As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

West Coast Train Trip 2008: Communist Edition

• Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The train got into LA EARLY.
    The trip there and back was fucking awesome, got to hang out with some awesome people, except the girl who got really obsessive about my accent, luckily she go off in Washington somewhere and she wasn't PAXTrain anyway. Alot of what waffle was saying I support, especially the sleeper car. I missed out on so much sleep last night it was untrue.

I'd also like to bring some of my own food and drink if I did it again, it got a little expensive towards the end.

The meals were ok on the way up but the staff coming back were really incompetent, the dudes I had lunch with will probably support me on that.

All in all, it was fucking awesome, if not a little tiring on the way back.

Bad-Beat on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, I agree with the tiring part... After the Dr. Horrible group sing-a-long and the Wargames showing, I slept all the way to San Jose.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    edited September 2008
    I didn't even bother with wargames.

I can't wait to see some of the pics and video, the "still alive" sing along in particular.

Bad-Beat on
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I flew back precisely because I figured I was going to be so thoroughly wiped from the trip. I have to say, I think I made the right call. The trip up to Seattle was amazing and was, IMO, better than the expo itself. If I had to train back, I think my trip would have ended on a sour note.

So, yeah. Waffle, you might want to consider flying.

Also, Bad-Beat, are you Ben with the red hair? I kept calling you Ben England. I hope that wasn't too annoying. If you are who I think you are, it was a pleasure meeting you.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
    edited September 2008
    waffleboi9 wrote: »
    2) Bring water. I had plenty of booze for the trip up, but I left no room for essentials like WATER. Holy crap, I must have bought like 6 bottles of water for $2 each.

You know that almost every car had a free water tap, right? I only bought one bottle and kept refilling it over PAX.

Raiden333 on
  • nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I dunno. I hate the way you are treated while flying so much that I think that would end the PAX trip on a sour note too. But then again, I am one of the people who spring for the cars. It's a simple decision for me because if I had to ride coach I could choose the train trip OR PAX because I couldn't do both. There is an isolation factor to being in the rooms, since once you retreat to the sleepers you're walled off from everyone else in the car. So it all depends on what trade-offs you're willing to take.

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Just got home to good old Pomona, CA. I cannot describe how awesome the lot of you PAX train folk are and I cannot wait to make myself disposable for the next one. I never felt out of place and I got to meet some very kind people.

I can't wait for the videos and DVD to show up. :)

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
    edited September 2008
    I have no problems passing up on sleeper cars, as the only times I sleep are when I am so tired that I can sleep anywhere.

Also:

If you do not have an Amtrak Rewards account, you still have time to create one and apply for retroactive points for your train trip to PAX. If you plan on taking future train trips, eventually you'll get one free.

I'm not sure, but I think I might actually get my free trip next year.

Raiden333 on
  • BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    HAS EVERYONE SIGNED THE FUCKING WAIVER FOR THE LOVE OF GOD

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • The Grey GunmanThe Grey Gunman Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Just wanna thank all of you guys for making this an amazing god damn trip. Specifically I want to thank Squirmy, Stalefish, and Redhalo for giving me a place to crash when I ended up in the bind I got in.

Fantastic train trip was fantastic. Hope to see you all next year if not sooner.

The Grey Gunman on
  • HikariStarshineHikariStarshine Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Belruel wrote: »

Er.... which waiver is this? I never saw a waiver.

Unless that's the computer we were putting information on. I filled that in, at least.

HikariStarshine on
    edited September 2008
    -_-

it doesn't even matter, its not like it was a legally binding contract, and if someone tried to sue for their image being used, it would not hold up under any scrutiny

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Finally made it home (fuck you L.A.) that trip was epic.

If you think you lost an item on the train PM me

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    my sanity was lost for a bit

The_Reflection on
    edited September 2008
    -_-

it doesn't even matter, its not like it was a legally binding contract, and if someone tried to sue for their image being used, it would not hold up under any scrutiny

We'll just put a black rectangle over their eyes or distort their faces to look like a wire penis.

Arikado on
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Er.... which waiver is this? I never saw a waiver.

Unless that's the computer we were putting information on. I filled that in, at least.

The waiver was on the way up, to let the PAX dvd use your image. I don't know if any of the return trip footage is going to the dvd crew, so it might not matter.

SlickShughes on
    edited September 2008
    Arco wrote: »

Also, Bad-Beat, are you Ben with the red hair? I kept calling you Ben England. I hope that wasn't too annoying. If you are who I think you are, it was a pleasure meeting you.

Nah, I was the lesser known Brit on board, Ben is squirminator2k

Bad-Beat on
  • kaoticrequiemkaoticrequiem Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I only got the train ride down, so there was no waiver for me to sign, however, I've no objection to my image being used.

How can we deal with this appropriately?

kaoticrequiem on
    Knows how to bend it.
  • Andrew RyanAndrew Ryan Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I only got the train ride down, so there was no waiver for me to sign, however, I've no objection to my image being used.

How can we deal with this appropriately?

By not suing them.

Andrew Ryan on
    Mbt2W.gifbLHcF.gifMbt2W.gifbLHcF.gif
    naknaknaknaknak
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, I was Andy, the guy who was good on Rock Band. This post-PAX hangover is actually making my work day a lot more entertaining.

Arikado on
  • DStalefishDStalefish Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Fuck.

I sprained my ankle. Thanks, jerks. Is it bad that I got off the train and still only know a few of your names? I'm bad about that. :(

If you guys are going to figure out a group rate next year, make sure to include some way to get a discounted rate and still upgrade to a sleeper car. I love you guys and all, and I could spend days on end hanging out with you, but I needs me a bed, so fuck off.

Also, next year I plan to have plenty of shirts for everyone and perhaps even some alternative apparel choices. Skeet.

DStalefish on
    [E] 09, 10E, 10P, 11E, 11P, 12E
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ah, great trip. I think I missed putting my name on the contact list on the way back... who do I talk to for that? A long journey, but an enjoyable one. I'll see you guys next year, eh?

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    I'll see you guys next year, eh?

IMPOSTER! MrBlarney is no Canadian!

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Andrew RyanAndrew Ryan Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dave, how the fuck did you sprain your ankle?

Andrew Ryan on
    Mbt2W.gifbLHcF.gifMbt2W.gifbLHcF.gif
    naknaknaknaknak
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Infidel wrote: »

You gotta watch out for those Blarney imposters.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

TOTALLY NOT A ROBOT!

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    B:L wrote: »

You gotta watch out for those Blarney imposters.

For reals.

Will the real spredeshetar please stand up?

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • CanticleCanticle Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    D&D players: the train trip event has been reported, so your adventures and numbers are in the system. Please remember to mail in the filled-out portion of your membership form so you can keep playing, and thanks for being such good sports about a train-going D&D game. See you all next year.

Canticle on
    edited September 2008
    I think I left the penis Bel gave me in the back of the cab I took to get back. He's gonna be confused.

Bad-Beat on
  • PanopeaPanopea Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    sup all? I promised to post around a bit more than my one post in the cosplay thread, so here 'tis: I had WAYYY more fun on the PAX train on the ride home than on the way there. Granted, on the way up, I hopped on the train at midnight and was sitting right next to one of those godawful screeching doors between the cars so the most sleep I could hope to have at once before being woken by what sounded like a cross between a harpy shrieking and fingernails on a chalkboard was 15-30 minutes at a time.

In case anyone is wondering, my actual name is Rachel. I sang a bunch in Rock band on the way up, and played random card games for about 14 hours on the way back. I want to give a special thank you to the fellow who ran the All Flesh Must Be Eaten game, since that was awesome (sorry man, I can't remember your name ^_^;).

To remember if I ever take the rattling death trap known as Amtrak again: blanket. It was nasty hot one way, so I wasn't expecting the arctic conditions on the way back.

I'd also like to offer my services (for next year, if I end up going again) to the illustrious Commissar as an extremely loud person who is skilled in nerd-herding. (I was the one who helped gather everyone for the PAX train pic when we first arrived).

I'm kind of a bum when it comes to keeping up with con forums, but if you guys feel like invading my anime club's forums for random chat with a slightly different but equally voracious breed of geek, check em out.

Thanks to everyone on the train who played random games with me!

Panopea on
    edited September 2008
    Canticle wrote: »
    D&D players: the train trip event has been reported, so your adventures and numbers are in the system. Please remember to mail in the filled-out portion of your membership form so you can keep playing, and thanks for being such good sports about a train-going D&D game. See you all next year.

Our (me+wife) membership forms were handed in directly to RPGA staff at the con. Thanks again for running it, we had a blast. I'm also now looking for RPGA games in the Bay Area, I think I found one that I'll check out later this week or next.

SlickShughes on
    edited September 2008

Walking around on the train while it was moving really fast. :P

DStalefish on
  • TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Sorry to hear you sprained your ankle DStalefish. Hope it heals up soon.

I had a fucking blast on this trip. I'm closer to friends I had already, and got to know a bunch of great new people.

Much like PAX, next year the train trip is going to need some logistical tweaks to continue to be successful. I plan on being one of the people behind the scenes helping Augustus make that happen. Here's to bigger and better.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
  • nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    DStalefish wrote: »

Walking around on the train while it was moving really fast. :P

Wowsers! I thought I had it bad when I joined someone in their room briefly trying to walk back- but I'll take a moment of awkwardness over six weeks of ace bandage any day.
    Hope it heals quick for you. :cry:

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
    edited September 2008
    Panopea wrote: »
    In case anyone is wondering, my actual name is Rachel. I sang a bunch in Rock band on the way up, and played random card games for about 14 hours on the way back. I want to give a special thank you to the fellow who ran the All Flesh Must Be Eaten game, since that was awesome (sorry man, I can't remember your name ^_^;).

I never got a chance to play Infernal Contraption or Chez Geek with you! I do hope you make the trip again next year, so I can get that chance. Oh, and I ment to ask you: where are your cat ears with the holes in them from?

SlickShughes on
    edited September 2008
    Oh yeah, I forgot that I didn't actually add myself to the contact list. Get that shit up ASAP so I can do that. :P

DStalefish on
  • mythinmythin Registered User new member
    edited September 2008
    Hey all, I had a really great time on the trip up and back. I agree with the blanket comments, I'm also considering a pillow for next year.

For those who are wondering, this is Jon, the swordmage from the D&D games.

mythin on
  • AugustusAugustus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    so tired

so goddamned tired

time to start a new thread

too tired to use punctuation

the new thread is here

Augustus on
    I belong to no organized party. I am a Democrat. - Will Rogers
    edited September 2008
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    I think I left the penis Bel gave me in the back of the cab I took to get back. He's gonna be confused.

hahaha that is awesome

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • waffleboi9waffleboi9 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Canticle wrote: »

Hey, do you have any resources for finding RPGA DM's in the LA area? I joined some groups on meetup, but most are still running 3.5 games.

Thanks so much for DM'ing. twas a blast

waffleboi9 on
This discussion has been closed.