As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

West Coast Train Trip 2008: Communist Edition

• Da JackalDa Jackal Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Shaoblane wrote: »
    Someone please tell me where the train is and what's the next stop?

Salem is our next stop, arriving in a few minutes.

Da Jackal on
    r92c8gd6zf71.png
  • elilasolelilasol Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Train has arrived in Salem!

elilasol on
  • ShaoblaneShaoblane Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Done. Mike went to find a chair.

We have a whole second set-up of Rock Band, including a better drum pedal. We have a 360. Really, everything but the speakers.
    We also have a power strip.

Shaoblane on
    edited August 2008
    Shaoblane wrote: »
    Done. Mike went to find a chair.

We have a whole second set-up of Rock Band, including a better drum pedal. We have a 360. Really, everything but the speakers.
    We also have a power strip.

Excellent news regarding the chair!

It doesn't look like there would be any room to setup a second rock band at the same time as the existing one, but I'm cool with putting our stuff away in favor of yours, if it fixes some of our technical problems. See you guys soon.

Da Jackal on
    r92c8gd6zf71.png
  • ShaoblaneShaoblane Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Bad news. No chair. But we do have good guitars and a better drum pedal.

EDIT
    And our drums have silencer pads on it, that improve bounce.
    When we board at Portland, look for me, black pants, camo tank top, guitar with Red vs Blue sticker.

Shaoblane on
  • NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Just left Portland, so I guess everyone is on board by now. Current ETA is somewhere around one in the morning. Four more hours until I can be rid of this godforsaken train...

Nijhazer on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Delays make visiblehowl sad.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • MINIwombatMINIwombat Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It has been quiet on here for too long. Is everyone still keeping it together? Nobody's resorting to cannibalism or ritualistic goat defenestration, I hope.

It appears that Amtrak's estimates have stopped increasing. 12:30 might actually be the winner!

Looking forward to the madcap drive across town to pick up Herky5; till then, GHIII.

MINIwombat on
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    ETA is now 12:45. Looks like the whole WCTT trip is missing the pub crawl. Almost there!

SlickShughes on
  • NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Last estimate from the conductor was 12:45. He should give us another update when we get to Tacoma in about an hour.

Nijhazer on
  • CanticleCanticle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    And with that, we've arrived in Seattle. Mostly sane.

The first half of this epic journey is over. PAX is here, our three days in Arcadia.

Canticle on
  • SakebombSakebomb Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    hey, thanks to eveyone for making my first train trip an awesome one. Even with delays and such , I had a fucking blast. I don't remember all your names but mad props to all that played Heroquest with us!!
    See you at the convention center!

Sakebomb on
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, our group all had a great time on the train, meeting everyone, playing lots of games... Definitely a highlight of pax so far.

There has been one small lowlight for me though... I was supplying the rock band setup for the majority of the trip, but somewhere around Portland, we switched out the xbox in favor of better DLC. A wise choice, since my box had vey little, but the new box was still using my game disk, and the owner forgot to eject it before he/she packed it all up. I got all my equipment, but I'm still missing my disk.

If the owner of the second xbox could PM me, I'd love to get the disk back before pax ends... My group isn't taking the train back.

Everyone have fun on the return trip!

Da Jackal on
    r92c8gd6zf71.png
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think the best part of this trip has been in allowing me to whore everyone's DSes and use them for free Mingle PP for my TWEWY game. :)

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • HikariStarshineHikariStarshine Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well, I missed out on the train on the way up. Had little-to-no desire to be getting into Seattle after midnight, particularly as I wanted to get my will call badge *before* the lines formed and stuff.

Anyways.

I'm going to be on the train on the way back, at least.

DStaleFish, if you're able to see the forum right now, did my shirt get taken by someone who *was* on the train? Need to know, so's I know if I need to budget to have that $10 still when I get on the train to go south or not.

HikariStarshine on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    As an East Coaster and a NeverGonnaRideTheTrain-er, I must say this seems amazing.

Tear to my eye.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • gidgetsgidgets Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hey, this is Jo! I was running around with the big camera with a flash on top, if you remember me. I'm not on the train going back, so please drop all your photos into the West Coast Train Trip 2008 Flickr group:
    http://flickr.com/groups/846136@N20/
    2815922793_00477b2932.jpg

Otherwise, please link to your photos on this thread!

Thanks much!
    Your Friendly Photojournalist, Jo

gidgets on
  • gidgetsgidgets Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    by the by, here's my entire PAX Train set:
    http://flickr.com/photos/gidgets/sets/72157607048313230/

gidgets on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm on the 9:45 Starlight heading towards portland. I hope to see some people there on that one heading back. Should be awesome.

edit:

on train. gave the last of my candy away. there is lots of :"we didn't playtest this game" im just happy to get rid of all of that candy. about to take pics

Viscountalpha on
  • Prof. PanglossProf. Pangloss Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hi, I'm that guy in green, you guys saw my girlfriend and I get into the station? Turns out at the Davis station both tickets in our ticket thing were removed so we didn't have a ticket to get home. By the time we presented the ticket stubs and he filled out the paperwork the train was *just* taking off. So, the best they could do was get us a ticket for the same time tomorrow. So, we won't get to have happy fun time on the PAX train coming back and we need to find out where we're staying tonight but I think I've got something worked out. See you guys next year!

Prof. Pangloss on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    that sucks. hopefully you find someone nice to take you in free for the night.

Viscountalpha on
  • mythinmythin Registered User new member
    edited September 2008
    We has the internets again!

mythin on
    edited September 2008
    I'm back home. The train was ahead of schedule for once in a lifetime. Time cruiser mike, You rock. I hope you don't post that one thing we talked about.

Viscountalpha on
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Just got home via my flight from Seattle to Reno. I'm kind of bummed about not getting the PAXtrain experience on return, but then again, I'm sitting in my comfy office chair on my iMac and I'm sleeping in my own bed tonight. So, pros and cons.

Anyway. I just wanted to say that, for the most part, the PAXtrain was amazing. I understand that it wasn't quite as epic and flawless as years past, but that notwithstanding, it was easily the best part of my entire trip. I ended up rooming with some awesome PAXtrain people, met some awesome people on the train, had a lot of fun, and I couldn't be happier to have had the experience. I'm absolutely doing it next year, and I hope to see a lot of people there.

PAX train 2009: already thinking about it. BE THERE!

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • HaikufrenzyHaikufrenzy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah I had a ton of fun on the WCTT, although truth is that I'm a little disappointed in where I started on it. Starting in Portland and only having four hours to enjoy it was as the kids say, the suXXor.

At the end of the day though I'll defiantly do it again next year, although I'm actually thinking about maybe getting a flight to LA so I can start there and get a much MUCH more fulfilling WCTT experience.

Oh and Timecruisermike... FUCK YOU TOASTERSMEGGLE! :P Seriously though thanks for letting me wear the power glove... it was divine.

Haikufrenzy on
    RazorbackKing.png
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I just want to say a special thanks again to everyone else who helped George cover the cost of the lost ticket, especially (I'm sorry I forgot your name, need that ledger emailed soon) the guy who organized it.. I hung out with him a lot during PAX, both this and last year, and I was really bummed when I heard what happened. THIS is exactly why PAX is awesome.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    are you dorks still on the train? Whats the arrival time for LA, and were there any more delays?

After getting off in K-Falls last night, i slept for like 1000 hours.

The_Reflection on
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I might fly down to LAX from Canada for PAX 2009, visit with some of the cool people I met this year finally, and then take the train back up with them. :^:

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited September 2008
    are you dorks still on the train? Whats the arrival time for LA, and were there any more delays?

After getting off in K-Falls last night, i slept for like 1000 hours.

I got off in San Jose, but the the LA people have some ways to go still.

Raiden333 on
  • PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Currently we're between Pasa Robles and San Luis Obisbo.

Plutonium on
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So how did everything go? WCTT and PAX included? I am still sad I could not go, and also have been without internets for the past week...

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
    edited September 2008
    eelektrik wrote: »
    So how did everything go? WCTT and PAX included? I am still sad I could not go, and also have been without internets for the past week...

So epic I still see everything as purple.

Raiden333 on
  • HaikufrenzyHaikufrenzy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    MY BRAIN HURTS!

Oh and the trip ruled... though I'm already thinking of themes for next year's train trip. Let's see...

Haikufrenzy on
    RazorbackKing.png
  • TorgenTorgen Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    WCTT may be over for me, but the pain in my ankles from playing Rock Band drums cross-legged remains.

Torgen on
  • nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Got off the train this morning in Emeryville, got home and hit the couch ,so this is a bit late but-

THANKS! Everyone on the WCTT, thanks for taking a spiffy medium of transport and turning it into something truly awesome! I look forward to next year when perhaps we can actually blow up the diesel generators.

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • waffleboi9waffleboi9 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I had an excellent WCST experience. Here are my notes for next year:

The awesomest:
    0) Playing DnD! Much thanks to our DM!!!
    1) Playing rock band in the kiddie car, thanks to those who provided equipment!
    2) sharing some great conversation, long into the night
    3) Fulfilling my goal of giving away and drinking all the booze I brought for the trip up.

How to improve my experience in 09:
    0) Investigate getting a sleeper car, because sleeping in those coach cars was pretty brutal
    1) If sleeper cars are out of my budget, BRING A BLANKET, because I was so cold.... ::shiver::
    2) Bring water. I had plenty of booze for the trip up, but I left no room for essentials like WATER. Holy crap, I must have bought like 6 bottles of water for $2 each.
    3) Bring more snacks. I spent too much money on crappy train food.
    4) Consider flying back, because I was seriously so exhausted and kinda wanted to go home. Not that the trip back down isn't also awesome. I dunno, I'm still thinking about this one.

Thanks to everyone who made this work so well. Thanks to all those who donated valuable internets! And thanks to amtrak and the other patrons for keepin the party rolling and minimizing the "being a dick" part (though there was that one guy who, within his rights as stated in the rules posted on the amtrak site, confiscated my Fat Tire).

waffleboi9 on
  • sobjwsobjw Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    More water = smart! Those little dispensers they had in each car were soooo slow in dispensing the water. By the time I got off the train last night the one in my car was totally empty. I finally took my giant water bottle and filled it at the big sink behind the counter in the obs deck.

sobjw on
    I live on a farm.
  • sobjwsobjw Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Looks like while we were all at PAX, someone got stabbed on the Amtrak a bit after it left Klamath Falls.

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080902/NEWS07/809020329

Yikes!

sobjw on
    I live on a farm.
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Uhh. Fuck? Jesus. That's fucking scary. I'm glad I wasn't stabbed. We might want to screen passengers next PAX train.

PAXers: "Hi, where are you headed?"
    Dude: "Uh... what? Who are you? Why do you care?"
    PAXers: "We've kind of taken over this train. Now, where are you headed? And do you have any intention of stabbing people?"

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
    edited September 2008
    So are you guys headed to LA home yet?

Raiden333 on
This discussion has been closed.