As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

So Life Is Expensive (Pyramid Schemers Need Not Apply)

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I need to: Move into city
Get Apartment (with roommates to mitigate cost)
Pay for Summer Classes (which aren't covered by FAFSA)
Find a job that pays more than 7.60/hour
Avoid Student Loans (They are looking more and more likely)

How can I mitigate my costs enough to not get student loans or run up mass amounts of debt?

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on

• VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    As Thanatos would no doubt tell you if he was here, don't be afraid of student loans. Student Loans are as close to a "free loan" as you can get in this lifetime. (No interest, etc...) So even if you just took out the loan and threw it into a savings account to collect interest on it, you'd be making yourself free money.

Think about that. It's really a good deal.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well... Subsidized Federal student loans sure. Unsubsidized loans (and private loans obviously) accrue interest during school, even though you don't start paying them back until after graduation.

Daenris on
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Even then, the interest is tax deductable and helps your credit score. It's still money you have to pay back, but it's the best way to pay for college.

The only time it's bad is when you get a loan to go to a stupidly expensive school for no reason. Like going to, I don't know, some private school for an art degree, and then not having a job or any leads but 60k in debt.

It's far better to get a loan and be able to focus on your classes than burn the wick at both ends and do poorly in school.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Totally BonerTotally Boner __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    This makes me feel good.

Totally Boner on
  • brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Don't know what you do for a living now, but you could always look for a job that may kick out a money in tuition reimbursment. Thats what I'm doing now, so far its saved me 8k in my first year alone.

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Don't know what you do for a living now, but you could always look for a job that may kick out a money in tuition reimbursment. Thats what I'm doing now, so far its saved me 8k in my first year alone.
    I make 7.60 an hour working in a warehouse.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I don't even have to post in these threads, anymore.

Thanatos on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    I don't even have to post in these threads, anymore.

We learn from your wisdom amigo! ;)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Loans are a lot better than not having a degree.

And good internships in the big cities usually pay at least $10. Just stay away from non-profits, which usually only pay the interns in fields where real work is done (as opposed to answering phones and licking stamps). The exception is places with a great name, which often pay minimum wage, or nothing, because it looks great on a resume.

supabeast on
  • PeekingDuckPeekingDuck __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    You generally cost yourself money by not taking out subsidized student loans. When did people get the crazy idea that all loans are bad? My wife was the same way...

PeekingDuck on
  • DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well, at least at my high school there was basically no explanation of the whole financial aid/student loan status. They said 'go to college' and maybe told us about when to start applying. That was it.

Luckily my parents had already gone through it all with 5 kids before me, so they knew pretty much everything.

Daenris on