As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

West Coast Train Trip 2008: Communist Edition

• sobjwsobjw Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    nemaihne wrote: »
    Okay, so I need the opinion of people who have been onthe train before.

Do you think we will make it there before 10pm for the dinner, or is it not worth the possible loss of $20 (my money is tight)

I would spend that money elsewhere. Even if we get in exactly on time, you're cutting it close. You have to unload the train, get from the station to wherever you're staying (and if you're the one checking into the room that's an additional delay) dump your stuff then find the dinner. Add in that probable two hour delay in Klamath and it just doesn't seem mathematically sound.

Yeah, I essentially gave up on that dream a while ago. On a plus note, Arco will be joining us in the hotel to alleviate some of the cost since my stupid friend isn't coming.

sobjw on
    I live on a farm.
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I wish I were on the train with you magnificent bastards right now. Instead, I am in a history of jazz class.

:(

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, this is Jose from your Coast Starlight snack bar. You won't fucking believe all the shit we have available for you today. We have a sandwich. It has meat, and also some bread, with more bread on the top. We have chocolate covered bees. Ever wanted to eat a bee? Well, today is your lucky day. Put that stinger in your mouth and suck on it. We have bacon and crawdads, harvested right here in the great state of California. We have whole rooms full of Turkish Delight. We have a new dish that I have decided to call Rupert...

Nijhazer on
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Raslin wrote: »
    I wish I were on the train with you magnificent bastards right now. Instead, I am in a history of jazz class.

:(

<-- is at work, worrying he forgot to pack something

SlickShughes on
  • TorgenTorgen Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Can someone on the train ask how late the dining car is open?

Torgen on
    edited August 2008
    The snack bar is open until midnight.

Nijhazer on
  • DStalefishDStalefish Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    We're HQed on the top of the obs car and we're not hard to spot.

DStalefish on
    [E] 09, 10E, 10P, 11E, 11P, 12E
  • The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    hows the supposed "Arcade Room"?

The_Reflection on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    hows the supposed "Arcade Room"?

Yeah, is there no kiddy-car with TV anymore, or did we just have enough monitors and numbers that we can take over the Obs for the whole trip?

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    edited August 2008
    what the hell did they put in its place? just storage? Or when you walk through the door to the kiddie room, do you just fall of the train?

The_Reflection on
    edited August 2008
    what the hell did they put in its place? just storage? Or when you walk through the door to the kiddie room, do you just fall of the train?

I'm not on the train, I was asking.

Raiden333 on
    edited August 2008
    oh i see

The_Reflection on
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    TRAIN MADNESS IS UNDERWAY!

I won't be on it until midnight tonight or later. But I'll see you all soon!

Right now I'm painting Mordheim figures in mega ultra bonus round lightning fast mode, listening to Jay-Z, packing my bags, and generally freaking out.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • parasyteparasyte Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Arco wrote: »

Right now I'm painting Mordheim figures in mega ultra bonus round lightning fast mode, listening to Jay-Z, packing my bags, and generally freaking out.

Getting on in Sacramento like me? I'm counting down the hours... at work. I have about three hours of driving to do, good thing I have 95%+ of my stuff packed already. Looking forward to reporting on at 11:59 or whenever it is that the train actually rolls in.

parasyte on
  • gidgetsgidgets Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hey people on the train! I see you guys are able to get online. Is there a wireless router set up for people to share? How are you guys getting internet? Unlimited data cel phone?

gidgets on
  • PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Someone go find Jacob Cormier. He's skinny, has blonde hair and wears glasses. Please tell him that his hentai collection arrived. It's important.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
    edited August 2008
    gidgets wrote: »
    Hey people on the train! I see you guys are able to get online. Is there a wireless router set up for people to share? How are you guys getting internet? Unlimited data cel phone?

In my case, I am using a BlackBerry Pearl to access the forums. In car 1430, there is no wi-fi at this time. I met a gentleman named David during lunch, and he mentioned that there is a project underway in the Obs car to get wi-fi up and running.

Nijhazer on
  • nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Nijhazer wrote: »
    gidgets wrote: »

In my case, I am using a BlackBerry Pearl to access the forums. In car 1430, there is no wi-fi at this time. I met a gentleman named David during lunch, and he mentioned that there is a project underway in the Obs car to get wi-fi up and running.

You know you're allowed to leave your room for the obs car, right? :P
    [This is particularly funny if you know how nervous I am around real, living people...]

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • RCars2RCars2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ladies and Gentleman, the wifi and internet service is up and running on the PAX train. The wireless side is working well and we are getting great signal in the obs car and some signal in the immediate cars around. Beyond that we are waiting on another router to extend the signal. As for internet, its a little slow and dodgy but it is working.

If you are on the train and need information on how to connect, see me in the observation deck and i will be glad to assist.

RCars2 on
    carlinsig.png
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That is glorious.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    parasyte wrote: »

Getting on in Sacramento like me? I'm counting down the hours... at work. I have about three hours of driving to do, good thing I have 95%+ of my stuff packed already. Looking forward to reporting on at 11:59 or whenever it is that the train actually rolls in.

Oh hai! Yeah, Sacramento! I didn't see anyone else boarding there. This makes me much happier.

I'll be the stocky dude in the "Part Human/Part Machine/Henry Rollins 2008 Tour" shirt with too much luggage.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
    edited August 2008
    nemaihne wrote: »
    You know you're allowed to leave your room for the obs car, right? :P

As a matter of fact, I just returned from the Obs car. There is no space available for anyone at the moment, either to sit or to stand. I don't know if there are any plans to extend PAX operations outside of the Obs car at a later point.

Nijhazer on
    edited August 2008
    Ok, we have a situation, sending out an SOS if ya will. We need both a 360 and rock band for the train. TNTrooper has informed me we no longer have access to either. I may or may not be able to keep a connection to acknowledge any responses but please if you can bring any items post here so ya all may coordinate and i will follow up when i can.

RCars2 on
    carlinsig.png
    edited August 2008
    Oh hai! Yeah, Sacramento! I didn't see anyone else boarding there. This makes me much happier.

I'll be the stocky dude in the "Part Human/Part Machine/Henry Rollins 2008 Tour" shirt with too much luggage.

I'll be the whitest mexican ever wearing a hawaiian shirt with a Hell Girl man-purse, and possibly a decent entourage of which only two will be getting on the train.

Edit: I can bring a 360 if required (including component and VGA cables), but I cannot bring Rock Band. I do however have probably 80 DLC songs (more than that, but I only think I have like 80 on that particular 360).
    And again, I'm not getting on until Midnight.

parasyte on
  • StarstewStarstew Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    No room in the obscar? Fine, I'll challenge you all to some Wipeout Pulse from the comfort of my own seat.

Starstew on
  • Turtles or PenguinsTurtles or Penguins Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    there was a guy going ape shit with one of the arcades downstairs.
    Oddly he wasn't one of us.

Turtles or Penguins on
    edited August 2008

I'll be the whitest mexican ever wearing a hawaiian shirt with a Hell Girl man-purse, and possibly a decent entourage of which only two will be getting on the train.

Edit: I can bring a 360 if required (including component and VGA cables), but I cannot bring Rock Band. I do however have probably 80 DLC songs (more than that, but I only think I have like 80 on that particular 360).

Thats a start, where do you get on?

RCars2 on
    carlinsig.png
    edited August 2008
    RCars2 wrote: »

Thats a start, where do you get on?

Getting on in Sacramento, I guess the scheduled time is 11:59pm.

Edit: thinking about it I can bring the disc and a mic, and may be able to fit the GH3 Les Paul in with my carry-ons, but that'll be only one guitar and no drums. No possibility of getting another bag for the drums/strat carryon.

parasyte on
  • CAP CbassCAP Cbass Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ok, we have a situation, sending out an SOS if ya will. We need both a 360 and rock band for the train. TNTrooper has informed me we no longer have access to either. I may or may not be able to keep a connection to acknowledge any responses but please if you can bring any items post here so ya all may coordinate and i will follow up when i can.

I really dont want to pack around my rockband equipment (wired drums,mic,guitar) but I guess I can bring mine if its still needed. Getting on in Klamath Falls. Im not sure if im bringing my 360 yet but if I do I DONT have any DLC songs for it.

CAP Cbass on
    CAP Cbass
    Xbox Ambassador
    CAP+Cbass.png
  • PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm posting from the train right now, just in front of me there's seven guys playing D&D 4E, and behind me is a 27" monitor with a SNES and a Wii plugged in, currently running Brawl.

No sign of NonjaPikachu just yet.

Plutonium on
    edited August 2008
    As an addendum to the above, if you are not already seated with the WCTT crew on the observation deck, you will not be able to participate. If you haven't boarded yet, be sure to bring anything that you want to play with WCTT folks in and around your car.

Nijhazer on
    edited August 2008
    Is there any more space that WCTT can take over?

Torgen on
  • Da JackalDa Jackal Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    CAP Cbass wrote: »

I really dont want to pack around my rockband equipment (wired drums,mic,guitar) but I guess I can bring mine if its still needed. Getting on in Klamath Falls. Im not sure if im bringing my 360 yet but if I do I DONT have any DLC songs for it.

I've consulted our group, and collectively we will be able to supply the full Rock Band experience when we board at Emeryville at 10pm. (Coincidentally, last year's 360 and guitars in the kids room were supplied by myself, so it'll be a familiar experience! :P). We'll have a fair amount of DLC on the 360, and all the instruments are represented, although one of our guitars has a broken tilt sensor, and the pedal is... well... interesting. We definitely would appreciate any assistance with better working versions of those particular items.

Also, one big downside for us is that we're flying back, not taking the train. So unless someone else steps up, there will be no rock band on the return trip for everyone. Still, half a trip is better than none, right? In addition, checking in all the equipment at the airport will be a major pain for us (not to mention carrying all of our FREE OMEGANAUT T-SHIRTS!!!), so if anyone can post here before 9pm and relieve us of our equipment duties (in part or in full), it would be greatly appreciated!

Cbass, when (i.e. what time) do you board at Klamath Falls? Feel free to PM me if you have specific items you'd like to help out with, perhaps we can coordinate our efforts.

Plutonium wrote: »
    I'm posting from the train right now, just in front of me there's seven guys playing D&D 4E, and behind me is a 27" monitor with a SNES and a Wii plugged in, currently running Brawl.

Brian (aka NinjaPikachu) is part of our group, and we're boarding in Emeryville, so you won't see us until 10pm. Can't wait to get started!

Da Jackal on
    r92c8gd6zf71.png
    edited August 2008
    The WCTT folks currently in the observation deck are using about half of the space in there, with other passengers using the other half. All of the systems available at this time are occupied. If new boarders bring more systems and games, we can spread this out to some of the cars in the back. I have space available in 1430, and someone else in the thread mentioned 1414, I believe. But right now we don't have anything else to play.

I really wish I had brought Bomberman Land Touch. It supports eight players on one cartridge.

Nijhazer on
  • Prof. PanglossProf. Pangloss Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    For the record, when I get on, I'll be the guy in the bright green Tofu Records shirt and UCLA hat.

I'll probably wear the UCLA hat throughout the con, so people can recognize me.

I shall be the one in the labcoat!

Ha! I almost brought a labcoat to stand out on the train, *that* would have been confusing.

Prof. Pangloss on
    edited August 2008
    I will have a non-video game, so hopefully 'cars in the back' will include table space.

Torgen on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Did you hook up with robohobo yet?

He's the one with the neckbeards.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • IamSamIamSam Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Do you guys still need more booze, even if we're getting on in Portland?

IamSam on
  • CAP CbassCAP Cbass Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Da Jackal wrote: »
    CAP Cbass wrote: »

I've consulted our group, and collectively we will be able to supply the full Rock Band experience when we board at Emeryville at 10pm. (Coincidentally, last year's 360 and guitars in the kids room were supplied by myself, so it'll be a familiar experience! :P). We'll have a fair amount of DLC on the 360, and all the instruments are represented, although one of our guitars has a broken tilt sensor, and the pedal is... well... interesting. We definitely would appreciate any assistance with better working versions of those particular items.

Also, one big downside for us is that we're flying back, not taking the train. So unless someone else steps up, there will be no rock band on the return trip for everyone. Still, half a trip is better than none, right? In addition, checking in all the equipment at the airport will be a major pain for us (not to mention carrying all of our FREE OMEGANAUT T-SHIRTS!!!), so if anyone can post here before 9pm and relieve us of our equipment duties (in part or in full), it would be greatly appreciated!

Cbass, when (i.e. what time) do you board at Klamath Falls? Feel free to PM me if you have specific items you'd like to help out with, perhaps we can coordinate our efforts..

I board at 8:25am on Thursday. Thats about 12 hours of playtime both ways. I already bought a cheep bag for it all a few minutes ago and wrapped the full setup in my Yoda blanket for saftey, it surprisingly fits nice in that bag for only $13. I also have my USB extensions giving about 6 extra feet of length. I only found one so far but am looking for the other 2. As far as I know there is nothing wrong with any of the peripherals, I never use the damn things.
    DSC00002sss.jpg

CAP Cbass on
    CAP Cbass
    Xbox Ambassador
    CAP+Cbass.png
    edited August 2008
    Highfire and I will be boarding in San Jose in about 3.5 hours, with a 360 with 4 controllers and Castle Crashers. So yeah, we'd like space on the monitor/TV at SOME point throughout the trip, as this is one of the best group games around. :P

Raiden333 on
This discussion has been closed.