As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

West Coast Train Trip 2008: Communist Edition

• Turtles or PenguinsTurtles or Penguins Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Sorry I didn't ask earlier but do you need a passport for the train or is an ID good enough?

Turtles or Penguins on
  • The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    you know, I assume an id is good enogh, it didnt say anything about a passport when I bought my tickets.

The_Reflection on
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If you're traveling internationally, then yes, you need a passport. If you're from a foreign land riding the train up, you will need to have your passport on your person anyway.

That said, if trains here work like they do in Europe then after you board they'll come around and check your ticket. I doubt you need to show ID, but I haven't ever been on Amtrak.

ASimPerson on
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I honestly don't remember if Amtrak checked for an ID last year or not. They did check tickets before boarding so they know what car to have you board on.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    With me, I always just walked up to the train, got into my seat, handed the dude my ticket, he halfheartedly marked something on it with a marker, and they never bothered me again. Seriously, this is how travel ought to be.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    ctishman wrote: »
    With me, I always just walked up to the train, got into my seat, handed the dude my ticket, he halfheartedly marked something on it with a marker, and they never bothered me again. Seriously, this is how travel ought to be.

Yeah, I'm sort of considering doing all of my in-state traveling by train, despite the longer trip. No security, more leg room, no stupid rules about tray tables, when you can stand up, when you can use certain electronics, etc etc.

I mean, it might take 8 hours for me to get to San Francisco from LA, as opposed to 2 if I take a plane, but then there's the 3+ hours I spend checking my bags, going through security, and getting my bags from baggage claim when I fly. So the difference isn't ridiculous, and it's a lot more enjoyable.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Plus there's the prospect of talking and playing with awesome people over the prospect of sitting next to Crying Baby With Ignorant Mother #91842-D or Man Who Smells Like Rhino Shit #71315-M.

At least that's what I'm looking forward to.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Arikado wrote: »
    Plus there's the prospect of talking and playing with awesome people over the prospect of sitting next to Crying Baby With Ignorant Mother #91842-D or Man Who Smells Like Rhino Shit #71315-M.

At least that's what I'm looking forward to.

Well, on this trip specifically, sure.

I'd imagine on a random train trip, though, you'd encounter a similar subset of the population as you would on a plane. Maybe not, though.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • The Angry CeltThe Angry Celt Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You might, but you don't have to spend any of the trip in your seat, except to sleep.

The Angry Celt on
    edited June 2008
    You might, but you don't have to spend any of the trip in your seat, except to sleep.

Point taken.

Score another for trains.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • SakebombSakebomb Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Tickets purchased and in the mail
    Thank you for choosing Amtrak. Please save or print this page for your records.

Reservation Number: *****

THIS IS NOT A TICKET
    This confirmation notice is not a ticket. You must obtain a ticket before boarding.

TICKETING INFORMATION
    We will send your tickets by Express Delivery. Deliveries are made from Monday through Friday only. Someone must be present to sign for the delivery. A $15.00 fee will be assessed for this service. For more information, please visit http://www.amtrak.com/TicketingOptions.html

IMPORTANT POLICIES

For important identification requirements, please visit http://www.amtrak.com/IDrequirements.html.

For important baggage policy information, please visit http://www.amtrak.com/BaggagePolicy.html.

Please Note: All Amtrak trains (except the Auto Train) are non-smoking.

PASSENGER INFORMATION
    Passenger 1: Sakebomb
    Passenger 2: Guest1
    Passenger 3: Guest2
    Passenger 4: Guest3

ITINERARY
    ============================================================
    Los Angeles - Union Station, CA (LAX) to Seattle, WA (SEA)
    27-AUG-08; 10:15 am - 28-AUG-08; 8:45 pm
    ============================================================

I love it when a plan comes together

Sakebomb on
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    please tell me you didn't actually put your name down as sakebomb...

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Your propaganda interests me... I will see about joining you fine fellows on the train trip later today or tomorrow. (Los Angeles)

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited June 2008
    Qs23 wrote: »
    please tell me you didn't actually put your name down as sakebomb...

no, but that would be totally awesome!

Sakebomb on
  • HaikufrenzyHaikufrenzy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah then when they ask about it he could just start yelling "SAKEBOMB!" Then mimic with his hands like an atomic bomb dropping.

Dammit now I'm considering doing that....

Haikufrenzy on
    RazorbackKing.png
  • ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    For the record, Sake Bombs are a wicked good time. Although probably not feasible on a moving train car.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited June 2008
    I'm actually working on a coffee table book that indexes the complete gamut of people you meet on a train.

PAXtrain will not go un-noted.

Unknown User on
    edited June 2008
    i never understood the idea behind the coffee table book, do people read them? or are they there just for looks?

and if they are just a decoration, does the material in the book really matter?

The_Reflection on
  • sobjwsobjw Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    i never understood the idea behind the coffee table book, do people read them? or are they there just for looks?

What if you had a coffee table book about coffee tables?

sobjw on
    I live on a farm.
  • TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    kramer did that on seinfeld . . . it was a coffee table book about coffee tables that was itself a mini coffee table with little unfoldable feet

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
  • neurosliceneuroslice Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I am going to be on the WCTT again this year.
    But not much drinking for me, that's what got me all paranoid last year.

Boarding at Salinas, CA.

neuroslice on
    Hotel bound on PAX Saturday,
    I exclaimed "Khoo is my Sensei!"
    So if memes make great shirts,
    And Pod Six is Jerks,
    Then Moe, Khoo and I had our day.
    edited June 2008
    kramer did that on seinfeld . . . it was a coffee table book about coffee tables that was itself a mini coffee table with little unfoldable feet

I remember that!

Gee Whiz, Cosmo Kramer had the best ideas. I still think a perfume that makes you smell like the beach would be a big seller

The_Reflection on
  • The Angry CeltThe Angry Celt Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    a perfume or cologne that smells like cheesecake.

The Angry Celt on
  • sobjwsobjw Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Kramerica Industries: Where quality is our #1 dream.

P.S. If anyone from the train trip is looking for a hotel room to crash in, send me a PM.

sobjw on
    I live on a farm.
  • georobgeorob Registered User new member
    edited June 2008
    Hmm, it seems I may be an army of one. I'll be hopping on at Emeryville, CA. (The 5.5th Arcadian Sniper Brigade?) Last year was my first time to PAX and I did the train trip, it was awesome. I'm really looking forward to meeting fellow PAXers again and will try to bring games / snacks / fire waterto share. :)

Oh, and thanks Agustus for organizing this!

georob on
    XboxLive: georobGWJ
    WoW - Cinster
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited June 2008

the idea is for it to be both decoration, and something that someone will look at when they are bored/waiting for something. It's like magazines at the doctors office, but for your living room.

Unknown User on
    edited June 2008
    What game should I get for the train?

This
    51a13NFWUWL._SS500_.jpg

or this

516VA0RXWKL._SS400_.jpg

?

Sakebomb on
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Sakebomb wrote: »
    What game should I get for the train?

This
    51a13NFWUWL._SS500_.jpg

If I could lime an image I would. In fact, I might buy this for myself.

SlickShughes on
    edited June 2008
    I remember playing it back in high school, was a good time.
    Although I was high alot back then.

Sakebomb on
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You guys really bring that big of things on the train? Whoa. And here I was thinking of bringing just a bunch of more portable card games and DS games, maybe my chess set at the most.

Though now that I think about it... with people bringing on consoles and associated equipment, with snacks, etc., that doesn't seem nearly as unusual. Hmm, I could stand to reevaluate my gameplan just a little bit.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited June 2008
    dude, I had heroquest when I was a kid, best fucking board game ever.

if someone brings that to play on the train, gifts will be bestowed upon them.

The_Reflection on
    edited June 2008
    dude, I had heroquest when I was a kid, best fucking board game ever.

if someone brings that to play on the train, gifts will be bestowed upon them.

It has been decided then!
    12 more days til payday.....

Sakebomb on
    edited June 2008
    i call wizard!

The_Reflection on
  • Eric_ResEric_Res Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Has anything happened in the past few months that I should know about? I bought my train ticket/badge around January/February and a friend of mine already reserved a hotel room around that time as well.

Eric_Res on
    QdEHg.png
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Eric_Res wrote: »
    Has anything happened in the past few months that I should know about? I bought my train ticket/badge around January/February and a friend of mine already reserved a hotel room around that time as well.

If you or your friend planned on bringing something you could check the list to make sure no one else is bringing it, or if you are already bring something an update if you need to. Other then that is it just getting more awesome by the day.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Only major change is that if you're in Portland or north you can take the train everyone else is on.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
  • Eric_ResEric_Res Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Alright then, I will be boarding in Los Angeles so no need to worry then...

Earlier I said I would bring a small electric fan, this is still occurring.

Eric_Res on
    QdEHg.png
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So I thought you guys might be interested in this section of the Amtrak website that I noticed today when I was buying tickets (Not for the WCTT, sorry. I'm out on the East coast and will be joining the CCST to get to PAX.) But anyway,

It seems that Amtrak is posting it's historical on-time performance on it's website.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Coast Starlight
    (Seattle - Portland - Los Angeles)

On-Time Performance
    May 2008: 85.1%
    Last 12 Months: 78.1%

Primary Cause of Delays
    May 2008
    Train Interference: 41.0%

* 85.2% on Union Pacific
    * 8.0% on Burlington Northern Santa Fe
    * 6.8% on S.C.R.R.A. (Moorpark to LAX)

Track and Signals: 38.9%

* 93.7% on Union Pacific
    * 6.1% on Burlington Northern Santa Fe
    * 0.1% on S.C.R.R.A. (Moorpark to LAX)

Operational: 5.4%

* 77.9% on Union Pacific
    * 11.3% on S.C.R.R.A. (Moorpark to LAX)
    * 10.8% on Burlington Northern Santa Fe

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    georob wrote: »
    Hmm, it seems I may be an army of one. I'll be hopping on at Emeryville, CA. (The 5.5th Arcadian Sniper Brigade?) Last year was my first time to PAX and I did the train trip, it was awesome. I'm really looking forward to meeting fellow PAXers again and will try to bring games / snacks / fire water to share. :)

Oh, and thanks Agustus for organizing this!

Hey Georob, if all goes to plan we'll be seeing you there. (although technically marked as San Francisco, but if the Coast Starlight hits that side of the bay we're all in trouble.) This is my second year, too, and amazingly enough I made the exact same mistake as last time and forgot I could book from Jack London. :P

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
This discussion has been closed.