As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

West Coast Train Trip 2008: Communist Edition

• SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Highfire and I will be boarding in San Jose in about 3.5 hours, with a 360 with 4 controllers and Castle Crashers. So yeah, we'd like space on the monitor/TV at SOME point throughout the trip, as this is one of the best group games around. :P

Wooooo! castle crashers! I was hoping beyond hope that someone would have it on the train.

SlickShughes on
  • The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    so there is an arcade on the train?

should I bring a bag of quarters?

The_Reflection on
  • Da JackalDa Jackal Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    CAP Cbass wrote: »
    Da Jackal wrote: »
    RCars2 wrote: »
    Ok, we have a situation, sending out an SOS if ya will. We need both a 360 and rock band for the train. TNTrooper has informed me we no longer have access to either. I may or may not be able to keep a connection to acknowledge any responses but please if you can bring any items post here so ya all may coordinate and i will follow up when i can.

I really dont want to pack around my rockband equipment (wired drums,mic,guitar) but I guess I can bring mine if its still needed. Getting on in Klamath Falls. Im not sure if im bringing my 360 yet but if I do I DONT have any DLC songs for it.

I've consulted our group, and collectively we will be able to supply the full Rock Band experience when we board at Emeryville at 10pm. (Coincidentally, last year's 360 and guitars in the kids room were supplied by myself, so it'll be a familiar experience! :P). We'll have a fair amount of DLC on the 360, and all the instruments are represented, although one of our guitars has a broken tilt sensor, and the pedal is... well... interesting. We definitely would appreciate any assistance with better working versions of those particular items.

Also, one big downside for us is that we're flying back, not taking the train. So unless someone else steps up, there will be no rock band on the return trip for everyone. Still, half a trip is better than none, right? In addition, checking in all the equipment at the airport will be a major pain for us (not to mention carrying all of our FREE OMEGANAUT T-SHIRTS!!!), so if anyone can post here before 9pm and relieve us of our equipment duties (in part or in full), it would be greatly appreciated!

Cbass, when (i.e. what time) do you board at Klamath Falls? Feel free to PM me if you have specific items you'd like to help out with, perhaps we can coordinate our efforts..

I board at 8:25am on Thursday. Thats about 12 hours of playtime both ways. I already bought a cheep bag for it all a few minutes ago and wrapped the full setup in my Yoda blanket for saftey, it surprisingly fits nice in that bag for only $13. I also have my USB extensions giving about 6 extra feet of length. I only found one so far but am looking for the other 2. As far as I know there is nothing wrong with any of the peripherals, I never use the damn things.
    DSC00002sss.jpg

Nice packing job! I wish we were that organized with our setup... I think given that you'll be on the train 10 hours after us, we'll still go ahead with our plan of bringing everything (10 hours of extra rock band is SO worth it), but I'd love to swap in your better equipment once you arrive. It'll give ours a chance to rest :) Plus, it means that there will be glorious rock band for 12 hours on the return trip for everyone else (minus DLC though :| ).

Highfire and I will be boarding in San Jose in about 3.5 hours, with a 360 with 4 controllers and Castle Crashers. So yeah, we'd like space on the monitor/TV at SOME point throughout the trip, as this is one of the best group games around. :P

Since we're also bringing a 360, if there are two TV's available, we could system link for some 4v4 Halo... :winky:

Da Jackal on
    r92c8gd6zf71.png
  • IamSamIamSam Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    RCars2 wrote: »
    Ok, we have a situation, sending out an SOS if ya will. We need both a 360 and rock band for the train. TNTrooper has informed me we no longer have access to either. I may or may not be able to keep a connection to acknowledge any responses but please if you can bring any items post here so ya all may coordinate and i will follow up when i can.

I really dont want to pack around my rockband equipment (wired drums,mic,guitar) but I guess I can bring mine if its still needed. Getting on in Klamath Falls. Im not sure if im bringing my 360 yet but if I do I DONT have any DLC songs for it.

I've consulted our group, and collectively we will be able to supply the full Rock Band experience when we board at Emeryville at 10pm. (Coincidentally, last year's 360 and guitars in the kids room were supplied by myself, so it'll be a familiar experience! :P). We'll have a fair amount of DLC on the 360, and all the instruments are represented, although one of our guitars has a broken tilt sensor, and the pedal is... well... interesting. We definitely would appreciate any assistance with better working versions of those particular items.

Also, one big downside for us is that we're flying back, not taking the train. So unless someone else steps up, there will be no rock band on the return trip for everyone. Still, half a trip is better than none, right? In addition, checking in all the equipment at the airport will be a major pain for us (not to mention carrying all of our FREE OMEGANAUT T-SHIRTS!!!), so if anyone can post here before 9pm and relieve us of our equipment duties (in part or in full), it would be greatly appreciated!

Cbass, when (i.e. what time) do you board at Klamath Falls? Feel free to PM me if you have specific items you'd like to help out with, perhaps we can coordinate our efforts..

I board at 8:25am on Thursday. Thats about 12 hours of playtime both ways. I already bought a cheep bag for it all a few minutes ago and wrapped the full setup in my Yoda blanket for saftey, it surprisingly fits nice in that bag for only $13. I also have my USB extensions giving about 6 extra feet of length. I only found one so far but am looking for the other 2. As far as I know there is nothing wrong with any of the peripherals, I never use the damn things.
    DSC00002sss.jpg

Nice packing job! I wish we were that organized with our setup... I think given that you'll be on the train 10 hours after us, we'll still go ahead with our plan of bringing everything (10 hours of extra rock band is SO worth it), but I'd love to swap in your better equipment once you arrive. It'll give ours a chance to rest :) Plus, it means that there will be glorious rock band for 12 hours on the return trip for everyone else (minus DLC though :| ).

Since we're also bringing a 360, if there are two TV's available, we could system link for some 4v4 Halo... :winky:

So, me and Shaoblane are bringing Rock Band aswell, and a metal drum pedal. We'll only be on the train for about 4 hours each way, but we were planning on bringing it to Seattle anyways. We'll also be bringing a 360, 2 guitars, and some controllers.

IamSam on
  • ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Video of the Obs Car during setup: http://qik.com/video/238466

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • QapfQapf Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Greetings PAX! Tweeker and myself are on the Bakersfield-Sacramento feeder train heading up to join the main pax train. If anyone is on this boring toy, come by. We are in car 3 i think, and we are the guys with a wireless router up :)

Qapf on
  • NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Near as I can tell, there is only one TV, so keep that in mind when bringing game consoles aboard.

Nijhazer on
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Leaving Reno now! I'll be in Sacramento in a few hours, then on the train at midnight.

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    B:L wrote: »
    Plutonium wrote: »
    I'm posting from the train right now, just in front of me there's seven guys playing D&D 4E, and behind me is a 27" monitor with a SNES and a Wii plugged in, currently running Brawl.

No sign of NonjaPikachu just yet.

Did you hook up with robohobo yet?

He's the one with the neckbeards.

Robothero is indeed aboard.

Blarney's hosting a game of mafia right now, being played between VH, Robothero, Belruel, Marshmallow, and a few other guys.

Plutonium on
  • TwEEkErTwEEkEr Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Me and QAPF are somewhere near Fresno. How is the PAXTrain so far?

Have we sardine canned the kiddie room yet?
    Last year it was about 20 of us or so. Is the train big enough to contain 100+ of us this year?

TwEEkEr on
    topramengod.png
  • Puny HumanPuny Human Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The Kiddie Room is now an Arcade Machine room (they have soulcalibur 3) so no wacky paxiness down there, but we're packing the Observation car with Munchkin, SSBB, Apples to Apples, laptops, DSes and general craziness.

I'm in a Starcraft II hat and red Red Robot "CRUSH!" T-shirt, say hi.

Puny Human on
  • HaikufrenzyHaikufrenzy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ah well whatever, I'm not bringing any video games so it's not breaking my heart... besides I have a ton of quarters so this should be fun anyways.

Haikufrenzy on
    RazorbackKing.png
    edited August 2008
    I have been heading over to the observation deck every hour or so and right now it feels a lot like PAX itself over there: four or five people crowded around a TV, everyone else playing individual DS games, trying not to acknowledge each other's existence... I give up - doing this as a solo trip was a bad idea.

Time to get some sleep, I guess. Better luck to the rest of you.

Nijhazer on
  • HikariStarshineHikariStarshine Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So, just to make sure I'm reading this right... The PAXcar is totally full already? As I'm getting on at Albany, OR (which means somewhere from 1:30-3:30, depending on that Klamath Falls delay thing), does that mean I'm going to have to search around a bit to find people to play DS with or whatever, or... is it likely that I'll still be able to get in there and do some gaming with people other than myself on the way up?

HikariStarshine on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Poasting from PAXTrain.

Awesomesauce so far. Anybody in the future who's getting on, look for the guy in the bright green Tofu Records shirt and UCLA hat, that's me!

Can't wait for PAX proper.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited August 2008
    God dammit all the waiting to get on the train sucks!

Especially considering that they're may be a two hour delay... STUPID UNION PACIFIC!

But yeah when the time comes, I'll be the guy in the Naruto cast t-shirt and University of Oregon cap.

Haikufrenzy on
    RazorbackKing.png
  • VanderVander Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Nijhazer wrote: »
    I have been heading over to the observation deck every hour or so and right now it feels a lot like PAX itself over there: four or five people crowded around a TV, everyone else playing individual DS games, trying not to acknowledge each other's existence... I give up - doing this as a solo trip was a bad idea.

Time to get some sleep, I guess. Better luck to the rest of you.

This is the life we chose!

Vander on
  • kaoticrequiemkaoticrequiem Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Woah! And I grew up in Rohnert Park, did you go to the SRJC? if so I probably know you from That Corner of the cafeteria.

I did go to the JC, four or five years ago. Depending on when you went, I meant indeed know you from the Coop!

Neat. :D

kaoticrequiem on
    Knows how to bend it.
  • KalaylajaylaKalaylajayla Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Prepare for 2 hour delay....

Kalaylajayla on
  • waffleboi9waffleboi9 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sup, checking in. Just had a delightful breakfast with good conversation. Bout to head out and brave the wild of Klamath Falls.

waffleboi9 on
    edited August 2008
    We're taking our delay at Klamath Falls.

It truly is the ass end of nowhere. I think it's a location in Fallout 2.

Plutonium on
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I had no idea I'd be having this much fun. Best trip ever.

That said, current setup looks to be a SNES, a 360, a computer with Worms Armageddon is popping up now and again, I don't know if the rockband is still setup from last night though.

So many DSes.

Marshmallow on
    edited August 2008
    Plutonium wrote: »
    We're taking our delay at Klamath Falls.

It truly is the ass end of nowhere. I think it's a location in Fallout 2.

Figures... now I have to wait LONGER for the party to begin.

Haikufrenzy on
    RazorbackKing.png
  • Johnny5Johnny5 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You guys have an ETA for Seattle? Would like to know so that I can be there for pick up but not have to wait forever.

Johnny5 on
  • MINIwombatMINIwombat Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm trying to figure out the appropriate pick-up time, as well. According the Amtrak, the current estimate is 9:43 (58 minutes late). That would put the PAXTrain somewhere near Albany, OR, on the way to Salem, OR. Can anyone aboard confirm?

Updated, moments later: Make that 2 hours, 3 minutes late. That should put the train on approach to Eugene-Springfield, OR.

MINIwombat on
  • QixQix Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    From Portland: Estimated Departure Time: 2 hours and 55 minutes late
    Train is now scheduled to depart from Portland at 7:15 PM, instead of 4:20.

Well at least I can eat dinner at home now instead of on the train.

as of 4:32, train will now depart @ 7:45

as of 4:48, train will now depart @ 7:55

Accoirding to AmTrak:

Coast Starlight 14
    (Seattle - Portland - Los Angeles)

On-Time Performance
    July 2008 25.8%
    Last 12 Months 60.3%

Reason for delays: 83% and on up (depending on type of delay): Union Pacific.

Qix on
    edited August 2008
    Man... no wonder why no one takes the train anymore....

This seriously blows....

Haikufrenzy on
    RazorbackKing.png
  • IamSamIamSam Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    HaikuFrenzy, me, shaoblane, and frobear are all at the station right now, come meet us by the concessions.

IamSam on
  • elilasolelilasol Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    looks like departure time in Salem is 6:05 currently

elilasol on
    edited August 2008
    According to my GPS, we are a few miles outside of Springfield, Oregon. Our original schedule had us arriving there shortly before 1:00 PM. As I write this, it is almost 5:00 PM.

Needless to say, don't wait up.

Nijhazer on
    edited August 2008
    Departure from Portland is supposed to be 3hrs 35mins late (7:55pm), but arrival in Seattle is supposed to be 2hrs 43mins late (11:28pm). That's making up almost an hour of scheduled travel in around two hundred miles. I am baffled by their maths. Either something's wrong, or, uh, hold on?

Though look at it this way: Y'all traingoers, and us'all traingoerpickerupers, will get to see the beautiful Pioneer Square neighborhood of Seattle in the middle of the night.

MINIwombat on
    edited August 2008
    ...and the train just stopped again due to power failure.

Edit: up and running, and moving again. Whew!

Nijhazer on
  • ShaoblaneShaoblane Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This is Liz and Mike in Portland.

Someone AIM/YIM us? LizardsCellPhone, say PAX so I know your not a fanboy spammer. Those bitches.

Shaoblane on
    edited August 2008
    Nijhazer wrote: »
    ...and the train just stopped again due to power failure.

Edit: up and running, and moving again. Whew!

How many plugged-in DS's does it take to stop a passenger train?

Plutonium on
    edited August 2008
    let's see, I estimate 80 ds's, two TVs a computer, 300 cell phones, an xbox and a ps2?

I think that should account for a pretty big power drain. Though a train should have a pretty large generator....

elilasol on
    edited August 2008
    What's the next station anyone?

I'm at Portland. If anyone wants another Rock Band set up, we got one for you to be ready for.

Aim/YIM lizardsCellPhone

Shaoblane on
    edited August 2008
    cool, I'm in Salem, got an xbox and rockband too, just no instruments

elilasol on
    edited August 2008
    Someone please tell me where the train is and what's the next stop?

Shaoblane on
  • Da JackalDa Jackal Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    elilasol wrote: »
    cool, I'm in Salem, got an xbox and rockband too, just no instruments

Minus the power outages and DLC issues, we've got rock band up and running just fine in the arcade room next to the obs car. The biggest problem right now is that we're missing a chair for the drummer! It's been a major pain so far, and our makeshift solutions have been barely functional. If anyone can bring a folding chair, that would help immensely.

Other than that, a 360 box with lots of (working) DLC and/or a guitar with no whammy or tilt problems could be useful too. Oh, and powered speakers would be great. Look forward to rocking out with the rest of you guys!

Da Jackal on
    r92c8gd6zf71.png
    edited August 2008
    Shaoblane wrote: »
    Someone please tell me where the train is and what's the next stop?

It appears that the train is en route to Salem; then Portland. But this is amtrak.com data, so I'm not sure how reliable it is...

MINIwombat on
This discussion has been closed.