As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Romantic Date Ideas

joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So my girlfriend of one year plus is coming to see me after about a week of separation. I know 'IM' suppoed to think of romantic things, being the whole point of romance, but i have a very dull imagination. I was thinking me cooking dinner, etc, but can anyone recommend anything in particular? And I can't for the life of me think of a way to, well, make that sexy. Its been a week without afterall. So any forum based casanova's lend a hand?

joshua1 on

• joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    oh, and by separation, i meant she just went home to see her family for a bit.

joshua1 on
  • anonywhoanonywho Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Go on a picnic, doesn't have to be a park, the beach is good too, go shopping together before hand. Make her a CD of her favorite songs and bring a boombox.

anonywho on
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    If you're up for it, cooking together can be a great way to spend time together. This is assuming of course you don't suck at it and you have a kitchen that can fit 2 people. Recommended menu item: Risotto. It is delicious, full of win, and requires near constant but minimal attention - perfect for standing about in the kitchen chatting. I've always thought food cooked yourself was way more romantic than fancy restaurant food.

SlickShughes on
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I have to agree with the "lets cook together" idea. Another great food to make together, especially if she's not much of a chef, is pizza. It's super-easy to whip up a batch of dough beforehand, and then it's just a matter of rolling out the dough, putting toppings on it, and throwing it in the oven.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
    edited March 2008
    The picnic would rock, cept its miserable at them moment here. I just got off the phone from her and it seems that we might have to go see a friend of hers for a birthday and that there will not be much time for some long romancing, but she has said she will put off her friends for a few hours for us to have some "fun". Since she is a neat freak I have sunk time into making the room tidy, got her some belated easter chocolate and candy aswell as a pot plant (she dropped a hint about wanting one for her room at college). There are a plethora of candles laid out and a playlist picked (although im not sure what exactly is romantic music, i just picked some of my quieter songs). Anything else I should do? It just seems a little un-original is all. Thanks for the help so far.

joshua1 on
    edited March 2008
    joshua1 wrote: »
    a few hours for us to have some "fun".

sounds like you can skip dinner and get right to the main event. ;-)

As far as music goes, pick music she likes and you'll be safe. Candles are always a good move as well. Don't worry so much about originallity, just putting in the effort is probably enough. Oh, a nice bottle of wine never hurt anything either. If that easter candy was a dark chocolate rabbit, snag a bottle of port to go with it and you can't lose.

Also,
    ...a pot plant (she dropped a hint about wanting one for her room at college)...

You did mean potted, right? Cause otherwise, that's a whole different party, and you probably shouldn't skip dinner.

SlickShughes on
    edited March 2008
    haha, defiantly potted plant. Huh....never thought of it that way. Hmmmm, dark chocolate..... i should get some of that.

joshua1 on
  • grendel824_grendel824_ Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Do all of the above, but in the nude.

I guarantee it will work. If it doesn't, I will take full responsibility and take her as my girlfriend until everything is even.

grendel824_ on
    edited March 2008
    So i've decided to go with the candle schtick, but I spiced it up with a few choice purchases from my local happy high herb and honey birdette shops. Hope it all goes well! Thanks for the help.

joshua1 on
  • LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    When you see her surprise her with flowers. Keep it behind you or hidden and whip them out! She'll be happy to see them and you!

LondonBridge on
  • Victor15bVictor15b Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    PRICELESS ADVICE HERE:

Whatever you decide to do, DONT TELL HER.
    Call her up a day or two before she comes back and say "Hey, Ive got something special for you"
    When she says "Really what is it?" tell her its a secret or a suprise or something. AND DONT CAVE!!

This will build excitement and suspense, and she will love it. It dosent matter what it is. Something as simple as a walk in the park or a picnic, or dinner on the patio is that much more awesome when you build it up like that.

Thats the secret to being "spontaneous"

Victor15b on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Have you bought the plant yet? What kind of plant does she like? My fiancee was dropping similar hints so I got a pot of assorted cool looking succulents and she loved it. Easy to take care of, they look cool, and they are relatively uncommon.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2008
    I ended up getting her a hyacinth that matched the colour of her room. Although in hindsight they look a bit phallic. The night went well in the end, we went out dancing and ran into some of her friends. I think next week I will take her on a picnic, moving the furniture aside for a picnic inside if it is raining. Thanks all. Maybe this thread can be used for guys to share wooing advice?

joshua1 on
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This has already been mentioned once or twice, but just in case there's any doubt on the subject,
    cook for her.

If you can't cook? Find a recipe and practice until you can. Cooking = love.
    What women want is often surprisingly close to what men want. Spend time with me, show me you value me (as opposed to that boring old telling me jazz), and be sure to squeeze me.

Also, cook for me.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    My wife loves it when i cook for her out of the blue.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Chance wrote: »
    This has already been mentioned once or twice, but just in case there's any doubt on the subject,

cook for her.

If you can't cook? Find a recipe and practice until you can. Cooking = love.
    What women want is often surprisingly close to what men want. Spend time with me, show me you value me (as opposed to that boring old telling me jazz), and be sure to squeeze me.

Also, cook for me.

Yah, this. My lil secret? If I'm trying to impress someone, I get enough for what I'm making times 2. The day before, I run through the whole meal, start to finish, making mental notes on timing, mixtures and spices. You want things to be ready more or less at the same time, and high end desserts should be made and decorated the day before (or 90% of it). That way when you're cooking together, you look like you're on it, because you are, everything turns out fabulous, and it feels like you just whipped everything up on the spot (cuz you did, you just practiced first).

Ironically enough, the key to spontanuity is planning, preparation and practice.

Sarcastro on
    edited March 2008
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    My wife loves it when i cook for her out of the blue.

I do the cooking every night, it loses some of its romance :(. I do still say cooking together if a winner though, no matter what. Basically, just changing it up, step out of the routine and what not.

SlickShughes on
    edited March 2008
    Hehe, im with SlickShughes, I do the cooking in the house. Its kind of the reverse in my position. If she wants to impress me, she cooks. In a thong. And high heels.

joshua1 on
    edited March 2008
    If she wants to impress me, she cooks. In a thong. And high heels.

I will be pointing out this thread to my wife now. You have done me a great service.

I'd have to say though, her menu selections must be limited. You don't want hot oil or anything of the sort around when you're cooking semi-nude.

SlickShughes on
    edited March 2008
    It usually involves something for the oven, so as to have much bending over.

joshua1 on