As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

West Coast Train Trip 2008: Communist Edition

• Options
    The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    so, apparently the CCST now has their own t-shirt and button.

Anyone wanna make us a shirt and button, or hat or other cool shit to make us equally as awesome? I think a shirt with the line "toot toot fuckers" would sell like hot cakes

The_Reflection on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I thought the shirts were "in-progress" but I haven't seen much since...2-3 pages ago.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    DStalefishDStalefish Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    *cough* page 8 *cough*

DStalefish on
    [E] 09, 10E, 10P, 11E, 11P, 12E
  • Options
    SakebombSakebomb Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    DStalefish wrote: »
    *cough* page 8 *cough*

Do you have them in babydoll style too?

Sakebomb on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    okay, but i didnt see a link to buy them. Am I blind or has it not gone up yet?

The_Reflection on
  • Options
    The Angry CeltThe Angry Celt Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    DStalefish wrote: »
    *cough* page 8 *cough*
    Hook me up with a XXXL when they are ready.

The Angry Celt on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Not taking orders just yet. We'll let everyone know. :)

And yes, should be able to get any size, and babydoll as well. Might have to make the babydolls special orders because I can't imagine the demand being too high compared to normal tees, so I might post in a little while and ask for babydoll orders.

DStalefish on
  • Options
    Spark itSpark it Registered User new member
    edited June 2008
    I'm going to be leaving from Union Station also. This will be my first PAX so I have pretty high hopes everything will be awesome. I'll be bringing delicious beer and other alcohol so get ready for that. Also bringing a PS3 and probably a Wii depending on if it's wanted.

Spark it on
  • Options
    AugustusAugustus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    neuroslice wrote: »
    I am going to be on the WCTT again this year.
    But not much drinking for me, that's what got me all paranoid last year.

Boarding at Salinas, CA.

Hey Gavin! Wassup? Roping you in the San Jose group for the listing.

Got confirmation from my bouncer Tribble, he's in.

OH GOD the front page post is getting so long I'm bucking the post size requirements

If you're in the Portland Guards, post confirming a switchover from the Cascades to the Coast Starlight!

Augustus on
    I belong to no organized party. I am a Democrat. - Will Rogers
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Don't forget to put me on the Los Angeles list! I won't be left out!

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    elilasolelilasol Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hello all. I will be on this train starting in Salem, OR. See you all at 2:00 pm or sometime close to that!

Sucks i'll miss the Rock Band tournament, I woulda loved to participate.

Also, it looks like I will be bringing a 360 and a copy of rockband, as well as some microphones. Guitars/drums are too big to fit in a backpack/duffel so those are out.

elilasol on
  • Options
    RCars2RCars2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Comms Update. I got the approval/blessing of our commisar (quote Augustus, "FUCKING AWESOME") for acquiring provisions to address the wonky internet issue of traveling the rail. I got the inspiration actually from an episode of Systm on Revision3.com. It may be overkill (only 61.5db total gain and 3 watts of power, hehehehe) but i figured i might share for giggles and to pre-warn that I will get this setup. And no this wont cause brain cancer if you stand next to it.

http://www.rfwel.com/shop/product.php?productid=1098&quantity=1

http://www.rfwel.com/shop/product.php?productid=111&quantity=1

I should have it in the next few paychecks and will start doing testing prior to PAX. I wanna see what this sucker can do. :winky:

So um Moe, you gonna throw down for one of these for the CCST?

RCars2 on
    carlinsig.png
  • Options
    LordKawaiiLordKawaii Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    WOO, I just got put up on the list! This will be my first trip to PAX and I think that I might be more excited about the train ride then the actual con! :)

LordKawaii on
  • Options
    paroxamoreparoxamore Registered User new member
    edited June 2008
    Count me in to board the People's Train at Union Station in PDX! :)

paroxamore on
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    RCars2 wrote: »
    Comms Update. I got the approval/blessing of our commisar (quote Augustus, "FUCKING AWESOME") for acquiring provisions to address the wonky internet issue of traveling the rail. I got the inspiration actually from an episode of Systm on Revision3.com. It may be overkill (only 61.5db total gain and 3 watts of power, hehehehe) but i figured i might share for giggles and to pre-warn that I will get this setup. And no this wont cause brain cancer if you stand next to it.

I should have it in the next few paychecks and will start doing testing prior to PAX. I wanna see what this sucker can do. :winky:

Um, since I'm in charge of that for the CCST, I can give you the answer. No. Cell service in the middle of the country is shitty, and Montana is where that shit decided to take a shit. Right now I'm working on a plan to have the CCST have an intranet while we're on the road and while we're stopped, have it be able to connect up to whatever wifi we can find.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Qs23 wrote: »

Um, since I'm in charge of that for the CCST, I can give you the answer. No. Cell service in the middle of the country is shitty, and Montana is where that shit decided to take a shit. Right now I'm working on a plan to have the CCST have an intranet while we're on the road and while we're stopped, have it be able to connect up to whatever wifi we can find.

Thats the beauty of this system is that in areas where signal is shit to non existent you can gain several bars of service. Talking to shop that im buying this from, it works really well in remote area with wide open spaces (much like montana) so this could be worth a shot. Up to you though if ya wanna invest in the system. Gotta admit, would be cool if we could keep a comm line up from both trips most of the way but eh, limited access is better than none.

RCars2 on
    carlinsig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I love this train.

DStalefish on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    If we keep adding stuff to this train, I'm afraid it will be more awesome than PAX.

Arikado on
  • Options
    nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Arikado wrote: »
    If we keep adding stuff to this train, I'm afraid it will be more awesome than PAX.

Nah, PAX is the mother of all awesomeness. The WCTT and CCST are more like bonus levels opened to those who put in a little more time commitment to unlock them. :D

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited June 2008
    Think of it like a movie. You have all this build-up, then the climax, then the cool down.

...okay I guess you could think about it like sex too, if that suits you better

Either way, that's how it flows when you add that extra day or two in. And it makes PAX that much more satisfying.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    The Angry CeltThe Angry Celt Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So, now I need a smoke after PAX is over.

The Angry Celt on
  • Options
    TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    And I'm spent.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    i can go again, i take herbal supplements

The_Reflection on
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Thats the beauty of this system is that in areas where signal is shit to non existent you can gain several bars of service. Talking to shop that im buying this from, it works really well in remote area with wide open spaces (much like montana) so this could be worth a shot. Up to you though if ya wanna invest in the system. Gotta admit, would be cool if we could keep a comm line up from both trips most of the way but eh, limited access is better than none.

Ok, but then we run into the problem... most of the major companies don't have their own stuff in the middle of the country. Check out any of the coverage maps from Verizon, AT&T, T-mobile and Sprint. It's all roaming on other people's networks and the ability to get data going, if these backwoods networks actually do data, ABOVE 35 kbps would be a godsend.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I figure once we're beyond the central valley, we should be able to maintain a pretty good connection to the webs.

Arikado on
  • Options
    strongesthylianstrongesthylian Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    By the way, two (2) more friends are joining me.
    So that would make it
    strongesthylian + 3 friends.

strongesthylian on
    Now known as Rondhi. Too lazy to make a new user account.
  • Options
    ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    There's going to be 100+ gamers on this train by the time we reach Seattle. That's just insane.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    well, I just saw Wanted, and now dont know if I want to go on this train. I have two questions.

1) Does the train go over and large bridges with massive canyons underneath them?

2) is anyone here an assassin trained by Morgan Freeman?

The_Reflection on
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    well, I just saw Wanted, and now dont know if I want to go on this train. I have two questions.

1) Does the train go over and large bridges with massive canyons underneath them?

No and no as far as you know.

And a friendly reminder but if you are bringing stuff PM me so we can get your stuff added on the list to help organize the trip better.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

I am an assassin, but fortunately for all of you I was trained by Samuel L Jackson so instead of jumping from trains and shooting people I just swear very loudly.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    TyberiusTyberius Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I've been away from these forums quite awhile and still plan to go to PAX via WCTT, are there any spots available for a hotel room that are also taking the train? I'll be leaving from LA if the tickets are still available (reasonable in price).

Tyberius on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Augustus, you offered me no job? When I somehow became second in charge during the trip? After I berated you in my best french accent? That hurts.

(I will be going this year, on the train. I have no idea how I'm going to afford the trip, I currently only have thirty dollars to my name, but damnit, I'm going.)

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    i am excited guys! it is so close!

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Ok, but then we run into the problem... most of the major companies don't have their own stuff in the middle of the country. Check out any of the coverage maps from Verizon, AT&T, T-mobile and Sprint. It's all roaming on other people's networks and the ability to get data going, if these backwoods networks actually do data, ABOVE 35 kbps would be a godsend.

but....ok i got nothin'. Though i suppose it would be handy to at least be able to make calls in the middle of butt f*ck nowhere. And even if you do lose data service in some spots (or even drop to 1xrtt....*shudder*), getting something in places you normally wouldnt is still a bonus. Even on the train with the uber amp i still think that some random areas will be out of reach and thats fine. We'll take what we can get.

And speaking of backwoods areas, often those are some of the best spots for data. Less use = less conjestion and more throughput. This holds true for verizon anyway. Driving from Indio, CA to Phoenix, AZ I was keeping a connection of 1-1.5mbit (one spot i got 2.2mbit) with only a couple random spots where it dropped to around 256kbps. Thats acceptible really and definately way better than dial up. Heck it was enough to stream internet radio and even watch vids on youtube with tolerable buffer time.

RCars2 on
    carlinsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    any word on the WCTT shirt?
    after seeing the one for the flying to pax people, I want a shirt for our endevour so bad.

The_Reflection on
  • Options
    HaikufrenzyHaikufrenzy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I believe there is a shirt for the PAX train trip eariler in the topic somewhere....

Btw, as a first time train-er... should I bring money to get a cab or something else, or will the hotels (Sharaton in my case) be within' good walking condition?

Haikufrenzy on
    RazorbackKing.png
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I believe there is a shirt for the PAX train trip eariler in the topic somewhere....

Btw, as a first time train-er... should I bring money to get a cab or something else, or will the hotels (Sharaton in my case) be within' good walking condition?

The sheraton is a bit of a walk. I mean, I walked there from the station, but it took a little bit. If you're in good shape, dont have like 3 bags packed with stuff, you should be good to go.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    yes there is a shirt but its not available, so I ask again, anyone know the status of said shirt?

The_Reflection on
  • Options
    neurosliceneuroslice Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    just bought my train ticket. woot!

neuroslice on
    Hotel bound on PAX Saturday,
    I exclaimed "Khoo is my Sensei!"
    So if memes make great shirts,
    And Pod Six is Jerks,
    Then Moe, Khoo and I had our day.
  • Options
    CleggerClegger Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    What!?!? LOL I'm on that Video! I'm the guy flicking the Uno card lol

OMG where do I begin, I had such a blast last time riding up on the train. It was so much fun, drinking, playing uno, playing guitar hero, listening to the cafe car guys jokes (that guy was hilarious btw). Because of complications I had to fly home so I didn't get to ride back with everyone, but I can't wait for this year.

Book me on this thing for sure! 8-)

Edit: Just watched the video again, and it wasn't uno, it was that one game (can't think of it right now) but it was fun :)

Clegger on
This discussion has been closed.