As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

West Coast Train Trip 2008: Communist Edition

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2008
    We have those here in cleveland, only they're not pigs, they're guitars

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• strongesthylianstrongesthylian Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Anyone know if there was a communist pig in Seattle?

strongesthylian on
    Now known as Rondhi. Too lazy to make a new user account.
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    We have those here in cleveland, only they're not pigs, they're guitars

Damn, Cleveland gets cool ones... Here in Downtown Riverside they have giant oranges painted differently... Not as cool as Guitars.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • DStalefishDStalefish Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    In Salt Lake City, UT they have big metal moose.

DStalefish on
    [E] 09, 10E, 10P, 11E, 11P, 12E
    edited April 2008
    I found our capitalist pig.
    Sadly, you'll have to copy and paste the link into your browser since the picture's host doesn't support linking.
    http://tinyurl.com/3nb3f9

strongesthylian on
  • KorthosKorthos Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Korthos, Hortos and Tipist are all about this, and we'll be boarding in Los Angeles...with gusto.

Korthos on
    -Korthos (@SeanCelaya)
  • TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    For those of you that haven't rserved your rooms yet, Thursday looks to be selling out everywhere. It's not available at any of the four hotels on the PAX hotels page.

The wiki http://pax.wikidot.com/hotels has a list of other hotels (links are in the map but not the list yet, sorry.).

I just booked check in Friday to check out Monday at the Sheraton, and am currently considering the Sixth Avenue Inn for Thursday.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
  • AugustusAugustus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah. About the group rates. Amtrak again hasn't called me, and work's picked up for me a bit so I won't be able to hit them back personally until Friday. If I don't have anything concrete bout a group rate by the end of the month, just buy your tickets. The main things I needed to arrange (like the kiddie car stuff) are done already.

Amtrak's staff on the train last year was chill, but their reservation team keeps dropping the ball. We're almost at ninety damned people, we're filling up one car and then some. God damn.

Stalefish, 100K wouldn't be for an Amtrak car - to get a private car you'd be leasing your own, and that means you ride in something absolutely pimp. The 100K figure comes from researching renting an all-in-one car that's a restored California Zephyr. It would have private rooms, a kitchen/bar, and an open gathering place - which I figured was space for command staff, private bar and entertainment all-in-one for PAX. Plus it would have made for an excellent Bioshock theme due to the 1930's decor. Imagine the obs deck with bedrooms downstairs by the snack shack. It would have been awesome. Alas. Most private cars are classics that have been painstakingly restored. I think if we had done it, we would have been renting it from Francis Ford Coppola.

Augustus on
    I belong to no organized party. I am a Democrat. - Will Rogers
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, but if you split that up amongst 100 people, they'd still have to pay 1000 bucks a piece, and even then the car can only legally hold like 30-40 people, so it'd be like a night club where people have to wait outside to get in while other people leave.

It would probably be the most badass thing ever though.

DStalefish on
  • TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    100,000 / 100 ≠ 100

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
  • RCars2RCars2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    100,000 / 100 ≠ 100

Yeah i was about to say the same thing. I dont know about you all but i dont have an extra thousand just kickin around. I mean, yeah i got a good paying job and all but not that good.

RCars2 on
    carlinsig.png
    edited April 2008
    My bad, I failed elementary math and typing.

So it's like a night club where people wait to get in and have to prepay for two bottles of vodka that they may or may not get, and there's a good chance one will have been consumed before they get their hands on it. :P

DStalefish on
  • contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I am going to suggest Real Genius or War Games for movies. I own both but am getting on in Martinez and according to my itinerary that is sometime around 11 PM. I know that isn't late for PAX but people will have been on the train for 12 hours already so that is rather late.

And also, can we get a change to a Propaganda brigade for the group leaving from Martinez? Two of the people coming along with me actually work for the Press in the Bay Area. If so, I promise I'll wear my Ushanka.

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
  • kazuokazuo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Has anyone considered that, given the size that the group has balooned to this year, the train operators might hate on us having a bajillion things plugged into their electrical circuit?

I mean, really now. We might start a fire or derail the train or some shit.

hahha

kazuo on
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    kazuo wrote: »
    Has anyone considered that, given the size that the group has balooned to this year, the train operators might hate on us having a bajillion things plugged into their electrical circuit?

hahha

12 gauge extension cord and a surge protector that can protect against 4200 joules with a 15 amp circuit breaker.

Blackouts maybe, fire means something was wrong and we are cashing in that $500,000 damage warranty. But honestly I am more worried we are gonna hit 15 amps and trip the circuit first.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

hahha

If it derails, I fully expect us to ride on top of the train, with our shirts off, until it stops.

Dee Kae on
  • Darkblade_1Darkblade_1 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    So.. are we just going ahead and buyin tickets then..?

Darkblade_1 on
    iveseenvivstits.gif
    You're drawn to my eccentric Brawl Code: 4596 9143 4529
  • RCars2RCars2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So.. are we just going ahead and buyin tickets then..?

George hasnt logged on since monday so for now we are still up in the air. I suggest to wait until at least 10pm PST to give him plenty of time to render a decision (plus hes a busy dude so he might have shit to do tonight). If we dont hear anything by then, then go for it i would say.

RCars2 on
    carlinsig.png
  • Darkblade_1Darkblade_1 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Fair enough..

Darkblade_1 on
    iveseenvivstits.gif
    You're drawn to my eccentric Brawl Code: 4596 9143 4529
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

hahha

We could set up solar panels in the windows.....

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

hahha

I dunno, everyone on the Capitol Corridor seems to have a laptop- so the only real difference is that the PAX people will actually be having fun on theirs. :P

Hey, I'm an evuhl bourgeoisie who will fess up to paying for a real bed because I'm old and crotchety. Seriously, Suiryu and I are in our late thirties. Are there any other PAX geriatrics riding the train? We can get together and annoy everybody with discussion about the glory days of Pong and the Atari 2600 and how we had to walk uphill both ways to plug our consoles straight into the power outlet without a surge suppressor or anything...

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • gidgetsgidgets Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I work for CafePress.com, and I would like to get us some t-shirts for sale. Who do I talk to about grabbing the higher-res version of these images:
    wctt.gif

OR

WCTT_banner.gif

(the 2008 version, instead, of course)

Specifically, the "West Coast Train Trip 2007" part.
    Or can maybe someone direct me to correct font name or .ttf file? I can recreate it, if needed.

Also, I am boarding from Emeryville with Da Jackal's group. Huzzah!

gidgets on
  • SakebombSakebomb Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    gidgets wrote: »
    I work for CafePress.com, and I would like to get us some t-shirts for sale. Who do I talk to about grabbing the higher-res version of these images:
    wctt.gif

OR

WCTT_banner.gif

(the 2008 version, instead, of course)

Specifically, the "West Coast Train Trip 2007" part.
    Or can maybe someone direct me to correct font name or .ttf file? I can recreate it, if needed.

Also, I am boarding from Emeryville with Da Jackal's group. Huzzah!

Don't worry about all the hassle of getting high-res images for Tshirt presses.
    Just get a tattoo, its much more economical.
    Plus most tattoo artists can copy just about any picture you bring them.

Ill be getting the WCTT logo on my forearm so Ill be easy to spot during the trip.

Sakebomb on
    edited May 2008
    I wonder when we're gonna find out about the group rate? Or should we just purchase our tickets now?

strongesthylian on
    edited May 2008
    Just buy the damn tickets. :P

You can always cancel later.

DStalefish on
  • PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm going to be taking the train up from LA!

Plutonium on
  • ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    As per the logo, you can't get prints of it. I tried back in '06 and CafePress halted my order, mentioning that it was copyright infringement of PA's logo (never mind that the artwork was used with permission and acquired from PA)

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    ctishman wrote: »
    As per the logo, you can't get prints of it. I tried back in '06 and CafePress halted my order, mentioning that it was copyright infringement of PA's logo (never mind that the artwork was used with permission and acquired from PA)
    gidgets wrote: »
    I work for CafePress.com

She might be able to dodge that restriction.

SlickShughes on
    edited May 2008
    Well, if anything she should be more careful, as we don't want to endanger her job for some souvenir tee-shirt.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
  • gidgetsgidgets Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Well, it won't matter if I don't have the images anyway. If they are with permission, I can probably talk to the Content Usage guys. But I can only give it a shot if I have the images. It's ok, though. We don't have to have these t-shirts. Just thought it'd be neat.

Tis all.

gidgets on
    edited May 2008
    http://www.sundownsaints.com/uploads/misc/paxtee.jpg

Also, would anybody be interested in sharing a roomette with me? My roomie dropped out, and while I'm perfectly comfortable having the room all to myself, I figured I'd give any of you the chance to have an actual bed. Cost is about $200 over your train ticket, but includes meals and the car has a shower and stuff.

DStalefish on
    edited May 2008
    Holy shit, fuck the old logo. That? That's the shit. Make that shirt.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
  • HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    2nd

Highfire on
  • Eric_ResEric_Res Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I endorse the creation of this shirt.

Eric_Res on
    QdEHg.png
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Awesome shirt idea.

Buying tickets tomorrow for sure now.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
    edited May 2008
    Me too. I get paid tomorrow!

strongesthylian on
    edited May 2008
    We'll be printing them pretty soon (within a month or so). That's the one me and Augustus came up with. I've also got a black variant for staff. So yeah, as soon as we're ready I'll get orders to see who wants one. They'll be like $3 or something, to cover the cost of the shirt itself.

I'm also not sure if we've gotten Khoo's approval yet or not. So, pending that... :P

DStalefish on
  • HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'll take two size L.

Highfire on
  • SakebombSakebomb Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    That is the sexiest shirt I have seen all day. Count me in for one large.
    Do you have babydoll style too?

Sakebomb on
  • LindygamerLindygamer Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ye gods...

I want it.

I want that shirt now.

On a sadder note kick my friends group thing down to 2-3. Shit went down amongst some of them and I dont know whose coming. Myself and the other friend who has replied on this thread are most likely still coming.

Edit: Also has anyone considered that maybe we could give Tycho and Gabe this shirt as a gift from the WCTT during one of their Q&A sessions?

Lindygamer on
    The opinions I don't have are the opinions I don't got.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.