenzy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well, on the one hand all of you Californians get to go on the train a day early...

ON THE OTHER HAND, us Oregonians don't have to LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...

Fair exchange...

Haikufrenzy on
    RazorbackKing.png
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well, on the one hand all of you Californians get to go on the train a day early...

Fair exchange...

Jealousy doesn't become of you.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    edited August 2008
    Raiden333 wrote: »

Fair exchange...

Jealousy doesn't become of you.

That's right man... I'm cold hard rock steady like I hang out with be bop.

Haikufrenzy on
    RazorbackKing.png
  • nonjapikachunonjapikachu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    ATTENTION NONJAPIKACHU

I suggest some form of Soviet Non-Agression Pact, whereby we hone our skills together on the ride up, so that we may cut a swath through the other Omega-nots.

I also am bringing 50 limited-edition Plutonium buttons, which may or may not all be given out in the first two hours.

While your posse may have the advantage in size, mine will have the advantage in boozed-up spreadsheet statisticians.
    Plutonium, I agree to your non-aggression pact. We can both benefit from cooperation.

Also, although your posse may include spreadsheet statisticians who are full of booze and alliteration, my team has the coders who write the programs your statisticians use.

We even have a few girls. And yes, they're real and not just on our desktops.

NinjaPikachu

nonjapikachu on
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    DVDs I just stuffed into my backpack:

Cowboy Bebop complete series
    Chapelle's Show Season 2 (the good one)
    Rejected
    Red vs. Blue Season 1
    Superbad
    Bruce Campbell vs. The Army of Darkness

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    ATTENTION NONJAPIKACHU

I suggest some form of Soviet Non-Agression Pact, whereby we hone our skills together on the ride up, so that we may cut a swath through the other Omega-nots.

I also am bringing 50 limited-edition Plutonium buttons, which may or may not all be given out in the first two hours.

While your posse may have the advantage in size, mine will have the advantage in boozed-up spreadsheet statisticians.
    Plutonium, I agree to your non-aggression pact. We can both benefit from cooperation.

Also, although your posse may include spreadsheet statisticians who are full of booze and alliteration, my team has the coders who write the programs your statisticians use.

We even have a few girls. And yes, they're real and not just on our desktops.

NinjaPikachu

We roll-our-own programs for analysis. 8-)

I wish I could be on the train. :( But I shall meet you guys after dinner when you arrive, and then Canada shall be representin'!

Better save at least one button to trade for mine, Plut.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • waffleboi9waffleboi9 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    @visiblehowl: impressive packing job. I was going to document my process as well, but I ended up unpacking shit too often =P.

PS: Good choice on the Bombay Saphire! =D

waffleboi9 on
  • John-311John-311 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I am driving from Portland, OR up to PAX Friday morning and am open to people carpooling with me. PM me if you're interested.

John-311 on
    edited August 2008
    John-311 wrote: »
    I am driving from Portland, OR up to PAX Friday morning and am open to people carpooling with me. PM me if you're interested.

Don't think you'll find any takers in this thread, friend.

SlickShughes on
    edited August 2008
    Still packing! I have a full suitcase, backpack, and messenger bag. Of course, there will be considerable relief after the train ride up and all the booze/snacks are consumed, but for now, this is a pretty hefty load. The thing is, nothing can be moved to my suitcase either, because I need all my shiz to carry on.

Hope the bus lets me on with all this gear =D.

waffleboi9 on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    For the record, when I get on, I'll be the guy in the bright green Tofu Records shirt and UCLA hat.

I'll probably wear the UCLA hat throughout the con, so people can recognize me.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited August 2008
    As dawn draws near, my standards have gotten lower. I'm going to forego fully cleaning my room. At least my bed is made =D. As for my Eladrin Rogue, I'm sure I'll have plenty of time tomorrow to roll her.

Good night interwebz, sleep well for tomorrow we dine in hell!!!11!11!one!!

waffleboi9 on
  • VanderVander Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I was at my friends place earlier and the Surfliner passes right by there.

I was just imagining you bastards inside having a great time ahead of everyone....then I was wishing I could hate you to death.

Vander on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I wish my sleep schedule wasn't weird so I could actually sleep right now.

I'm going to get like 3 hours before I have to be up. Blah.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • TorgenTorgen Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm sure I'm not going to get any work done tomorrow in anticipation of the train. Also, checking the train status to make sure it doesn't get to San Jose a half hour early and leave without me.

Torgen on
    edited August 2008
    Arco wrote: »
    DVDs I just stuffed into my backpack:

Cowboy Bebop complete series
    Chapelle's Show Season 2 (the good one)
    Rejected
    Red vs. Blue Season 1
    Superbad
    Bruce Campbell vs. The Army of Darkness

That reminds me, I was bringing a case of a bunch of MST3K episodes.

Manos FTW!

Haikufrenzy on
    RazorbackKing.png
  • YasutakaYasutaka Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This is how devoted (and love-to-deathably stupid) I am:

I have lost my ticket.

What I remember: I put it in something.
    Where I am: Not where it is.
    How possible it is to get the ticket in time to board the train, anywhere: Not

Solution:
    1. Freak Out
    2. Call Amtrak
    3. Freak Out to Amtrak
    4. ...for maybe an hour
    5. Get a Reservation-Number-Type-Thingy
    6. Provide Amtrak Employees with Reservation-Number-Type-Thingy
    7. Re-purchase Ticket at Full Price ($192)
    8. Possible (read: unlikely) partial refund if original ticket is found
    9. ????
    10. Profit!

I am paying a little under $400 to ride with you bitches... most of the way, in a seat.

But I still love you. See you guys in the morning.

If anyone wants to meet up ahead of time at Union Station, I get email on my phone: [email removed]
    Also: [number removed]

Otherwise, I guess I'll just be on the platform.[/email]

Yasutaka on
    "Sir, I got lost on the way to college, sir!"
  • dawningphoenixdawningphoenix Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Noooo....
    So due to some events beyond my control, I'm on the wrong side of the country, and will be unable to go to PAX this year. So I won't be boarding at LA. Thought our fearless leader should know.

I'll see you bums in 365 days.

dawningphoenix on
    edited August 2008
    Noooo....
    So due to some events beyond my control, I'm on the wrong side of the country, and will be unable to go to PAX this year. So I won't be boarding at LA. Thought our fearless leader should know.

I'll see you bums in 365 days.

That blows man, I've made that mistake.... except instead of being on the wrong coast, I was in Australia.

To my credit, it looks exactly like the United States in a mirror. Upside down.

Yasutaka on
  • PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    For the record, when I get on, I'll be the guy in the bright green Tofu Records shirt and UCLA hat.

I'll probably wear the UCLA hat throughout the con, so people can recognize me.

I shall be the one in the labcoat!

Plutonium on
  • CanticleCanticle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh god it's...it's morning.

I haven't been up this early in so long.

It feels like Christmas. Presents are waiting under a tree, except instead of a tree I have an entire train car and it takes me to Seattle.

You guys remember that Polar Express book and movie? The one where kids get whisked away on a magic train to the North Pole to visit Mr. Claus, etc.? I just realized, we're riding the slightly more grown up version of that, and instead of the North Pole it stops at PAX.

Canticle on
  • ThreeletterThreeletter Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So my dad's dropping me off two hours early on his way to work cause I don't have a car, so if anyone spots a long-haired neckbeard chillin' at union station with a "This is how I roll" katamari t-shirt, say hi.

Threeletter on
    edited August 2008
    Hope initial boarding went well. Post something up when the WiFi is up and running. See yall in 12 hours or so.

SlickShughes on
  • Puny HumanPuny Human Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's train day! It's train day! It's train day! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

ARCADIANS, TRANSFORM AND ROLL OUT!

Puny Human on
  • Johnny5Johnny5 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So the train is leaving California today, and will arrive in Seattle tomorrow night? Thought it would take less time for a train trip.

Johnny5 on
  • nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Canticle wrote: »
    Oh god it's...it's morning.

I haven't been up this early in so long.

It feels like Christmas. Presents are waiting under a tree, except instead of a tree I have an entire train car and it takes me to Seattle.

You guys remember that Polar Express book and movie? The one where kids get whisked away on a magic train to the North Pole to visit Mr. Claus, etc.? I just realized, we're riding the slightly more grown up version of that, and instead of the North Pole it stops at PAX.

Oh god! It's morning!
    Do you know all the sh*t I have to DO in the next twelve hours???? 8-)

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • Puny HumanPuny Human Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Johnny5 wrote: »
    So the train is leaving California today, and will arrive in Seattle tomorrow night? Thought it would take less time for a train trip.

The Good Old US of A has lousy rail infrastructure, so no hi-speed 200MPH trains for us.

Puny Human on
  • sobjwsobjw Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hope initial boarding went well. Post something up when the WiFi is up and running.

This might work out that the 1000th post in the thread is the first post from the actual train.

sobjw on
    I live on a farm.
  • SakebombSakebomb Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Arrived in LA this morning to drop of the rental car at four a.m. Longest morning ever! Finally, 30 minutes til boarding, Chillin at union station!

Sakebomb on
  • NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    On the train now, in room 14 in car 1430. No PAX folkx in this car other than myself, so one of you wonderful bastards should swing by sometime. Also, post what car you are in so we can get an idea of who is here and where they are.

Nijhazer on
    edited August 2008
    Nijhazer wrote: »
    On the train now, in room 14 in car 1430. No PAX folkx in this car other than myself, so one of you wonderful bastards should swing by sometime. Also, post what car you are in so we can get an idea of who is here and where they are.

Suiryu and I are in car 1430, too, so we'll see you in Emeryville this evening. Now we can be each other's alibi that we're not really Capitalist enemies of the state who like to sleep at night. :D

nemaihne on
    edited August 2008
    We are in car 1414, @ the back of the train.

Also: FUCK YEAH! PAX Train begins!

EDIT: Why is my text small!?

Yasutaka on
  • NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Here's a really, really stupid question. Is it safe to plug chargers for the DS, laptop, etc into the 120 volt outlet in the cars? It is marked "razor only", and I don't see any other outlets.

Nijhazer on
  • The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    do it

The_Reflection on
  • The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Okay, so I need the opinion of people who have been onthe train before.

Do you think we will make it there before 10pm for the dinner, or is it not worth the possible loss of $20 (my money is tight)

The_Reflection on
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Do you think we will make it there before 10pm for the dinner, or is it not worth the possible loss of $20 (my money is tight)

Are you talking about the PrePAX dinner? It's $30, and you won't make it. Well, if the stars all align and you rush, you may make it before they close the doors on you, but it's probably a bad idea to bother.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited August 2008

I would spend that money elsewhere. Even if we get in exactly on time, you're cutting it close. You have to unload the train, get from the station to wherever you're staying (and if you're the one checking into the room that's an additional delay) dump your stuff then find the dinner. Add in that probable two hour delay in Klamath and it just doesn't seem mathematically sound.

nemaihne on
This discussion has been closed.