As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC RPGs (I'm sorry)

FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night manChampion of the sunRegistered User regular
edited March 2008 in Games and Technology
I want to search for an existing thread, but it's hard to search "RPG" and "PC" since they're both under 4 characters long.

Basically, all the threads I've found recommend games like Icewind and Baldur's Gate, but I'm looking for something different.

I want a single character RPG. I don't care how old it is, but I would like some significant depth in character development. Preferably, a D&D-esque creation system. Before anyone screams it out, I've played the shit out of Fallout 1 and 2.

Also, it would help if it would run decently on WinXP.. I've been trying all my old Ultima disks/CDs and it's just horrible to play these days... the game looked and played a lot better when I was 9.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
Figgy on

• Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Quest For Glory series.

devoir on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Planescape: Torment

Tav on
  • Options
    lostcawzlostcawz Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity are good, deep, and somewhat of a cross between Ultimas and Diablo.

Eschalon: Book 1 seems like a good choice so far as well.

The Gothic series has a good rep (from what I recall) if you can get past some wonky controls.

lostcawz on
    Vantheron: Captain on Landroval
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Tav wrote: »
    Planescape: Torment

Great game, but it's party-based.

Figgy on
  • Options
    LaonarLaonar Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    lostcawz wrote: »
    Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity are good, deep, and somewhat of a cross between Ultimas and Diablo.

The Gothic series has a good rep (from what I recall) if you can get past some wonky controls.

Gothic 3 is a good game, and fun but its extremely buggy as heck.

The Guild 2 is a good choice, and its different. You control a family trying to make it in a medieval type setting. Its pretty neat

Always Oblivion that is a great game with many mods and things to do.

Hellgate london is not bad for a fps/rpg

Laonar on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

I bought Gothic III and loved it for about 30 minutes.. but I couldn't get past the controls and combat system. It's too bad because it had such promise.

I'll look into the other two, thanks.

Figgy on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The Witcher

Oblivion (requires half a dozen mods though.)

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Laonar wrote: »

Gothic 3 is a good game, and fun but its extremely buggy as heck.

The Guild 2 is a good choice, and its different. You control a family trying to make it in a medieval type setting. Its pretty neat

Always Oblivion that is a great game with many mods and things to do.

Hellgate london is not bad for a fps/rpg

I'm considering re-installing Oblivion and trying out all the mods and such. The one thing I didn't like about that game was how much time I spent doing nothing. I guess my problem is that I got too into the 'role playing' experience and role played my lazy-ass self.

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    The Witcher

Oblivion (requires half a dozen mods though.)

Witcher was great. I beat that... but I didn't manage to sleep with all the ladies.

Figgy on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    devoir wrote: »
    Quest For Glory series.

Seconded. The Quest for Glory games are rather unique in that they're half old school graphic adventure games and half RPGs. Rather good replay value as well since the games are different depending on which class you choose.

The first three are available on GameTap. Sadly 4 & 5 are not.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Vampire: Bloodlines

Xagarath on
  • Options
    vdanhalenvvdanhalenv Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It's a shame it's such a small genere, I would like to see more games along those lines.

As for whats out there anything even remotely playable has probably already been mentioned

vdanhalenv on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Fallout isn't single character, you hypocrite you. ;-)

How about Daggerfall? Much better than Morrowind or Oblivion.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    vdanhalenv wrote: »
    It's a shame it's such a small genere, I would like to see more games along those lines.

As for whats out there anything even remotely playable has probably already been mentioned

You're probably right. I guess I was hoping there was something out there I somehow never heard of...

I might go pick up the GOTY Edition of Oblivion for the expansions and then check out the mod thread here....

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Fallout can be :)

I actually tried to play Daggerfall a month ago.. I borrowed the game and basically spent 3 hours trying to get it to work with Dosbox. When it finally did, the game kept crashing every 5 minutes.

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Figgy wrote: »

Fallout can be :)

I actually tried to play Daggerfall a month ago.. I borrowed the game and basically spent 3 hours trying to get it to work with Dosbox. When it finally did, the game kept crashing every 5 minutes.

Sounds exactly like the Daggerfall I remember!

Man what a ride. Not like Morrowind is that much more stable mind.

Oblivion is, but its a bit more boring than the other two.

I guess you could do Planescape:Torment only using the main character.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I bought Gothic III and loved it for about 30 minutes.. but I couldn't get past the controls and combat system. It's too bad because it had such promise.

Gothic 1 and 2 have a really fun story and an interesting world to explore. They're not all that much to look at, and the controls are unusual (but definitely not gimped, once you've learned how to use them - hint: there's timing involved if you want to chain sword swings together), but it's a very enjoyable experience. Add to this a definite feeling of "wow I'm a badass now" by the time you've reached the midgame, and a very freeform gameplay that allows you to break outside the expected character progression, with moderate risk mind you, by exploring the map for powerful weapons and artifacts as early on as you can handle.

I remember once I was wandering around at level 2, hardly able to swat flies, let alone face skeletons. Yet somehow I was able to sneak past a horde of them (skeletons, not flies) to the base of a sorceror's tower, where a corpse with a massive battleaxe lay cooking in the sun. I pilfered the behemoth of a weapon, scuttled back out of the valley, and had something awesome to start putting strength points toward using. ;)

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Quest For Glory series.

Seconded. The Quest for Glory games are rather unique in that they're half old school graphic adventure games and half RPGs. Rather good replay value as well since the games are different depending on which class you choose.

The first three are available on GameTap. Sadly 4 & 5 are not.

They pretty much were my first computer games and have spoiled me. I hate party based RPGs, and the Elder Scrolls games felt so lifeless and dull compared to the QFG series.

In later years I've ended up drifting over to the action RPG end of the market. Mythos captures some of the humour and spirit QFG had, although the story is not exactly there.

I reckon that a QFG revival in episodic format could work. Transfer your character from episode to episode, perhaps even in no particular order as long as the character was in an appropriate level range.

devoir on
  • Options
    [Assassination Attempt!][Assassination Attempt!] __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    I second The Witcher, kinda slow starting out and a bit wonky but it exudes style. The story 'aint half bad either.

And Duh! KOTOR 1+2!!

I also recommend Sacred, somehow combines nearly diablo-level addictive gameplay but is not plastic, it has a depth to the world. Just make sure it's up to date.

Ultima Underworlds are good old-school dosboxers...

Goodluck.

[Assassination Attempt!] on
    mindliberator.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Play Gothic II, not Gothic III.

Gothic III is just... ugh. Horrific bugs, crawling in my skin.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Gothic's heart is in the right place but I could never commit because of it's rough around the edges nature.

mindliberator.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    And Duh! KOTOR 1+2!!

KOTOR games are party-based.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    ur right my bad..still tho

mindliberator.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    And Duh! KOTOR 1+2!!

KOTOR games are party-based.

Kill them off or go into sneak mode the whole time...

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Are there any good choices along these lines for those of us on macs?

Preferably ALSO with neato mods?

yalborap on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Morrowind and mod the shit out of it. Starting with this.

EDIT: Not talking to yalborap.

Becase: heh heh no.

august on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    If you're fine with indie/shareware games, check out the Geneforge series. Only party members are mutant critters created by magic and playing God that you can choose to make or ignore in favor of spells and stabbing things.

And for yalborap, there are Mac versions of Geneforge.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    yalborap wrote: »
    Are there any good choices along these lines for those of us on macs?

Preferably ALSO with neato mods?

Have you looked into Wine at all? I dabbled a bit while trying to get LOTRO to run on my macbook (which was a nightmare).

Edit: http://www.winehq.org/

It also mentions Crossover, which just released Crossover Games. It's a commercial version of what Wine basically does. Supports lots of new games, and there's a trial available. It looks like it supports Morrowind, but not Oblivion. Wine might be able to do it, though.

Figgy on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    Yep. I don't care how buggy it is, it's still great.

I might also throw Fable and Jade Empire out there. Jade Empire, I know, is technically party-based, but your party is so bloody useless they might as well not be there.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    fallaxdracofallaxdraco Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Am I the only one who ever played the Champions of Krynn series? ANCIENT, also, party based, but I still really loved it.

Thirded on Vampire: Bloodlines. Absolutely amazing game, one of the most underrated ever.

Also, Neverwinter Nights. The first one is pretty much a single-character rpg(the NPCs are useful only as minor backup,) and there are HUNDREDS of modules that are actually worth playing, many of which are much better than the single player campaigns. Hordes of the Underdark actually was not bad in and of itself.

I STRONGLY urge you to pick up NWN if you've never tried it, you won't be disappointed, as it is the most cost effective game ever released if nothing else, thanks to all the free modules.

KOTOR and KOTOR 2 are out for PC now, I think, and they are really good as well.

NWN2 is pretty good as well, especially mask of the betrayer, even though it's not really a single character one like the first NWN was.

fallaxdraco on
  • Options
    MasoniteMasonite Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    There was a thread similar to this posted last month, you can see what was recommended here.

You can play IE games with a solo character, they're still fun. You miss out on any party banter, but it makes the game more challenging. I'll recommend Arx Fatalis anyway. It was intended as a sequel to UU and UU2, so I'm sure it has a lot of similarities.

Masonite on
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Gothic 1 and 2 have a really fun story and an interesting world to explore. They're not all that much to look at, and the controls are unusual (but definitely not gimped, once you've learned how to use them - hint: there's timing involved if you want to chain sword swings together), but it's a very enjoyable experience. Add to this a definite feeling of "wow I'm a badass now" by the time you've reached the midgame, and a very freeform gameplay that allows you to break outside the expected character progression, with moderate risk mind you, by exploring the map for powerful weapons and artifacts as early on as you can handle.

I remember once I was wandering around at level 2, hardly able to swat flies, let alone face skeletons. Yet somehow I was able to sneak past a horde of them (skeletons, not flies) to the base of a sorceror's tower, where a corpse with a massive battleaxe lay cooking in the sun. I pilfered the behemoth of a weapon, scuttled back out of the valley, and had something awesome to start putting strength points toward using. ;)

I think it's because of the extreme difficulty curve that you feel so great about your character at the end of the game. There's a definite sense of danger with some mobs and group combat is usually very deadly. But if you stick with it, you eventually get ot the point where very little can pose a threat to you, including most of the npcs ;-)

edit: Gothic I and II, havn't played three.

solsovly on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    solsovly wrote: »

I think it's because of the extreme difficulty curve that you feel so great about your character at the end of the game. There's a definite sense of danger with some mobs and group combat is usually very deadly. But if you stick with it, you eventually get ot the point where very little can pose a threat to you, including most of the npcs ;-)

edit: Gothic I and II, havn't played three.
    The thing is, in Gothic 1 IIRC even by the endgame you still can't tackle more than a handful of the orcs all at once - but it's an amazing thing to reach the point where you can start beating them one-on-one. These guys are deadly as hell.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    BurguBurgu Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I second Vampire: Bloodlines

Burgu on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hoping that no one flames this, but Gametap has quite a few good RPGs up that you can play. Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape, and others. I know you're looking for non-party based games, and I think they have some, but those are the ones I've been playing on there from time to time.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    EvilBadman wrote: »

Awww, I thought I was going to be the first to recommend this.

It's a great single-player RPG, though it doesn't have the D&D creation system that you asked for.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I always recommend Sacred to people wanting single-player partyless PC RPGs. It's probably the best Diablo clone out there.

Rigor Mortis on
  • Options
    MooreningMoorening Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I might also throw Fable and Jade Empire out there. Jade Empire, I know, is technically party-based, but your party is so bloody useless they might as well not be there.
    There was a party in Jade Empire? Man, I forgot about them. Fable is one I would also recommend. I had a blast playing that one repeatedly.

Moorening on
    It would appear there ain't no rest for the wicked...who knew?